IGNORED

International Cricket

Monkeh

2 hours ago, Bianconeri said:

Did Alison Mitchell refer to a hand job on TMS in the first over after lunch today (Friday)?

She is a bit of a minx when she`s commentating, especially if she`s got Ebony R-B with her. I reckon it would be a fun night out with them two!

Is it just me or is there something vaguely erotic hearing a woman speaking knowledgeably about cricket?

19 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

Is it just me or is there something vaguely erotic hearing a woman speaking knowledgeably about cricket?

It's just you! 

In boxing the Ref can stop the fight "to avoid further punishment" if required. Pity the Umpires can't award this game to England now on Day Three.

• Haha 1

At Edgbaston  under lights the pink ball is behaving differently to a red or white ball would in the same conditions.

My question is - why if only the colour is different do they vary so much? 

Surely any cricket ball of the same make should react the same regardless the colour? 

45 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

So poor it's not even enjoyable really. 

Yeah, it's actually pretty sad to see the Windies in this state. I first remember them touring in 1995 when, though not the force they had been, were still a quality side, had Lara in the prime of his career, top batsmen like Richardson, Hooper, Adams and a young Chanderpaul, plus an attack of Ambrose, Walsh, Bishop and Benjamin. They've got gradually worse on every tour since, culminating in the current shambles. 

The really damning thing is that they could put a reasonably decent Test side out, but for constant infighting between the board and the big name players. Certainly if you look at their ODI and especially T20 sides, they're still competitive. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

There is no logic to how a ball swings anyway. Scientists say it should swing most when cloudless and sunny - yet we all know that it's cloudy and a touch humid or damp that tends to get it going all over the shop!   I presume all balls have to be a certain weight so no idea why a duke is different to a kookaburra etc. 

So Windies lost 19 wickets today and in total only scored 62 more runs than Cook. 

I appreciate that there are no definite explanations to how/why a ball will swing or not but surely the colour shouldn't make the slightest difference and yet we saw the pink ball doing all sorts as the lights kicked it.

The Sky commentators were as amazed by its antics saying  that it must be because it's pink.....

7 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Yeah, it's actually pretty sad to see the Windies in this state. I first remember them touring in 1995 when, though not the force they had been, were still a quality side, had Lara in the prime of his career, top batsmen like Richardson, Hooper, Adams and a young Chanderpaul, plus an attack of Ambrose, Walsh, Bishop and Benjamin. They've got gradually worse on every tour since, culminating in the current shambles. 

The really damning thing is that they could put a reasonably decent Test side out, but for constant infighting between the board and the big name players. Certainly if you look at their ODI and especially T20 sides, they're still competitive. 

Poor old Curtly was on TMS earlier and he was nearly in tears despairing at it all.

• Admin

The pink ball is different than the red Duke.  It has to have a coating on it, so it won't shine on one side like a red ball, which is just dyed.  Not being able to shine one side was giving speculation that the ball wouldn't swing, but I think Anderson could make Mary Whitehouse swing........

9 hours ago, Maesknoll Red said:

The pink ball is different than the red Duke.  It has to have a coating on it, so it won't shine on one side like a red ball, which is just dyed.  Not being able to shine one side was giving speculation that the ball wouldn't swing, but I think Anderson could make Mary Whitehouse swing........

Interesting.........but begs the question as why the leather isn't dyed pink rather than being coated.

The position of Cook's partner is now a poisoned chalice and the pressure is mounting on every new batsman. Post Ashes the ECB need to pick a young batsman, probably Hameed, and tell him he will be Cooks partner through to the 2019 series, no matter how his form is. That takes the pressure to succeed straight away off him and may allow him to play freely.

The same may have to be done at three as well. 

36 minutes ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

The position of Cook's partner is now a poisoned chalice and the pressure is mounting on every new batsman. Post Ashes the ECB need to pick a young batsman, probably Hameed, and tell him he will be Cooks partner through to the 2019 series, no matter how his form is. That takes the pressure to succeed straight away off him and may allow him to play freely.

The same may have to be done at three as well. 

Not a chance you can go to Brisbane with Stoneman and Westley playing. Hameed does seem the natural choice to open, have no idea who will bat 3 unless you move Root up but then you need a number 4!

6 minutes ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

Reminiscing about a first 6 of Strauss, Cook, Vaughan, Bell, Collingwood and KP. Such great test batsmen that we really need right now

We do still have Cook Root and Stokes though so not bad. Shame Abell has been in such poor form this season every chance he would be in the team now.

If Hameed hadn't started the season so badly he'd have been in from the start. Still think he'll go to Australia.

The irony is that he hadn't actually done anything wrong in an England shirt, and if he'd been a more senior, established member of the side his poor county form would have been ignored, same as it would for Cook, Root etc.

Edited by Northern Red