IGNORED

Teflon Lee

Top Robin

34 minutes ago, Mtimmy11 said:

He was in charge of our longest losing run.dismantled a promotion squad and signed 19 average players. Over half our fans don't want him.Even if we went down we were told to like it or lump it by lansdown ,I think he's here for a while yet.

that same promotion winning squad that had us 5 points a drift at the bottom of the championship looking dead and burried and got cotts the sack, which lee then came in and saved us...........twice (once of his own making)

45 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

I'm no fan of LJ, but it's a but early to talk about when he's going to get sacked. The season hasn't even started yet, so give him the benefit of the doubt for a bit. If we talk about sacking him in July, it will be uproar if we actually lose a match in August 

Unfortunately, for some on here it's never to early to talk about when LJ is going to be sacked.

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

None of us have a crystal ball so we have no idea how next season will go but if otib is known for anything it's known for the wild speculation based on guesswork we see on here.

This time every year I'm cautiously optimistic about the upcoming campaign and I'm exactly the same again.

Im hoping (again) for a decent season with a chance of the pray-offs come the last 15 games or so.

and I dream of finding Kylie Minogue AND Dolly naked in my Xmas stocking

38 minutes ago, Mtimmy11 said:

He was in charge of our longest losing run.dismantled a promotion squad and signed 19 average players. Over half our fans don't want him.Even if we went down we were told to like it or lump it by lansdown ,I think he's here for a while yet.

You do realise that a League One promotion squad does not equate to a Championship promotion squad don't you?

1 hour ago, glos old boy said:

We start the new season with 3 strikers who have little to no exp in this division and another couple who might not come back at all and one of them is also very light on championship football. I wont mention the goalkeeper situation but another would be good.

So Lee will need to find his dream team a bit quicker than last season for us to make a better impression.

Cant see even relegation shifting him though; so we go with what we have until SL fancies a change.

It is utter nonsense to suggest that he would still be here if we were to be relegated.

36 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Where's the evidence that over half our fans don't want him. I hope nobody is going to refer to any poll conducted by the Post which is derided at every turn on the forum. 

The more than half that don't want him clearly didn't turn up at Burnley, Newcastle or Brighton or amongst the 20k  crowds cheering to the rafters at the Gate. 

I don't necessarily agree with the claim but assuming attendance equates to support for the manager is a pretty weak argument to say the least.

46 minutes ago, Mtimmy11 said:

This 'dismantling' then..

Sold Derrick Williams to Blackburn, where he got relegated and clearly hasn't set the world alight. Looks like he'll be a League 1 defender this season.

Sold Kieran Agard to MK Dons, where he has an average (at best) scoring record, and finished 12th in League 1. Again, League 1 player this season.

Sold Luke Freeman to QPR. Seems like he has performed okay there. I think most would agree he didn't really make the step up to Championship standard while he was with us. Personally I don't think we miss him at all.

Sold Luke Ayling to Leeds. This, in hindsight, could well be seen as a bad deal. Has done well at Leeds and could've been very useful as a RB this season, with Matthews a clear dud.

Released Osbourne, El-Abd and Wagstaff. All dropped divisions to find a club, none of them in the Championship since.

So, 6/8 playing in a division below, which appear to have found their level. A division or two below the current squad. So I'm not sure your point is valid at all.

This is one of the most bizarre threads I've seen in a while.

The facts are that we have signed two players - one of whom seems an upgrade on paper (Pisano), one of whom will be doing well to replace his predecessor but seemed a signing that we couldn't pull off so we have to be optimistic.

We've stated we want one or two more quality players rather than buffering the squad. That seems sensible as it allows younger players who have shown promise like COD & Brownhill more opportunity. If you believe the grapevine, that's upgrades in midfield & in goal.

We ended the season in good form. I'm not a LJ total defender, but I think when he stopped tinkering then things worked. The quality addition front rather than major surgery has to be sensible.

Theres slating of Taylor here who was key to our good form at the end of the season. Could he have scored more? Yep - but he contributed in spades.

This comes down to two things - do you think LJ has learnt from last season, and do you think with the right two additions we can markedly improve on last year. For me, it's yes to both (I hope).

But after the end to the season, and without seeing who he signs and the impact in the first part of next year, hash tags of Johnson out just seem a bit silly.

12 minutes ago, Distortia said:

Sold Derrick Williams to Blackburn, where he got relegated and clearly hasn't set the world alight. Looks like he'll be a League 1 defender this season.

Sold Kieran Agard to MK Dons, where he has an average (at best) scoring record, and finished 12th in League 1. Again, League 1 player this season.

Sold Luke Freeman to QPR. Seems like he has performed okay there. I think most would agree he didn't really make the step up to Championship standard while he was with us. Personally I don't think we miss him at all.

Sold Luke Ayling to Leeds. This, in hindsight, could well be seen as a bad deal. Has done well at Leeds and could've been very useful as a RB this season, with Matthews a clear dud.

Released Osbourne, El-Abd and Wagstaff. All dropped divisions to find a club, none of them in the Championship since.

So, 6/8 playing in a division below, which appear to have found their level. A division or two below the current squad. So I'm not sure your point is valid at all.

I would say that all of them were either inconsistent or poor for us. The two stand out ones, Freeman and Ayling, had the odd decent game but plenty of poor ones.

I know it's along shot but say the gas were in the top 6of the championship and we are plodding along like we are,do your think we would still happy clapping little lee after anouther lack luster performance.I dont like to say it but I think the gas in the same league as us might get us going for it.little Lee's target this season don't forget is to finish halfway with a owner only worth 1.4billion

5 minutes ago, Mtimmy11 said:

I know it's along shot but say the gas were in the top 6of the championship and we are plodding along like we are,do your think we would still happy clapping little lee after anouther lack luster performance.I dont like to say it but I think the gas in the same league as us might get us going for it.little Lee's target this season don't forget is to finish halfway with a owner only worth 1.4billion

You are clearly deluded!

