IGNORED

Tour De France thread

Lanterne Rouge

The world`s greatest sporting event starts today with Le Grand Depart in Dusseldorf at 2pm (Eurosport & ITV4 for live coverage)

Can Chris Froome win it for the fourth time in five years and get his third straight win? If he does, will he finally win SPOTY?

Can the mighty Cav get the four stage wins he needs to equal the great Eddie Merckx or, dare I say, beat it. Nine flat stages so he`ll never have a better chance.

Bring it on!

3 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

The world`s greatest sporting event starts today with Le Grand Depart in Dusseldorf at 2pm (Eurosport & ITV4 for live coverage)

Can Chris Froome win it for the fourth time in five years and get his third straight win? If he does, will he finally win SPOTY?

Can the mighty Cav get the four stage wins he needs to equal the great Eddie Merckx or, dare I say, beat it. Nine flat stages so he`ll never have a better chance.

Bring it on!

Can't wait as you rightly say bring it on.

1 minute ago, RedM said:

They were saying that the course doesn't favour Froome as much this year, seems they are fed up with his dominance and want yo even it out a bit. Go and do it Chris!

Yeah it is (relatively) flat and hardly any summit finishes so they`ve tried to restrict his strengths. Only one time trial too.

If he wins this year he will really have to work at it - it bodes well that Big G appears to be in great form though, that will help hugely.

He`s still the best in the race though but if he wins this year he can genuinely call himself one of the all time greats.

Found the bit yesterday about Sky and the Wiggins 'package' incident very revealing and incredibly suspicious, the defence was the sort of shit that a struggling defence solicitor makes up for somebody as guilty as sin, very difficult to swallow, sadly I do fear that one day in the future his tour win will be struck off of the record.

Also revealing was the interviews with Brailsford and Froome they were obviously tailored not to ask anymore questions about the incident but the interviewers did seem to catch Froome right off guard with the question about supplements used when recovering from injury, apparently the new rule is no injections, my god did Froomey look uncomfortable, shifty and unprepared to answer the question clearly about what he actually uses as supplements?, even Mrs Bung said "my god that was uncomfortable".

Really happy for Geraint Thomas, the loss of Valverde will be a huge blow to Quintana, I quite fancy Fuglsang as an outside bet.

9 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Found the bit yesterday about Sky and the Wiggins 'package' incident very revealing and incredibly suspicious, the defence was the sort of shit that a struggling defence solicitor makes up for somebody as guilty as sin, very difficult to swallow, sadly I do fear that one day in the future his tour win will be struck off of the record.

My thoughts also and it couldn't happen to a bigger knob.

Meanwhile I shall continue my day with my €1.70 bottle of champagne and some lovely stinky cheese.

Vive le France !!

2 minutes ago, BigTone said:

My thoughts also and it couldn't happen to a bigger knob.

Meanwhile I shall continue my day with my €1.70 bottle of champagne and some lovely stinky cheese.

Vive le France !!

I have just had a dozen oysters that my neighbour gave me and washing it down with a mug of rosé or pink wine as I like to call it.

My only sadness is le tour is nowhere near us this year and I love my days on the route, maybe next year??????.

Just now, Esmond Million's Bung said:

I have just had a dozen oysters that my neighbour gave me and washing it down with a mug of rosé or pink wine as I like to call it.

My only sadness is le tour is nowhere near us this year and I love my days on the route, maybe next year??????.

Es, why is it the French are so generous ? I have been given enough bags of veg to feed an army plus half a dozen bottles of homemade hooch to keep the colds and flu at bay. I just love the place and the people.

And I was not completely honest about my €1.70 bottle of champers ...................... I actually bought 2 !!

14 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Es, why is it the French are so generous ? I have been given enough bags of veg to feed an army plus half a dozen bottles of homemade hooch to keep the colds and flu at bay. I just love the place and the people.

And I was not completely honest about my €1.70 bottle of champers ...................... I actually bought 2 !!

Sadly the gesture from my next door neighbours is usually the prelude to a major favour and I think that I know what that favour is likely to be and they are destined to be disappointed.

