IGNORED

Aaron Pierre

Luxo Jr.

14 minutes ago, Selred said:

Sorry Nibor but I do not agree about playing as a 3. We very rarely do anymore, the odd expection yes but mainly a back two.

Well, we don't know what the plans are for this season - I think we ended up with three at the back quite a few times last time out.

In any case - five centre halves isn't excessive.  A well balanced 23 man squad might have two players for every position, having an extra centre half when some of them double as full back cover is perfectly ok surely?

It also means we don't have to panic if a massive offer for Flint or someone comes in on 30th August.

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

It's odd for the club to announce a trial too. Usually they'd keep it quiet, wonder why they've chosen to publicise this one?

They tend to announce trailist during pre-season or if it gets into the public domain

Hi everyone. Wycombe supporter here, passing through to see what you may have made of the news of Pierre's trial.

Aaron is a really, really good defender with strength as his number one quality but also with good positioning and good feet. Excellent in the air defensively, though doesn't score many. Even at League Two level, his distribution is pretty average but he's been a rock for Wycombe the past few years and we are sorry to see him go, though wish him well. Disregard the mention from earlier in this thread about the altercation with the fan: bloke was insulting him in the street and got (a fraction of) what he might have expected from a bloke of Pierre's stature and no more than he was asking for. On the field, he's tough but even-tempered and honest. Met him once off the pitch and talked for five minutes: polite and quietly-spoken. Apparently, never lifted weights in his life yet built like a house - £*^&$*" genetics!

He needs a bit of work on the footballing aspects of his game, and obviously the Championship is a jump from League Two, but, if he signs for you, you'd be getting a good character with decent potential, I think. If it happens, good luck to all of you.

Cheers.

1 hour ago, Passing through said:

Hi everyone. Wycombe supporter here, passing through to see what you may have made of the news of Pierre's trial.

Aaron is a really, really good defender with strength as his number one quality but also with good positioning and good feet. Excellent in the air defensively, though doesn't score many. Even at League Two level, his distribution is pretty average but he's been a rock for Wycombe the past few years and we are sorry to see him go, though wish him well. Disregard the mention from earlier in this thread about the altercation with the fan: bloke was insulting him in the street and got (a fraction of) what he might have expected from a bloke of Pierre's stature and no more than he was asking for. On the field, he's tough but even-tempered and honest. Met him once off the pitch and talked for five minutes: polite and quietly-spoken. Apparently, never lifted weights in his life yet built like a house - £*^&$*" genetics!

He needs a bit of work on the footballing aspects of his game, and obviously the Championship is a jump from League Two, but, if he signs for you, you'd be getting a good character with decent potential, I think. If it happens, good luck to all of you.

Cheers.

Hey Wycombe fan, welcome to the forum, good to have you here,

can he pass 2ft to the side? If so then distribution won't be an issue

1 hour ago, Passing through said:

Cheers.

Welcome to OTIB, due to your petty altercation with that lot down the road I kind of like Wycombe.

Your club always seemed good to me so happy to see you on the up again. 

2 hours ago, Passing through said:

Cheers.

Your words are worth more than all of our conjecture!  Thanks for taking the time and trouble to post.  Always good to hear the views of people who have seen a player on the pitch over a period of years.  He sounds like a great option for us.

Agree with the notion this probably has more to say about the coaching staff's opinion on Vyner and Moore playing as back up than anything about Flint or Mags.

If the young lads are loaned out again, don't forget it has to be either half or a full season - could easily see both out to League One got six months, with this lad in as one of four first team options, as can't believe he'd cost a fortune.

Equally; would mean any late mad bid for Mags or Flint a la Kodjia and we've got another player in there to challenge, and one not recovering from a serious injury like Ekstrand was last year.

Low risk and possibly high reward, or at least mild gain, if he shows us enough to win a deal.

3 hours ago, Passing through said:

Cheers.

You're supposed to say he's shit and you didn't want him anyway! 

Just now, cynic said:

It makes a pleasant change from bitter Barnsley folk and the like.

