IGNORED

Engvall

GrahamC

On 01/07/2017 at 17:08, Nogbad the Bad said:

It's not so much Engvall has failed to deliver, more that LJ would have given the final go ahead for City to sign him - for not insignificant money - and has then never given him the opportunities to deliver.

Has LJ given up on Engvall? Was he not - 'One for the future'? If I'm not mistaken he arrived with an injury, which would have made it difficult for Engvall. 

I thought loaning him out was best for all concerned. 

However did wonder whether this was a signing that out then head of scouting - Taylor - recommended. I believe he was well connected in Europe. 

I really do hope Engvall has successful season with us in 2017/18.

COYR.

24 minutes ago, Tangle Foot said:

Has LJ given up on Engvall? Was he not - 'One for the future'? If I'm not mistaken he arrived with an injury, which would have made it difficult for Engvall. 

I thought loaning him out was best for all concerned. 

However did wonder whether this was a signing that out then head of scouting - Taylor - recommended. I believe he was well connected in Europe. 

I really do hope Engvall has successful season with us in 2017/18.

COYR.

No, he wasn't brought in as one for the future. You're right he was injured but LJ expected him to make his mark in the first team fairly quickly once recovered.

Certainly no indication he had any thought of sending him out on loan.

Has LJ given up on him? Well, it's beginning to look that way, but who knows, and if it turns out GE has a successful 17/18 with City, so much the better.

Certainly for me the best goal he's scored since going back to Sweden.

From memory his first, when he shot across the keeper and it went inside the far post, was a good goal but this was an excellent one.

On ‎02‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 08:06, Major Isewater said:

LJ. insists that Gus will come back for warm weather training in Tenerife ...

Watch this space ...

no , over here.    :ermm:

He will either come back and fall into line and we can stop all this guesswork or he refuses to come back and  his future at BCFC becomes clearer .

Make what you want of it, but heard from someone that works for the club that LJ doesn't rate him at all.

Now this was in the first half of last season, and how we preformed in the middle of the season and him getting no where hear a start, could have a ring of truth to it.

We will find out in a few weeks time. I hope he comes back and gets a bat. Seems to be doing well back home.

You'd think a player that's in the Swedish National squad might get a game for us?

Without ever seeing the boy kick a ball what the **** do I know about him?

Last season there was only ever one forward spot available. The form of Tammy saw to that.

It was inevitable that someone wasn't going to get a chance. Do you partner a youth (Tammy) with another youth or do you bow to experience and bring on the likes of Wilbs?

Only thing that surprised me was the signing of Taylor, it was that signing that made me wonder if Engvall was in the future plans of LJ.

Whether he stays or not this is all good news. If he comes back in this form and hits the ground running thats good for us. Or each goal he scores there raises his value. I would think we would be hoping to get our money back at the very least. If Djurgarden don't have the money for him then someone else will. 

On 30/06/2017 at 21:16, Davefevs said:

Aha, someone who's commenting on Engvall's playing time.what do the lucky few of us who've seen him think of his actual performances?

I saw him start once (Hull - 76 mins and come on as sub twice (Reading away 14 mins and Brentford home 26 minutes).  Not a big sample I'll grant you, but in particular the Hull game he showed more than enough for me to think he wasn't out of his depth.  His speed over a few yards and link up with Wilbs was quite good in a game of few chances for us against a well-marshalled defence.  He nipped away a few times showing speed of thought.  The Reading game I don't recall much, mainly because I was watching out for Joe, because a load of idiots were congregated around our wheelchair area.  Brentford, we were chasing the game and he ran around like a man possessed trying to spark something, to no avail, and not very impressively either.

Part of the problem in our mid-season wobble was that we played 1 up top, and when chasing games, who do you go-to? Wilbs or Gustav.  He regularly made the match day 18.  If he was shit, why would LJ have even bothered putting him in the 18.

I'm not sure where the homesickness rumours came from.  I spoke to him at Xmas along with several others and we had a pretty lengthy chat, about his move across from Sweden, the challenge of getting minutes, family (thought it was a bit personal to ask about his girlfriend), his footballing style etc.  He didn't strike me as homesick, he seemed happy, liked Bristol.  He milled around Charlton Farm with Hordur, Pato and a couple of others.  He is certainly confident in his own ability from what he said.

