IGNORED

Mino Raiola

Coppello

Although it's been clear that football has been ruined for a considerable time, I am amazed that agents such as Raiola are still allowed to operate in football. If you consider the deals he has transacted over the past 12 months, they include:

Paul Pogba: £89m transfer fee, £23m of which goes to Raiola and then a further five installments totaling £16.39m.

Romelu Lukaku: Transferred to Man Utd today for £75m. This offer was matched by Chelsea, however the player was not allowed to return to his old club as Chelsea refused to pay the same agency fees that Manchester United were offering.

Henrikh Mkhitaryan: Joined Man Utd for 'only' £26.3m. However, upon negotiating his previous contract at Dortmund he arranged a clause which stated that the agent would be entitled to a fee if his contract is allowed to expire, rumoured to be approximately £15m. This resulted in Dortmund selling the player to United a year before expiry in order to recoup some cash.   

Zlatan Ibrahimovic: Again, rumoured to be a ludicrous sum.

How is this allowed to continue and how can it be controlled? The growth in transfer fees continues to rise to a level which is unsustainable and is surely putting the future of many clubs at risk. One approach which could be enforced is that players pay their agents themselves and are independent of transfer fees. However, this would probably lead to further inflated salaries and signing on fees.

Although the television money is the root of all evil in the footballing world, these leeches are not too far away and need to be removed from the game. 

Why don't players who have a tiny bit of intelligence dispense with agents? Pogba, for example, would have no difficulty in arranging a transfer for himself and could negotiate himself an additional signing on fee in lieu of the agent's fee. A legal details could be checked by any competent lawyer. Of course this is probably too simplistic 

19 minutes ago, Coppello said:

Although it's been clear that football has been ruined for a considerable time, I am amazed that agents such as Raiola are still allowed to operate in football. If you consider the deals he has transacted over the past 12 months, they include:

Paul Pogba: £89m transfer fee, £23m of which goes to Raiola and then a further five installments totaling £16.39m.

Romelu Lukaku: Transferred to Man Utd today for £75m. This offer was matched by Chelsea, however the player was not allowed to return to his old club as Chelsea refused to pay the same agency fees that Manchester United were offering.

Henrikh Mkhitaryan: Joined Man Utd for 'only' £26.3m. However, upon negotiating his previous contract at Dortmund he arranged a clause which stated that the agent would be entitled to a fee if his contract is allowed to expire, rumoured to be approximately £15m. This resulted in Dortmund selling the player to United a year before expiry in order to recoup some cash.   

How is this allowed to continue and how can it be controlled? The growth in transfer fees continues to rise to a level which is unsustainable and is surely putting the future of many clubs at risk. One approach which could be enforced is that players pay their agents themselves and are independent of transfer fees. However, this would probably lead to further inflated salaries and signing on fees.

Although the television money is the root of all evil in the footballing world, these leeches are not too far away and need to be removed from the game. 

Interesting that those players all moved to the same club.

5 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

Why don't players who have a tiny bit of intelligence dispense with agents? Pogba, for example, would have no difficulty in arranging a transfer for himself and could negotiate himself an additional signing on fee in lieu of the agent's fee. A legal details could be checked by any competent lawyer. Of course this is probably too simplistic 

In the UK the players could use their union to do the negotiations for them for free....... Makes you wonder doesn't it?

It's a shame the PFA or a similar body cant be responsible for appointing suitable agents - there would still be some 'wiley' characters but there would be a hell of a lot more for young players to gain from a bit of sensible, neutral advice.

This bloke is in Man United's pocket so far as they will never struggle to stump up the cash. He just needs to keep a portfolio of world class clients!

Totally agree in principle. But my understanding that Chelsea offered 70 million. United have offered 75 million cash, plus 15 million in add ons, plus Wayne Rooney, who was valued at 10 million by both parties. Thus bringing it to the 100 million Everton wanted! Chelsea were in pole position, then they stuttered. So Raiola will probably get another top up with the add ons! COYR 

27 minutes ago, kevthered said:

To me it's quite simple...All the clubs give notice that they won't talk to any agent whatsoever. or cap it %5 of any deal take it or leave it as these parasites are ruining football

Someone please explain to me why clubs are paying the players' agents?

If the agent acts for a player then any fees due to the agent should be  paid by his player.

I'm sure I saw something like this in the Godfather, and it resulted in people getting shot or having horses heads in their beds.

For me as much as I hate rouge agents and the thought of players earning £250,000 us a week... The bigger problem for me is clubs like bristol city for e.g paying 16/17/18 year old kids £3 k a week !! Kids who've done nothing achieved nothing and want for nothing! 