IF he does sign, I don't think it means any players will be leaving as a result - if a last minute bid for Flint comes in which can't be turned down ala Kodjia, then it would be a prudent move. It could also mean Moore or Vyner going out on loan.

Wycombe are a decent bunch.

No harm in looking, good for the club and good for the player in that he can kick on with his preseason training regardless of where he ends up. 

4 hours ago, Passing through said:

Cheers.

Don't worry about all that mate, we're sticking him in goal!

Maybe I'm putting 2+2 together to get 5 but think it's extremely likely at least 1 CB goes. I know he played CB as an academy player but for me Vyner is a RB so that leaves Taylor Moore and Mags as back up to Wright and Flint. So if Flint goes, which I think he will, it gives us Pierre and Mags to fight for that left sides spot. We've not called him trialist so again maybe I'm making a lot of it but could see him signing soon. As far as the two league jump it's a gamble but for presumably low wages very much worth the risk. 

2 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

Maybe I'm putting 2+2 together to get 5 but think it's extremely likely at least 1 CB goes. I know he played CB as an academy player but for me Vyner is a RB so that leaves Taylor Moore and Mags as back up to Wright and Flint. So if Flint goes, which I think he will, it gives us Pierre and Mags to fight for that left sides spot. We've not called him trialist so again maybe I'm making a lot of it but could see him signing soon. As far as the two league jump it's a gamble but for presumably low wages very much worth the risk. 

Yes we have. 

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/city-hand-trial-to-defender-pierre/

One thing no ones mentioned yet is LJ obviously knew we were going to be two centre backs short for the first two friendlies (BW & HM) due to their longer break after internationals, so it makes perfect sense to take one of the best lower league centre backs on trial for that period, if he impresses, great, if not let him go when they return.

Means we don't have to play Wilbs at CB again either!

11 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Think if we sign him, then one of Mags or Flint is on their way.

Certainly can't see how even the "best defender in league two" could be realistically seen as an upgrade on either of them, but there you go..

Why not? Seen hin play?

So typical of an OTIB post

Never heard of him or plays in a lower league = Must be shit

Flint - Swindon  - Smith - Oldham !!!!!!

12 hours ago, Dunc said:

A quick google reveals he recently headbutted a fan... http://www.bucksfreepress.co.uk/sport/15228768.Wanderers_to____take_action____against_star_player_over____headbutt____incident/

Interesting what it means for our defence. I'm with Phileas on this one.  Assuming one of Moore or Vyner won't be loaned out to cover right back, can't see us needing a 4th centre back plus Moore/Vyner. Presumably someone is off, guessing Flint or Mags...

got to be flint big offer coming in 

Many a bargain to be had in the lower leagues and not necessarily worse players. If the club are willing to take him to Guernsey then they are prepared to sign him if they want to.  Interesting to see if we lose a centre half . 

Thanks for all the replies.

Would love to tell you he's shit and we're glad to be rid of him but he's not and we're not! There's actually a new contract on the table for him here if he decides to stay and we'd love him to take it, but we've seen this day coming for 18 months and understand this is the way of the world. The only regret is that he'll go without a fee, being out of contract. But that's no-one's fault and don't blame him for wanting to move upwards.

I quite like a bright goalie shirt, as it happens! The away one this season was a lively affair, too. We had a Chelsea loanee fill it and it worked for him. He was brilliant:about 6' 7" and agile as anything. Saved about half the penalties he faced - and we give a lot away (not Pierre, mostly!) - and made some really top-class saves. Jamal Blackman was his name. Young kid. Probably looking for another loan club higher up than us this season, being about number 5 or 6 on the list at Chelsea. You could do a lot worse if you're looking...

8 hours ago, Maltshoveller said:

Why not? Seen hin play?

So typical of an OTIB post

Never heard of him or plays in a lower league = Must be shit

Flint - Swindon  - Smith - Oldham !!!!!!

I think you have misunderstood, I'm not saying he isn't a good player, nor that he wouldn't be a sensible signing but that I doubt anyone who was playing in League Two last year would be better than Flint or Magnusson at present..

Archived