IGNORED

Glastonbury

joe jordans teeth

26 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

The discussions with Lord Bath came to nothing,  it won't be moving to Longleat.

It wasn't actually moving it more a seperate festival at different location.  Longleet officials went last year and I think got put off by the weather - probably the worst since 95/97.

Cant see how they can organise anything on same scale elsewhere now.  Some of the talk was ME threatening the landowners who have him over a barrel each year to lease land.. 

It was supposed to be an entirely new thing rather than moving it, and it's not due until the next fallow year and seems more likely to be somewhere nearer to Birmingham.

The weather itself last year wasn't that bad, it was annoying don't get me wrong but it didn't really bucket down. The problem was that it did bucket down in the 2 weeks prior to the festival, leaving the ground an absolute mess and making every step harder.

20 hours ago, Corsham Ed said:

Awesome. Watched them live 5 years ago, and they still are brilliant to watch. I also enjoyed Barry Gibb.

Absolutely timeless ! I could listen to that bassist all day, the two girls were bloody good as well, as they were a few years back.

Agree about B.G. as well, he seemed overwhelmed with the crowd reaction.

Foo Fighters, Barry Gibb & Chic the highlights for me. :thumbsup:

9 minutes ago, Super said:

Image may contain: one or more people, child, outdoor, nature and water

You'd come out of that little lot significantly better off if you could be bothered to go through it with a fine tooth comb.

I was present after a festival once and found all sorts.  Mainly money, fags and those things they tell kids not to do.  

It was my lucky day!

1 hour ago, Dollymarie said:

Sometimes I wish there was a dislike button on here 

New update coming sometime soon has more like FB options.. 

I agree the waste is awful. I know they round up the stuff and give it to various charities but sake how hard is it to tidy up when you leave?  I've never left anything when I've been

I guess it depends on which field you camp in. I didn't see anything left like in @Super post this year. Our field was left very tidy, rubbish piled up and area for donations was neat and tidy.

i must admit I had fish and chips about 1am last night/morning and someone tried to climb one of the flag poles and I jumped up ran away as he was about to fall on me. 5 minutes later I was horrified to realise I had abandoned my (empty) food tray. I didn't go back to it but picked up a few plastic bottles that weren't mine and put them in the bin to ease my contious. Hope that helped.

1 hour ago, Tomarse said:

New update coming sometime soon has more like FB options.. 

I agree the waste is awful. I know they round up the stuff and give it to various charities but sake how hard is it to tidy up when you leave?  I've never left anything when I've been

Oh I wouldn't worry too much soon we'll all be paying for much that waste out our taxes, when JC takes over.

A few thoughts:

1. That was the most enjoyable Glastonbury I have experienced.

2. As someone who is not really a fan of Radiohead post-2000, I thought they were great. They played everything I wanted to hear I think.

3. I never really understand people complaining about the headliners. The festival has over 100 stages of various sizes. Neither the Foo Fighters or Ed Sheeran particularly appealed to me but that was fine - I wandered off and watched other things. Solange and Phoenix were on at the same time as the Foos and both were incredible. Metronomy were on at the same time as Ed Sheeran and were utterly great. I did want to watch Radiohead but there were three other things at the same time I was sorry to miss (I and sure Flaming Lips and Dizzee were great and i would have quite happily watched status quo for the novelty factor.) I think people put a bit too much emphasis on the headliners. 

4. Whatever you think of him politically, I cannot remember anyone at Glastonbury ever generating as much excitement as Jeremy Corbyn.

5. I don't really want to wait two years for another one.

2 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

A few thoughts:

1. That was the most enjoyable Glastonbury I have experienced.

2. As someone who is not really a fan of Radiohead post-2000, I thought they were great. They played everything I wanted to hear I think.

