IGNORED

Lee Tomlin

City Mike

1 hour ago, Fat Cigar said:

I'm sorry, but this does not show John Pemberton in a good light. 

And Lee Tomlin is basically Kevin Pietersen. Except Pietersen actually had a career worth singing about.  Tomlin, always looking for validation. Such a delicate, fragile, character.  

An excellent comparison. Description of his character spot on, too.

Nothing wrong with these 'maverick' types, of course - you just need the "emotional intelligence", as Lee Johnson put it, to get the best out of them. Oops.

Maverick talents are a great idea in theory but, if someone isn't gelling with the team, often it is better to move them on and get someone who is a better fit. The major consequence of Tomlin being dropped last season was that Patterson came back in, in his preferred position, and was one of our most effective players. Patterson might not have Tomlin's raw talent but he has a work ethic, is effective and makes things happen. 

Similarly I didn't support Pemberton being moved on but it is pretty evident results improved once everyone sang from the same hymn sheet. 

Just now, LondonBristolian said:

Maverick talents are a great idea in theory but, if someone isn't gelling with the team, often it is better to move them on and get someone who is a better fit. The major consequence of Tomlin being dropped last season was that Patterson came back in, in his preferred position, and was one of our most effective players. Patterson might not have Tomlin's raw talent but he has a work ethic, is effective and makes things happen. 

Similarly I didn't support Pemberton being moved on but it is pretty evident results improved once everyone sang from the same hymn sheet. 

Balls. First post on the new forum. I now have a massive L next to my name. Not sure I like that. Maybe it's time I got myself a photo...

A general point about Lee Tomlin (or any maverick): if he was consistently brilliant last season, Lee Johnson, his team-mates, and us fans, would have learned to cope with his monumental ego and whatever garbage he spouts/likes on Twitter. 

Simple truth is that he was a liability for most of the games he played in. Gave the ball away constantly; regularly booked at the beginning of the season for mouthing off at the ref and generally behaving like a brat towards the officials; getting frustrated and then deciding to try and beat the entire opposition only to either fall over or shoot harmlessly wide. 

Lee Tomlin of 2016/17 was not the player we saw between Jan 2016 - May 2016.

Pemberton has shown poor judgement on Twitter. Again.

Lee Tomlin has made a career of poor judgements. 

2 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Should put pay to the nonsense rumour that Pembo and Tomlin had a mass falling out / Pembo had him by the throat bullshit.

I was going to post the rumour I had heard as to why Pembo left but OTIB would have a meltdown if I did so best off leaving it for the time being.

And @Monkeh in fairness Pembo has put there that "not many know how to handle them" so acknowledging I think that the player (Tomlin) is a problem, which I don't think anyone has ever suggested he isn't to be fair.

Fair play for keeping it hush to avoid a meltdown. I'm sure there was more than meets the eye in regards to Pembo's departure. I'm sure emotions were running very high.. with the terrible form on the pitch and the so called off field issues. 

51 minutes ago, Fat Cigar said:

A general point about Lee Tomlin (or any maverick): if he was consistently brilliant last season, Lee Johnson, his team-mates, and us fans, would have learned to cope with his monumental ego and whatever garbage he spouts/likes on Twitter. 

Simple truth is that he was a liability for most of the games he played in. Gave the ball away constantly; regularly booked at the beginning of the season for mouthing off at the ref and generally behaving like a brat towards the officials; getting frustrated and then deciding to try and beat the entire opposition only to either fall over or shoot harmlessly wide. 

Lee Tomlin of 2016/17 was not the player we saw between Jan 2016 - May 2016.

Pemberton has shown poor judgement on Twitter. Again.

Lee Tomlin has made a career of poor judgements. 

Pretty much the essence of what I tweeted back to both them, but I only had 140 chars.  Not had a reply :whistle:

1 hour ago, LondonBristolian said:

Are you saying Tomlin was deliberately singing 'Onward Christian Soldiers' when the rest were singing 'Thine Be The glory' on their weekly Sunday morning squad bonding visit to St Francis church? :no::angry:

18 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Are you saying Tomlin was deliberately singing 'Onward Christian Soldiers' when the rest were singing 'Thine Be The glory' on their weekly Sunday morning squad bonding visit to St Francis church? :no::angry:

No, they were singing the same hymn but in a different church. Tomlin's is in Leicester!

