IGNORED

Ashton Gate: Bringing new life to Bristol City

phantom

For a business magazine it hasn't been edited too well, 2 mistakes on that first page alone.

That aside, a good read and leaves a nice warm feeling about what we have now.

Was particularly interesting seeing the returns for concessions on match day revenue, up from £250,000 pre-build to over a whopping £3m last season.

Nice to have a great stadium and facilities but good to see it being utilised as well.

1 minute ago, Scare_Man said:

For a business magazine it hasn't been edited too well, 2 mistakes on that first page alone.

Was particularly interesting seeing the returns for concessions on match day revenue, up from £250,000 pre-build to over a whopping £3m last season.

Nice to have a great stadium and facilities but good to see it being utilised as well.

I've been wondering just what the impact of the better facilities had been. The place is packed from 1pm with people spending money around the club. 

That is fantastic progress and in terms of our pre build turnover, that concession increase alone, should have a huge impact on our turnover. 

Anyone would think that SL actually knew what he was doing..! 

5 minutes ago, Scare_Man said:

I thought local fanzines were badly edited/spelt but this makes them look like the OED. Some odd observations in there by MKelly, too, about fan/club culture being retained for example. I think if he were to requestion those fans again about that, he'd hear a different answer, but that's a well-trodden argument.

If this money earned was being re-invested into fan initiatives (like, including but not exclusively, improving the atmosphere), cheaper tickets to cater for the less well off City fans or being invested back into the City of Bristol through the trust or other charities and events, I'd be happy with it. However what we've seen is the atmosphere get worse imo (that goes for the Rugby too), the cheapest season tickets have increased in price since the re-build began (that goes for the Rugby too) and other than childrens football camps I see very little presence of the club around the City (that goes for the Rugby too). 

Instead we've seen us attempt to but Gayle and Gray for a combined £15 million summer before last as well as spending huge sums on Tomlin, Magnusson, Engvall and O'Dowda before Kodjia being sold was even on the table. 

Meanwhile Huddersfield with their £179 Season tickets (now as low as £100 for this season) who spent next to nothing on transfers will be enjoying top flight football next season. By all accounts their owners invested in the fans and as a result saw a good atmosphere and high gates, helping them maintain their momentum. 

Ashton Gate needed re-development, but BCFC is not representing us. How often do threads appear on here moaning about transfer fees these days, player wages or agents. Yet when we do it we hail Sir Steve of Lansdown for investing whilst simultaneously whinging about how football was better in the 'good old days'. The profits from this Stadium will line the pockets of players and agents and the City of Bristol (bar perhaps the odd music concert) will see little of it sadly. 

We've seen football clubs go bust before, losing their ground, players, assets, the lot. But the club survives because the fans are the club. Therefore this stadium needs to serve the club, a.k.a us! But it isn't and it won't, because it will service mostly the players and agents, which we can almost unanimously agree is what is wrong with the game. 

49 minutes ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

If this money earned was being re-invested into fan initiatives (like, including but not exclusively, improving the atmosphere), cheaper tickets to cater for the less well off City fans or being invested back into the City of Bristol through the trust or other charities and events, I'd be happy with it. However what we've seen is the atmosphere get worse imo (that goes for the Rugby too), the cheapest season tickets have increased in price since the re-build began (that goes for the Rugby too) and other than childrens football camps I see very little presence of the club around the City (that goes for the Rugby too). 

Instead we've seen us attempt to but Gayle and Gray for a combined £15 million summer before last as well as spending huge sums on Tomlin, Magnusson, Engvall and O'Dowda before Kodjia being sold was even on the table. 

Meanwhile Huddersfield with their £179 Season tickets (now as low as £100 for this season) who spent next to nothing on transfers will be enjoying top flight football next season. By all accounts their owners invested in the fans and as a result saw a good atmosphere and high gates, helping them maintain their momentum. 

Ashton Gate needed re-development, but BCFC is not representing us. How often do threads appear on here moaning about transfer fees these days, player wages or agents. Yet when we do it we hail Sir Steve of Lansdown for investing whilst simultaneously whinging about how football was better in the 'good old days'. The profits from this Stadium will line the pockets of players and agents and the City of Bristol (bar perhaps the odd music concert) will see little of it sadly. 

We've seen football clubs go bust before, losing their ground, players, assets, the lot. But the club survives because the fans are the club. Therefore this stadium needs to serve the club, a.k.a us! But it isn't and it won't, because it will service mostly the players and agents, which we can almost unanimously agree is what is wrong with the game. 

Serves me fine, I'm enjoying the better facilities 

3 hours ago, Monkeh said:

Serves me fine, I'm enjoying the better facilities 

Like I said, AG needed updating but that doesn't change the fact that the main selling point of the new ground was increased income, but the fans will see none of it. You (I assume) and I are in a position where we can afford Season Tickets comfortably. Going to a game isn't something we have to save for. However for many it is and are they being catered for as members of the club? No. 

