IGNORED

Engvall

GrahamC

5 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I can't say I blame him, having relocated to Bristol, he could have found himself in yet another new place alone for some time. There wasn't really anywhere to loan him that would have allowed to stay local and get used to living here.

Wasn't a problem for Taylor Moore, he managed to go to Bury without any issues. Ok, he's English but what should that matter? Arnold Gadita another example of a player who's come in, not had opportunities and got his head down to work for a chance.

Sorry but if you can't handle a short term loan to another club on a tiny island then you're in the wrong profession. These players are paid very handsomely and you have to question the desire of someone you bring in, then refusing a loan to get experience of English football  

My general point was that the comments like 'he's been treated badly' are purely speculation from people who dislike the manager.

There's clearly more to the situation than meets the eye and unless you were attending training and saw his attitude, ability etc. day in day out on the training pitch like the management team do, it's just guesswork isn't it?

3 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Wasn't a problem for Taylor Moore, he managed to go to Bury without any issues. Ok, he's English but what should that matter? Arnold Gadita another example of a player who's come in, not had opportunities and got his head down to work for a chance.

Sorry but if you can't handle a short term loan to another club on a tiny island then you're in the wrong profession. These players are paid very handsomely and you have to question the desire of someone you bring in, then refusing a loan to get experience of English football  

My general point was that the comments like 'he's been treated badly' are purely speculation from people who dislike the manager.

There's clearly more to the situation than meets the eye and unless you were attending training and saw his attitude, ability etc. day in day out on the training pitch like the management team do, it's just guesswork isn't it?

Yes. It's all guesswork here. Nobody really knows. 

Perhaps he turned down a loan because he wanted to stay and fight for a place in the team, only for Taylor to be brought in after and subsequently he accepted a loan back in Sweden. 

14 minutes ago, Chris_Brown said:

Yes. It's all guesswork here. Nobody really knows. 

Perhaps he turned down a loan because he wanted to stay and fight for a place in the team, only for Taylor to be brought in after and subsequently he accepted a loan back in Sweden. 

Completely possible, but when it gets to the stage that you're being offered out for loan to a lower league then I'd say it's fairly obvious you're not getting a chance here....

It's just so tedious to see the same old 'he's been badly treated/mismanaged' opinion (most often presented as if it were fact) when the reality is that unless you're Johnson, Engvall or someone else inside the club, with access to the training ground, you know just as much as anyone else about what's actually gone on - **** all! 

There are endless possibilities for the situation and to see the same one possibility persistently offered as fact by those with an axe to grind against the management is just tiresome! 

Ahhhhh, relax. 

10 minutes ago, bristolcitysweden said:

According to this article Engvall is not part of future plans and we are willing to loan him out to a Championship rival but Engvall would like to stay with Djurgarden

http://www.fotbolldirekt.se/2017/07/05/avslojar-bristol-nobbar-engvall-dif-stjarnan-ingar-inte-planer/    

It says that City want him go out to another team in our leauge on loan. Gustav says he wants to stay in Sweden.  Think the article is bollocks.

My feeling is, is that we expected him to play more football than he did last season, but when it became clear that Tammy was ... well Tammy, the initial idea went out the window. LJ saying that he wants us to come to Tenerife  sounds like the loan deal was to get him out playing football at a standard that befitted him and he could come back and fight for a starting/bench place with regular minutes this season. The plan he had when bought him. 

1 hour ago, Garland-sweden said:

It says that City want him go out to another team in our leauge on loan. Gustav says he wants to stay in Sweden.  Think the article is bollocks.

If he is below the pecking order of Diedhiou, Taylor, Djuric and Wilbs you can say for certain that no team in this league will want to loan him.  

On 04/07/2017 at 18:38, 1891 B.C. Sweden said:

I think he should have stayed in Sweden from the beginning and grow a little more hair on his marble sack before heading out for the big cash. I can't see him play for City this season. Sure he has scored goals in Sweden but he needs to take another step to cope with the tougher football in England. The best solution I think (and I just don't say this as a Djurgarden supporter) would be to extend the loan until the end of the Swedish season and then hope to sell him to a middle team in Holland or something.  If he continues to score goals in Sweden several clubs certainly will be interested in him.

