IGNORED

Transfer Budget

Sturny

So with the recent spending of £5.2m it makes me wonder what our transfer budget for this season started out as. 8-10 mil? Are we gonna see a few more mil splashed about :yawn:

LJ stated he'd like 3-4 more signings, could they all be out of contract or on loan players if majority of the budget's gone?  

I don't think we have or ever have (under SL) had a set budget. 

SL has always been very open about supporting his managers and said that he'll listen to any requests, see what the terms look like and weigh up if it is good business. 

I think the only difference this time is that we've probably gone a bit over with our offer, to get the deal done, before other interested clubs can react. Having said that, £5million in today's market is big, but it's not massive, in general terms. 

5 minutes ago, Sturny said:

So with the recent spending of £5.2m it makes me wonder what our transfer budget for this season started out as. 8-10 mil? Are we gonna see a few more mil splashed about :yawn:

LJ stated he'd like 3-4 more signings, could they all be out of contract or on loan players if majority of the budget's gone?  

of course Flint and maybe even Bryan could be on their way increasing the budget + one or 2 more moving on freeing up wages?.

Don't we have to be mindful of FFP though?

I believe we are being, not a criticism of the club- is with allowable losses though, how will that affect the transfer budget?

I believe they are judged over 3 years?

We lost £14.9m in 15-16, just checked. With equity we are allowed to lose £13m so we can therefore legitimately at this level lose £12.05m per season for next 2 years, one of which is year just gone.

I reckon we'll sign another 2 players permanently. Then maybe 1 or 2 loans. Doubt we'll be spending much more now, depending on outgoings that is. If we lose Flint, Bryan and Tomlin then obviously we would have to spend quite a bit to replace them but I don't think we'll be letting anyone have our players.

• Admin
22 minutes ago, Sturny said:

So with the recent spending of £5.2m

How much have we "actually" paid up front?

Is the £5.2m dependant on us winning promotion etc?

17 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

I don't think we have or ever have (under SL) had a set budget. 

SL has always been very open about supporting his managers and said that he'll listen to any requests, see what the terms look like and weigh up if it is good business. 

I think the only difference this time is that we've probably gone a bit over with our offer, to get the deal done, before other interested clubs can react. Having said that, £5million in today's market is big, but it's not massive, in general terms. 

Always an interesting angle that SL has taken, probably for the best so keeps people away from pushing up demands

24 minutes ago, Sturny said:

Did LJ state that today? 3 or 4 more on top of what we brought in this week?

I reckon we will spend similar to last season £10-12m plus possibly loans, I think we will see a minimum of 4 players arrive plus several U23 players. If we sell more players then obviously we will no doubt add to that. Good to see Lansdown back his manager I just hope he is backing the right bloke.

Transfer budget is a bit of misnomer. Sean Dyche said in an interview last season that wages are more of an obstacle. So even if we know the transfer fee (and we often don't ) it is still necessary to add on the salary etc to get the real outlay. The club never reveal that. So we can't with any certainty estimate what the club have spent or committed to.

5 hours ago, phantom said:

Fully expect additions to come from Chelsea youth

I really hope so. After Tammy we must be seen as a good feeder club so why not make the most of it. The only issue is that Im not sure we can guarantee any players playing the 90%+ games like we did with Tammy.

A meeting was also held with Man City who have an academy that is quickly evolving to become one of the best in this country.

14 minutes ago, Dynamite Red said:

If Wilbs is off we may need another striker plus I think we need a better left back. Smaller squad? I don't see it.

Im baffled with the left back position because he raves about Bryan and has Maggers and Golbourne who I expect will move on.

A budget consists of a series of planned income and expenditure over a given period. If there is a proper budget there must be a plan to generate income to balance, to a certain degree, expenditure. Just spending money doesn't seem to fit Steve Lansdown's long term plan, thank goodness. If he wants to get the club on a sound financial footing, someone has to go to balance the cost of those coming in. 

5 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

A budget consists of a series of planned income and expenditure over a given period. If there is a proper budget there must be a plan to generate income to balance, to a certain degree, expenditure. Just spending money doesn't seem to fit Steve Lansdown's long term plan, thank goodness. If he wants to get the club on a sound financial footing, someone has to go to balance the cost of those coming in. 

I think they already have together with sell ons and the like. I would love to see a definitive transfer `balance sheet` for the period since we got promoted to the championship but I don`t suppose we ever will.

17 minutes ago, Dynamite Red said:

Such as?

How many of those were signed by Johnson/Ashton?

If you're getting every signing right then you're not likely to be making many signings. If the failure rate is under 30% then I'd say we'd probably be doing ok. The caveat though is that you really want to concentrate bad signings in the low-cost/low-risk category. If our three highest cost high paid signings go to hell in a handcart then I doubt we'd care much the other 7 signings that did okay.

The quaility of a signing is probably best judged on exit.

Archived