Whatever career you have I don't think it's too much to ask that you are professional about your job. Whilst Tomlin is exciting to watch at his best, if that means treating him differently to everyone else all the time then it's not in the best interests of the club. And that would be the case even if he was performing well week in week out, which he was not. 

We can blame the club for not getting the best from him but to do that everything would need to be about him not BCFC and that's not good. I don't know about his non league days but that makes 3 of his last 4 clubs where things have not ended well and his attitude has been an issue. At some point you have to look at his career as a whole and realise where the issue really is. 

3 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Should put pay to the nonsense rumour that Pembo and Tomlin had a mass falling out / Pembo had him by the throat bullshit.

I was going to post the rumour I had heard as to why Pembo left but OTIB would have a meltdown if I did so best off leaving it for the time being.

And @Monkeh in fairness Pembo has put there that "not many know how to handle them" so acknowledging I think that the player (Tomlin) is a problem, which I don't think anyone has ever suggested he isn't to be fair.

Please tell us what the rumour is? Or at least message me. That's just teasing.

2 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

Balls. First post on the new forum. I now have a massive L next to my name. Not sure I like that. Maybe it's time I got myself a photo...

That's not a massive L.  It's the first two lines on a hangman game.

Whole thing has been a ******* cringe fest from day one. 

All the 'new face of bristol' & loyal love crap after he signed.

Our head of academy writing a tweet slating him after he leaves, our head coach 'favouriting' it, and now our ex assistant manager tweeting this. 

What is happening to football, seriously?!

12 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Our head of academy writing a tweet slating him after he leaves, our head coach 'favouriting' it, and now our ex assistant manager tweeting this. 

Social media....why managers and  coaches are on there is have no idea.

Can you ever imagine somekne like Alex Ferguson or Arsene Winger on there 

5 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

Social media....why managers and  coaches are on there is have no idea.

Can you ever imagine somekne like Alex Ferguson or Arsene Winger on there 

Why shouldn't they be? They're human like you and me aren't they? It's ok for players, why not coaches?

2 hours ago, petehinton said:

Embarrassing init. You'd never guess the people involved are supposed to be adults.

No idea why anyone moaning about Pembo's comment, it is exactly how it is. He has not praised Tomlin has he, just said, that type of player needs managing in a certain way. LJ, is not experienced enough to do it yet. His new boss, Warnock, likened him to Taarabt, exactly the same type of pain in the rear player. Warnock might have a chance of doing it. It does not dispel any rumour about Pembo nearly killing him, it is probably what a Tomlin needs, and respects. Tomlin was far too difficult for LJ, and it was best for all he moved on. LJ has got to build a team spirit that matches our promotion side of 2 years ago, and he could not do that with a player like Tomlin (as few if any others have too I should add). 

17 hours ago, Cider-Head23 said:

Both clearly bitter about their respective exits from Bristol City. 

Not sure one can be that definitive based on a few words.

9 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

At the same time, the manager who got rid of him was very happy to sign him!

Hence Pembo's tweet; Do not see anything wrong in his remark.

No idea why Tom link didn't work out clearly unsettled for some reason and whether that was down to him, LJ or the club I'll guess we will never know. I went to Ipswich away and he did one mazy dribble in the first few minutes and after that he was snagged out and ceased to be an option in that game. For a supposed professional his fitness and conditioning at that point in the season was a disgrace. He was in worse shape than Me! 

11 hours ago, milo1111 said:

Aint that the truth. Be more like 10 hours when the viaduct roadworks start.

Where I live near the viaduct we have been told to add on 2hours every day for our work commute .A lot of city fans this side of town don't know where the viaduct is but it takes 55000 cars a day.I've gave up on night matches next season.

5 hours ago, Psychopomp said:

No idea why anyone moaning about Pembo's comment, it is exactly how it is. He has not praised Tomlin has he, just said, that type of player needs managing in a certain way. LJ, is not experienced enough to do it yet. His new boss, Warnock, likened him to Taarabt, exactly the same type of pain in the rear player. Warnock might have a chance of doing it. It does not dispel any rumour about Pembo nearly killing him, it is probably what a Tomlin needs, and respects. Tomlin was far too difficult for LJ, and it was best for all he moved on. LJ has got to build a team spirit that matches our promotion side of 2 years ago, and he could not do that with a player like Tomlin (as few if any others have too I should add). 

I'm not sure LJ's experienced enough to build a team spirit like Cotts. did either.

In fact, experience might not come in to it.

I doubt he has the personality to do it.

Archived