IGNORED

City In Kenya

Harry

Hi everyone,

I wrote on here a few weeks ago about a charity partnership name B Strong U Belong, created by group of City fans and that we were off to Nairobi, Kenya, to embark on a volunteering trip visiting some schools & orphanages and taking a whole tonne of City kit with us for the local kids.  I'm pleased to report that we returned last week after a very successful (and highly emotional) trip.

This is actually a cheeky bid for fundraising as well as filling you loverley otib-ers in on our journey.  Whilst in Kenya, we trekked over 2,500 metres up Mount Longonot as a fundraiser for two Bristol mental health charities (Off The Record & Second Step).  If you are able to spare anything toward our cause please click the link below and help us achieve our target.

https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/bsubinkenya

If you missed it, we had an article about our cause in the Bristol Post :

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/being-strong-pete-bristol-city-99648

So, with the fundraising bits done, I'm sure some of you will want to see a load of Kenyans in City shirts.  I've attached some pics of our trip below.
We were based on the outskirts of one of the biggest slums in Africa, where we visited a number of schools where the kids have literally nothing - they rely on donations for food after the government cut back on their foodbank scheme - it's a real hand-to-mouth living.  Each school was absolutely amazing and the teachers / volunteers that run them are truly inspirational people and real hero's. Despite having nothing, everyone we met was just so happy and it was a real eye-opener for all of us and put a lot of things in perspective for our own lives.  The kids were fascinated by our City tattoos, and loved the selection of City stickers we handed out too.  We also had well over 60 City kits and so there are now a whole host of Kenyan kids playing football in City tops rather than Barcelona, Man Utd and Man City!  We made our mark - they all know who Bristol City are now.

We also had to play a full game of football on a dusty, rocky pitch versus the Nairobi Soccer Queens, whom, unbeknown to us prior to agreeing to this, are actually the 3rd best women's team in Kenya.  5 of their players were missing from the game as they'd been called up to the national team for a friendly against the United States!  We won the game 6-4, having been 4 up at half time - tiredness took it's toll.  We were also ably aided by 3 locals on our team, who were damn fine footballers.
This women's team were all presented with full City kit after the game, so we should now have the 3rd best Kenyan Women's football team playing in full City kit.

I'd also add, that some of the kids in these schools who we played football with are incredibly talented players, considering they have no proper kit, no pitch, no training and battle to survive, let alone anything else.  A few of these kids were very good, and I'm keen to speak to City about a scouting venture - one local lad told me that none of the Kenyan teams scout for players in the slums, but that Barcelona run a trials day in Nairobi, and select the best 16 players to visit and train in Spain.  It seems they are the only ones doing this, so I think what's good enough for Barca should be good enough for us - perhaps we can pick up the next Famara Diedhiou for nothing.

Anyway - here are some pics of our trip. It was truly a life-changing experience.  Please please, if you can spare anything to make our efforts worthwhile, click on the link up above.

2017-06-12_10_31_55.jpg

2017-06-12 12.06.18.jpg

2017-06-12 12.50.41.jpg

2017-06-13 07.44.22.jpg

2017-06-13 07.54.19.jpg

2017-06-13 08.25.13.jpg

2017-06-13 08.25.23.jpg

2017-06-13 09.13.44.jpg

2017-06-13 09.54.33.jpg

2017-06-13 14.26.15.jpg

2017-06-13 15.15.24.jpg

2017-06-13 16.06.48.jpg

2017-06-15 11.12.50.jpg

2017-06-16 14.35.27.jpg

Absolutely outstanding Harry.

All the more interested in seeing what you guys achieved when we catch up on Saturday.

For anyone thinking that they might finish work tomorrow at 5 and will make it to the pub for the second half of England v Germany in the U21 semi, if you can stretch to the cost of a pint or two that you might have drunk during the first half, I'd wager that these guys would appreciate the support and the charity WOULD REALLY appreciate the money.

Top work lads.

4 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

Absolutely outstanding Harry.

All the more interested in seeing what you guys achieved when we catch up on Saturday.

For anyone thinking that they might finish work tomorrow at 5 and will make it to the pub for the second half of England v Germany in the U21 semi, if you can stretch to the cost of a pint or two that you might have drunk during the first half, I'd wager that these guys would appreciate the support and the charity WOULD REALLY appreciate the money.

