IGNORED

Aaron Pierre

Luxo Jr.

9 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Interesting. Strong and athletic centre half. I know it's only a trial, but at 24 you would be wanting to sign him for the first team squad. Indicates to me someone is off, Magnusson perhaps?

doubt it, he's free and we're just having a closer look me thinks, nothing else in it

Just now, Monkeh said:

doubt it, he's free and we're just having a closer look me thinks, nothing else in it

Why do you 'doubt it'?

We have lots of cover centre halves (Moore and Vyner) so I doubt we'd bring in another one. He's played enough first team football and is too old to be a development signing. 

If we sign him he'd be for the first team squad, we already have 3 first team squad defenders - not unreasonable to think one could be off if he comes in.

Just now, Phileas Fogg said:

Why do you 'doubt it'?

We have lots of cover centre halves (Moore and Vyner) so I doubt we'd bring in another one. He's played enough first team football and is too old to be a development signing. 

If we sign him he'd be for the first team squad, we already have 3 first team squad defenders - not unreasonable to think one could be off if he comes in.

I doubt Maggers is off,

A logical signing. We have Flint, Wright and Mags as all proven champ defenders. If they are all still here it would only be right to add a 4th for competition/rotation. I know people will say we have Vyner and Moore who can play CB but perhaps they'll both be loaned out again just to gain some more first team experience. They aren't likely to get it here. So Pierre looks like a decent signing to have as back up. 

9 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Interesting. Strong and athletic centre half. I know it's only a trial, but at 24 you would be wanting to sign him for the first team squad. Indicates to me someone is off, Magnusson perhaps?

I really hope not, but I wouldn't be surprised either. :sad26:Seems Pierre is out of contract because he is too for Wycombe though, but I'd rather we stick to who we know, Mags, unless Pierre is back up.

1 minute ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Not necessarily just him, I would say Flint is more likely. I wouldn't think Pierre would be bought in as Flint's replacement though.

Flint is my thoughts as well, with maggs coming into the first team and us getting a replacement/cover

7 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

By the sounds of the lad, he's a no nonsense defender and you can see that by looking at him!

We don't necessarily have ball playing centre halves...  

We thought the same about Damion Stewart....

Probably cover for HM as he's a left footed centre half, then that'll give us Vyner or Moore to cover the right, would help out with the balance of the defence as it'll then mean we can stop putting Wright on the left side hopefully

9 minutes ago, Super said:

Big difference is that Stewart came as an established championship player on big wages for a fee. If we bring in this guy on a free and pay and pay him fairly low wages - it's a much lower risk. You can't really compare the two.

53 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Not necessarily just him, I would say Flint is more likely.I wouldn't think Pierre would be bought in as Flint's replacement though.

In recent interview on the youtube Johnson said they had to be prepared in case there were one or two departures so that those leaving could be replaced with better (his words).

That's what you would say of course, and is easier said than done, but I agree with you as I can't imagine this kid is better than Flint at present.

A quick google reveals he recently headbutted a fan... http://www.bucksfreepress.co.uk/sport/15228768.Wanderers_to____take_action____against_star_player_over____headbutt____incident/

Interesting what it means for our defence. I'm with Phileas on this one.  Assuming one of Moore or Vyner won't be loaned out to cover right back, can't see us needing a 4th centre back plus Moore/Vyner. Presumably someone is off, guessing Flint or Mags...

4 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

In recent interview on the youtube Johnson said they had to be prepared in case there were one or two departures so that those leaving could be replaced with better (his words).

That's what you would say of course, and is easier said than done, but I agree with you as I can't imagine this kid is better than Flint at present.

It's odd for the club to announce a trial too. Usually they'd keep it quiet, wonder why they've chosen to publicise this one?

Think if we sign him, then one of Mags or Flint is on their way.

Certainly can't see how even the "best defender in league two" could be realistically seen as an upgrade on either of them, but there you go..

29 minutes ago, WirralRobin said:

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/birmingham-city-rumour-wycombe-view-11940742 

Interesting Article with a Wycombe fan's views on him from last year............

That article could suggest that he is one for the near future & not one to replace or step up straight away?

so I guess it's wait & see.

47 minutes ago, Dunc said:

A quick google reveals he recently headbutted a fan... http://www.bucksfreepress.co.uk/sport/15228768.Wanderers_to____take_action____against_star_player_over____headbutt____incident/

Interesting what it means for our defence. I'm with Phileas on this one.  Assuming one of Moore or Vyner won't be loaned out to cover right back, can't see us needing a 4th centre back plus Moore/Vyner. Presumably someone is off, guessing Flint or Mags...

In my opinion the fan asked for it .

IMG_1730.JPG

39 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Think if we sign him, then one of Mags or Flint is on their way.

Certainly can't see how even the "best defender in league two" could be realistically seen as an upgrade on either of them, but there you go..

Seeing as Pierre is described as more of a Flint 'style' central defender (dominant and strong) rather than a ball playing defender like Magnusson - it would suggest he's the natural cover/replacement for Flint. Would be a bit concerned by that as I feel we'd need more experience at a higher level in a replacement.

Alternatively (if no one leaves) maybe he's planning 4 centre halves competing with eachother.. Taylor Moore as cover for Pisano at RB and Vyner going out on loan. I'd feel that would be too many players though which would inevitably lead to some being unhappy at not playing.

I don't see why this means anybody is off.  It's likely that Vyner will go on loan to league one IMO having been in league two last season.  (How old is he?  Official site says DOB in 95 but other sources say 97?)

Having four or five recognised centre halves isn't a problem particularly when we often play with three and when Magnusson and Moore will additionally be seen as full back cover and Moore is still only 20.

I'd much rather see Hegeler in midfield, he looked a better player there than in defence to me.

If this guy's good and on a free it's a sensible move.

10 minutes ago, Nibor said:

I don't see why this means anybody is off.  It's likely that Vyner will go on loan to league one IMO having been in league two last season.  (How old is he?  Official site says DOB in 95 but other sources say 97?)

Having four or five recognised centre halves isn't a problem particularly when we often play with three and when Magnusson and Moore will additionally be seen as full back cover and Moore is still only 20.

I'd much rather see Hegeler in midfield, he looked a better player there than in defence to me.

Sorry Nibor but I do not agree about playing as a 3. We very rarely do anymore, the odd expection yes but mainly a back two.

1 hour ago, Super said:

Why is that relevant? I didn't say that no nonsense was a good trait. Just by looking at comments from Wycombe fans, just seems to be that sort of player.

8 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Why is that relevant? I didn't say that no nonsense was a good trait. Just by looking at comments from Wycombe fans, just seems to be that sort of player.

It's not relevant - some people on this forum just enjoy taking a statement someone makes and finding a single example (relevant or otherwise) which arguably disproves it regardless how tenuous that example may be.

24 minutes ago, Nibor said:

It's surely just planning ahead. We all know that, like it or not, Flint is a "potential leaver" - a bid we can't refuse could arise just as the season starts. So to try out a "potential replacement" makes perfect sense, particularly a free agent. Hence it's planning IN CASE we need a replacement, no?

Archived