Of course all of this might've been a cover-up in front of the public.

Financially, £1.3m (plus add-ons) is a big gamble, but typically Scandinavians settle well in the U.K., his pedigree was good for a youngster (and in the Swedish youth groups), playing a lot of games in his homeland for his age.

Ultimately, whether he is a success here will depend on whether he gets a chance.  Given a chance, only then will we get to see whether the promise of Hull was a one-off or not.

He's unlikely to go for zilch, so it's not going to be a total write-off should it not work out.

Wouldn't mind seeing him playing off of Diedhiou, clever runs, little passes into pockets.  Maybe I'm just fantasising about his ability, but I think he'll be more of an asset than Taylor given the same opportunity.

My view only.

Totally agree with you but one thing I would like to mention is how demoralizing it must be for Engvil especially when the likes of Tomlin kept getting a chance to shine when not in good form and then we go and sign Taylor which puts him down the pecking order so not to be given a fair chance like you said from those games when he more than deserved his opportunity must have affected him. Also from the goals Engvil has scored in Sweden he looks like a very good finisher, I get a feeling that if this lad moves on without being given a fair chance we will end up kicking ourselves.

12 hours ago, stephenkibby. said:

Make what you want of it, but heard from someone that works for the club that LJ doesn't rate him at all.

Now this was in the first half of last season, and how we preformed in the middle of the season and him getting no where hear a start, could have a ring of truth to it.

We will find out in a few weeks time. I hope he comes back and gets a bat. Seems to be doing well back home.

You'd think a player that's in the Swedish National squad might get a game for us?

Without ever seeing the boy kick a ball what the **** do I know about him?

I think that is blatantly obvious.

It's a strange one. LJ has the final say on transfers (HE said so) , yet it looked very much like Engvall's face didn't fit. 
I didn't see much of him t all, less than others, but he looks like he has a good touch and plays in a similar way to Taylor. Now Taylor , to me (and I will give him a bit of credit for assists) , has a poor touch, lacks a real burst of pace and seemed a poor finisher. Yet he was given a lengthy run and Engvall was shipped out. Admittedly , Taylor works hard (so did Agard) but he hardly looked like scoring last year. Maybe it took him that long to get up to speed of the Championship, I'm not convinced. 
I think Engvall deserves a run, I hope LJ is a big enough man to have had another look while he seems to be doing well. If he struggles here fair enough, with Djuric and Diedhiou looking favourites to be named in the squad at least places again may be limited. 
We will need 4 strikers and different styles at that. MD and FD are a given then MT as LJ's fav and as I think McCoulsky will probably go on loan, that would leave a spot for Engvall . Unless we get a loan in.
He's going to the ring camp so it will be interesting to hear reports from anyone heading out there.

1 minute ago, 1960maaan said:

It's a strange one. LJ has the final say on transfers (HE said so) , yet it looked very much like Engvall's face didn't fit. 
I didn't see much of him t all, less than others, but he looks like he has a good touch and plays in a similar way to Taylor. Now Taylor , to me (and I will give him a bit of credit for assists) , has a poor touch, lacks a real burst of pace and seemed a poor finisher. Yet he was given a lengthy run and Engvall was shipped out. Admittedly , Taylor works hard (so did Agard) but he hardly looked like scoring last year. Maybe it took him that long to get up to speed of the Championship, I'm not convinced. 
I think Engvall deserves a run, I hope LJ is a big enough man to have had another look while he seems to be doing well. If he struggles here fair enough, with Djuric and Diedhiou looking favourites to be named in the squad at least places again may be limited. 
We will need 4 strikers and different styles at that. MD and FD are a given then MT as LJ's fav and as I think McCoulsky will probably go on loan, that would leave a spot for Engvall . Unless we get a loan in.
He's going to the ring camp so it will be interesting to hear reports from anyone heading out there.

Wish I was-La Caleta,lovely spot.

3 minutes ago, Robert the bruce said:

Wish I was-La Caleta,lovely spot.