Top work lads.

So true, we take so so much for granted don't we ? :clap:

8 hours ago, Harry said:

Hi everyone,

I wrote on here a few weeks ago about a charity partnership name B Strong U Belong, created by group of City fans and that we were off to Nairobi, Kenya, to embark on a volunteering trip visiting some schools & orphanages and taking a whole tonne of City kit with us for the local kids.  I'm pleased to report that we returned last week after a very successful (and highly emotional) trip.

This is actually a cheeky bid for fundraising as well as filling you loverley otib-ers in on our journey.  Whilst in Kenya, we trekked over 2,500 metres up Mount Longonot as a fundraiser for two Bristol mental health charities (Off The Record & Second Step).  If you are able to spare anything toward our cause please click the link below and help us achieve our target.

https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/bsubinkenya

If you missed it, we had an article about our cause in the Bristol Post :

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/being-strong-pete-bristol-city-99648

So, with the fundraising bits done, I'm sure some of you will want to see a load of Kenyans in City shirts.  I've attached some pics of our trip below.
We were based on the outskirts of one of the biggest slums in Africa, where we visited a number of schools where the kids have literally nothing - they rely on donations for food after the government cut back on their foodbank scheme - it's a real hand-to-mouth living.  Each school was absolutely amazing and the teachers / volunteers that run them are truly inspirational people and real hero's. Despite having nothing, everyone we met was just so happy and it was a real eye-opener for all of us and put a lot of things in perspective for our own lives.  The kids were fascinated by our City tattoos, and loved the selection of City stickers we handed out too.  We also had well over 60 City kits and so there are now a whole host of Kenyan kids playing football in City tops rather than Barcelona, Man Utd and Man City!  We made our mark - they all know who Bristol City are now.

We also had to play a full game of football on a dusty, rocky pitch versus the Nairobi Soccer Queens, whom, unbeknown to us prior to agreeing to this, are actually the 3rd best women's team in Kenya.  5 of their players were missing from the game as they'd been called up to the national team for a friendly against the United States!  We won the game 6-4, having been 4 up at half time - tiredness took it's toll.  We were also ably aided by 3 locals on our team, who were damn fine footballers.
This women's team were all presented with full City kit after the game, so we should now have the 3rd best Kenyan Women's football team playing in full City kit.

I'd also add, that some of the kids in these schools who we played football with are incredibly talented players, considering they have no proper kit, no pitch, no training and battle to survive, let alone anything else.  A few of these kids were very good, and I'm keen to speak to City about a scouting venture - one local lad told me that none of the Kenyan teams scout for players in the slums, but that Barcelona run a trials day in Nairobi, and select the best 16 players to visit and train in Spain.  It seems they are the only ones doing this, so I think what's good enough for Barca should be good enough for us - perhaps we can pick up the next Famara Diedhiou for nothing.

Anyway - here are some pics of our trip. It was truly a life-changing experience.  Please please, if you can spare anything to make our efforts worthwhile, click on the link up above.

2017-06-12_10_31_55.jpg

2017-06-12 12.06.18.jpg

2017-06-12 12.50.41.jpg

2017-06-13 07.44.22.jpg

2017-06-13 07.54.19.jpg

2017-06-13 08.25.13.jpg

2017-06-13 08.25.23.jpg

2017-06-13 09.13.44.jpg

2017-06-13 09.54.33.jpg

2017-06-13 14.26.15.jpg

2017-06-13 15.15.24.jpg

2017-06-13 16.06.48.jpg

2017-06-15 11.12.50.jpg

2017-06-16 14.35.27.jpg

Excellent work. Expect it was very humbling. 

Brilliant work, Harry and all. You've clearly gone to great lengths to try to improve other people's lives. Gives us all an example of football being one thing, but life being more important. And without good mental health, life can be worthless, so you've done so much good here, on many fronts. Really proud City fans are capable of this. Well done all.

As many have said already, Well Done Harry - I am sure it was, in many ways, a thoroughly rewarding trip.

I notice in one of the photos in the 'Three Lions' montage (Post 3), a man in camouflage at the end of the row appears to be holding some form of gun.