Your right on the money mate-i think your correct in this will move/conclude in this way..

Not sure why some fans get so worked up about the Engvall situation, he was a gamble a bit like Kodjia was and Diedhiou is.

Sometimes these foreign players come over settle in and hit the ground running, sometimes it doesn't work out.

In Engvall's case it seems to be the latter, you could say we bought him from a small percentage of the Kodjia profit money. 

So although some will say it was poor business, we haven't really lost anything. 

Plus he clearly does have something about him to score goals in the Swedish top flight, but for whatever reason it's not worked out over here. 

Just now, Phileas Fogg said:

Isn't that just their interpretation of the story linked in this thread a days ago? The Swedish press haven't been totally reliable about Engvall. Don't think the Post have much exclusive info these days.

Wouldn't immediately see this as guaranteed truth personally.

The Post appear to have run with a story from the Swedish press, linked on here by @bristolcitysweden. They claim to have spoken with the paper in question, although not with the reporter himself, and been told that said reporter is a good bloke who knows a few people. That's the crux of The Post article. The days when they would have first-hand contact with the player themselves or a source at BCFC have sadly, long gone. 

Just now, Rudolf Hucker said:

The Post appear to have run with a story from the Swedish press, linked on here by @bristolcitysweden. They claim to have spoken with the paper in question, although not with the reporter himself, and been told that said reporter is a good bloke who knows a few people. That's the crux of The Post article. The days when they would have first-hand contact with the player themselves or a source at BCFC have sadly, long gone. 

The strange thing about that story is the potential for a loan to the Championship.

Surely that's not true, I don't think we've got a squad strong enough to loan players out to divisional rivals. Also, that would imply that he is good enough for this level after all.

It's little details like that which make me think this story has been lost in translation somewhat. 

17 minutes ago, cynic said:

It may be that he likes the idea of playing in England and the money that goes with it, but the reality of it may be too much for him.

Its all very well watching a player numerous times in his own country and him having a great personality etc etc(DNA)  but, as I've said previously, you really don't know what you have until you actually get the player here and see him in training. If you don't stand out in training, you don't get anywhere near the first team.

Exactly. 

Clear that there was a lot more to the scenario than just not getting picked because of some agenda. 

1 hour ago, Cider-Head23 said:

Not sure why some fans get so worked up about the Engvall situation, he was a gamble a bit like Kodjia was and Diedhiou is.

Sometimes these foreign players come over settle in and hit the ground running, sometimes it doesn't work out.

In Engvall's case it seems to be the latter, you could say we bought him from a small percentage of the Kodjia profit money. 

So although some will say it was poor business, we haven't really lost anything. 

Plus he clearly does have something about him to score goals in the Swedish top flight, but for whatever reason it's not worked out over here. 

We will win on this player . 

We paid a ' modest  fee ' for a young international forward ,even if it doesn't work out for both parties we can sell him on for all or most of what we paid and if we include à sell on in the contract we could do quite nicely if he continues to mature and knock in the goals in The Swedish league.

We just need to see if he joins up with the squad in Tenerife to end the speculation.

• Admin

I don't know if the point has been made yet but....

2015/16 Gustav scored 5 goals in 22 1st team games in Sweden.

Summer 2016 signs for City, trains with us but unfortunately doesn't get much game time.

2016/17 Gustav has 9 goals in 17 1st team games in Sweden.

Stats taken from transfermarkt.

He's clearly improving and I wouldn't want to write him off yet. 

On 04/07/2017 at 19:42, REDOXO said:

Engval has to show up as do many on a list earlier on this thread. 

If has ability it's   Up to him to show it.  I'm not LJs biggest fan, but I do have faith that the bloke knows if a player is any good or a contest winner. 

There will be others looking for starts up front next season that are on the books McCoulsky and DiGeralamo will be eying up a spot. 

McCoulsky & Geralamo are light years from making Championship standard..

I don't think the latter will ever get there.

