IGNORED

International Cricket

Monkeh

1 hour ago, Northern Red said:

Ballance has broken a finger, likely out of the next Test. 

Probably a blessing in disguise. 

Talk of Stoneman, Westley or Malan replacing him. I'd go Malan personally, may only have been T20 but showed he had the ability at an international level.

56 minutes ago, hodge said:

Talk of Stoneman, Westley or Malan replacing him. I'd go Malan personally, may only have been T20 but showed he had the ability at an international level.

Yeah I like Malan, looked the part in the T20 and has been consistently decent for a good few years now. Not seen anything of Westley but he seems to be highly rated. Stoneman has been on the fringes for a while now, I think he'll get the nod.

Hameed is playing for Lancs 2nds to try and find some form as the CC is on a break for T20, got 110 today to go with 70-odd last week. No chance of him playing in the rest of this series as he'll need to get runs in the Championship to force his way back in but it wouldn't surprise me if he's in by the end of the summer, with a view to going to Australia.

• Admin
14 hours ago, Northern Red said:

Ballance has broken a finger, likely out of the next Test. 

Probably a blessing in disguise. 

Confirmed as out now

What amazed me yesterday was it came to light the selecters don't actually go out and about watching any of the county games to see what players are playing like and on what sort of pitches they are playing . Selection is done from reading scores ON PAPER !! 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, phantom said:

Confirmed as out now

What amazed me yesterday was it came to light the selecters don't actually go out and about watching any of the county games to see what players are playing like and on what sort of pitches they are playing . Selection is done from reading scores ON PAPER !! 

It's mad isn't it? Somebody might get a big score but you can't tell from a scorecard what the bowling was like, how the pitch played, where they scored their runs.

If they applied that policy back in the day then the likes of Trescothick and Vaughan would never have been picked as their domestic records were nothing special. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, phantom said:

Confirmed as out now

source.gif

• Like 2

So there has been a lot of talk about Englands batsmen not respecting test cricket. Is it not possible that they simply do not know how. Looking at the team from 10/11 ashes, there were a lot of batsmen I would have trusted to stand and play for several hours should they have needed to. 

The last Ashes down under really showed the naivety of not being able to leave a ball. We have Cook and Root who are good players, but are surrounded by players that I'm not sure know how to bat in a test, or adapt themselves to different pitches and scenarios. 

We seem to have a test side made up of players that'd be better suited to an easier or limited overs format where they can swing the bat more liberally at every ball. I'm starting to believe that we just are not that good.

4 hours ago, hodge said:

Looks like Westley is getting the nod with Malan also called up incase they want to play an extra batsman, Dawson retains his place in the squad despite being largely unspectacular. 

Need to play the extra batsmen we don't need 6 bowlers.

On 7/19/2017 at 11:20, Welcome To The Jungle said:

So there has been a lot of talk about Englands batsmen not respecting test cricket. Is it not possible that they simply do not know how. Looking at the team from 10/11 ashes, there were a lot of batsmen I would have trusted to stand and play for several hours should they have needed to. 

The last Ashes down under really showed the naivety of not being able to leave a ball. We have Cook and Root who are good players, but are surrounded by players that I'm not sure know how to bat in a test, or adapt themselves to different pitches and scenarios. 

We seem to have a test side made up of players that'd be better suited to an easier or limited overs format where they can swing the bat more liberally at every ball. I'm starting to believe that we just are not that good.

Leave the ball? The ball is there to be hit! It's the way I play....

Our 'TestTeam' has a number of excellent 'one day players', but is sadly lacking in the 'boring' necessities of Test Match cricket.

9 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Our 'TestTeam' has a number of excellent 'one day players', but is sadly lacking in the 'boring' necessities of Test Match cricket.

Cook was left out of the one day side because it was felt he lacked the instincts to play aggressive shots. He took umbrage at that decision. No doubt that he's a top opening batsman tho but unfortunately he's the only one currently that can open.

Trying to find someone to open with him is a real issue for England. From memory - Compton, Trott, Ballance and Jennings have all struggled in one way or another. There maybe others that I've forgotten as well.

Any team will struggle if they find themselves 2 or 3 down before lunch.

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Cook was left out of the one day side because it was felt he lacked the instincts to play aggressive shots. He took umbrage at that decision. No doubt that he's a top opening batsman tho but unfortunately he's the only one currently that can open.

Trying to find someone to open with him is a real issue for England. From memory - Compton, Trott, Ballance and Jennings have all struggled in one way or another. There maybe others that I've forgotten as well.

Any team will struggle if they find themselves 2 or 3 down before lunch.

Add Mike Carberry to that list