IGNORED

Wayne Rooney

JakeOTIB

2 hours ago, TRL said:

Easily. I am comparing how overated one was compared to another. What position they play is neither here or there

Only morons wouldn't rate Scholes ( hope no one on here doesn't rate him! ). The best English midfielder of his generation imo. IMO, the main reason he was underrated was because of his quiet personality? Also don't think Rooney is overrated, although his willingness to move positions for the team has possibly been his undoing. COYR 

Shadow of the player he was a few seasons ago, BUT still very good. Fact is he wasn't good or consistent enough to be considered a regular starter for Man Utd, and with the wages he was on you have to say that he was an expensive substitute!!

I think this move suits him, as well as Everton, but also Man Utd. Even paying half of his wages for the remainder of his contract, and supposedly a £10m "golden handshake", it's money saved for them, and let's him go out and play more games than he would have done sat on the Old Trafford bench.

You don't become the all time goalscorer at any of the top clubs by being a mediocre or "overrated" player.

3 hours ago, David Brent said:

I think Everton are more capable of accommodating him in their team, in a central midfield / number 10 role. 

I think this could be a good signing for Everton. They've done some good transfer business, albeit spending a lot of money. 

True, although  are about to recoup a shot load back from Lukaku

The £100m or so Everton have spent out so far this summer is about to be recouped in theory from selling Lakuku to Man Utd.

Not a bad bit of business at all, they have got a very good keeper, a decent defender & brought the age of their midfield right down with the signings they've made. I would say Everton will be a much stronger team this coming season than in any recent previous season.

1 hour ago, Simon79 said:

Only morons wouldn't rate Scholes ( hope no one on here doesn't rate him! ). The best English midfielder of his generation imo. IMO, the main reason he was underrated was because of his quiet personality? Also don't think Rooney is overrated, although his willingness to move positions for the team has possibly been his undoing. COYR 

Couldn't agree more on Scholes 

Also Rooney ended up England and Utds record goalscorer despite playing here and there and everywhere. Total team player. 

I have a feeling Rooney will be utilised up front either in a diamond in a front two with Sandro, Davies in behind with Klaasen, Gueye and Schneiderlin making the other three midfielders or Rooney up front on his own in a 4231 with Sandro, Klaasen and Mirallas making the three and Gueye and Schneiderlin the DMs.

I was a big fan of Rooney until he slagged the English fans off for booing them I think against U.S.A. Some of These had spent years saving to watch that crap we played in that tournament. Also (I could be wrong here) I think most of his goals for England came against second rate teams in non events. Sorry I used think he was the best natural since Gazza. Just my opinion 

7 hours ago, TRL said:

Most overrated player of his generation. He was not a patch on scholes in terms of ability and footballing brain.

Good player but massively overhyped... imo

One of England's most underrated players imo, England and Utd's all time goalscorer still gets a load of crap about his career having not been good enough. 

7 hours ago, TRL said:

Most overrated player of his generation. He was not a patch on scholes in terms of ability and footballing brain.

Good player but massively overhyped... imo

Got to agree with you here. In only four of his 13 seasons at United has he scored 20 league goals or more. And that's playing alongside some of the best players in the Prem. That's a pretty average record.

16 hours ago, BCFCGav said:

Busy Summer so far for Everton. Considering all these big signings and their recent good form under Koeman, could they trouble top 6 next season? Top 4?

Not a chance. How many Everton players would get into teams in the top 6? None is the answer.

I hate Man United, can't stand anyone who plays for them, but I've always absolutely loved Wayne Rooney. He's class. 

Last couple of seasons his form can be excused. He's not had a real run of games has he? 

Also for me, England look a much worse side without him in it. You're telling me you wouldn't have had him in that last squad where we had Livermore/Lingard/Chamberlain in there? 

All not even close to Rooney on ability. 

I really want him to go out next season and bag 15 odd goals and prove everybody wrong.

It's hard not to get sentimental about football sometimes, it's an emotional game, but it just feels right for him to go back home and finish his career where it all started for him. I think if Everton could have promised even half of what ManU delivered to him he would never have moved. I'm no ManU fan at all but at the time it was right potentially the best player in the country should join the top club.

29 minutes ago, Super said:

Not a chance. How many Everton players would get into teams in the top 6? None is the answer.

Think a few of them have a case actually. Gueye and Coleman might. Pickford within 2 years will be that level I think. Arguably Rooney when on form.

I don't think they're top 4 level just yet, but it's clearly the aim. Wouldn't be surprised if they're competing for it in the next couple of seasons.

6 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Think a few of them have a case actually. Gueye and Coleman might. Pickford within 2 years will be that level I think. Arguably Rooney when on form.

I don't think they're top 4 level just yet, but it's clearly the aim. Wouldn't be surprised if they're competing for it in the next couple of seasons.

Also never been convinced with Koeman. His handling of Barkley has been shocking.

16 hours ago, Rob k said:

He wasn't as much of a bottle job though as scholes was he!! 

I'm sure Rooney will look back at his career as Manchester United's and England's top scorer and will think he's done ok!! 

How was Scholes a bottle job and not Rooney? Rooney has gone missing in practically every major tournament he's played in

1 hour ago, Super said:

Keane would make a few of the top 6 defences, and Barkley would likely make a few teams. Klaasen has just signed too. And Siggurdson is close apparently. I disagree that the answer is none.

Personally I think Rooney's swashbuckling early style was trained out of him in a very English way.... Much like what is happening to Ross Barkley at the moment. If he had been South American/Spanish/Dutch etc he would of been encouraged to carry it on it and then who knows....

I would find it very amusing if Rooney scored more goals than Lukaku next season.

9 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

How can someone who has won everything in club football be ovrrated? 

We have some seriously high standards on here when we never produced anyone close or likely ever will. 

I think what people mean is he didn't fulfill the potential they thought he might when he burst on the scene at 16.  He had proberly peacked by 26.

He is not at Messi's or Ronaldo's level which I think is where people hoped he would be.  

The last time I saw him live he was the stand out player on the pitch.

2 hours ago, WTFiGO!?! said:

I think what people mean is he didn't fulfill the potential they thought he might when he burst on the scene at 16.  He had proberly peacked by 26.

He is not at Messi's or Ronaldo's level which I think is where people hoped he would be.  

The last time I saw him live he was the stand out player on the pitch.

Again shows the public's stupidly high standards, Ronaldo/Messi, two of the worlds best players ever in the same generation, therefore expecting Rooney to be one of the best players of all time in the sport is frankly a ridiculous standard to hold him to. 

30 minutes ago, hodge said:

Again shows the public's stupidly high standards, Ronaldo/Messi, two of the worlds best players ever in the same generation, therefore expecting Rooney to be one of the best players of all time in the sport is frankly a ridiculous standard to hold him to. 

Maybe so, however given his early promise, being dubbed the 'white Pele', Euro 2004, imo being the most naturally talented English player of his generation, winning everything at club level and becoming England and Manchester United's highest ever goal scorer there is still this nagging debate surrounding him.  

I think people had good reason to believe he'd become one of the world's all time greats when he started out but for whatever reason he hasn't done it.

Maybe he started too soon and burned out? I don't know.

Archived