I've been supportive of Johnson throughout the season but this is one thing I really dislike how it's been handled and played out. I really hope we aren't going to sell him this season without giving him a proper chance. I'll be honest in saying I've never seen him play but I've watched a lot of highlights and parts of games that he's been involved in and I've been impressed and would like to see him giving a run out.

I'd be incredibly disappointed if we sold him and not for the financial sense but because I believe we have a good player on our hands.

6 minutes ago, WRERE said:

I've been supportive of Johnson throughout the season but this is one thing I really dislike how it's been handled and played out. I really hope we aren't going to sell him this season without giving him a proper chance. I'll be honest in saying I've never seen him play but I've watched a lot of highlights and parts of games that he's been involved in and I've been impressed and would like to see him giving a run out.

I'd be incredibly disappointed if we sold him and not for the financial sense but because I believe we have a good player on our hands.

The management team watch him up close in training and have access to stats that we don't. I'd like to think they'd have a better grasp on who's ready to play and who isn't than you or I from watching a few highlights.

I agree in that I'd like to see him get a chance and hopefully he gets one this season.

7 minutes ago, WRERE said:

It could just be that , unfortunately, despite all our best efforts the lad just can't or won't settle over here .

It is not necessarily the club's fault .

17 minutes ago, Ian M said:

I don't know if the point has been made yet but....

2015/16 Gustav scored 5 goals in 22 1st team games in Sweden.

Summer 2016 signs for City, trains with us but unfortunately doesn't get much game time.

2016/17 Gustav has 9 goals in 17 1st team games in Sweden.

Stats taken from transfermarkt.

He's clearly improving and I wouldn't want to write him off yet. 

My concern is that his improvement is being made when he's in Sweden but not while  he's here. My feeling is that it was the move away from Sweden that has been the biggest issue, and that he's not been able to cope with it as well as we and he would have hoped. 

He appears to have enough ability, so I'm hoping that his loan spell back to Sweden and playing regularly will have restored his confidence and he will come back in a better frame of mind ( if that was an issue in the first place). 

• Admin
29 minutes ago, downendcity said:

My concern is that his improvement is being made when he's in Sweden but not while  he's here. My feeling is that it was the move away from Sweden that has been the biggest issue, and that he's not been able to cope with it as well as we and he would have hoped. 

He appears to have enough ability, so I'm hoping that his loan spell back to Sweden and playing regularly will have restored his confidence and he will come back in a better frame of mind ( if that was an issue in the first place). 

My point was that last Summer we were signing a player with a slightly worse record than 1 in 4 from the Swedish league, not particularly inspiring for even the greatest of optimists.

This Summer we are potentially welcoming a striker from the Swedish league with a better than 1 in 2 record in the same competitions. Slightly more inspiring and gives me hope that our coaching in between has had a positive effect on the lad  

3 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

We will win on this player . 

We paid a ' modest  fee ' for a young international forward ,even if it doesn't work out for both parties we can sell him on for all or most of what we paid and if we include à sell on in the contract we could do quite nicely if he continues to mature and knock in the goals in The Swedish league.

We just need to see if he joins up with the squad in Tenerife to end the speculation.

We paid £1.3m if the stories are to be believed and would probably get back £750 - 800k so a nett loss of around £500k. If we bought a player from say, the Belgian league for £500k and it didn`t work out we`d all be saying `ah well, these things happen, on to the next one`.

I do agree with @WRERE though, I would be more disappointed that we`d let a potentially decent player slip through our hands.

Time will tell I suppose.

2 hours ago, WRERE said:

With all due respect how do you know the 'situation' - whatever it is - isn't one of Engvall's making rather than Johnson's?

Not saying it's not a Johnson-made situation as it may well be, but theres any number of potential explanations for his lack of game time here, and poor management from our side is only one, but it seems to keep getting presented as fact that the fault with this whole scenario is BCFC (mis)management?

The one thing nobody has mentioned is that we signed him as an injured player. Think what Korey has said about being behind in pre season and how difficult it was. That's coming from a player experienced in the English game so it would have been even more difficult for GE.

I reckon a fit GE might just surprise a few of us IF his head's in the right place and he comes back. The lad's obviously got talent.

Archived