IGNORED

Paterson & Forward Options

Kingswoodactor

I actually think our new record signing with Paterson tucked behind him could be exciting, as I believe Pats was playing that role behind Tammy to good effect in the last 5-6 games of last season.

Add an exciting right winger to the mix, and I'd like our front 4 to look like:

Diedhiou

O'Dowda or ?             Paterson                New RW

Could Brownhill play Wide Right?

Whoscored.com- an interesting, but by no means the whole picture suggests Brownhill last season:

• Played 6 games on the right of midfield
  • Average rating in that position- 7.46.
  • Is good at crossing- listed as a strength.
  • Holding onto the ball another.
  • Defensive contribution another.

He's very versatile which is generally a good thing. O'Dowda on the left, Paterson in middle, Brownhill on the right could be interesting...

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Could Brownhill play Wide Right?

Whoscored.com- an interesting, but by no means the whole picture suggests Brownhill last season:

• Played 6 games on the right of midfield
  • Average rating in that position- 7.46.
  • Is good at crossing- listed as a strength.
  • Holding onto the ball another.
  • Defensive contribution another.

He's very versatile which is generally a good thing. O'Dowda on the left, Paterson in middle, Brownhill on the right could be interesting...

No for me. If he plays in that system he will have to be a midfield 2. You can't play COD and Brownhill as attacking players as they don't have enough goals in them.

2 minutes ago, Super said:

No for me. If he plays in that system he will have to be a midfield 2. You can't play COD and Brownhill as attacking players as they don't have enough goals in them.

However, if lots of assists come about from it- let's remember how young they are also, first season at this level and that so significant room for growth- then it could work.

To me, goals or assists- both are great but doesn't matter which is provided. If not many goals but lots of assists then that would still work for the team. Now granted, there were only 2 assists last season between them, something I just looked up- but last season had a very difficult period, they appeared as subs often, different positions, chopping and changing.

I think we should certainly try it out IMO, but the question is when...?

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

However, if lots of assists come about from it- let's remember how young they are also, first season at this level and that so significant room for growth- then it could work.

To me, goals or assists- both are great but doesn't matter which is provided. If not many goals but lots of assists then that would still work for the team. Now granted, there were only 2 assists last season between them, something I just looked up- but last season had a very difficult period, they appeared as subs often, different positions, chopping and changing.

I think we should certainly try it out IMO, but the question is when...?

Puts real pressure on Diedhiou and Paterson (if he plays) as we have midfielders who rarely score. For me the 3 players behind the striker have to score goals.

28 minutes ago, Kingswoodactor said:

I actually think our new record signing with Paterson tucked behind him could be exciting, as I believe Pats was playing that role behind Tammy to good effect in the last 5-6 games of last season.

Add an exciting right winger to the mix, and I'd like our front 4 to look like:

Diedhiou

O'Dowda or ?             Paterson                New RW

I don't think he was , Taylor was in behind with Patterson coming in off the left. How I saw it anyway

I'm surprised at all the suggestions of O'dowda to be a first team regular choice. 

I know he's young and learning, so don't want to appear overly critical/harsh and I'm certainly not writing him off, but he doesn't effect the game anywhere near enough. 

He's clearly got some talent & works hard, but doesn't actually do anything to impact games, yet. 

Certainly not a first choice starter for me. 

1 minute ago, Shtanley said:

I think it'll be Taylor upfront playing slightly deeper than Diedhiou. Paterson and Brownhill or COD on the wings.

The beauty of Taylor & Diedhiou up front is that defenders won't have a clue what's about to happen. 

Taylor & Diedhiou won't have a clue what they are about to do, so defenders certainly won't!

I would like to see us starting with providing all personal stays the same Diedhion up top, with Calum, tomlin and Patterson behind, with marlon and Korey holding, bringing on brownhill for tomlin away from home or if we are looking to consolidate. Still gives us forward options on the bench to come on with Dujric, engvall, and Taylor. 

2 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Feel we need another winger who can also play forward.. in a 2 or a 3.. a direct runner who's quick, a good dribbler and also a goal threat. A bit like a Murray/Adomah/Bolasie type. I like Paterson and CO'D but feel we're a bit light out wide.

Not so sure about playing wingers,think we have to play a narrower system, we conceded just too many goals last season and actually could have relegated us, attacking options seem to be well covered, defence we have recruited one, and we need more, with a quality keeper.

30 minutes ago, 1bristolcity said:

Not so sure about playing wingers,think we have to play a narrower system, we conceded just too many goals last season and actually could have relegated us, attacking options seem to be well covered, defence we have recruited one, and we need more, with a quality keeper.

With Durjic and Diedhiou up front we need some width from somewhere.  Whether this will be provided by wide midfielders or wing backs we'll have to wait and see. 

Just now, Redfield red said:

Double D's upfront would be a great pair, and a real handful

..you could of just left it at that!!  ;)

I can see Durjic playing a big role next season.  Really like him as a player.  These two and some runners from midfield could cause mayhem.

Think O'Dowda will kick on too.  His time with ROI will have boosted his confidence and he got goals at Oxford so I expect that aspect of his game to improve too.

1 hour ago, 1bristolcity said:

We've got two big strong powerful forwards, it would be crazy if we didn't make the most of that by stretching the play wide and utilising lots of crosses.

2 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

I'm surprised at all the suggestions of O'dowda to be a first team regular choice. 

I know he's young and learning, so don't want to appear overly critical/harsh and I'm certainly not writing him off, but he doesn't effect the game anywhere near enough. 

He's clearly got some talent & works hard, but doesn't actually do anything to impact games, yet. 

Certainly not a first choice starter for me. 

Yeah I agree. In all fairness he did have some good performances towards the end of the season and proved he can cause full backs a problem but we might be pleasantly surprised. 

wow, Bristol City have come so far that we can just disregard a player of Tomlins quality! Possibly wrong, but not a single post with him in it. Seems like he had off field problems last season, hopefully all sorted now & he can kick on & show the quality he undoubtedly has. COYR  

3 minutes ago, Simon79 said:

wow, Bristol City have come so far that we can just disregard a player of Tomlins quality! Possibly wrong, but not a single post with him in it. Seems like he had off field problems last season, hopefully all sorted now & he can kick on & show the quality he undoubtedly has. COYR  

The problem is if we are playing 2 up front as most people are suggesting then I cannot see how you could fit LT into the team. Would be a shame as players that talented very rarely end up at our club. 

Archived