44 minutes ago, downendcity said:

If the agent acts for a player then any fees due to the agent should be  paid by his player.

I'm sure I saw something like this in the Godfather, and it resulted in people getting shot or having horses heads in their beds.

This has always puzzled me. What happens in other parts of the `entertainment` industry? For instance, Adele or Ed Sheeran would have a manager/agent who will presumably arrange gigs, recording contracts and the like and I guess would be paid a percentage of the artist`s earnings from those earnings and not by the venue owners in addition to those earnings.

Or have I got it completely wrong?

2 hours ago, Coppello said:

Surely if the club accepted both offers it's the player's decision where he goes or who he wants to talk to?

Sooner agents are restricted/regulated the better.  Fine have an agent but it's for the user of the agent i.e. The player to pay him.  Not a football club the better.  The amounts of money that is running out of football is scanderlous, values which would keep community clubs running for years. 

I still cant fathom what's going on at Wolves either but I have a feeling it's not morally correct.

5 minutes ago, EmersonsKev said:

Sooner agents are restricted/regulated the better.  Fine have an agent but it's for the user of the agent i.e. The player to pay him.  Not a football club the better.  The amounts of money that is running out of football is scanderlous, values which would keep community clubs running for years. 

I still cant fathom what's going on at Wolves either but I have a feeling it's not morally correct.

The players will just seek an increased wage/signing on fee to cover the agent fee, so the clubs will still ultimately foot the bill. 

23 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

This has always puzzled me. What happens in other parts of the `entertainment` industry? For instance, Adele or Ed Sheeran would have a manager/agent who will presumably arrange gigs, recording contracts and the like and I guess would be paid a percentage of the artist`s earnings from those earnings and not by the venue owners in addition to those earnings.

Or have I got it completely wrong?

Spot on RRH.

With the amount he made on Pogba's transfer, Pogba's agent was worth more than at least half of premier league players. That really is bonkers!

3 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

In the UK the players could use their union to do the negotiations for them for free....... Makes you wonder doesn't it?

Am I right in thinking Gary Neville never had an agent, and used the PFA for his negotiations?

2 hours ago, downendcity said:

Because it's the clubs forcing the move / deal to go through in some cases, e.g. Club X, we'd really like you to help secure your client from Club Y, we'll pay you £z if you can secure it.

Just to be clear, the Agent works for himself! :whistle:

1 hour ago, EmersonsKev said:

All will happen is the Agent will push up the signing on fee, and take his cut from there.  

It is perverse, but what can you do?  Where there's money, there will be Agents.  The only way they'll disappear is if money goes out of the game big-time.

I've no idea how much a normal lawyer would charge for a £50m transfer and wages of £100k pw / £5.2m pa over say 5 years.  That's a £75m deal in a field where they aren't experts.  They'd want to cover their arses, and charge for that risk.  Not saying all agents know their game either.  Suspect they'd be cheaper, but not sure how much....not on the scale of the Pogba agent!

5 hours ago, Maltshoveller said:

I may be wrong 

but 

Raiola is the agent for Zaltan Pogba Lukaku, Mkhitarian and Jose

Two questions

(1) Do Man utd have any scouts? or does Jose just phone his agent and get him to make deals

(2) How much is the agent making Jose in back handers 

Could it also be that they're all great players that most teams in the world would want?

55 minutes ago, Super said:

blame the clubs for putting money into his pocket.

When players started using agents, the agents sought the best contract and price tag for the player. When transferred the player would give 10% of his signing on fee to the agent and (presumably) a %age of his pay as well. That way it was in the best interest of players 7 agents to get the highest transfer fee and pay deal.

Then greed set in and agents tried arranging transfers only part way through a contract. The agents then approached clubs who were on the brink of signing a player and demanded a straight fee for themselves. If the club refused, they didn't get their player.

Get rid of agents and players may be happier where they are and clubs would be paying out less which would keep more money in the game.

At the end of the day the agent doesn't have the final say, the player does; if the player doesn't want to move he won't , and if he does he will. I can't help but feel agents get so much stick when their job is to help a player get the most out of their 15 year or so careers, plan for future after football and help them off the pitch. They're literally doing what the player asks them to do.

I think that if players want to use agents they should have to cover all the fees themselves. If a club wants to use an agent as an intermediary, they pay all the fees themselves. Under no circumstances should a player demand that their contract or transfer includes payment to their agent, it's utterly bonkers

Archived