IGNORED

Alex Neil to manage Preston

Major Isewater

I hope he does terribly. We need some teams to start dropping and Preston, rather infuriatingly, have done very well so far on a small budget. Nothing tops off a bad City season in the Championship quite like being beaten by PNE. If we want to put distance between us and the relegation spots in order to go midtable we need some upper midtable teams to decline- not necessarily into relegation spots themselves but rather in the region of 16th-19th

Think he's a good fit for us. Got him for free as well after receiving 750k for Grayson and Snodin! He should've learned from last season at Norwich and be even more motivated to succeed.

Also, he's more of a two hit wonder given how well he did at Hamilton.

Amazingly until this appointment no club in the top two divisions currently had a Scottish manager.

I think this must have been the first time in very many years that that had happened.

45 minutes ago, pnefcok said:

Think he's a good fit for us. Got him for free as well after receiving 750k for Grayson and Snodin! He should've learned from last season at Norwich and be even more motivated to succeed.

Also, he's more of a two hit wonder given how well he did at Hamilton.

I hope it works out for you. I find him a bit dour but he has a track record and that's what counts.

Do you like us have fans demanding a 'big name' and if so do they regard Neil as one?

2 hours ago, chinapig said:

I hope it works out for you. I find him a bit dour but he has a track record and that's what counts.

Do you like us have fans demanding a 'big name' and if so do they regard Neil as one?

It was between him and Rosler and most fans, although rating Rosler, preferred Neil, as did the club.

A small minority wanted a name like Giggs or Gerrard (both applied) but how it's ambitious to appoint someone with very little experience I'm not quite sure.

Just now, pnefcok said:

It was between him and Rosler and most fans, although rating Rosler, preferred Neil, as did the club.

A small minority wanted a name like Giggs or Gerrard (both applied) but how it's ambitious to appoint someone with very little experience I'm not quite sure.

How do you think you will get on next season. Any new players. As for your manager doesn't look a bad replacement. I liked Grayson seemed an honest sort 

1 hour ago, pnefcok said:

A small minority wanted a name like Giggs or Gerrard (both applied) but how it's ambitious to appoint someone with very little experience I'm not quite sure.

.....yeh, what sort of ambitious club in this div would appoint someone with zero championship experience?! Hmmm...

I think he'll do ok. As others have said, with Norwich he was expected to achieve, and whilst Preston will obviously want the same, it won't be on as big a scale. I see Preston finishing mid tableish.

Grayson is the one that will struggle I think. It wouldn't surprise me if Sunderland did a Bolton over the next couple of years. Just a gut feeling.

This has got me thinking about the unlikely situation of US looking for a manager, coach wtf in the future. unlikely seeing as SL seems hell bent on sticking with Lee come rain or shine. IF Lee has to go next season, I'm wondering what the next approach is going to be. Tried and tested or another the "I believe this guy is the future" sort.

All very interesting mnnn

1 hour ago, AppyDAZE said:

This has got me thinking about the unlikely situation of US looking for a manager, coach wtf in the future. unlikely seeing as SL seems hell bent on sticking with Lee come rain or shine. IF Lee has to go next season, I'm wondering what the next approach is going to be. Tried and tested or another the "I believe this guy is the future" sort.

I think it will be "tried and tested" approach although last time that happened the guy bottled it after two games and started our decline.

I dont think any of us expect to get promoted this season or next but if we were to finish say top half or playoff contenders at least we can see some sort of progression. With four playoff spots available each season I would expect us to be challenging at least for the playoffs within the next few seasons, 12 spots surely one of them can be ours?!?

1 hour ago, AppyDAZE said:

I really hope we get off to a good start, stay in the driving seat and generate enough points to reach safety at an earlier stage i.e. not flirt with relegation again.  The "Johnson Out" weeks/months were depressing to say the least, really don't what that cropping up again even though it was perfectly justifiable for us to moan and I was in that camp.

IF it was to happen however, I think SL could look overseas, just can't see him trusting now someone with baggage from other clubs i.e. they've all been sacked from somewhere, will want to tinker around with coaching staff at considerable cost and all will want too much of a "say"

Manager of Angers, Stephane Moulin, perhaps ?  Seems a stable individual and came up through the ranks.

Still, let's hope for stability and beating Villa in the play-off final or even better !!

8 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Amazingly until this appointment no club in the top two divisions currently had a Scottish manager.

I think this must have been the first time in very many years that that had happened.

That is a surprising footnote; probably the day Ferguson arrived at Man Utd so around 1984?

9 hours ago, AppyDAZE said:

If the worst 'appens its fairly certain we won't be going for "proven" with a track record at this level....would be another 'malleable choice.

Archived