IGNORED

Tim Shires sacked?

BRISTOL86

42 minutes ago, bs20ciderarmy said:

And without Bristol sport we wouldn't have a redeveloped stadium and breaking transfer records for continuous years.

That is factually incorrect.

Planning permission was obtained to redevelop Ashton Gate as a 29,000 seat stadium way before the Ashton Vale folly, before Bristol Sport, and before the latest Ashton Gate redevelopment, and furthermore it was to be funded to a considerable extent by grants which were available at that time.

Who knows what may have happened had those plans been proceeded with.

I must be the only person on the forum who didn't have a clue who Tim Shires is. Possibly because I don't get into the ground early and therefore don't listen to much music or announcements, but probably because I sit in the Dolman. The PA system there is so distorted it could be Donald Duck doing the talking with music from a crystal set 

With any expanding business, brand or whatever you want to call this monster you will get new positions of managers, directors and supervisors who just want their own stamp on things and will chop and change for changes sake, it means their own mates or things they like or cost cutting targets put in place (which does in a lot of cases down grade the service) which just makes them look like they are doing something but making it worse, this i feel is another in a long line of examples i've seen over the years of just that..

For the record i like what Tim was doing and thought he was value for his job but as stated above no matter of a decent work ethic or talent if your face don't fit the suites and dresses ;) your a gone!!!..

Good luck in the future Tim.

1 hour ago, Dollymarie said:

Maybe we could cut out the personal abuse people?

The facts are that an employee of almost a decade has been told he is now surplus to requirements, with no good reason given as to why, and also without a proper fit for purpose replacement. Such a shame. 

I don't agree with the decision but I don't think we have to be told why the decision has been made.

1 hour ago, bs20ciderarmy said:

And without Bristol sport we wouldn't have a redeveloped stadium and breaking transfer records for continuous years.

I would say Steve Lansdown redeveloped stadium and signs off the cheques etc

PULA LTD Is higher up the food chain than Bristol sports but all Steve Lansdowns doing.

1 hour ago, lanceloto said:

No good reason? Do we know there isn't a replacement?

I'd guess that as they are to be running BCTV maybe they would have invested in some new "talent" and it might be cost effective to combine some roles.

I know if I were doing it, with the new screens at Ashton Gate. I'd make BCTV a "Live from Ashton Gate" matchday programme... Show the same on screens and tannoy as is being beamed online.

Tim says in his tweet that they are "making changes" that could be as good a reason as is needed.

There is a replacement, Downsy is doing the lot. On camera. :blink:

2 hours ago, bs20ciderarmy said:

"Thankyou for your reply dick head" couldn't really give two hoots if you think it's going to work, it's Steve and co that pay the wages so it's them that choose who they employ or sack.

Happy for you to disagree with me there mate. Personal insults aside, I'll explain why I think Downsy is a TERRIBLE choice to take on all the roles that he is slated to do so in Tim's absence, many of which have been mentioned time and time again on this forum. Perhaps even, if you look, on this very thread!

- He, by his own admission, knows or cares very little for football. 
- Unlike Tim's, his social media presence holds little to no interaction with any Bristol City fans (28 tweets mentioning the words 'Ashton Gate' & 42 tweets [that's less than 1 per game for last season alone] mentioning the club in 8 years) and is mostly his political views, promotion of his radio show, or generic retweets . I accept that he is entitled to these but even myself, as a no-mark in terms of fame, have to watch what I say in the risk of bringing my workplace into disrepute. "Oh Bore Off" directed at a well known public figure may not go down too well with the higher ups should it come to their attention. Especially if Bristol Sport realises the national reach that it intends to. 
- His horrendous 'banter' at half time, including continued attempts at getting the home crowd to cheer wildly for the visitors and announcing the attendances at "Ashton Gate Stadium" with the vigour of someone watching their team win the Champions League final.
- His Alan Partridge radio presenting style and awful taste in music from my (limited) exposure to Sam FM - something which could result in more booming bass coming through our already sterling PA system for the hour preceding the game. 
- Most of all, his insinuation that a young girl only attended the game to stare at the players legs. Something like that, regardless of workplace, would be unacceptable in any other walk of life and beggars belief how he got away with it. God only knows if he'll slip up again

For the record, I'm entirely on board with the Bristol Sport model. I think we (as a supporter base) owe Steve Lansdown more respect than he gets for continually choosing to back the club especially financially during his stewardship of BCFC. It makes a lot of business sense to amalgamate most of the teams, many of whom are neglected financially outside of the model, under an umbrella company. Not least of all their incredibly interesting approach to spotting youth talent before many of the big clubs that operate in this area poach them as the have been. 

2 hours ago, Dollymarie said:

There is a replacement, Downsy is doing the lot. On camera. :blink:

On camera is definitely the way to go with the live streaming happening etc. I'm sure there are better candidates though, preferably a presenter (not a dj) and a football person with media experience. They need to hire a decent live video editor and camera team most importantly. 

I'd be happiest with minimal music, at least as a trial to see if the crowd take it on and build an atmosphere. 

1 hour ago, lanceloto said:

On camera is definitely the way to go with the live streaming happening etc. I'm sure there are better candidates though, preferably a presenter (not a dj) and a football person with media experience. They need to hire a decent live video editor and camera team most importantly. 

I'd be happiest with minimal music, at least as a trial to see if the crowd take it on and build an atmosphere. 

A decent presenter would almost certainly charge more than the club would want to pay, likewise a competent vision mixer and 'decent' camera team, whereas for a local DJ any kind of on camera screen time is gold dust for his or her CV & showreel and he'll probably be doing it for an 'all in' day rate for which a decent pro, even non-broadcast, wouldn't even get out of bed.

Most clubs, ours included, are squeezed so dry by player's wages that match day live & pre-recorded screen content is run on piffling budgets and invariably looks a bit shit compared to live TV broadcasts. In fairness, our screen content isn't too awful, yet, but if Downsey is going to be the face of the 2017/18 season I think it will get a lot worse quite quickly, based on his god awful mic performances last season. 

Sometimes, things happen that are out of my hands and I start to question myself "is it something Ive done wrong". Today was one of them. But the messages Ive had from City fans has been amazing. Truly amazing.

I was just doing a job that I loved and although I cant do that anymore, I will always support the team on the pitch and I'll be up in the stands making myself heard as much as possible with all you lot!

Thank you to each and every one of you who has tweeted me or replied on here.

Changes happen in any work environment and City is no different. I have no hard feelings towards the club and hope that everyone gets behind Downsy.

I'd love to be back on the mic one day.... but in the meantime Im looking forward to getting behind the team from the stands and cant wait for the season to get started! COYR!

Archived