IGNORED

Weddings...

BRISTOL86

Hello All

Lady 86 and I are tying the knot in 18 months or so and so I thought I'd call on the collective wisdom of OTIB - as we are, let's face it, an incredibly attractive and desirable bunch - in order to gather tips and hints etc. for ensuring the day goes off without a hitch. 

We are getting lots of tips on the 'crafty' side of things (invitations and the like...) from her friends, so I thought I'd try and get some tips more on the practical side of things from those amongst us that have been there and done it.

Personal recommendations for photographer, formal hire etc would be good if anyone has recent experience...

I'll get this one out the way early so it saves someone the hassle....

Dont do it! ;) 

If you're not one for standing up and addressing a room full of people, but feel that you should do it, I would suggest doing them as soon as you can once at the reception.

We did ours when everyone was seated ready for the "wedding breakfast" (never did work out why its called that), as both me and my best man hate addressing a room. Got those out of the way before the food, so that way you can start to enjoy yourself a bit and not worrying about giving a speech.

Also make sure that you both get some time to yourself at some point. During the evening bit, we got some food and went and sat away from everyone else. Meant it was a bit quieter, and we had a chance to take it all in a bit as well as having a chat. You'd be surprised how much of the day you find yourself wandering around and chatting to everyone.

One final piece of advice, if Lady 86 says she wants to do this or that, just say yes dear. Start as you mean to go on if you like ;)

I have a wife.  To think I had 20 years of blissful happiness.........

And then I met her.

Right, so don't use a variation of that joke in your speech. Also don't under any circumstances be tempted to put in any gags about the brides Mum.  They have a slightly different attitude towards banter than that of normal people I am told.

My second piece of advice is to ensure that your best man is emotionally stable:

https://youtu.be/XGljfvdGiy4 

No need to thank me :cool:

Some random things...

Make sure the photographer is going to give you the full set of digital stills not just charge you for prints (try http://www.kesouthall.co.uk/ - she's excellent).

Consider insurance if you're laying out a lot of cash up front for venue / caterers.

Depending on how many guests and how much they're likely to drink you might be better off buying your own wine / fizz and paying corkage per person.  

Find out how many bar staff will be working and make sure there are enough - few things more annoying than large bar queues with one person serving.  You can usually get a venue to put some particular drinks on if you ask and if your mates are anything like mine you can always have a limited amount of booze served before the meal and not open the bar until afterwards.

When you're trying to budget, allow _a lot_ of contingency and don't forget some places will quote you ex vat.  Figure out as a couple what you are prepared to compromise on and what you're not.  You can negotiate prices for many things, but the earlier you are booking the easier this is - once you're in the same year as the wedding forget it.

If there's any difficulty deciding who to invite/not invite or seating plans - be selfish.  It's your (plural) day.

If you're anything like me the feeling of relief once the speeches are over will be sensational.  If you make one, make it thankful, a little amusing but mainly short.

Best of luck.

• Admin
23 minutes ago, Taxi for Johnson said:

£30??

:dunno:

tfj

I think it was £30, might not have been that much, it was however much the registry office charged for a wedding licence.  I have no idea why anyone would want to spend thousands of their hard earned on one day, which has a reasonable chance of ending up in the divorce courts anyway.

3 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

I think it was £30, might not have been that much, it was however much the registry office charged for a wedding licence.  I have no idea why anyone would want to spend thousands of their hard earned on one day, which has a reasonable chance of ending up in the divorce courts anyway.

I agree it's gone OTT and I shall be keeping it fairly humble if ever I get snared, I mean married.

But isn't there anything of the romance of the day that you can appreciate?

• Admin
4 minutes ago, WTFiGO!?! said:

I agree it's gone OTT and I shall be keeping it fairly humble if ever I get snared, I mean married.

But isn't there anything of the romance of the day that you can appreciate?

No, I only got married for the tax relief, then Blair got in and stopped it......  

You can have the romance of the day, without the ridiculous amount of money some folk spend, a mate of mine spent over £3K on his wedding 3 years ago, his missus had an affair just before Xmas and they are now split up.  He is somewhat pissed off, as the expense was catering to everything she wanted.

2 hours ago, Maesknoll Red said:

You sugar tongued romantic, you.

:wub:

tfj

Myself and Mr Peg tied the knot in a bit of a rush really (met in June, got together in August, engaged in November and married the following February - no I wasn't pregnant, we didn't see the point in waiting) and we've been married now for 10 years.

A few tips:

Hire the suits. There's a great guy called Dom who did my best mate's wedding and my brother in law's suits for his wedding. He comes to the house, measures you all and let's you keep the shirts. He can provide suits for kids and in the case of my friend, even her dog! I shit you not!

Contact details are at the bottom of the page - http://www.theoriginalmobilemenswear.com

Edit: Feel I need to add that insurance is included so if you spill a pint down yourself, it doesn't matter and I'm pretty sure the dog's waistcoat was destroyed on return! Lolz

When Mrs 86 to be is having her hair and make up done in the morning, suggest to her that she wears a dressing gown/jacket so nothing needs to be pulled up over make up and hair when she changes into her outfit.

