IGNORED

That feeling again.....

brizzlelou

If it helps, we replaced a great striker with somebody who might be as good.

If the sum of all our parts was a 4 out of 10 team that escaped relegation by the skin of their teeth, you'll be reassured by the realistic fact that we may have reached 5.

10 hours ago, Red_Wizard said:

Learned not to get that feeling now. Bigging players up last season was a huge mistake, as none delivered except Tammy. Although these signings look great on paper, we still have Lee Johnson in charge. Hence, have no optimism this season until he is gone.

Expect nothing, it avoids disappointment. There are also many other squads/teams who look good on paper, management of them is key.

13 hours ago, glos old boy said:

Expect nothing, it avoids disappointment. There are also many other squads/teams who look good on paper, management of them is key.

That's it me old mucker.

Thing is, I am now starting to see us as a club now with the potential to reach the PL, and to shake off that "sleeping giant" tag. We've got an amazing stadium, we've just set a new record on one signing. We are starting to so show how serious we are. Then, I see our coaching staff and just think to myself "it's never going to be 100% correct at Bristol City". Something always holds us back, and in this case now it is Johnson.

We went through all this last year and the simple facts were we hadn't assembled a squad anywhere near good enough for the playoffs. A few results went our way at the start but inevitable happened.

I look at the squad now and I really don't see why anybody would rationally expect better this season. 

You can hope, we all do, but realistically why is this season going to yield anything better than 15th given all the evidence?

53 minutes ago, brizzlelou said:

The feeling of hope has gone already......

Really?

Because someone with a track record of moving from club to club in very short order has gone?

I'm a lifer (watching us for 45 years) so I'm a confirmed pessimist anyway, but if we use this money wisely on someone who will benefit the team, not himself, we will be far better off.

14th would do me nicely this season and after listening to Steve Lansdown's interview before the Guernsey game, him too..

3 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

if we use this money wisely

On another Engval maybe ?  How much more money can we flush down the pan ?

I'm a lifer as well of similar years but my patience has all but expired for the first time.

1 minute ago, BigTone said:

I'm a lifer as well of similar years but my patience has all but expired for the first time.

Or another Kodjia?

Or pay £200k for another Brownhill? 

It isn't all bad, in the same way it isn't all good, either..

2 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Watch this space, Tone. Rumour is now he's looking to off load Lucic!!.

11 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Really?

Because someone with a track record of moving from club to club in very short order has gone?

I'm a lifer (watching us for 45 years) so I'm a confirmed pessimist anyway, but if we use this money wisely on someone who will benefit the team, not himself, we will be far better off.

14th would do me nicely this season and after listening to Steve Lansdown's interview before the Guernsey game, him too..

Just been saying the same to a colleague. We could get a couple of decent, hard working players for the fee received and the wages saved. Might work out to be a master stroke in the end.*

*:fingerscrossed:

4 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Or another Kodjia?

Its all very well making a tidy profit off people like Kodjia if you spend it wisely. We don't seem to do that and herein lies the problem.

7 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Really?

Do I trust MA to bring in the players who are skilful, fit, with physical presence and mental strength to compete in the Championship, who have the right DNA and who want to play for us? No.

Do I trust LJ to man-manage any players we do sign, to develop a consistent style of play, formation and develop players? No.

Do I have confidence that our 'development process' will deliver 'oven ready' players to play Championship football in the foreseeable future? No.

Unless, by some fluke, we manage to bring in 4-5 'ready to go' Championship players who will perform consistently throughout the next season we are going to be in big trouble. If we lose Flinty, who may not be perfect, but the best we've got by a country mile, we are in deep shite. Build a team around him....loyal, trustworthy, passionate, committed, strong and disciplined. Those are the qualities I want in my side, not little robots running around like headless chickens. 

MA and LJ need to raise their games massively in the next few weeks.

The judge me in three windows..... I must admit, I wasn't expecting wholesale changes and a team rebuild in the third! 

On ‎29‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 18:27, brizzlelou said:

Oh bloody hell! Mods please move? Didn't realise I was on transfer section. Thank you

On ‎29‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 19:58, RedM said:

Moved...but you might regret this! :laughcont:

Moved ? ... Red M  - surely you should have said 'transferred' ?  :) 

I may be the only one, but it wouldn't bother me if nobody else signs this summer (assuming no more departures either).

Half the trouble the last couple of seasons has been an unsettled side due to wholesale changes each transfer window.

I would be quite happy with a couple of new faces, such as we have already, and a squad with some team spirit and an extra year of Championship experience.

Brownhill, Bryan, O'Dowda and the likes will all be better for the experience of last season and I can see us easily improving on last seasons finishing position.

I admire the positivity in this thread but I'm feeling the total opposite.

We just about stayed up, are weaker than we ended last season plus we have an utter buffoon of a head coach.

As things stand, I don't think we'll even stay up let alone bother the top half. We need serious strengthening as, behind our first 11, we have nothing which gives me any confidence whatsoever.

Someone needed to say it! 

Abuse away. :gasmask:

34 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

We just about stayed up, are weaker than we ended last season plus we have an utter buffoon of a head coach.

As things stand, I don't think we'll even stay up let alone bother the top half. We need serious strengthening as, behind our first 11, we have nothing which gives me any confidence whatsoever.

Well said Son

37 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

I'm with you. I think it's going to be another relegation scare, sadly.

6 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Or another Kodjia?

There are plenty of bargains out there.  Just gotta find them.

In theory our RB should be stronger than last season, but in fairness as much as I think Diedhiou won't get 20, I think he might be an easier partner than Tammy, which might mean goals from elsewhere.

I'd written off Tomlin a couple of weeks ago, nowhere near my starting eleven at all, so no big loss imho...a £2.9m gain in some respects.

If we could strengthen one position it would be CM for me.  Have no issues with Pack, Smith or Brownhill...but imagine getting a significant upgrade in the middle of the park....that could make a real difference.  The problem is, other clubs get them, not us.  So suspect we might get another striker or wide-man or both.  Imagine a Aaron Mooy, a Danny Williams, type player, coming in.

13 hours ago, Davefevs said:

If we could strengthen one position it would be CM for me.  Have no issues with Pack, Smith or Brownhill...but imagine getting a significant upgrade in the middle of the park....that could make a real difference.  The problem is, other clubs get them, not us.  So suspect we might get another striker or wide-man or both.  Imagine a Aaron Mooy, a Danny Williams, type player, coming in.

I would have liked Cheikh N'Doye to come in from Angers, however he has signed for Brum instead. I imagine his wages are huge but it was on a free.

Archived