3. I never really understand people complaining about the headliners. The festival has over 100 stages of various sizes. Neither the Foo Fighters or Ed Sheeran particularly appealed to me but that was fine - I wandered off and watched other things. Solange and Phoenix were on at the same time as the Foos and both were incredible. Metronomy were on at the same time as Ed Sheeran and were utterly great. I did want to watch Radiohead but there were three other things at the same time I was sorry to miss (I and sure Flaming Lips and Dizzee were great and i would have quite happily watched status quo for the novelty factor.) I think people put a bit too much emphasis on the headliners. 

4. Whatever you think of him politically, I cannot remember anyone at Glastonbury ever generating as much excitement as Jeremy Corbyn.

5. I don't really want to wait two years for another one.

Good to see he got his priorities right yet again and decided to carry on campaigning instead of going to either the Saturday or Sunday events of armed forces day, classy.

Question who was telling the truth about axing Trident?, honest Michael Eavis or Corbyn?.

And just for balance Teresa May wot a****.

1 hour ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Good to see he got his priorities right yet again and decided to carry on campaigning instead of going to either the Saturday or Sunday events of armed forces day, classy.

Question who was telling the truth about axing Trident?, honest Michael Eavis or Corbyn?.

And just for balance Teresa May wot a****.

Did anyone invite him to any events re armed forces day except the token burnham MP who sent him an invite at 12;30 on Friday by post?

He did post first thing about remembering our troops tbf. I also can begrudge a man who is anti nuclear going to a festival that orgins are the CND movement.

729 days to go.. already getting stressed for the ticket sale !

43 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

Did anyone invite him to any events re armed forces day except the token burnham MP who sent him an invite at 12;30 on Friday by post?

He did post first thing about remembering our troops tbf. I also can begrudge a man who is anti nuclear going to a festival that orgins are the CND movement.

729 days to go.. already getting stressed for the ticket sale !

The leader of HM opposition needs an invite?, I suppose the question should be did he even know about it?.

i'm sure the armed forces veterans and serving men and women are bowled over about his 'post', very thoughtful.

I did not begrudge him, I actually asked the question one of them obviously lied, who do people think it was?, honest Michael Eavis or the politician fellow?.

Boris Johnson wot a tosser.

I was stood waiting for the Kaiser Chiefs on the Other stage when the screens changed from adverts to JC live at the Pyramid stage, most people stood and watched, there were more cheers than boos where I was. On the screens you could hear he was getting a good reception at the Pyramid, again a few boos were heard at the beginning.  By the end of his speech everyone was lapping it up. For much of the festival many people were singing his name. If the election was next Thursday I'm convinced on that showing he would have won.

45 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

The leader of HM opposition needs an invite?, I suppose the question should be did he even know about it?.

i'm sure the armed forces veterans and serving men and women are bowled over about his 'post', very thoughtful.

I did not begrudge him, I actually asked the question one of them obviously lied, who do people think it was?, honest Michael Eavis or the politician fellow?.

Boris Johnson wot a tosser.

I am calling nonsense here. Obviously the right wing papers needed their angle and they found one so fair enough but I would ask the following questions:

1) Do you know which political leaders of any main party attended armed forces Day events in recent years and which did not? If you do not have that Information - without googling - then why do you particularly want to single out Corbyn? Surely you would have singled out anyone who did not attend in recent years?

2) Could you list every single armed forces day events where Corbyn would have spoken to more people than Glastonbury?

3) could you list armed forces Day events where Corbyn would have addressed more serving or former members of the armed forces and their families than he did at Glastonbury, given the number of serving and former members of the armed forces who attend Glastonbury in a personal or professional capacity?

4) and could you list armed forces day events where Corbyn would have reached a larger audience of  present and former service members and their families given the TV audience who watch it?

5) Given how many serviny members of the armed forces are under 30, how is it a bad thing when a political leader engages with younger voters?

6) Michael Eavis is one of our most successful entrepreneurs whose events create a huge boost to our economy. He deserves far more respect than you are giving him.

Armed Forces Day is important but it is not all that is important. Corbyn had a chance to engage with a lot of people - including more people connected to the armed forces - than he would have done at any armed forces Day event. It is hard to see how anyone can see that as something to criticise.

