IGNORED

Cladding

extonsred

The Sports Ground Safety Authority have already written to clubs advising them to review any cladding.

SGSA say: ""Sports grounds generally contain no sleeping risk, benefit from high levels of vigilance when in use and are often fitted with active and passive fire detection systems to help mitigate any fire risk. This does not suggest that there is no risk but these measures significantly mitigate the risk."

SGSA chief inspector Ken Scott said: "As a precaution we are writing to sports grounds to advise them to check any cladding and review their fire risk assessments if necessary. We don't want to cause alarm or add additional burden to sports grounds, but it is important that sports ground management are being proactive and are never complacent about people's safety."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40458953

The seemingly innocuous term of 'cladding' will become one of the most used words of the year in this country, thanks to the disaster at Grenfell. Boggles the mind how the construction industry can get away with wrapping buildings and residences in substances that not only catch fire, but spread it rapidly. I'm going to stop talking about it now as it's a football forum and I could ramble on for days about Grenfell

2 minutes ago, Newquay-Red said:

The seemingly innocuous term of 'cladding' will become one of the most used words of the year in this country, thanks to the disaster at Grenfell. Boggles the mind how the construction industry can get away with wrapping buildings and residences in substances that not only catch fire, but spread it rapidly. I'm going to stop talking about it now as it's a football forum and I could ramble on for days about Grenfell

If the correct fire retardant cladding was used at grenfell then we wouldn't be having these discussions and 80+ people wouldn't be dead,

its only correct that the club look into this 

I thought buildings and offices weren't being looked at unless they were over four stories high, obviously most football grounds are less than this. I guess lower than this the fire ladder can reach and its surviveable if you jump. Unlike flats they aren't enclosed in the same way as there is the pitch to evacuate safely onto. Although much is plastic in stadiums now there is still a lot of concrete which doesn't catch fire. I think we are safer at a football match in that respect than a lot of other buildings.

2 minutes ago, RedM said:

I thought buildings and offices weren't being looked at unless they were over four stories high, obviously most football grounds are less than this. I guess lower than this the fire ladder can reach and its surviveable if you jump. Unlike flats they aren't enclosed in the same way as there is the pitch to evacuate safely onto. Although much is plastic in stadiums now there is still a lot of concrete which doesn't catch fire. I think we are safer at a football match in that respect than a lot of other buildings.

The Lansdown is a lot more than 4 stories isn't it? I would hope it doesn't need to be checked but you can never be too sure I guess.

A bit of a non issue really. People are only in football grounds whilst awake and surrounded by a safety team & procedure. 

You cant compare the 2 venues. One had residents asleep and only one exit, no worthwhile evacuation procedure and people in highly flammable surroundings. 

A football ground would be empty before any fire on cladding could reach inhabitants. 

7 hours ago, View from the Dolman said:

The Sports Ground Safety Authority have already written to clubs advising them to review any cladding.

SGSA say: ""Sports grounds generally contain no sleeping risk, benefit from high levels of vigilance when in use and are often fitted with active and passive fire detection systems to help mitigate any fire risk. This does not suggest that there is no risk but these measures significantly mitigate the risk."

SGSA chief inspector Ken Scott said: "As a precaution we are writing to sports grounds to advise them to check any cladding and review their fire risk assessments if necessary. We don't want to cause alarm or add additional burden to sports grounds, but it is important that sports ground management are being proactive and are never complacent about people's safety."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40458953

Obviously never watched a SOD team.

10 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Do they have cladding at the mem or just canvas.  Isnt canvas flamable?

They've banned wristwatches from the Mem as a precaution, should the sunlight reflect off one on to the top of the tent, the results could be catastrophic.

You would hope being a new build with no real expense spared that the spec for the Lansdown Stand and South Stand is above any unacceptable standard.

The only stand at the Gate I can think may need a review is the Atyeo as even though it is lowest probably does not have the materials and safety controls of the other recently rebuilt / refurbished stands.

15 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

A bit of a non issue really. People are only in football grounds whilst awake and surrounded by a safety team & procedure. 

You cant compare the 2 venues. One had residents asleep and only one exit, no worthwhile evacuation procedure and people in highly flammable surroundings. 

A football ground would be empty before any fire on cladding could reach inhabitants. 

Bradford?

I know that was wood not cladding...but still.

44 minutes ago, Neo said:

You would hope being a new build with no real expense spared that the spec for the Lansdown Stand and South Stand is above any unacceptable standard.

The only stand at the Gate I can think may need a review is the Atyeo as even though it is lowest probably does not have the materials and safety controls of the other recently rebuilt / refurbished stands.

Isn't the Atyeo made up of corrugated metal, bricks and blockwork rather than cladding?

Grenfall was a terrible disaster, it goes without saying but there are good and bad panel systems.  Most modern football stadiums will be single skin decking, twin decking insulated with non-flammable Rockwool or fibreglass, or insulated composite panels with fire retardant PIR cores.  Some older stadiums including refurbished stadiums could have flammable polyurethane core panels but that's going back a while.

3 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Football stadiums are nothing like they were then. 

There are a few old wooden stands left - Exeter for instance although that is coming down soon - but they are so strictly policed now that I doubt anything like the horrors of Bradford could ever happen again.

To illustrate, last season some knob let off a flare in Exeter`s and it was evacuated in a matter of minutes. Devon & Cornwall Fire Service actually congratulated the club on how well their emergency action plan worked.

27 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

There are a few old wooden stands left - Exeter for instance although that is coming down soon - but they are so strictly policed now that I doubt anything like the horrors of Bradford could ever happen again.

To illustrate, last season some knob let off a flare in Exeter`s and it was evacuated in a matter of minutes. Devon & Cornwall Fire Service actually congratulated the club on how well their emergency action plan worked.

Kind of exactly my original point. Football stadiums, when occupied have procedures, safety teams etc in place. Cladding won't really be an issue. Certainly nothing like on a block of high rise flats, with only one exit. 

43 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

What a complete and utter **** witt.

Just now, Pezo said:

What a complete and utter **** witt.

Yep. They were home to Carlisle and the game was held up for an hour so all their fans would have missed trains etc. and those who drove, God knows what time they would have got home.

All just a bit of fun though according to some.:facepalm:

23 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Yep. They were home to Carlisle and the game was held up for an hour so all their fans would have missed trains etc. and those who drove, God knows what time they would have got home.

About an hour later than if it hadn't happened..?

Archived