Just because it serves you fine does not mean it is right. 

Happened to be working today in Hartcliffe and drove out towards Easton to the M5 on my home back North, to avoid the bloody M32.  It meant it took me past AG.  First time I've seen anything of it since the redevelopment, albeit just a drive past quick glance.  Looks impressive now fellas.  Might be tempted to come back down for the opening day of the next season.

By the way, jeez, but how many 20mph limits have you guys got down there these days.  Went on a bendy detour last night via Filton because the bloody M32 was closed (again) and was in a 20mph zone heading into the city that seemed to go on for miles.  There was a push bike in front of me and I couldn't catch him.  Bit frustrating at midnight after a 3 hour drive.

6 hours ago, redsfan said:

By the way, jeez, but how many 20mph limits have you guys got down there these days.  Went on a bendy detour last night via Filton because the bloody M32 was closed (again) and was in a 20mph zone heading into the city that seemed to go on for miles.  There was a push bike in front of me and I couldn't catch him.  Bit frustrating at midnight after a 3 hour drive.

Our former mayor loved a 20mph zone. He was a man of real inspirational leadership by example... http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/george-ferguson-caught-speeding-after-509

13 hours ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

Alternative reality 

On 23/06/2017 at 09:21, Bar BS3 said:

I've been wondering just what the impact of the better facilities had been. The place is packed from 1pm with people spending money around the club. 

That is fantastic progress and in terms of our pre build turnover, that concession increase alone, should have a huge impact on our turnover. 

I'm sure some of the local establishments have suffered as a result, certainly on match day but I love our facilities and knowing that it's well priced in comparison to local pubs and going straight into Bristol City (or Bristol Sport) then it's a winner for me

16 hours ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

....profits from this Stadium will line the pockets of players and agents and the City of Bristol (bar perhaps the odd music concert) will see little of it sadly. 

I couldn't agree less with just about everything you say.

"Lining the pockets of players and agents" Do you suggest we don't pay them then?

"Club survive because the fans are the club" Just look at last season's attendances!

If you hadn't been posting for such a long time I'd be sure this was a wind up.

On 6/23/2017 at 10:15, Scare_Man said:

As a proud pedant, I noticed 'tryiwng' and the false apostrophe in clubs'.

Were these the two mistakes to which you referred, or were there others?

On ‎23‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 09:21, Bar BS3 said:

Where exactly is this huge impact going? who exactly gets what ?

On ‎23‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 17:31, Welcome To The Jungle said:

Reality ^^^^

We ground share with others, to make more money....for others; also to cover the millions wasted on players who we don't play; yes nice plan.

On 23 June 2017 at 21:46, Welcome To The Jungle said:

Like I said, AG needed updating but that doesn't change the fact that the main selling point of the new ground was increased income, but the fans will see none of it. You (I assume) and I are in a position where we can afford Season Tickets comfortably. Going to a game isn't something we have to save for. However for many it is and are they being catered for as members of the club? No. 

Just because it serves you fine does not mean it is right. 

I can't agree with you that the fans will see no benefit from the increased income. Successful clubs generate income from their grounds 7 days a week. If City had an undeveloped Ashton Gate the turnover wouldn't support the club in the Championship. Ticket prices  are a bit of a red herring as match day takings from tickets are not necessarily the main driver. Money from increased food and drink sales, corporate hospitality, non-match day events and TV money brings in a lot of money.

Where I do agree is that ticket prices are too high.  Unfortunately, as City get good crowds with the hign prices, it's unlikely they won't go down. 

1 minute ago, pongo88 said:

I can't agree with you that the fans will see no benefit from the increased income. Successful clubs generate income from their grounds 7 days a week. If City had an undeveloped Ashton Gate the turnover wouldn't support the club in the Championship. Ticket prices  are a bit of a red herring as match day takings from tickets are not necessarily the main driver. Money from increased food and drink sales, corporate hospitality, non-match day events and TV money brings in a lot of money.

Where I do agree is that ticket prices are too high.  Unfortunately, as City get good crowds with the hign prices, it's unlikely they won't go down. 

In addition, what about all the direct jobs and contracts for local businesses that didn`t exist in the past. That has to be good for the area.

15 hours ago, glos old boy said:

Where exactly is this huge impact going? who exactly gets what ?

Bristol City are the main ones to benefit from increased Bristol Sport revenues. That's one of the main reasons for the business being set up the way that it is. 

19 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

As a proud pedant, I noticed 'tryiwng' and the false apostrophe in clubs'.

Were these the two mistakes to which you referred, or were there others?

Tryiwng sounds a bit Welsh, it wasn't the apostrophe although good spot.  I was certain there was a sentence that stopped a word short but after re-reading a couple of times I can't find it now

Archived