IGNORED

Wimbledon

JBFC II

Andy Murray kicks it off on centre today, despite his recent lack of form he still has to be seen as one of the favourites although my money is on a Rafa Nadal v Federer final with Nadal winning it

In the womens I'd have to go with Petra Kvitova although Venus and Konta could win it

45 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Andy Murray kicks it off on centre today, despite his recent lack of form he still has to be seen as one of the favourites although my money is on a Rafa Nadal v Federer final with Nadal winning it

In the womens I'd have to go with Petra Kvitova although Venus and Konta could win it

Think the women's draw is wide open without Serena. The winner from the men's will come from the big 4. I think Nadal as well.

Murray and Djokovic both 6/1 with Skybet is very tempting.  Both have patchy form but are good enough to win it. 

Nadal no chance.  Federer is the one to beat but he is old now.  Cilic has a chance.

In the Womens, I cannot see Konta doing it at all.  Pliskova has a good chance as does Kerber.

44 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Murray and Djokovic both 6/1 with Skybet is very tempting.  Both have patchy form but are good enough to win it. 

Nadal no chance.  Federer is the one to beat but he is old now.  Cilic has a chance.

In the Womens, I cannot see Konta doing it at all.  Pliskova has a good chance as does Kerber.

Don't see how you rule out Nadal after winning in Paris.  Different surface yes but it proves he has the form and fitness, and he's won on the grass twice before.  Unlikely maybe but hardly no chance.

Absolutely agree those 6/1 odds are tempting though!

Love Wimbledon fortnight, a great tennis match is up there with the very best sport in the world in my humble opinion.

17 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Don't see how you rule out Nadal after winning in Paris.  Different surface yes but it proves he has the form and fitness, and he's won on the grass twice before.  Unlikely maybe but hardly no chance.

Absolutely agree those 6/1 odds are tempting though!

Love Wimbledon fortnight, a great tennis match is up there with the very best sport in the world in my humble opinion.

He won when he was much younger and his knees weren't screwed. Can't see him getting down to the low balls for two weeks straight.  Hope he proves me wrong as would love to see him win it again 

1 hour ago, RedDave said:

Nadal can definitely win it imo, just depends on his fitness for 2 weeks, Konta has a decent draw up until the semi's and then it's anyone's title really

2 hours ago, RedDave said:

He won when he was much younger and his knees weren't screwed. Can't see him getting down to the low balls for two weeks straight.  Hope he proves me wrong as would love to see him win it again 

Did you watch him in the French blow Wawrinka away? Looked as good as he's ever been before. The knees appear to be just fine for the time being.

Murray may be out of the running if this injury is as bad as his body language suggests - though of course you never know with him.

Djok still badly out-of-form.

King Roger the man to beat for me.

F Lopez an outside bet, looked good at Queens.

36 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Did you watch him in the French blow Wawrinka away? Looked as good as he's ever been before. The knees appear to be just fine for the time being.

Murray may be out of the running if this injury is as bad as his body language suggests - though of course you never know with him.

Nadal's knees always much better on clay than grass.  We will see I guess.

1 hour ago, Super said:

Looks like Stan is on his way out. Medvedev playing some great stuff.

Grass has never been Stans favourite surface and with a bad knee it isn't as great an upset as it looks on paper, cracking win for Medvedev though

8 hours ago, Maesknoll Red said:

Athletics and tennis, two sports I wouldn't shed a tear for if they passed away tomorrow, never to be resurrected.........

Would be boring if we all liked the same thing. I would say the same about the Tour De France and cycling.

• Admin

Two sicknotes on Centre Court today, speculation that the appearance money is so high (£35K) for some of those in the first round, they can't afford to withdraw - making a mockery of it.  Apparently other tournaments allow players to pull out shortly beforehand and keep the appearance money, stopping injured players playing.  A lucky loser goes in and keeps any prize money, so a win win on all accounts.

20 hours ago, Maesknoll Red said:

Athletics and tennis, two sports I wouldn't shed a tear for if they passed away tomorrow, never to be resurrected.........

22 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

Two sicknotes on Centre Court today, speculation that the appearance money is so high (£35K) for some of those in the first round, they can't afford to withdraw - making a mockery of it.  Apparently other tournaments allow players to pull out shortly beforehand and keep the appearance money, stopping injured players playing.  A lucky loser goes in and keeps any prize money, so a win win on all accounts.

:blink:

On 03/07/2017 at 15:46, Kid in the Riot said:

He's won 100 of 102 games on clay. 79-2 in French Open. You simply cannot compare his clay form with anything else, it doesn't carry over. He is just a freak of nature on clay. The way you can slide on clay and take pressure off of your knees is much different to the grass court. Grass probably his least favourite surface. Failed to break out of 2nd round in 4 of last 5 years (missed 2016 though)

10 minutes ago, EmersonsRed said:

He's won 100 of 102 games on clay. 79-2 in French Open. You simply cannot compare his clay form with anything else, it doesn't carry over. He is just a freak of nature on clay. The way you can slide on clay and take pressure off of your knees is much different to the grass court. Grass probably his least favourite surface. Failed to break out of 2nd round in 4 of last 5 years (missed 2016 though)

With respect mate - I know what Nadal's record on clay is. In fact I've seen him on the stuff at Roland Garros. The subtlety of my point is that in my opinion he looked as good as he ever has done before. For that reason, coupled with issues for some of the other "big 4" I don't think he can be so easily discounted.

Just now, Kid in the Riot said:

With respect mate - I know what Nadal's record on clay is. In fact I've seen him on the stuff at Roland Garros. The subtlety of my point is that in my opinion he looked as good as he ever has done before. For that reason, coupled with issues for some of the other "big 4" I don't think he can be so easily discounted.

I wasn't belittling you or making out that you didn't, apologies if came across that way - but I was trying to make the point that it doesn't matter if he looks the best he's ever played, it rarely carries over to Wimbledon! He's just very special on clay as you'd have seen, which I'm very jealous of.

I'd love him to win Wimbledon again. Great sporting legend.

1 hour ago, EmersonsRed said:

I wasn't belittling you or making out that you didn't, apologies if came across that way - but I was trying to make the point that it doesn't matter if he looks the best he's ever played, it rarely carries over to Wimbledon! He's just very special on clay as you'd have seen, which I'm very jealous of.

I think the simple point I was making about Nadal was that it would be silly to entirely discount a fit and in-form player who has won Wimbledon twice before, irrespective of the surface.

2 hours ago, EmersonsRed said:

Fair enough. Yes, it was a good (bloody hot mind) day on Phillipe Chartier as Rafa was followed by King Roger! 

I saw Murray for the first time live last year at the Davis Cup in Glasgow v the Argies. What a player he is, any other era he'd of had at least half a dozen Slams I reckon. Such a solid game.

Fair pay Johanna Konta yesterday, showed a lot of grit to come through that against a tough opponent, good win for Bedene as well and Heather Watson looks on fire, to tear a seed to shreds like that is seriously impressive.

Kyle Edmund v Monfils is going to be a cracker today imo can see 5 sets if edmund brings his a game

Archived