If they had announced it earlier, I may have been able to swing a long weekend with the MRs. As it is holidays all used/booked and work wouldn't look kindly on me going missing for a jolly for football.

12 minutes ago, cynic said:

All of a sudden, Engvall is the bees knees.

Isn't that what is supposed to happen to players you buy for development?  He may not have had much game time here, but you have to wonder whether his form since returning to Sweden is partly down to the fitness training and coaching he has received here. (That's going to make me popular) ;)

On 7/1/2017 at 18:15, Nogbad the Bad said:

On the contrary LJ has said that's exactly the way transfers at Bristol City are run.

He has the final say.

On 7/1/2017 at 18:28, BRISTOL86 said:

I'm sure no one has ever said anything they don't mean.

If Engvall was LJs man from the off then his lack of selection has been beyond baffling. Would be amazed to learn he was ever his target. 

So LJ said he has the final say on transfers, but if an expensive signing appears to fail to come off after barely being given an opportunity, we can discount his words because perhaps he didn't mean what he said.

Interesting, I wonder how much else LJ says that he doesn't mean? :dunno:

3 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

So LJ said he has the final say on transfers, but if an expensive signing appears to fail to come off after barely being given an opportunity, we can discount his words because perhaps he didn't mean what he said.

Interesting, I wonder how much else LJ says that he doesn't mean? :dunno:

Yea that's what I said :gaah:

I swear you deliberately miss the point just for the sake of it. 

My point was simply that if he were brought in above his head so to speak (let's face it, wouldn't be the first time at BCFC) he's hardly going to come out and say that in interviews, is he? 

I can't reconcile an expensive signing that LJ desperately wanted with a player getting zero game time even when we were awful and desperately needed a plan B, C, D....so to me it's not a ridiculous suggestion that he didn't want him in the first place.

I'm not a huge LJ fan, in fact if he was to leave tomorrow and I never heard his name mentioned again, I'd be a happy chappy. 

Now that's out of the way, does anybody really know the full story with him and Engvall? By that I mean, not speculating, not guessing, actually have a first hand account of knowing what the full story is?

We've all heard the face doesn't fit/not good enough/not yet ready for the Championship/homesick stories, but what is the deal?

Pretty sure I read early on that his girlfriend was in Sweden at University still (?), and he couldn't settle because of the distance etc etc. IF that was the case, then it makes perfect sense why he went back to Sweden on loan, as opposed to a league 1 club over here. Again, I'm now speculating, perhaps things have changed now on that level, and both Engvall and his girlfriend are ready to move to England and start from scratch. At the end of the day he can't have been that against the move in the first place - he did agree terms etc!!

Again, no LJ fan, but does anybody really know the full story? 

If Engvall comes back (presuming he wants to) and comes back in and starts scoring as often as he has done on loan, you'd have to think that the supposed rumours of a fallout are complete bull. Let's be fair, it wouldn't be the first time OTIB has made a story up and decided that was fact.

I suppose in a way, I'm defending LJ. Can't believe that :blink: 

Really hope he comes back firing on all cylinders, because there is a lot of potential there. Whether we can benefit from it though, is a completely different question.

3 minutes ago, Taz said:

I'm not a huge LJ fan, in fact if he was to leave tomorrow and I never heard his name mentioned again, I'd be a happy chappy. 

Now that's out of the way, does anybody really know the full story with him and Engvall? By that I mean, not speculating, not guessing, actually have a first hand account of knowing what the full story is?

We've all heard the face doesn't fit/not good enough/not yet ready for the Championship/homesick stories, but what is the deal?

Pretty sure I read early on that his girlfriend was in Sweden at University still (?), and he couldn't settle because of the distance etc etc. IF that was the case, then it makes perfect sense why he went back to Sweden on loan, as opposed to a league 1 club over here. Again, I'm now speculating, perhaps things have changed now on that level, and both Engvall and his girlfriend are ready to move to England and start from scratch. At the end of the day he can't have been that against the move in the first place - he did agree terms etc!!

If Engvall comes back (presuming he wants to) and comes back in and starts scoring as often as he has done on loan, you'd have to think that the supposed rumours of a fallout are complete bull. Let's be fair, it wouldn't be the first time OTIB has made a story up and decided that was fact.

