IGNORED

Glastonbury

joe jordans teeth

19 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Of course Corbyn is going to choose Glastonbury over Armed Forces Day.

Videos of have had a reach of millions via social media, it's appealing to his core but also young people who may still be apathetic towards politics.. 

The video of him that went viral at Tranmere, in my opinion, was what began to give him momentum after a dreadful week (Dianne Abbott on Nick Ferrari happened shortly before). 

As for the festival - looked great. I live nearby and was gutted I didn't get a ticket. Bowled over by the Foo Fighters. Always quite liked them but not an enormous fan. Truly world class. Felt the same way when I saw Beyoncé perform there in 2011. Sometimes you don't need to be a fan to appreciate world class quality - mind you, I'm a Foo Fighters fan now! 

Sad it's not on for 2 years.. didn't he say it might happen if a 'certain band' reform? Come on Liam and Noel.. make it happen.

I came to conclusion after the Manchester benefit gig that if they couldn't put it aside for that it's simply not happening.

Liam could get the rest of the original band together and tour I guess but it's not oasis without Noel is it.. and anyway that's a bit of what Beady Eye was in the end.

More chance of the smiths getting back together imo :no:

No idea for headliners in two years - will Mick Fleetwood still be in good health perhaps.. 

Also worth remembering that they are on about 2019 being elsewhere before going back to Pilton for 2020.

18 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

I came to conclusion after the Manchester benefit gig that if they couldn't put it aside for that it's simply not happening.

Liam could get the rest of the original band together and tour I guess but it's not oasis without Noel is it.. and anyway that's a bit of what Beady Eye was in the end.

More chance of the smiths getting back together imo :no:

I think part of the thinking for the Manchester thing not happening was not wanting to overshadow the event. If they'd surprised everyone and performed together it would've been the headline rather than the charity and cause itself.

I think it will happen eventually, it makes total commercial sense and Liam seems up for it.. 

18 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

No idea for headliners in two years - will Mick Fleetwood still be in good health perhaps.. 

Also worth remembering that they are on about 2019 being elsewhere before going back to Pilton for 2020.

I can't see it working as well away from that site. As someone who lives a few miles away, it's part of the tapestry of the community around here. A big percentage of people go, but lots of businesses require it. I think it would lose its magic if it moved personally.

Friday: The Pretenders, just for something to do not really a fan but they were better than I thought seeing it was 11 o'clock in the morning. Charli xox, George Ezra, Clean Bandit and Dizzee Rascal, all of which I've seen before. Dizzee was on the smaller West Holts and it was rammed. From what I heard it was a bit of an afterthought and he was just squeezed in there.

Saturday: Gabrielle Aplin, Kaiser Chiefs (brilliant), Katy Perry and The Jacksons who were good except for the sound a bit weak, I only went to avoid the Foo's. Seems I missed quite a gig but I'm not a fan.

Sunday: Barry Gibb as I felt like listening to some of the old stuff. I tried getting into the John peel for the Killers afterwards but couldn't get near and pretty soon security had closed it. I'm going to see them in Hyde Park in about 10 days time so wasn't too bothered. I then went back to the Pyramid for Chic who were again better than I expected. I didn't want to move before Ed Sheehan so then sat through Biffy Clyro which except for 2 songs was a painful experience! Ed closed the festival as far as music went, but he left me wanting more from him. Seemingly a rushed set, no real finale, no fireworks no goodbyes. After Coldplay last year he felt like a damp squib as far as endings from headliners go.

So for me I saw many bands I had seen before with a few new ones. I think the previous Glastonburys have been better musically for me personally, sometimes I've had to decide between one band and another but this time I was struggling to find something at times.

Two years away is such a long time to predict headliners. As for bands I want who I've never seen, Pet Shop Boys, U2 and Depeche Mode ( haven't seen them in 30 years) would be on my list. Who do you want to see that you've not seen or not seen in a while.

12 minutes ago, RedM said:

Friday: The Pretenders, just for something to do not really a fan but they were better than I thought seeing it was 11 o'clock in the morning. Charli xox, George Ezra, Clean Bandit and Dizzee Rascal, all of which I've seen before. Dizzee was on the smaller West Holts and it was rammed. From what I heard it was a bit of an afterthought and he was just squeezed in there.

Saturday: Gabrielle Aplin, Kaiser Chiefs (brilliant), Katy Perry and The Jacksons who were good except for the sound a bit weak, I only went to avoid the Foo's. Seems I missed quite a gig but I'm not a fan.

Sunday: Barry Gibb as I felt like listening to some of the old stuff. I tried getting into the John peel for the Killers afterwards but couldn't get near and pretty soon security had closed it. I'm going to see them in Hyde Park in about 10 days time so wasn't too bothered. I then went back to the Pyramid for Chic who were again better than I expected. I didn't want to move before Ed Sheehan so then sat through Biffy Clyro which except for 2 songs was a painful experience! Ed closed the festival as far as music went, but he left me wanting more from him. Seemingly a rushed set, no real finale, no fireworks no goodbyes. After Coldplay last year he felt like a damp squib as far as endings from headliners go.

