IGNORED

International Cricket

Monkeh

25 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Root pushed his luck going for a win in a game that they never deserved to win, he should have batted on and made the game safe, it was a piss poor call.

Root wants England to play positive cricket by encouraging a positive mindset in his team.

Sure, he could of batted on but with only two wickets left he decided to try and knock off one or two Windies wickets that evening. Unfortunately neither Broad or Anderson could make the breakthrough.

Had he batted on and the two remaining wickets had fallen in the next couple of overs (always a possibility) we would not be discussing  this now.

7 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Root wants England to play positive cricket by encouraging a positive mindset in his team.

Sure, he could of batted on but with only two wickets left he decided to try and knock off one or two Windies wickets that evening. Unfortunately neither Broad or Anderson could make the breakthrough.

Had he batted on and the two remaining wickets had fallen in the next couple of overs (always a possibility) we would not be discussing  this now.

The evidence is England batted poorly in their first innings, had not bowled that well for West Indies first innings and then had managed to extricate themselves from an even more embarrassing result in their 2nd innings. He declared with 6 overs left on day 4 and West Indies won with 5 overs remaining.

I believe that having been given an unlikely reprise the order of the day was safety first and ensure at least that the West Indies could not win the 3 match series, something that is now a possibility.

For me it gives more creedence to the argument that England don't take 5 day test matches seriously.

7 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

The evidence is England batted poorly in their first innings, had not bowled that well for West Indies first innings and then had managed to extricate themselves from an even more embarrassing result in their 2nd innings. He declared with 6 overs left on day 4 and West Indies won with 5 overs remaining.

I believe that having been given an unlikely reprise the order of the day was safety first and ensure at least that the West Indies could not win the 3 match series, something that is now a possibility.

For me it gives more creedence to the argument that England don't take 5 day test matches seriously.

We'll have to agree to disagree EMB.

As for five day tests - ask any test playing cricketer which is the toughest test they face in their professional career and to a man they'll tell you test cricket is the daddy.

Its cricket at it purist and finest.

7 minutes ago, Robbored said:

We'll have to agree to disagree EMB.

As for five day tests - ask any test playing cricketer which is the toughest test they face in their professional career and to a man they'll tell you test cricket is the daddy.

Its cricket at it purist and finest.

I agree with the last sentence, however as you were at pains to say in the Joe Bryan thread about rather believing professionals than fans, it was those self same professionals that made the statements about England sometimes not taking tests seriously.

And by way of a PS:- if England manage to lose the 3rd test (a distinct possibility) the 2nd test will be seen exactly for what it was a huge mistake.

Edited by Esmond Million's Bung

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

When the declaration was made the Windies were demoralised having seen their first inns lead overtaken by such a large margin. With just a few overs left in the days play the last thing the two openers would wanted was to face the new ball.

Unfortunately for England they both survived the attack from Broad and Anderson. Had just one wicket fell we might have seen a different result yesterday.

No way was Root at fault foe declaring when he did,

I'm not disagreeing about the call or anything, I was disagreeing with your point about the test being lost when we didn't hit 300 in the first innings, we got ourselves in a position where we could have drawn or won the game easily.

3 hours ago, MichaelRobartes said:

Good on Root for declaring and making a game of it. Plenty of people moaned endlessly (and often completely fairly) about Strauss and Cook's ludicrously conservative declarations, I think it's refreshing to see a captain not meekly accepting a draw.

I completely agree, our problem in this instance though, was we were facing a side who should never, ever beat us.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MichaelRobartes said:

That's true enough. Hopefully it'll serve as a reality check to the team. I hope that the criticism Root will invariably get won't stop him from being positive in future.

I agree. He did the right thing, some of the bowling was shocking, never-mind the fielding. I can't believe how many balls Broad bowled leg side flicked away for 4...

One test away from the ashes and things look bleak. People will point out the Aussies just lost to Banga in Dhaka but let's not forget we were 100-0 there and ended up 168 all out... We just lost to a team in home conditions against a side we beat in under 3 days a week and a half ago. If we're that inconsistent down under it'll be carnage!