I think if there was anything untoward going on, like Tomlin earlier in the season, we'd have a few more rumours about it.

I think it's a bit of all of what you said. From the hints and whispers on here it seems.. he got injured/ill early on in his arrival which didn't help him settle, he perhaps wasn't quite good enough/ready this level, wanted a loan back to Sweden for the girlfriend thing and also to be in the picture for the Sweden U21s.

If he's fit now, a better player and perhaps a bit more grown up in order to settle here - he might end up being a good player for us.

4 minutes ago, Taz said:

Really hope he comes back firing on all cylinders, because there is a lot of potential there. Whether we can benefit from it though, is a completely different question.

I don't know "the story" or even if there is one...... but I don't think that not leaping to conclusions about the players relationship with the Manager because he can't break into the first team is defending him, just being fair. 

5 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Yea that's what I said :gaah:

I swear you deliberately miss the point just for the sake of it. 

Not sure why you're so frustrated, I simply responded your words when you said he might not have meant what he said.

My point was simply that if he were brought in above his head so to speak (let's face it, wouldn't be the first time at BCFC) he's hardly going to come out and say that in interviews, is he? 

I can't reconcile an expensive signing that LJ desperately wanted with a player getting zero game time even when we were awful and desperately needed a plan B, C, D....so to me it's not a ridiculous suggestion that he didn't want him in the first place.

I didn't say LJ 'desperately wanted him', not sure where you got that from.

Simply that the player would have been put forward to LJ as a potential signing, and after making his own deliberations, watching DVD's, maybe even watching him live, talking face to face, it would have been down to him whether he chose to add Engvall to the squad, or not.

Most of us 'cannot reconcile the expensive signing getting zero game time', hence the debate, it's just you seem to be going to great lengths to absolve LJ of any responsibility at all for some reason.

How about LJ was happy enough to sign him but then, for whatever reason, has failed to give him a real chance? Beyond baffling, as you rightly said earlier, but LJ not wanting him in the first place seems the most unlikely scenario given what he said.

McCoulsky is only several months younger yet everyone is super excited about him because he's scored goals in the 6th tier of english football. Engvall is second top scorer in sweden and an u21 international but everybody has already made up their minds.

28 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I didn't say LJ 'desperately wanted him', not sure where you got that from.

Simply that the player would have been put forward to LJ as a potential signing, and after making his own deliberations, watching DVD's, maybe even watching him live, talking face to face, it would have been down to him whether he chose to add Engvall to the squad, or not.

Most of us 'cannot reconcile the expensive signing getting zero game time', hence the debate, it's just you seem to be going to great lengths to absolve LJ of any responsibility at all for some reason.

How about LJ was happy enough to sign him but then, for whatever reason, has failed to give him a real chance? Beyond baffling, as you rightly said earlier, but LJ not wanting him in the first place seems the most unlikely scenario given what he said.

Probably because you seem to purposely miss the point anytime you reply to me. If it's not deliberate then you must have an incredible knack for it. 

I can't see that I've tried to absolve anyone of anything. Just presenting a possible scenario, that given previous goings on at the club, is perfectly feasible.  

The fact that you think what a manager says in the media is 100% exactly what's going on is laughable. 

Then again Johnson could say 'the sky is blue' in the press and you'd argue that it was green, so a bit of a pointless conversation. 

Re the highlighted bit above, you can't possibly state that as fact. That's your opinion of how you think the deal came about, whether it transpires to be the case or not.

3 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Probably because you seem to purposely miss the point anytime you reply to me. If it's not deliberate then you must have an incredible knack for it. 

I can't see that I've tried to absolve anyone of anything. Just presenting a possible scenario, that given previous goings on at the club, is perfectly feasible.  

The fact that you think what a manager says in the media is 100% exactly what's going on is laughable. 

Then again Johnson could say 'the sky is blue' in the press and you'd argue that it was green, so a bit of a pointless conversation. 

Re the highlighted bit above, you can't possibly state that as fact. That's your opinion of how you think the deal came about, whether it transpires to be the case or not.

:dunno:I've simply replied to the points you've made in B&W.

Anyway, clearly best if I leave it there.

Archived