You should want bcfc to do well whoever is in charge?

You seem to want LJ to be in charge just to watch him fail.

Very odd, maybe just stay away.

3 minutes ago, Mtimmy11 said:

There may be a case to be made on both sides but I'm afraid as soon as someone resorts to childish phrases like 'Little Lee' any case they might have is fatally undermined.

Likewise if they start using terms like 'moaner' and 'happy clapper' in place of reasoned argument.

Perhaps we should save any debate until we've actually played some games?

22 minutes ago, Top Robin said:

I would say that all of them were either inconsistent or poor for us. The two stand out ones, Freeman and Ayling, had the odd decent game but plenty of poor ones.

Agreed. I didn't oppose to any of the sales listed. Ayling could've done a decent job, but that's more in hindsight than anything else. At the time I was happy for him to leave.

1 minute ago, Distortia said:

Agreed. I didn't oppose to any of the sales listed. Ayling could've done a decent job, but that's more in hindsight than anything else. At the time I was happy for him to leave.

Yeah in hindsight Ayling may be a mistake, but at the time he was let go we were assuming that Matthews would be a good signing as opposed to the disinterested wage thief that he ended up being. Then Little spending a fair bit of time out injured didn't help either. 

Besides, I suspect Ayling's days were numbered regardless after the Cheltenham incident. 

2 hours ago, Spoons said:

Cheer up mate! We've just spent £5.3 million on a striker and smashed our transfer record! 

Signed a old school itlian full back and will Probaly add a few more to the already promising squad! 

Fingers crossed we can start the season how we finished the last 15 games!

but get the feeling some want us to fail? Not sure why.

Stop speaking sense.

36 minutes ago, Mtimmy11 said:

Conveniently ignoring the well constructed arguments against your claims of "dismantling" the promotion squad I see.

I didn't see much "happy clapping" when we were at our lowest ebb last year. As for "another lacklustre performance", could it be that you might just be focussing on the mid part of the season and ignoring the rest, most notably our strong finish?

In short; utter drivel.

Tip: avoiding phrases like "Little Lee" might give you a better chance of being taken seriously.

1 hour ago, Monkeh said:

that same promotion winning squad that had us 5 points a drift at the bottom of the championship looking dead and burried and got cotts the sack, which lee then came in and saved us...........twice (once of his own making)

Are you claiming that we were '5 points adrift and bottom of Championship' when LJ was appointed?

It is clear that Lansdown will be looking to see progression from both the team and the coaching/management side in the first few months of the new season. A section of fans including myself could see the benefit of sticking by a young and relatively inexperienced manager. He was still finding his feet and was an elemental part of the wider project, and thus was given extra slack when others wanted the noose tightened. As the big money is being spent and the time ticks away, you have to feel that he has used up his only 'get out of jail card' and that a return to the bottom reaches of the table will cost him dear.

But I don't expect us to be there, i think we will be a tougher more experienced outfit, able to grind out results when perhaps last season we would have let it slip. Younger players who are that much more wiser and stronger, less fragile when things don't go right. Backed by a manager who understands he has to do the basics right before he can think about playing the maestro. 

We know that there were discussions about his position at board level last season, Lansdown said as much, which he didn't have to. And even if he hadn't, you'd have to be very naive to think it wasn't talked about despite the repeated public backing of LJ by the owner.

That's why I don't buy the "he'll be here even if we go down" mantra.

2 hours ago, Distortia said:

Just wanted to add that Derrick Williams was voted Blackburn Player of the Year.

Ayling was a bad transfer, irrespective of hindsight.  Underrated.

---------------------

Re LJ, I'm still to be convinced, but I'm sat here in the first week of July, quite happy with our early transfer business.  Most if not all of us saw RB and CF as priority positions and we've brought in two 'starters', not ones for the future or squad players (imho).

I think there will be 1 more 'starter' (possibly 2) to come, but also equal going the other way.  The clamour for another Prem loan I'm not convinced about.  I think the demands about playing time may work against us.  City and Chelsea got lucky with Tammy to some extent.  I'll caveat this by saying that if someone like a Bryan left, then you could see a young left back coming on loan.

Lee has said he's happy with his squad, and I actually believe him...not that he won't want it to be stronger, but only if the right player is available at the right money.

I actually see this year's division being a bit tighter all around.  I don't see Villa, Sunderland, Boro etc, doing a Brighton / Newcastle who after 10 games rarely came under much pressure for auto promotion all season.  I'm quite interested to see how Bolton, Sheffield Utd and Millwall do.  This year in particular I'd be very disappointed if any of them finish above us.  2 years on, we really should be better placed to do better than these promoted clubs.

He has used up all of his lives and some of some other managers as well i think. Bottom 4 or 5 after 10 / 12 games this coming season and surely he has to go. That said im crossing everything that this time around we can finally achieve the holly grail i.e. mid table championship obscurity :fingerscrossed::fear:

2 hours ago, Monkeh said:

We were 22nd, third bottom, two points adrift of fourth bottom MK Dons after losing to Preston (and Cotts was sacked.

2 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I'm not certain if you're joking or not. I'll assume you're not and point out that a squad largely unchanged from the promotion side was 23rd when LJ arrived.

We were 20th, fifth bottom, 3 points clear, after winning at Charlton, when LJ arrived. He took up his role from that day onwards.

We were bad under Cotts, but not quite as bad (in terms of points, placing, and "adriftness") or as "gone" as some people now imagine.

Archived