IGNORED

Striker injuries - Bobby Reid

Davefevs

Don't start many topics, so readying myself for the flames.

Bobby Reid has started 3 games up front (or very advanced if not a true striker), albeit against lesser opponents and scored 3 times (1 in each).

Could he come into contention with Taylor, Djuric, Tomlin etc injured?

I think he gets a little lost in the no10, and his best performances were early last season in a two with O'Neil.  I think he may have something as a forward (not out and out striker), is a willing runner, and can be creative.

20 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Don't start many topics, so readying myself for the flames.

Bobby Reid has started 3 games up front (or very advanced if not a true striker), albeit against lesser opponents and scored 3 times (1 in each).

Could he come into contention with Taylor, Djuric, Tomlin etc injured?

I think he gets a little lost in the no10, and his best performances were early last season in a two with O'Neil.  I think he may have something as a forward (not out and out striker), is a willing runner, and can be creative.

Let's wait and see how things develop. I think you may have put into words what I thought earlier this evening (not trying to steal your thoughts). Why did Tomlin not play? Is he on his way? If so is Lee preparing alternative options with Bobbie? Maybe he'd do the same with Matt Taylor if he was fit?

It's all about fitness at this stage but subtle hints will show perhaps how the coaches are thinking.

I like Bobby.  He's one of the few midfielder we have that get beyond the strikers.   Very creative, clever footballer, can play a forward pass and can run all day.  Deceptively strong for his size.  Gets into great positions but needs to improve his finishing to play there.

Why not I suppose? Many have said he is league 1 player and needs to go. Maybe it is just another player where we need to adapt our formation to play to his strengths.

Look at Joe Bryan - endless arguments about whether he is a left back, wing back, left wing and even central midfield. For me he is still better Left Bench but will reserve judgment!!

Guess it depends on a few factors; if we're looking to bring in more up top, injuries, and if the youngsters in that position will be looked to in the event of us being understaffed.

I'd suggest that Reid performs best closer to goal, so isn't something I'd rule out; also think he is a pretty decent understudy for Tomlin and giving his odds of pinning down that role zero harm currently.

21 minutes ago, Chairman Mao said:

It is clear Reid will be playing as a false 9 while we offer total football and walk the league.i actually always thought Bryan would be a decent false 9. 

Does a false 9 wear a number  8 shirt? 

44 minutes ago, Chairman Mao said:

It is clear Reid will be playing as a false 9 while we offer total football and walk the league.i actually always thought Bryan would be a decent false 9. 

Funny, when you see his finishing, Villa last season being a prime example, I've often thought that he needs to be further up the field, yet we play him left back #LJLogic 

As for Reid, make or break, and I personally see him more in that role than at CM, too many mistakes at CM at this level for me. Of course, we have Lee Tomlin, who really should be taking the role, but again we are back to #LJLogic

It depends where City want to go. If it's, at minimum, Championship consolidation then I would be worried with Bobby Reid in the team as a forward. To be honest I'd be worried if he was regularly  in the team in any position, but that's because I'm not a great Bobby Reid fan. He's been a promising young player since the days of silent films 

8 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I think he may have something as a forward (not out and out striker), is a willing runner, and can be creative.

It's worth a try. Personally I'm not sure he's championship quality. He is inconsistent and leaves me constantly underwhelmed. Probably a make or break season for Bobby.

1 hour ago, BRISTOL86 said:

I did chuckle at the irony of the fact that by far the worst part of his game has been finishing chances, and now someone's thought what he really needs is to be a striker!

1 hour ago, Robinito said:

I thought exactly the same thing!

That's fine. I asked for opinions. 

There is however a possibility that playing in a position regularly might lead to an improvement. 

A lot of people see Taylor as the answer.  Funnily enough not for his goal scoring for us but his assists. Most people thought all he could do was score and nothing else.  So taking chances doesn't seem to be a pre-requisite for playing up front in many eyes. 

I think it's about partnerships. Turner was provider for Taylor. Just wondering whether Reid could be the legs and creator alongside Diedhiou....that's all?

Just now, Davefevs said:

That's fine. I asked for opinions. 

There is however a possibility that playing in a position regularly might lead to an improvement. 

A lot of people see Taylor as the answer.  Funnily enough not for his goal scoring for us but his assists. Most people thought all he could do was score and nothing else.  So taking chances doesn't seem to be a pre-requisite for playing up front in many eyes. 

I think it's about partnerships. Turner was provider for Taylor. Just wondering whether Reid could be the legs and creator alongside Diedhiou....that's all?

It wasn't a dig at you mate. I meant the fact that LJ even thought to play him at striker made me chuckle after he's previously mentioned how good he'd be if only he could hit the target!

8 hours ago, Newquay-Red said:

Needs to seriously improve his finishing before he could even consider playing there- I like the guy but he has a real tendency to miss sitters

We talking about Reid or Taylor?

22 minutes ago, Super said:

We talking about Reid or Taylor?

Yeah, Taylor has missed some sitters.

Funny how fans see thing differently from watching the same games.  I like Taylor's attitude and desire, but for me he does not have the speed or movement, or more importantly, the speed of thought to play at this level.  In terms of ratting out defender and a high press, it's Bobby again for me.  

Think Bobby definitely edges him on movement and creativity, but as said Bobby could do better on finishing.  He must do it training to be even in contention, so maybe he just need games there?

I suspect against lower level opposition he has more freedom and it's much easier to get into the box.  The two things Reid really needs to improve are his decision making with the ball which at times can be over elaborate, and his positioning / tracking off the ball.  He's a decent player but he needs to kick on quite a bit if he's going to play regularly in the Championship.  Could he play up front?  Given his size he'd need to be very quick or very clever in his movement.  In a pinch maybe but I'd think a more likely possibility was as a wide player.

Archived