IGNORED

Will Jens Hegeler play a big part?

reddogkev

Based solely on his time with us last season, I'm highly dubious about whether he's decent enough for our team. He didn't impress me, but I accept he came half way during the campaign, had not played in England before, and clearly needed time to adapt.

Any thoughts about how he might feature next season, and what might you expect from him?

14 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Think to get the best out of Hegeler, I think you would need either a central 3 in midfield or a back 3- he could certainly do a job in that instance.

A 4-4-2? Probably not so much- though he would still be useful depth and versatility imo.

Spot on, and he was still adjusting to the Championship.

Reminds me of Seebok.  Oozes class and has lots of time when possession.   Hope we accommodate him, and he doesn't go the same way as Seebok.

27 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

Based solely on his time with us last season, I'm highly dubious about whether he's decent enough for our team. He didn't impress me, but I accept he came half way during the campaign, had not played in England before, and clearly needed time to adapt.

Any thoughts about how he might feature next season, and what might you expect from him?

He is certainly good enough for us. Whether or not he fits into whatever system we focus on is the big question. 

Quality wise, he's one of the best members of our squad, but he certainly needs to do more to impact games. 

Big season for him coming up. 

For me he was top qaulity and I think he is a classy player, the problem was we lost quite a few of the games he played in. not sure how much it was related to him?

I have high hopes for him this season, agree with much of what has already been said above.

He looked a class player in his first match then, strangely, got worse with each match. He's played at a high level in Germany so he should be able to cope with the Championship. As to which position?

He played great as CB on his debut. Also liked him as a CM but then he wasn't really impacting games so much and as we all know, game time reduced.

I'm really hoping he can show us what a good player he can be but that may depend on what formation we play?

I'm amazed people are so positive about him.  Apart from his first few matches in a back three (when he was no better than average), I thought he was dreadful every time he appeared.  Slow, unable to win the ball, only playing the most straightforward of passes.  He looked like a liability to me and I would have got rid of him in a heartbeat at the end of last season.  But maybe he'll get better...

Jury is still out for me. He looked excellent in his first couple of games and has experience of playing at a high level. On paper he is a quality player. However, I also agree with what others have said in that some games completely passed him by (Fulham at home springs to mind). Overall I think I expected more of him than what he has delivered so far.

Hopefully with a good pre-season behind him he will step up next season and be a key player for us.

32 minutes ago, CityLew said:

He played great as CB on his debut. Also liked him as a CM but then he wasn't really impacting games so much and as we all know, game time reduced.

I'm really hoping he can show us what a good player he can be but that may depend on what formation we play?

This was against Fleetwood in the cup, they were in form and we were in a rut but they were still in a division below

I'm holding on to the hope that it took a bit of time for Wade Elliott to adapt and he turned out alright - Hegeler must have more to offer than what we have seen so far, he seems so slow to react sometimes it cannot be laziness it must be the way he plays

That being said, he has shown good footwork under pressure at times but has covered over these with lethargic tackling and half hearted passing 

Reading at home he was dreadful. Fulham at home even worse. I think he was pretty poor against Cardiff as well but I got there late as forgot it was an early ko so I went for a run, which was more than he did before he was subbed off. 

Sell him . 

Said this before, but when he first joined, I couldn't believe we were wasting a player who looked so comfortable on the ball at centre back & couldn't wait to see him in midfield. 

But once in midfield he was an absolute passenger & off the ball offered nothing. Might've been down to fitness but I'm not too sure. 

I wouldn't mind seeing him go back to centre back & competing with Flint/Wright. 

2 hours ago, redapple said:

Reading at home he was dreadful. Fulham at home even worse. I think he was pretty poor against Cardiff as well but I got there late as forgot it was an early ko so I went for a run, which was more than he did before he was subbed off. 

Sell him . 

Funny that considering he didn't play in that game..

At the risk of contributing to an interesting debate....

Should we choose the best system and pick the players around it.. ..or choose the best players and pick the system around them?

Picking a system to accommodate the talented players would likely see more starting spots for Hegeler, Bryan, Tomlin and Magnussen....

Archived