IGNORED

Dog lovers

BcfcDuncs

Currently looking for a dog . Tried rehoming rescue dogs ,but they are not keen unless you are home all day . So now looking at getting a puppy . 

Any dogs you recommend ? Want a small to medium dog.  I'm swaying towards a Schnauzer or Lakeland terriers but quite expensive.  Can get cheaper puppies in Wales but wary of puppy farms .

Any advice would be welcome .

• Admin

Definitely avoid puppy farms.  If you can't visit the litter and see the mother with the pups, forget it.  Research the breed and find out about problems - i.e GSD - hip dysplasia, Doberman DCM & VwD.  I don't know much about the breeds you are interested in, but join a group on FB, there are a few for most breeds, ask advice, read the posts and you'll get a feel for what they are all about.

Ensure the dog will suit your lifestyle, Huskies howl a lot when left alone, Dalmations were carriage dogs and need lots of exercise or they will be destructive, caughtbplenty out when their kids wanted them after 101 Dalamtikns were popular.  Again, just two examples, but thorough research will save you getting an unsuitable breed, one with lots of genetic issues and hopefully, a pup from poor breeding.

How long do you want to leave the dog?  A puppy will need to go out every couple of hours for several months, it will also likely be more destructive than an older dog, using a crate is an answer, but it wouldn't be fair to crate a puppy all day.  I can leave my two for 6-8 hours now, don't like leaving them that long and rarely do it, but they are adult and never damage anything.

Training a puppy takes a lot of time and effort to do properly, sometimes there are rescue dogs that have been well trained and unfortunate circumstances mean they need rehoming, I know of one recently who was being rehomed because the owner died - although as you say, many rehoming centres are strict about hours being left alone.

Maybe a breed rescue will have slightly less strict rules than places like the dogs home, but many of them will do home checks.

Many rescues are fine with dogs being left for a few hours (I think the max is 4 hours?)

Have you tried Holly Hedge, Mutts with Friends, Heart animal rescue, Many Tears rescue, and The Cinnamon Trust? The Cinnamon Trust rehomes dogs that used to belong to elderly people that have either had to move into a nursing home or have passed away. Most of their dogs are small breed.

54 minutes ago, Mike Hunt-Hertz said:

Don't get a springer, unless you are prepared for a huge amount of walking and a dog that cannot be exhausted!

Great dogs though. Although hard to beat labradors (but amazingly greedy)

A golden retriever man myself. Can't get better in my view, though springers are a close second. They'll bounce of the walls though if you leave them for any time. Dysons - sorry labradors - seem to have one purpose in life only. To eat. 

Have a serious think though whether your lifestyle can accommodate a dog. For the first 3 years they are all-consuming.

They'll repay you, with interest, but don't under estimate the impact of dog ownership on your life choices for 15 years plus. 

Seen too many sad and lonely dogs to recommend them as 'pets' to those who go out to work and leave them for more than a couple of hours. 

I tried holly hedge twice and got disappointed . I come from a dog loving family so have experience with many dogs . I done alot of research in last few months and my family will help out if I need them too . I work shift work and my Mrs works 7am til 2pm but I only work 14 shifts a month and get 21 days off , it's only 5 days shift a month where it potentially we be left , but I got family close by to let the dog out for walks and plus my Mrs has a jack russell and we work around that fine .

1 hour ago, Moor2Sea said:

A golden retriever man myself. Can't get better in my view, though springers are a close second. They'll bounce of the walls though if you leave them for any time. Dysons - sorry labradors - seem to have one purpose in life only. To eat. 

Have a serious think though whether your lifestyle can accommodate a dog. For the first 3 years they are all-consuming.

They'll repay you, with interest, but don't under estimate the impact of dog ownership on your life choices for 15 years plus. 

Seen too many sad and lonely dogs to recommend them as 'pets' to those who go out to work and leave them for more than a couple of hours. 

1 hour ago, Moor2Sea said:

I love dogs, but also moggies too. They are a much better option if you are out a lot (although my little duchess gives me a right telling off, when I get in from a nightshift!)

Also they are no good for walking!

1 hour ago, Mike Hunt-Hertz said:

I love dogs, but also moggies too. They are a much better option if you are out a lot (although my little duchess gives me a right telling off, when I get in from a nightshift!)

Also they are no good for walking!

Don't get me going on cats!!!!! 

Buy a house rabbit as an alternative - they tend not to shit in other people's gardens, kill wildlife for fun ...... oh bugger, couldn't help myself.

7 minutes ago, Moor2Sea said:

Don't get me going on cats!!!!! 

Buy a house rabbit as an alternative - they tend not to shit in other people's gardens, kill wildlife for fun ...... oh bugger, couldn't help myself.

Cat's rule! Mine loves the dogs, and rarely slaughters anything! House rabbits do shit everywhere....dunno why anyone thought they would make a good housepet. I'd much rather have a couple of rats....really cool critturs.