4 minutes ago, RedM said:

I was stood waiting for the Kaiser Chiefs on the Other stage when the screens changed from adverts to JC live at the Pyramid stage, most people stood and watched, there were more cheers than boos where I was. On the screens you could hear he was getting a good reception at the Pyramid, again a few boos were heard at the beginning.  By the end of his speech everyone was lapping it up. For much of the festival many people were singing his name. If the election was next Thursday I'm convinced on that showing he would have won.

I was at the Pyramid. The atmosphere was electric. I know some Conservative supporters tried to troll Labour supporters when he spoke at the Leftfield. Everyone was so pro-Corbyn that they sheepishly gave up. I would never have believed it a year ago but Corbyn is now an immensely popular politician.

14 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I am calling nonsense here. Obviously the right wing papers needed their angle and they found one so fair enough but I would ask the following questions:

1) Do you know which political leaders of any main party attended armed forces Day events in recent years and which did not? If you do not have that Information - without googling - then why do you particularly want to single out Corbyn? Surely you would have singled out anyone who did not attend in recent years?

2) Could you list every single armed forces day events where Corbyn would have spoken to more people than Glastonbury?

3) could you list armed forces Day events where Corbyn would have addressed more serving or former members of the armed forces and their families than he did at Glastonbury, given the number of serving and former members of the armed forces who attend Glastonbury in a personal or professional capacity?

4) and could you list armed forces day events where Corbyn would have reached a larger audience of  present and former service members and their families given the TV audience who watch it?

5) Given how many serviny members of the armed forces are under 30, how is it a bad thing when a political leader engages with younger voters?

6) Michael Eavis is one of our most successful entrepreneurs whose events create a huge boost to our economy. He deserves far more respect than you are giving him.

Armed Forces Day is important but it is not all that is important. Corbyn had a chance to engage with a lot of people - including more people connected to the armed forces - than he would have done at any armed forces Day event. It is hard to see how anyone can see that as something to criticise.

1). As you said various press outlets picked up on this, don't you think it would have been a statesman like thing to do?.

2). it might have escaped your notice that campaigning has finished and I repeat as the PM in waiting don't you think it would have been the statesman like thing to do?.

3). Answer 2.

4). Answer 2.

5). Answer 2.

6). Excuse me?, utter nonsense, Eavis said that Corbyn had told him that he would be PM by Christmas and Trident would be axed, Eavis put this out to the media the same night, Corbyn has denied that, I am asking who do you believe the honest Michael Eavis ( I cannot see how much more respect I can pay him) or Corbyn who happens to be a politician.

I can criticise because it is symptomatic of Corbyn and the causes that he personally does support and those that he does not, he still occasionally manages to keep bad company. As the PM in waiting campaigning had finished and time to act like the statesman he is destined to become had begun, he really needs to think about some of the platforms that he climbs on to these days.

PS:- He could have recorded a message, i'm sure that technology for that exists.

Just now, Esmond Million's Bung said:

1). As you said various press outlets picked up on this, don't you think it would have been a statesman like thing to do?.

2). it might have escaped your notice that campaigning has finished and I repeat as the PM in waiting don't you think it would have been the statesman like thing to do?.

3). Answer 2.

4). Answer 2.

5). Answer 2.

6). Excuse me?, utter nonsense, Eavis said that Corbyn had told him that he would be PM by Christmas and Trident would be axed, Eavis put this out to the media the same night, Corbyn has denied that, I am asking who do you believe the honest Michael Eavis ( I cannot see how much more respect I can pay him) or Corbyn who happens to be a politician.

I can criticise because it is symptomatic of Corbyn and the causes that he personally does support and those that he does not, he still occasionally manages to keep bad company. As the PM in waiting campaigning had finished and time to act like the statesman he is destined to become had begun, he really needs to think about some of the platforms that he climbs on to these days.

