IGNORED

Freight Rover Trophy 1986

Sniper

Probably my favourite memory of watching City. I was 12 and never expected to see us at Wembley and to get the win was fantastic. The third goal was superb.Terry Cooper's emotional interview after the game still brings tears to my eyes. Apart from the lack of a proper badge that was a decent kit as well.

We got lost in  London on our way to the game.

At a set of traffic lights we were next to Saint & Greavesie ( who were presenting the trophy if memory serves)

Got out the car told em our predicament.

"No problem lads follow us"  Witch we did all the way to Wemberley!!!

And what a day it was.

I just remember sitting on the terraces at the end crying my eyes out. I never thought I would ever see my little old Bristol City win a trophy at Wembley.

Winning there actually meant something back then too and it was the proper old Wembley and not the new corporate `experience`.

One of my best ever days.

22 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

I just remember sitting on the terraces at the end crying my eyes out. I never thought I would ever see my little old Bristol City win a trophy at Wembley.

Winning there actually meant something back then too and it was the proper old Wembley and not the new corporate `experience`.

Couldn't have put it better myself - echo every word.

Just walking into the famous old stadium and seeing 'Bristol City' on the scoreboard brought a lump to my throat...back when Wembley and everything about it meant so much 

6 hours ago, Sniper said:

:)

Absolutely love the bloke. Iv'e said on here quite a few times what a brilliant job he did for the club and has probably been our most important signing as a manager after 82 and dragging us out the mire. It would be so fitting for something to be named after him. A bar/corperate suite, anything but he deserves something. Is this something that could be proposed at the next FAN meeting @dollymarie 

5 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

Exactly. When I went to the Wembley "clean room" in 2015, it meant not a jot.

I become nostalgic when the scoreboard was updated by two men physically changing over the numbers. 

City were ninth in 1985/86 but did well in the Freight Rover Trophy as the cup competition was known. After winning the pool stage, City had a succession of home ties and reached the Southern final. They lost the first leg at Edgar Street 2-0, but won the return leg against Hereford three nil and became the second local team to play at Wembley. The first had been Almondsbury/Greenway in an amateur competition. The opponents were to be Bolton Wanderers. The two League games had both occurred near the end of the season with City winning 4-0 at Burnden Park and 2-0 at home. At Wembley they split the difference and won 3-0 with Steve Neville scoring two of the goals. Bolton’s best player was Mark Gavin who later joined City.

Last min decision to go as I didn't drive yet  and dad wasn't sure he wanted to go. We got pissed at the white horse, lower Ashley rd, on the Friday night and I convinced him to go . Left Filton around 7am and getting to Wembley by 9, bought tickets on the day bumped into a few shire lads we knew from darts and walked to a boozer they knew was open at 11. Absolutely bollaxed , and that was my dad who was driving home, brilliant crack, amazing sing song with the Bolton lads and didn't leave pub until 2.30 and just made kick off. Seeing the bank of red to our left, somehow we ended up with seats by the royal box, was awesome and a memory you'll never forget, seeing your team for the first time at Wembley. Watched city lift the trophy and made it back to the bulldog by 7.30 for a dart competition, runner up for £50 . What a day. We never quite played as well the following year vs Mansfield.

On 25/06/2017 at 15:01, Sniper said:

:)

TC was a couple of years before my time, but I still feel it's high time his hard work in rebuilding the club after 1982 was recognised. We may have had more successful managers before and since, but I doubt we've had one who ever cared more about the club. The man is an absolute hero in my eyes.

18 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

Absolutely love the bloke. Iv'e said on here quite a few times what a brilliant job he did for the club and has probably been our most important signing as a manager after 82 and dragging us out the mire. It would be so fitting for something to be named after him. A bar/corperate suite, anything but he deserves something. Is this something that could be proposed at the next FAN meeting @dollymarie 

Just seen this, great minds think alike!

Ah the nostalgia. I was 9 years old when i went to that match. It was my first proper season going to watch City. Wasn't Keegan there at some point? Pre match? Certainly remember Saint and Greavsie presenting the trophy.

They don't make them like TC any more do they? Can only agree that some sort of permanent recognition of his contribution to the club would be a great idea.

1 hour ago, BS15_RED said:

Just seen this, great minds think alike!

20 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

Don't mean to quote my own posts but I never tagged @Dollymarie properly 

1 hour ago, Gazred said:

Ah the nostalgia. I was 9 years old when i went to that match. It was my first proper season going to watch City. Wasn't Keegan there at some point? Pre match? Certainly remember Saint and Greavsie presenting the trophy.

They don't make them like TC any more do they? Can only agree that some sort of permanent recognition of his contribution to the club would be a great idea.

A few years back I posted about it to David Lloyd on here, he acknowledged it but sadly it never came to anything. 

Archived