So for me I saw many bands I had seen before with a few new ones. I think the previous Glastonburys have been better musically for me personally, sometimes I've had to decide between one band and another but this time I was struggling to find something at times.

Two years away is such a long time to predict headliners. As for bands I want who I've never seen, Pet Shop Boys, U2 and Depeche Mode ( haven't seen them in 30 years) would be on my list. Who do you want to see that you've not seen or not seen in a while.

Saw U2 in 2011 - sadly it was appalling weather and they played on the Friday night when it was particularly awful. Put a bit of a dampener (no pun) on it and the performance didn't feel great.

Shame you missed the Foo Fighters, as I said above - even on TV it was fantastic. Everyone I know who went said it was genuinely an amazing performance. Grohl has such effortless charisma and an aura of calm. Brilliant, so jealous of those who saw it in the flesh.

Agree about Ed. Thought it was a bit lacklustre. Don't think his sound is quite right for a headliner. Maybe in 3 or 4 years but right now I think he hasn't quite got the showmanship or even the catalogue of music to pull it off. Surprised by his presence on stage too, I only saw on TV but I thought he'd had more of an aura and charisma about him.

Watched Liam Gallagher's gig. Wasn't blown away, and I'm a huge Oasis fan. Glastonbury isn't really an Oasis crowd though and apparently at the performance the new material he did didn't go down that well. I guess the crowd there won't necessarily be au fait with his new stuff.

Saw a bit of Stormzy, great energy but I think he's overrated. Not in the same league as Dizzee Rascal when he first broke through in my opinion.

My brother went and said how amazing The Killers were. Not a huge fan but he commented how excellent Brandon Flowers' voice was.

The big Glastonbury rumour this year apparently was that BBK, who performed at the same time as Ed, were bringing out Drake to perform with them! Didn't happen though.

On 2017-6-26 at 22:51, Maesknoll Red said:

How many of self professed eco warriors were complicit in this disgraceful mess?  A fair few no doubt.

Probably going to get criticised for this... But I can kind of understand that mess being left in the Pyramid field and those of the other larger stages. Sometimes you're stuck in there for hours at a time and have nowhere to leave empty cans and stuff. Obviously if you can put in a bin then you should, but of all the places, the stage areas are the ones which will get the most attention for cleaning, so it's marginally less important to tidy properly in my opinion.

The campsite areas on the other hand should be well cleaned and looked after, but inevitably tents and crap gets left everywhere.

Having said that, 180 odd thousand people go to Glastonbury as guests now. Not to dig too much at you MR, as loads of people have said it (plenty of Conservative politicians showing they have no clue whatsoever), but the place is not a hippy-infested eco-warrior collective anymore.

10 hours ago, internetjef said:

Probably the best Glasto lineup in the 9 most recent years I have been fortunate to attend. 

Getting the tents up midweek in the heat was gruelling, but by time music started weather was pretty much perfect also. 

Forgot to start a pre-festival post this year for tips, prob because the lineup was so insanely deep right down the card on nearly every day.

from memory I watched.....

thu - napalm death (extreme!)

fri - hot 8 brass band (great start), blossoms, first aid kit, royal blood (smashed it), the xx , Radiohead (first half a little slow but smashed 2nd half). Bumbled into south east corner and ended up in the common for a bit, recollection hazy 

sat - thundercat (bit dissapointed, could have been dodgy sound), run the jewels (always kill it), Liam Gallagher (but in bad spot), national (small crowd as expected but good performance), foos (rocked it plus all my group went to watch which made it Better). Stumbled off to Arcadia for bit after, forget who I saw, maybe Noisia (who sounded great), 

Sun - rag n bone man (friends Reccomednation, sound poor on other stage AGAIN!), Barry Gibb (epic, voice sounded great), Chic (double epic, whole band are super tight now from touring so much and just relentless hits), justice (absolutely levelled the west holts field, didn't realise they would be so slamming - fair shout!). Stumbled back to Arcadia and saw Fabio / grooverider ans Roni size

left Monday lunchtime - 2 hours queuing in car parks but then pretty quick 1 hour straight shot for customary hangover McDonald's at end of west street Bemmy 

legs in pieces from too much dancing.

great times, match report over!

p.s interested to know who others saw? Gonna hammer the iplayer for highlights this week. Have watched killers who were good. Mrs made me watch Ed set, seemed decent enough but a bit samey 

What I saw:

Thursday: Mik Artistik's Ego Trip (a lot of fun), the end of Napalm Death (not my kind of thing but it was quite entertaining watching them play such extreme music and then just sound like very lovely people in between songs) and Tourettes Hero (ace)

