IGNORED

RIP Ken Wimshurst

cider head

1 minute ago, REDOXO said:

Remember Ken like it were yesterday!

Condolences to family and friends for a proper City Legend!

Sad day indeed. Always had a soft spot for Ken, wasn't the most aggressive player you ever saw and lacked any pace.

He seemed to float around the pitch and could always pick a pass.

And for anyone who was there for the opening game of the season against Sunderland  71/72?

They would remember his 20yarder, winning goal in a 4/3 win.

R.I.P Ken.

2 minutes ago, stephenkibby. said:

Sad day indeed. Always had a soft spot for Ken, wasn't the most aggressive player you ever saw and lacked any pace.

And for anyone who was there for the opening game of the season against Sunderland  71/72?

R.I.P Ken.

yes a great goal in a great match, I believe we were three one down at one stage, and he certainly played his part that day RIP.

4 minutes ago, pillred said:

yes a great goal in a great match, I believe we were three one down at one stage, and he certainly played his part that day RIP.

Yeah great game that. Would be in my top 10 games even now.

Made even better by the fact that I was stood in the East End with one of best friends Norm. a Sunderland nut from Gateshead!!!

As you can imagine he spoke in sign language that day.

3 minutes ago, stephenkibby. said:

Yeah great game that. Would be in my top 10 games even now.

Made even better by the fact that I was stood in the East End with one of best friends Norm. a Sunderland nut from Gateshead!!!

As you can imagine he spoke in sign language that day.

yes I can see why you enjoyed that game, we were probably feet from each other.

Echo every word written in tribute so far in this thread... such sad news, a real part of my childhood/youth has passed away today... Very much part of the City teams that got me hooked at the time... & that Sunderland game wow!  Was so excited that day..

R I P  Ken Wimshurst 

..thanks for some great memories, maybe you weren't a 'star' as such, maybe Gibbo, Garland, Galley etc got the headlines but you were every bit  as much of an important cog in the City engine as anyone...  Gone now but you won't be forgotten by many of our generation.. cheers.

(PS ... Pinkney !  ....wow never knew that before, and after all this time it has become another memory which will stay in my head forever... Pinkney! :laugh: what a crazy funny middle name.. Love it.. you've again made me smile on even on this the sad day of your passing... )

Cheers 'Pinckney' RIP

4 hours ago, cynic said:

Sad to hear this news.

Knew him back in the day and I remember him as a very mild mannered bloke who carried that into his coaching - no yelling at players or belittling them just encouragement.

Good player for us as well.

RIP Ken. 

Indeed, he was a real gent.

4 hours ago, WhistleHappy said:

Echo every word written in tribute so far in this thread... such sad news, a real part of my childhood/youth has passed away today... Very much part of the City teams that got me hooked at the time... & that Sunderland game wow!  Was so excited that day..

R I P  Ken Wimshurst 

..thanks for some great memories, maybe you weren't a 'star' as such, maybe Gibbo, Garland, Galley etc got the headlines but you were every bit  as much of an important cog in the City engine as anyone...  Gone now but you won't be forgotten by many of our generation.. cheers.

(PS ... Pinkney !  ....wow never knew that before, and after all this time it has become another memory which will stay in my head forever... Pinkney! :laugh: what a crazy funny middle name.. Love it.. you've again made me smile on even on this the sad day of your passing... )

Cheers 'Pinckney' RIP

Exactly this ^^^^^

Another hero of ours gone but never forgotten; Ken and all the others forever in my memories....thanks to them all :chant6ez:

I seem to remember that Ken scored the fastest goal scored at Ashton Gate. A free kick almost immediately after kick off that he floated into the box and everyone missed it, including the keeper. 

As others have said, he became a staple of my early days of watching City, as a player and then as a coach (which was Dicks plan all along I think). Thanks for the memories Ken. 

RIP, just before my time as a player but pretty sure he had a sports shop Staple Hill way at some point & I remember having a lengthy conversation about the reds with him in it early 90s maybe..

7 hours ago, stephenkibby. said:

R.I.P Ken.

Yes. he was a bit of a Hegeler on the pitch...

Never the most exciting player, but he anchored the midfield after a few years of struggling against relegation and at the time when Alan Dicks was beginning to build the young squad that eventually got into the top division.  I remember that 4-3 against Sunderland!

9 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

Very good, very underrated player. Bought from Soton for £15k  (a NOT inconsiderable sum then)

RIP Ken.

How times have changed. I doubt that City could buy a skillful experienced player from Southampton now. Allowing for inflation the fee might be too much, but even if it wasn't, the salary would be a problem. There was little to chose between City and Southampton in the 60s, but they were promoted to the first division and City just missed out. 

I've only just found out his second name was Pinkney! What a name and I'm not surprised he kept it quiet. Nowadays with social media everyone would know instantly and there would be lots of suggestions on the forum for pink songs

Sad news this morning . RIP Ken . A lovely bloke, also a very competitive and talented cricketer as many at Lodway C.C will remember . Woe betide anyone who made a fielding mistake while he was bowling, but a relaxed guy off the pitch with a great humour. Loved listening to him talk in his North Eastern tone. Commiserations to Sally.

RIP Ken and thanks for your efforts. Ken arrived in 1967 and was part of that transition era between the Atyeo years and the younger exciting team of the 70s.

As for that game v Sunderland; it was the opening game of the 70 - 71 season at AG. The scoring went 1-0, 1-1, 2-1, 3-1, HT. 3-2, 3-3 and near the end Ken smashed the winner. Some of the Sunderland team that day were in the FA Cup winning team of 72-73 including goalie Jim Montgomery.

Ken Wimshurst. Not the sort of player who got you to the edge of your seat.With one or two exceptions didn't score too often. Didn't do thunderous tackles like a Quigley or Kellard.

But always seemed to be in the right place. Hardly ever lost the ball and so dependable. For the young ones on here, he was very similar to how I see Hegeler as the defensive midfielder this coming season.

Condolences to his family and thanks, Ken, for what you brought to City as a player and coach.

11 hours ago, stephenkibby. said:

R.I.P Ken.

August 1970

Archived