With 2), 3) and 4) I asked you to list events. I would thank you for not pretending to have answered a question you have evidently been unable to answer. Given you could not contradict me, I can only assume that we agree that Corbyn reached far more present and former serving members of the armed forces and their families than he would have done by attending any single armed forces day event. My view is that reaching those people is a very good thing. Unless you disagree with that then it is impossible to see Corbyn attending Glastonbury and speaking as anything other than a good thing.

With 5), your answer to 2) does not even begin to answer the question.

It is frankly hypocritical of you to accuse politicians of dishonesty when you cannot even be honest about whether you have answered the questions I have asked.

It seems to me that the decent and honest thing for you to do would be to either try again and actually answer the questions that in a better way than your utterly botched attempt at a "politicians' answer" or have the decency to admit you have no answer at all.

The 'answer' you have just given demeans and embarrasses you. You are a poster I like and respect and you are far, far better than that.

1 minute ago, LondonBristolian said:

With 2), 3) and 4) I asked you to list events. I would thank you for not pretending to have answered a question you have evidently been unable to answer. Given you could not contradict me, I can only assume that we agree that Corbyn reached far more present and former serving members of the armed forces and their families than he would have done by attending any single armed forces day event. My view is that reaching those people is a very good thing. Unless you disagree with that then it is impossible to see Corbyn attending Glastonbury and speaking as anything other than a good thing.

With 5), your answer to 2) does not even begin to answer the question.

It is frankly hypocritical of you to accuse politicians of dishonesty when you cannot even be honest about whether you have answered the questions I have asked.

It seems to me that the decent and honest thing for you to do would be to either try again and actually answer the questions that in a better way than your utterly botched attempt at a "politicians' answer" or have the decency to admit you have no answer at all.

The 'answer' you have just given demeans and embarrasses you. You are a poster I like and respect and you are far, far better than that.

FFS the man was campaigning, campaigning has finished, he is the PM in waiting now is the time to act like a statesman because that is what is expected of him as PM.

That is my opinion, you can throw your insults as much as you like, that is my opinion and for the record it is frankly hypocritical and dishonest of you to firstly accuse me of not respecting Michael Eavis when I did not, I disrespected Corbyn and also hypocritical and dishonest of you who has still not answered the question that I first asked about who was telling the truth about their little conversation, but I am sure we all know the correct answer to that one.

Just now, Esmond Million's Bung said:

FFS the man was campaigning, campaigning has finished, he is the PM in waiting now is the time to act like a statesman because that is what is expected of him as PM.

That is my opinion, you can throw your insults as much as you like, that is my opinion and for the record it is frankly hypocritical and dishonest of you to firstly accuse me of not respecting Michael Eavis when I did not, I disrespected Corbyn and also hypocritical and dishonest of you who has still not answered the question that I first asked about who was telling the truth about their little conversation, but I am sure we all know the correct answer to that one.

I see no reason why both were not telling the truth. Neither account actually contradicts the other, even though they superficially appear to do so. it takes no more than twenty seconds of logocal though to see how both accounts  may well be true without contradiction.

I throw no insults at you - I merely wish you would engage your critical faculties a little more. You are more than smart enough to know that whatever appears in the papers is not necessarily true. 

Just now, LondonBristolian said:

I see no reason why both were not telling the truth. Neither account actually contradicts the other, even though they superficially appear to do so. it takes no more than twenty seconds of logocal though to see how both accounts  may well be true without contradiction.

I throw no insults at you - I merely wish you would engage your critical faculties a little more. You are more than smart enough to know that whatever appears in the papers is not necessarily true. 

of course they were.

Probably the best Glasto lineup in the 9 most recent years I have been fortunate to attend. 

Getting the tents up midweek in the heat was gruelling, but by time music started weather was pretty much perfect also. 