PS- Don't go dissing moggies to Red M, Septic Peg and Dolls AKA the pussy posse.

Just now, Reigate Red said:

Never had a dog but would love to get one maybe when I retire (a few years away yet still). It seems to me that the world of dog ownership is about specific breeds these days. What about the good old cross breed or mongrel - are there reasons to avoid these?

The mongrel is usually thought to be the healthiest "breed", and not prone to the ailments which can afflict pedigree dogs.

I`ve never heard anyone complain about getting a rescue Greyhound. They tend to be lovely natured and obedient and contrary to what you might think don`t actually need a lot of exercise - just one or two good runs a day and they sleep the rest of the time. You do need to watch they don`t run to fat though.

Seriously considering looking at getting one when the inevitable happens to our 15 year old Jack bless her.

7 hours ago, Mike Hunt-Hertz said:

Cat's rule! Mine loves the dogs, and rarely slaughters anything! House rabbits do shit everywhere....dunno why anyone thought they would make a good housepet. I'd much rather have a couple of rats....really cool critturs.

PS- Don't go dissing moggies to Red M, Septic Peg and Dolls AKA the pussy posse.

A few years ago my mum woke up on here birthday to let the cat in, it was sat outside the front door looking really pleased with himself.

He had the neighbours Koi Carp in its mouth. Cue a visit from an *ever so slightly* annoyed neighbour later that day.

23 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

A few years ago my mum woke up on here birthday to let the cat in, it was sat outside the front door looking really pleased with himself.

He had the neighbours Koi Carp in its mouth. Cue a visit from an *ever so slightly* annoyed neighbour later that day.

You can eat carp.....it was just helping out!

The pleasure of dog ownership has been diminished by having to pick up what they leave behind .

I was amused to watch two dog owners chatting happily whilst waving around little grey bags of steaming doos in the park the other day.

The days of finding romance with another person who shares ones love of man's best friend are over. 

When I had dogs they were trained to go in the gutter or in waste ground .

It's only a matter of time before owners are legally obliged to put nappies on their dogs .

Here's a photo ( for DC ) 

IMG_1729.JPG

On 6 July 2017 at 12:09, Mike Hunt-Hertz said:

Count me out as a cat supporter. I can tolerate them but wouldn't own one. Give me a dog any day, infact I'd love a dog but MrRedM says No, No, No :sad26:

On 06/07/2017 at 12:09, Mike Hunt-Hertz said:

Crazy cat lady and proud. Don't have a puss atm as sadly lost my old boy 4 years ago. Though currently considering getting a pair of gingers called Mr and Mrs Weasley...

21 hours ago, Mike Hunt-Hertz said:

The mongrel is usually thought to be the healthiest "breed", and not prone to the ailments which can afflict pedigree dogs.

Absolutely. We have a GSD x Husky in the family. Mum and Dad both pedigrees but he is technically a mongrel. It's quite funny to see the different breed characteristics come out in him. E.g. howls like a Husky but barks like a GSD.

20 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

I`ve never heard anyone complain about getting a rescue Greyhound. They tend to be lovely natured and obedient and contrary to what you might think don`t actually need a lot of exercise - just one or two good runs a day and they sleep the rest of the time. You do need to watch they don`t run to fat though.

Seriously considering looking at getting one when the inevitable happens to our 15 year old Jack bless her.

An old friend of the family had an ex racer. She was a silver grey and named 'Champ' though she never won anything. Those who used to frequent the Luckwell back in the day will remember. She was the most stately lady who never barked and was constantly petted and stroked by all. A beautiful dog.

On 05/07/2017 at 22:15, BcfcDuncs said:

Currently looking for a dog . Tried rehoming rescue dogs ,but they are not keen unless you are home all day . So now looking at getting a puppy . 

Any dogs you recommend ? Want a small to medium dog.  I'm swaying towards a Schnauzer or Lakeland terriers but quite expensive.  Can get cheaper puppies in Wales but wary of puppy farms .

Any advice would be welcome .

Airedale Terrier.

But they are too big, so get a Welsh Terrier and just tell people it was the runt of the litter.

'Win-win'.

:thumbsup:

tfj

On ‎06‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 21:02, BigTone said:

Had a Springer, Cocker & Retriever in the past and all were great dogs. All passed on regrettably so currently on the waiting list for a Labradoodle.

Miss this pair

Mutts.jpg

1 minute ago, BigTone said:

No problem Unk, not at all. It just proves you don't read any of the previous posts properly. :P

It's true - I don't.

More importantly, how do I 'put this right'?

I have offended you, and that cannot be permitted to go without redress.

As an act of unity, I will approach the first moderator I come across and suggest a short ban as penance.

I hope this is acceptable to you, and that it has not soured our relationship.

:hug:

tfj

Archived