IGNORED

Lee Tomlin

City Mike

1 minute ago, Kingswood Village said:

Pretty annoying that Tomlin has apparently only got himself fit for his impending move away from us. I loved him as a player - that does smack of a bad attitude though.

How long before he goes back to his normal shape though?

If this turns out to be true, I couldn't think of a worse team for him to go to, not just because it's Cardiff, but as it's already been mentioned he's looking trim, he seems up for it this season judging by his social media posts, he's probably due a good season after last years dissapointment, and let's be honest, it will leave a bitter taste in the mouths of many of us if he has a great season for them. Tomlin has always been fair and good to our fans I'd say, and I'd hate to see him get stick after some of the important stuff he's done for us just because he has more success over the bridge. 

But still, let's hope it's just another wind up...

2 minutes ago, Kingswood Village said:

Pretty annoying that Tomlin has apparently only got himself fit for his impending move away from us. I loved him as a player - that does smack of a bad attitude though.

If its true you can't blame him as he was never going to want to sit on the bench in the Championship - all this unfit nonsense was nothing more that a reason for most people who had another agenda to have a go. We were just as bad when he played for Peterborough and look what happened that day.

9 minutes ago, jtc1 said:

Why cant we handle any creative players, boring team to watch now.

Remember Trundle? Must be something in the genes.... 

Tomlin will flourish under Warnock. As others have said, great man manager... not polished enough for our project though... he's all substance over style and that will never do!!!!

12 minutes ago, Kingswood Village said:

This is the sort of thing I mean - I honestly don't know how anyone thinks they can judge whether a player is underweight or overweight from the stands.  In the middle of the run where he wasn't being picked last season a mate of mine bumped into him in Cabot's and said that in person he looked absolutely cut and fit as a butcher's dog.  I think it's more likely he was perfectly fit and not being picked for some other reason.  He never showed any shortage of effort when picked just the occasional bit of frustration.

Imo a better side without him. He is disruptive and the odd bit of magic doesn't make up for that. 

People get too hyped up around these sorts of players, never look at the bad only the amazing but in honesty how many times has Tomlin played brilliantly for season when our player? Once or twice? 

You can't carry a bloke for 90 minutes waiting for that one bit of skill or magic. Paterson has magic in him and works his bollocks off. 

19 minutes ago, Robinito said:

The main thing that worries me about Tomlin possibly signing for Cardiff is how trim he apparently looks now. This will probably be one of his best seasons, after the poor one we had to endure.

I was thinking though, even before the Cardiff story, that he looked like his shape had changed too much.  Although he seemed just a bit too porky last season, having that type of physique was part of his armoury.  When he was on song he was a very creative player on the ball, and his frame made it difficult for defenders to shrug him off the ball.  The goal he scored at home v Huddersfield happened because he used his body strength/weight to win the ball off the dithering defender.

I remember Gazza was a lesser player when he shed some timber.   Will be interesting to see how that goes wherever he ends up.

41 minutes ago, Nibor said:

This is the sort of thing I mean - I honestly don't know how anyone thinks they can judge whether a player is underweight or overweight from the stands.  In the middle of the run where he wasn't being picked last season a mate of mine bumped into him in Cabot's and said that in person he looked absolutely cut and fit as a butcher's dog.  I think it's more likely he was perfectly fit and not being picked for some other reason.  He never showed any shortage of effort when picked just the occasional bit of frustration.

He looks (to me) slimmer in the face and body since this time last year. Like you say, other people may feel differently but either way, disappointed if baaaaadiff rumours are true 

2 hours ago, Septic Peg said:

Agree with you there. I know when his Mrs had cancer, he quit football and nursed her himself. It was her nagging him to get back into it that made him take up the Rotherham post.

Not many people could do what he did for his Mrs I'm sure. For that, I give him huge kudos.

The only difference between Neil and me is that I still cannot go back to work!

For those reading this, if you're in a similar predicament, you're not alone. If you are thinking about having to give up work to become a full-time carer and say goodbye to your career, it is a very difficult but at the same time simple decision.

As someone said to me shortly after I started looking after my wife and then 3 year old son, "How long have you been working?"

I replied," Since I was 16, 26 years ago."

His response was classic and encouraged me, "That's a long time. It's very difficult to take the job out of a man."

I'm not posting this to make myself look good. Nor am I looking for sympathy and counselling. I'm pleased that Peg (I got her name right this time!) made her comments. I just wanted to add that if Neil and all the finances and attention he got as a manager can do it and at the other end of the work spectrum there's me, then if there's someone reading this in a similar predicament, you're not alone. It can be done. I've seen our finances and property go out of the window but what I got in return, no career or money could buy. It's painful at times and stress, what stress? But I still have the same wife and a 16 year old son that still love me despite being a grumpy git. 

Thanks again Peg for posting. I too, doff my City cap to Neil and to any others that are about to or have made a similar decision.

Thanks also to OTIB for the puns, false transfer news, half true transfer news, live reports from the Avon Gorge Hotel etc.. It helps everybody de-stress from real life even if it's only temporary.

2 hours ago, Nibor said:

I'd love to know what the story is here.  He's good enough to play at the top of this division, and I don't buy the nonsense about him being unfit or lazy.  

It's annoying to me that we seem to continually fail to get the most out of players with real quality on the ball - it seems to me to be a longstanding problem irrespective of who the manager is.  Noble, Trundle, JET, Tomlin are all players I really enjoy watching but there's a substantial proportion of the fans who turn against them quickly when things they try don't come off and then you start to hear all the "unfit / overweight / lazy" bullshit.  I can remember the same happening now and then with Jacki and I think it's just a misunderstanding - if you want a player to create and cause panic you need them to be available in good positions when you win possession, not back on your own 18 yd box.

I'd rather watch a gifted footballer who runs 8km a game than an athletic footballer who runs 12km and I don't think that is mutually exclusive to getting good results either - you can't have a team full of them but you can definitely have one.  Why can't we make them stick?

Brilliantly put!

Personally gutted as LT is an undoubted talent and should be staying with us. 

The same "old" with the Johnson's 

Dad couldn't handle Lee Trundle

Son couldn't handle Lee Tomlin

You watch Lee Tomlin going and rip the Championship a brand new arsehole this season

I do worry about our lot at times and this definitely shows up a weakness in our current manager 

34 minutes ago, SARJ said:

Wasn't a bad player but if the rumours about him constantly arguing with Johnson and disrupting the changing room atmosphere are true then I'd rather the Welsh had him to be honest.

Could you imagine Tomlin V Warnock in a dressing room. He'll be a hero for them and then fall out with Warnock like he supposedly did with LJ and Howe.

16 minutes ago, Dolman Block B said:

Brilliantly put!

You watch Lee Tomlin going and rip the Championship a brand new arsehole this season

I do worry about our lot at times and this definitely shows up a weakness in our current manager 

Hang on, you haven't mentioned how Eddie Howe couldn't manage him either.

34 minutes ago, Dolman Block B said:

Brilliantly put!

Yeah it's not like he has history of being difficult!

Oh wait..

3 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

He's from the Alex Ferguson mould of managers. Far too long in the tooth to clash with arrogant twentysomethings like Tomlin. He'll bring him in because he thinks he can add to the side and I bet he will.

I recommend his autobiography, I read it in one go on a long flight. He's a good man and speaks highly of us.

I've got a copy (assume you mean this one @Phileas Fogg )

If anybody would like to borrow it and read it for themselves, get in touch. I can post it to you or take it along to the Barnsley game.

2017-07-12 14.56.25.jpg

Archived