Forgot to start a pre-festival post this year for tips, prob because the lineup was so insanely deep right down the card on nearly every day.

from memory I watched.....

thu - napalm death (extreme!)

fri - hot 8 brass band (great start), blossoms, first aid kit, royal blood (smashed it), the xx , Radiohead (first half a little slow but smashed 2nd half). Bumbled into south east corner and ended up in the common for a bit, recollection hazy 

sat - thundercat (bit dissapointed, could have been dodgy sound), run the jewels (always kill it), Liam Gallagher (but in bad spot), national (small crowd as expected but good performance), foos (rocked it plus all my group went to watch which made it Better). Stumbled off to Arcadia for bit after, forget who I saw, maybe Noisia (who sounded great), 

Sun - rag n bone man (friends Reccomednation, sound poor on other stage AGAIN!), Barry Gibb (epic, voice sounded great), Chic (double epic, whole band are super tight now from touring so much and just relentless hits), justice (absolutely levelled the west holts field, didn't realise they would be so slamming - fair shout!). Stumbled back to Arcadia and saw Fabio / grooverider ans Roni size

left Monday lunchtime - 2 hours queuing in car parks but then pretty quick 1 hour straight shot for customary hangover McDonald's at end of west street Bemmy 

legs in pieces from too much dancing.

great times, match report over!

p.s interested to know who others saw? Gonna hammer the iplayer for highlights this week. Have watched killers who were good. Mrs made me watch Ed set, seemed decent enough but a bit samey 

7 hours ago, internetjef said:

Probably the best Glasto lineup in the 9 most recent years I have been fortunate to attend. 

Getting the tents up midweek in the heat was gruelling, but by time music started weather was pretty much perfect also. 

Forgot to start a pre-festival post this year for tips, prob because the lineup was so insanely deep right down the card on nearly every day.

from memory I watched.....

thu - napalm death (extreme!)

fri - hot 8 brass band (great start), blossoms, first aid kit, royal blood (smashed it), the xx , Radiohead (first half a little slow but smashed 2nd half). Bumbled into south east corner and ended up in the common for a bit, recollection hazy 

sat - thundercat (bit dissapointed, could have been dodgy sound), run the jewels (always kill it), Liam Gallagher (but in bad spot), national (small crowd as expected but good performance), foos (rocked it plus all my group went to watch which made it Better). Stumbled off to Arcadia for bit after, forget who I saw, maybe Noisia (who sounded great), 

Sun - rag n bone man (friends Reccomednation, sound poor on other stage AGAIN!), Barry Gibb (epic, voice sounded great), Chic (double epic, whole band are super tight now from touring so much and just relentless hits), justice (absolutely levelled the west holts field, didn't realise they would be so slamming - fair shout!). Stumbled back to Arcadia and saw Fabio / grooverider ans Roni size

left Monday lunchtime - 2 hours queuing in car parks but then pretty quick 1 hour straight shot for customary hangover McDonald's at end of west street Bemmy 

legs in pieces from too much dancing.

great times, match report over!

p.s interested to know who others saw? Gonna hammer the iplayer for highlights this week. Have watched killers who were good. Mrs made me watch Ed set, seemed decent enough but a bit samey 

Errm.....sounds like you did a fair bit of stumbling/ not recalling...! :whistle:

Of course Corbyn is going to choose Glastonbury over Armed Forces Day.

Videos of have had a reach of millions via social media, it's appealing to his core but also young people who may still be apathetic towards politics.. 

The video of him that went viral at Tranmere, in my opinion, was what began to give him momentum after a dreadful week (Dianne Abbott on Nick Ferrari happened shortly before). 

As for the festival - looked great. I live nearby and was gutted I didn't get a ticket. Bowled over by the Foo Fighters. Always quite liked them but not an enormous fan. Truly world class. Felt the same way when I saw Beyoncé perform there in 2011. Sometimes you don't need to be a fan to appreciate world class quality - mind you, I'm a Foo Fighters fan now! 

Sad it's not on for 2 years.. didn't he say it might happen if a 'certain band' reform? Come on Liam and Noel.. make it happen.

Archived