Best tip I can give; Plan the day so you and the new Mrs86 can have 30mins/hour to yourselves between the ceremony/wedding breakfast/evening do. Myself and Mr Peg had an hour in our hotel room after the wedding breakfast but before the evening do so I could redo my make up and Mr Peg could have a nap (a little piddled). Gives you a chance to take it all in as it goes so quickly and you are in demand all day.

The best of luck to you both xxx

19 hours ago, Maesknoll Red said:

Stop it I'm welling up here!

As to the highlighted bit - we've spent our entire 15 years together (I know!) scrimping and saving, working our arses off so that we could afford to buy a house. Now that's done we can actually be a little frivolous for once  

Mrs B to be (see what I did there?!) is a selfless and generous soul who puts others before her self constantly.

For that reason I want her to have the most amazing day where for once something is about her :) 

13 hours ago, Septic Peg said:

Myself and Mr Peg tied the knot in a bit of a rush really (met in June, got together in August, engaged in November and married the following February - no I wasn't pregnant, we didn't see the point in waiting) and we've been married now for 10 years.

A few tips:

Hire the suits. There's a great guy called Dom who did my best mate's wedding and my brother in law's suits for his wedding. He comes to the house, measures you all and let's you keep the shirts. He can provide suits for kids and in the case of my friend, even her dog! I shit you not!

Contact details are at the bottom of the page - http://www.theoriginalmobilemenswear.com

Edit: Feel I need to add that insurance is included so if you spill a pint down yourself, it doesn't matter and I'm pretty sure the dog's waistcoat was destroyed on return! Lolz

When Mrs 86 to be is having her hair and make up done in the morning, suggest to her that she wears a dressing gown/jacket so nothing needs to be pulled up over make up and hair when she changes into her outfit.

Best tip I can give; Plan the day so you and the new Mrs86 can have 30mins/hour to yourselves between the ceremony/wedding breakfast/evening do. Myself and Mr Peg had an hour in our hotel room after the wedding breakfast but before the evening do so I could redo my make up and Mr Peg could have a nap (a little piddled). Gives you a chance to take it all in as it goes so quickly and you are in demand all day.

Thanks Peg great advice :) 

Congratulations!

Create a checklist. If you are struggling to even start one, some basic templates can be found online to get you going. Make a basic spreadsheet to track your costs/expenditure for the wedding budget.

The one thing that surprised me the most when I got married was that nothing was too much trouble for anyone. You would be amazed the lengths, friends, family and even strangers will go to to help make sure your big day is special.

Oh and good luck with your seating plan. The PM will have less trouble with Brexit.

On 26/06/2017 at 16:03, Maesknoll Red said:

Book the registry office, take the day off work, go to the pub before hand, get married with a couple of friends there, go to the pub, job done, it cost me £30.

I did similar. Made a cake myself. Got up made a bit of buffet food in the morning, both took a taxi together to the registry office ( I really, really wanted to go on the bus but hubby to be said no!) no bridesmaids, no best man, handful of family, very few photos but how many times do people look at them anyway, back to the house (again in a taxi) for food and drinks. Had a great day! It was a Friday so went into work the following Monday ( no Honeymoon holiday) and told everyone. 6 months later we went to Jersey for a few days

I did wear a long dress as I always wanted to, that was my only 'bride bit', but hey it cost me £10 in a sale ( was new), I altered it a little cos I can do stuff like that and it was perfect.

I'm just as married as anyone else and not in debt, in fact I got married the day before Hillsborough tragedy and we are still together so not doing too bad!

My advice to you @BRISTOL86, have a big party IF YOU BOTH WANT TO, not because you feel obliged to do so, and certainly don't stretch yourselves financially. Have a wonderful day, but make it your day because after the 'trimmings' have gone that's what's left isn't it. I hope this doesn't sound negative but I've seen things happen which I won't go into now.

On 26/06/2017 at 16:47, Maesknoll Red said:

No, I only got married for the tax relief, then Blair got in and stopped it......  

You can have the romance of the day, without the ridiculous amount of money some folk spend, a mate of mine spent over £3K on his wedding 3 years ago, his missus had an affair just before Xmas and they are now split up.  He is somewhat pissed off, as the expense was catering to everything she wanted.

If I hadn't met you in the past so I know for sure I would be pretty certain you are my husband as we did exactly the same! I should have read further down the posts before replying, you've stated what I have just eluded to in my last post too regarding friends experiences!

On 6/26/2017 at 12:57, BRISTOL86 said:

Hello All

Lady 86 and I are tying the knot in 18 months or so and so I thought I'd call on the collective wisdom of OTIB - as we are, let's face it, an incredibly attractive and desirable bunch - in order to gather tips and hints etc. for ensuring the day goes off without a hitch. 

We are getting lots of tips on the 'crafty' side of things (invitations and the like...) from her friends, so I thought I'd try and get some tips more on the practical side of things from those amongst us that have been there and done it.

Personal recommendations for photographer, formal hire etc would be good if anyone has recent experience...

I'll get this one out the way early so it saves someone the hassle....

Dont do it! ;) 

FFS

Don't do it! :thumbsup:

E-mail invites, dress casual, registry office, sarnies and booze back at your house. Don't bother with a honeymoon, when you can shag each other senseless at home. But importantly...still have a wedding list.

I could make a living out if this....wedding planner for jaded skinflints.

On 26/06/2017 at 22:12, Septic Peg said:

A few tips:

Are you sure that's all you did ;)

Archived