IGNORED

Wayne Rooney

JakeOTIB

2 hours ago, Rob k said:

By quitting 

I think you misspelled retired...  Seriously he retired at the same time most footballers do in 2011 and then stayed on for a bit longer until he was because he was so much better than the other options Man Utd had at the time.  And frankly at England level why would you not retire when you were at the top of your game is that not the point as opposed to Rooney teasing out as long an England career as possible.

3 hours ago, Lorenzos Only Goal said:

I think you misspelled retired...  Seriously he retired at the same time most footballers do in 2011 and then stayed on for a bit longer until he was because he was so much better than the other options Man Utd had at the time.  And frankly at England level why would you not retire when you were at the top of your game is that not the point as opposed to Rooney teasing out as long an England career as possible.

He retired at 29 with plenty still to give. At least Rooney had pride playing for his country and if he's not good enough then blame the managers for picking him 

47 minutes ago, Rob k said:

He retired at 29 with plenty still to give. At least Rooney had pride playing for his country and if he's not good enough then blame the managers for picking him 

I think you will find he was being overlooked so he quit while he was ahead, as for Rooney I blame him and the managers who selected him.

1 hour ago, Lorenzos Only Goal said:

I think you will find he was being overlooked so he quit while he was ahead, as for Rooney I blame him and the managers who selected him.

So bottled it, He didn't fancy the fight for his place!! 

Rooney can't be blamed for being selected, that's down to the manager 

Think this move may give Rooney a second wind in his career. Feel he peaked far too early and never built on it. He came into the men's game as a fully grown 16 year old (which is rare in itself). His raging bull playing style, especially in his early career, isn't great for longevity. At 18 he genuinely looked like he'd become a top 5 in the world standard forward.

Perhaps he should've taken a few tips from Giggs and started yoga in his late 20s. 

Hope he does well there, wonder how they're going to use him. 

On 2017-7-9 at 16:23, Rob k said:

He wasn't as much of a bottle job though as scholes was he!! 

I'm sure Rooney will look back at his career as Manchester United's and England's top scorer and will think he's done ok!! 

The top goalscorer for England was such a laboured achievement though 

Not knocking him for doing it, but in those last few games once he got close everyone was trying to give Rooney the easiest possible chance to score and when we had a penalty they just turned to him.

Never mind the fact he shouldnt have even been in the squad at the time.

On ‎10‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 11:13, cider-manc said:

Personally I think Rooney's swashbuckling early style was trained out of him in a very English way.... Much like what is happening to Ross Barkley at the moment. If he had been South American/Spanish/Dutch etc he would of been encouraged to carry it on it and then who knows....

I would find it very amusing if Rooney scored more goals than Lukaku next season.

Possibly. But Mr Fergusons use of Rooney as a deep lying ten was successful.

Rooneys body shape is an endomorph. Endomorphs put on weight as they age earlier than other body shapes. That mass is a disadvantage in sports such as football. Physically he could not play as he did in 2004.

• Admin

Someone please explain how a player who spent his whole career being lambasted by fans up and down the country as not good enough, who then scored enough goals to be record goal scorer for both club and country, can be described as overrated???

On 10/07/2017 at 18:55, Lorenzos Only Goal said:

He wasn't being overlooked...Scholes started at left midfield for five consecutive England games so he sulked at being 'out of position' and quit...

51 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

He wasn't being overlooked...Scholes started at left midfield for five consecutive England games so he sulked at being 'out of position' and quit...

He was played out of position then told to do better for not being good enough, so retired at 29 hardly sulking...  As for Rooney I couldn't care less....

On 10/07/2017 at 11:13, cider-manc said:

Personally I think Rooney's swashbuckling early style was trained out of him in a very English way.... Much like what is happening to Ross Barkley at the moment. If he had been South American/Spanish/Dutch etc he would of been encouraged to carry it on it and then who knows....

I would find it very amusing if Rooney scored more goals than Lukaku next season.

I used to love the old Wayne Rooney however Fergie turned him into a team player.

Rooney used to be up and down the pitch fighting for every ball wnd his passion was a joy to watch. It was a huge shame to see all this coached out of him and then see him turned into a cm.

Hopefully at Everton it will be a new lease of life for him and he will be played in his natural position and allowed to play his natural game.

He had gone stale at United and I'm hoping this move will rejuvenate him.

9 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

A good season at Everton could put him back in contention for an England place.

I think simply just starting will put him back in the squad. The players we currently have like Livermore, Lingard, Chamberlain (CM not wing) aren't anywhere near Rooney ability wise. I'd only have Kane up top ahead of him. 

11 hours ago, Carey 6 said:

I think simply just starting will put him back in the squad. The players we currently have like Livermore, Lingard, Chamberlain (CM not wing) aren't anywhere near Rooney ability wise. I'd only have Kane up top ahead of him. 

We need someone like him to get back to his best for a year or two to bridge the gap between now and the likes of Tammy & Watmore breaking through to the seniors.

On 10/07/2017 at 14:51, WTFiGO!?! said:

Maybe so, however given his early promise, being dubbed the 'white Pele', Euro 2004, imo being the most naturally talented English player of his generation, winning everything at club level and becoming England and Manchester United's highest ever goal scorer there is still this nagging debate surrounding him.  

I think people had good reason to believe he'd become one of the world's all time greats when he started out but for whatever reason he hasn't done it.

Maybe he started too soon and burned out? I don't know.

your last sentence is spot on.

I went to Euro 2004, saw the Rooney vs. Croatia match, he was unreal.

2 hours ago, TheCulturalBomb said:

Not been world-class for a long time and i wouldn't want him in midfield. He needs a good run as a striker again, and he'll fire on all cylinders especially being back to his boyhood club. Expect him in the TOTS.

What did you do with the time that you saved by typing the abbreviation TOTS instead of the words in full?!

Not a dig at just you mate, but I hate the modern trend for lazy, abbreviated, 'can't be arsed to write it in full', Twitter-speak.....

WTF, FFS, ROTFL etc etc etc - it's so crap! And I've noticed on here people put RL because 'real life' takes sooooo long to type!

Right, I'll just go back to bring a grumpy old git! Cheers!

3 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

What did you do with the time that you saved by typing the abbreviation TOTS instead of the words in full?!

Not a dig at just you mate, but I hate the modern trend for lazy, abbreviated, 'can't be arsed to write it in full', Twitter-speak.....

WTF, FFS, ROTFL etc etc etc - it's so crap! And I've noticed on here people put RL because 'real life' takes sooooo long to type!

etc etc etc?

13 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

:laugh:

Archived