Out of curiosity, was that for protection against men or wildlife?

23 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

As many have said already, Well Done Harry - I am sure it was, in many ways, a thoroughly rewarding trip.

I notice in one of the photos in the 'Three Lions' montage (Post 3), a man in camouflage at the end of the row appears to be holding some form of gun.

Out of curiosity, was that for protection against men or wildlife?

Look again Phil. That man with a gun is displaying a healthy looking chest. ''Twas indeed a lady. Named Mercy. She was our guide for the hike - reason being there are snakes, wildcats and more worryingly buffalo in the foothills. We had to stop for 15 mins or so about half way up as some buffalo were spotted in the bushes a hundred or so yards away. 

Mercy was a legend - gun notwithstanding! She could run to the crater rim in 13 minutes (that's 3.2k all uphill and on dodgy terrain). Did the whole 6 hour hike with us without a single drop of water! 

Anyway, we thought we'd sticker up her gun regardless! 

IMG_5202.JPG

IMG_5203.JPG

2 minutes ago, Harry said:

Look again Phil. That man with a gun is displaying a healthy looking chest. ''Twas indeed a lady. Named Mercy. She was our guide for the hike - reason being there are snakes, wildcats and more worryingly buffalo in the foothills. We had to stop for 15 mins or so about half way up as some buffalo were spotted in the bushes a hundred or so yards away. 

Mercy was a legend - gun notwithstanding! She could run to the crater rim in 13 minutes (that's 3.2k all uphill and on dodgy terrain). Did the whole 6 hour hike with us without a single drop of water! 

Anyway, we thought we'd sticker up her gun regardless! 

IMG_5202.JPG

IMG_5203.JPG

Stick(er) 'em up!

I've now got that Duffy song in my head. I'm imagining a load of animals singing it at her.

To be perfectly honest, the characters and scenery of your photos were so captivating that I failed to notice whether some random person in a green shirt and camouflage trousers at the end of a line of people in a photo had breasts ;).

I have been to Kenya on several occasions over the years, and high in the list of my memories, scenery, beaches and wildlife apart, is the warmth of the people in general, but particularly the captivating smiles of the often poverty-stricken children and the fortitude of the women - I have seen at first hand, in what seemed to be miles from any civilisation, women carrying 10litre jerry cans of water on their heads: try and imagine, as a fit young man, having to do that on a daily basis - and then having to wash and start cooking for your family!   

Unfortunately, however, like many things in our current world, things have changed greatly, but not always for the better.

Some years ago, back in 1980 to be precise, I had one of the best meals I have ever had the pleasure of eating, with service to match, in an old colonial hotel in Nairobi, The Norfolk. Sadly, modernisation - exacerbated, it has to be said, by a terrorist bomb attack - has resulted in this quaint but functioning 'relic' being transformed in to a 'luxury' 5 star hotel with no character whatsoever and staff who blend perfectly in to the now bland and boring surroundings.

But, I digress. 

Well Done again, and I am sure you have left an abiding memory for the people you met during your trip.      

Just back from the Sports Bar and Gril... sorry, 'pizza place' to meet those who will be the recipients of the monies raised by the activities and endeavours of those who cycled, flew and badgered folk to part with a few bob.

Properly inspiring stuff.

I'm sure @Harry will be around later to provide more details, both of the fantastically huge amount of money they raised and how it will be used.

If you are thinking 'I have some capacity to do a bit more' - over and above the in work cake sale, the dress down day and whatever other fund raising opportunities come your way, reach out to these guys.

Inspired to raise money based on a City supporting friend, and a lot of their fundraising has a City edge to it.

Get involved!

On 2017-6-27 at 01:27, Red Army Faction said:

I always thought 3 Lions was a pub.

Don't tell me they organised the flags too?

Think i might poo myself if those particular 3 lions was in the lions pub. 

But fair play to those who did this - great cause must have been an experience of a lifetime.

20 hours ago, REDOXO said:

This would be a great story for a matchday programme and an interview on the website @AdamB

Happy to give this a shout out. Email adam.baker@bcfc.co.uk with details and pics and we'll follow it up.

Regards,
Adam

Archived