Sure the media wont help in next couple of weeks roasting Root for the loss, typical British media.

In many ways I`m sort of glad it happened. If we`d cruised to a 3-0 win it would have just covered up the failings in the side which would then be exposed for the whole cricket world to see in Brisbane. This, along with the stuffing South Africa dished out at Trent Bridge, should set the alarm bells ringing IMO.

I do agree with Root`s decision to declare when he did BTW. As @Robbored rightly says, if we`d nipped one or two out on the evening of the fourth day (which we could have done easily with Moeen`s last over) he would have been totally vindicated.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hodge said:

We're moaning about losing to the Windies, Aussies have just lost to Bangladesh for the first time ever.

3 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

England-style collapse wasn`t it? Weren`t they 150 odd for none and then lost ten for about 70? I haven`t seen the scorecard yet but it sounds awful.

3 hours ago, Robbored said:

Yeah...........:rofl2br:

To be fair we lost to them in Dhaka too and ours was worse. We were 100-0 to 168 all out. Bangladesh are a good side, especially on home soil. Should've seen the wicket! WIndies aren't good home or away.

• Like 1

As for us, well it went poorly indeed. However WI DO deserve credit for raising it.

Declaration? Rather that than inch towards an overly cautious bore draw. 321 in Test cricket in 96 overs v WI at Headingley? Draw at worst scenario. In fact, both Mikes- Atherton and Brearley- were of the view that we should have declared sooner to maybe sneak a wicket on the 4th evening. Whole different game then. WI clearly batted well, we were clearly below where we should have been in all areas- but they dropped catches which cost too. One of those games, albeit one we shouldn't have lost!

The last Test of the WI series starts today and there has already been mention of this being Blowers' last match commentating.

I believe many on this forum follow cricket on the ESPN site, Cricinfo - I know @Tomarse does, and you may have come across George Dobell, a young man who writes on the Cricinfo site.

I believe the art of commentating is to convey to those who do not have the pleasure of being present just what is happening, and if this can be done with humour then so much the better, witness Blowers and before him the late John Arlott, Brian Johnson, Richie Benaud and many others. 

A comment from George Dobell this morning caught my attention, and I am pleased to share it with you as I found it fulfilled the aboverequirements:

"Morning from Lord's. Has been a nice morning though clouding over a little now. Pitch looks greener than usual. Mike Gatting is walking around the outfield looking so like Henry VIII that his wife must fear for her head."

• Haha 3

12 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

The last Test of the WI series starts today and there has already been mention of this being Blowers' last match commentating.

I believe many on this forum follow cricket on the ESPN site, Cricinfo - I know @Tomarse does, and you may have come across George Dobell, a young man who writes on the Cricinfo site.

I believe the art of commentating is to convey to those who do not have the pleasure of being present just what is happening, and if this can be done with humour then so much the better, witness Blowers and before him the late John Arlott, Brian Johnson, Richie Benaud and many others. 

A comment from George Dobell this morning caught my attention, and I am pleased to share it with you as I found it fulfilled the aboverequirements:

"Morning from Lord's. Has been a nice morning though clouding over a little now. Pitch looks greener than usual. Mike Gatting is walking around the outfield looking so like Henry VIII that his wife must fear for her head."

On the subject of Cricinfo what has happened to the website?! Just a complete mess.

9 minutes ago, Super said:

On the subject of Cricinfo what has happened to the website?! Just a complete mess.

It is indeed, although they keep on saying they will improve things once the Test Series is over - we shall see.

Another fantastic writer on their site is Paul Edwards, although since they have changed the format I struggle to find any of his articles.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, phantom said:

Been working from home today, so the TV has been on in the background

If Anderson could have held onto a few catches we'd have been batting a long time ago - but what a display by Stokes !

Superb from Stokes a sixfer!  3 of them bowled and one caught and bowled. Almost a one man team this innings.