However my next door neighbours are not representative of most French people thank god, we get on ok but sometimes it is a struggle, we certainly don't trust them but as they found out 5 years ago, piss me off at your peril.

The local old cider makers who come every year to pick our apples are lovely gentle and generous people and even at their age they are always larking about, seeing them is one of the highlights of the year and always plenty of cider as my reward for the apples that they describe as the best in the area.

19 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Sadly the gesture from my next door neighbours is usually the prelude to a major favour and I think that I know what that favour is likely to be and they are destined to be disappointed.

However my next door neighbours are not representative of most French people thank god, we get on ok but sometimes it is a struggle, we certainly don't trust them but as they found out 5 years ago, piss me off at your peril.

The local old cider makers who come every year to pick our apples are lovely gentle and generous people and even at their age they are always larking about, seeing them is one of the highlights of the year and always plenty of cider as my reward for the apples that they describe as the best in the area.

Just a pity French cider is generally shite in my opinion.

If you see a wine called Vilneau then try a bottle. It is made by my mate Roland up the road and is really good hooch at around €4.50 a bottle. If not PM me your address and I'll stick a bottle in the mail.

18 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Just a pity French cider is generally shite in my opinion.

If you see a wine called Vilneau then try a bottle. It is made by my mate Roland up the road and is really good hooch at around €4.50 a bottle. If not PM me your address and I'll stick a bottle in the mail.

Reference French cider, Brittany and Normandy produce the best cider, so I don't have a problem with it, in fact I love it and it's cheap, our problem is there is no real wine growing in Brittany or Normandy, the closest is the Loire valley quite some distance away.

2 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Reference French cider, Brittany and Normandy produce the best cider, so I don't have a problem with it, in fact I love it and it's cheap, our problem is there is no real wine growing in Brittany or Normandy, the closest is the Loire valley quite some distance away.

I understand.  Where I am in the Charente it is more wine / pineau / cognac and not really cidre.

Just now, BigTone said:

Just turned the Tour de France back on. Why is it they insist on using the whole road, ride 2 abreast and ignore cycle lanes ? :disapointed2se:

Because they want to replicate exactly the experience most of us have with cyclists on a daily basis.

Apparently today`s finish is through a busy pedestrian precinct at high speed and ends with 100 yards of riding on the pavement.

2 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Because they want to replicate exactly the experience most of us have with cyclists on a daily basis.

Apparently today`s finish is through a busy pedestrian precinct at high speed and ends with 100 yards of riding on the pavement.

I should have guessed.

True story ..... a few months ago I was walking along a one way street in Camden. A lady came out of a shop, looked down the road to see if it was clear and proceeded to cross. A cyclist came belting down the road in the wrong direction and completely creamed her to the point of an Ambulance and Police being called. He could not understand what he had done wrong and proceeded to try and leave the scene. No way sunshine you are staying right here either by choice or by force. He opted for the former !!

Bunch finish today won by Marcel Kittel. Cav finished fourth, just left his drive to the line a fraction too late I think. Chris F finished in the pelaton after a crash 30k out but is OK. Geraint still in yellow for tomorrow.

Shout out to Ben Swift another English rider who finished 7th.

7 hours ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Respect to the ITV4 presentation team, it must be difficult to talk informatively for 6 hours waiting for the main action to happen, brilliant job imo.

Totally agree Es. I like the Eurosport coverage too but ITV4 are top notch. I don't often praise ITV but credit where it's due.

3 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

Bunch finish today won by Marcel Kittel. Cav finished fourth, just left his drive to the line a fraction too late I think. Chris F finished in the pelaton after a crash 30k out but is OK. Geraint still in yellow for tomorrow.

Shout out to Ben Swift another English rider who finished 7th.

Geraint went down in the crash as well.

it was a messy bunch sprint but Cav did better than expected.

8 hours ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Respect to the ITV4 presentation team, it must be difficult to talk informatively for 6 hours waiting for the main action to happen, brilliant job imo.

I tend to flick between ITV and EuroSport. I don't really have a preference.

Archived