Friday: Paul Carrack (a friend wanted to see him but it was admittedly great to hear the Living Years), Dua Lipa, Ride (really surprised by quite how good they sounded), Future Islands, Radiohead 

Saturday: British Sea Power, Thundercat (bit pretentious), the end of Wild Beats, Corbs, the start of Run the Jewels, a bit of KT Tunstall, a bit of Thurston Moore, Liam Gallagher, the Avalanches (incredible!), Solange (not quite my thing but great show) and Phoenix (fantastic)

Sunday: Cassetteboy vs DJ Rubbish, Barry Gibb, the Killers (heard rather than saw), a bit of Jagwar Ma, a bit of Moderat, some hip hop act at the Sonic Stage and then Metronomy (superb)

@LondonBristolianoh I did see some of the Tourettes Hero, stumbled across them by accident in the unfairground area I think, I think they were singing about waving at cats...or am I completely confused?!!! I also sat outside Dua Lipa so didnt count as 'seeing' her although I could hear every song!

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I think part of the thinking for the Manchester thing not happening was not wanting to overshadow the event. If they'd surprised everyone and performed together it would've been the headline rather than the charity and cause itself.

I think it will happen eventually, it makes total commercial sense and Liam seems up for it.. 

I can't see it working as well away from that site. As someone who lives a few miles away, it's part of the tapestry of the community around here. A big percentage of people go, but lots of businesses require it. I think it would lose its magic if it moved personally.

I agree but it seems fairy well put out their that 2019 is a second fallow year with a seperate festival elsewhere - https://www.theguardian.com/music/2017/jan/17/glastonbury-festival-2019-move-variety-bazaar

It could be Evis trying to force local landowners to stop holding him to ransom however 

Just now, Tomarse said:

I agree but it seems fairy well put out their that 2019 is a second fallow year with a seperate festival elsewhere - https://www.theguardian.com/music/2017/jan/17/glastonbury-festival-2019-move-variety-bazaar

It could be Evis trying to force local landowners to stop holding him to ransom however 

The local chatter around here is that it's exactly that. He knows how much it would impact the local economy in Pilton, Shepton, Wells and Glastonbury - lots of small stores that sell things like wellies and tents rely on it yearly! 

He's a good guy and genuinely cares about the local area. Think a separate festival in 2019 would backfire on him if it happened.

47 minutes ago, RedM said:

@LondonBristolianoh I did see some of the Tourettes Hero, stumbled across them by accident in the unfairground area I think, I think they were singing about waving at cats...or am I completely confused?!!! I also sat outside Dua Lipa so didnt count as 'seeing' her although I could hear every song!

They were indeed singing about waving at cats!

3 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

What I saw:

Thursday: Mik Artistik's Ego Trip (a lot of fun), the end of Napalm Death (not my kind of thing but it was quite entertaining watching them play such extreme music and then just sound like very lovely people in between songs) and Tourettes Hero (ace)

Friday: Paul Carrack (a friend wanted to see him but it was admittedly great to hear The Living Years), Dua Lipa, Ride (really surprised by quite how good they sounded), Future Islands, Radiohead 

Saturday: British Sea Power, Thundercat (bit pretentious), the end of Wild Beats, Corbs, the start of Run the Jewels, a bit of KT Tunstall, a bit of Thurston Moore, Liam Gallagher, the Avalanches (incredible!), Solange (not quite my thing but great show) and Phoenix (fantastic)

Sunday: Cassetteboy vs DJ Rubbish, Barry Gibb, the Killers (heard rather than saw), a bit of Jagwar Ma, a bit of Moderat, some hip hop act at the Sonic Stage and then Metronomy (superb)

It's never too late to learn.

I am familiar with Paul Carrack's name and was well aware that he had been involved with several groups over the years, both as a singer and a songwriter, although I was not aware that he was in any way involved in the wonderful song The Living Years - I had always thought that this was sung by Paul Young.

Out of curiosity, I had a quick check on WIKI and, to my great surprise and dismay, read that Paul Young died of a heart attack in 2000!

Imagine my astonishment when, after further research, I discovered that the late Paul Young was not he of Every Time You Go Away fame in the 1980s, but, rather, the singer/songwriter of Sad Cafe and their hit, a favourite of mine at the time, Every Day Hurts.

Every day is a learning day. 

I thought it was now widely known that 2019 and 2020 will be next Glastonbury festivals,  and it will be on normal Pilton site.

Quotes directly from Michael and Emily on front cover of Sundays Glastonbury free press sitting on my coffee table.

This new thing variety bazaar is said to be on different site but would be as compliment to Glastonbury festival rather than an alternative in a fallow year. Wont be ready till 2021 at earliest either apparently

Archived