IGNORED

Tomlin to Cardiff - CONFIRMED

Ian M

• Admin

I suppose we will need this thread for sure now.

Telling fans on Sunday he isn't injured, despite what LJ tells us & then on Tuesday is named in a 22 man squad but doesn't get any minutes as LJ preferred to bring on a player not even in the squad orginally. His absence was not even covered post match.

Goodbye Lee.

1 minute ago, RobArnold10 said:

If he doesn't feature against Yeovil then we will know for sure. Will be so typical of us to completely get this wrong.

Im pretty critical of lj and the hierarchy of the club, but in this case, i feel it was a no brainer to go for him last summer. Tomlin last season was in a pathetic state of fitness, he has to take responsibility for being a professional athlete, but evidently was not bothered. Hopefully his reputation means someone will take him, otherwise we are stuck with him on huge wages.

22 minutes ago, RobArnold10 said:

If he doesn't feature against Yeovil then we will know for sure. Will be so typical of us to completely get this wrong.

Maybe it's him that has got it wrong with his pathetic performances.

Tomlin is a wind up merchant. He probably told people he wasn't injured just to get this sort of reaction.

Perhaps he was planned to have a gentle run out last night but he/they felt the niggle wasn't quite up to it and it was an unnecessary risk?

Could be a perfectly innocent situation. But who knows

There is a lot more to the Tomlin situation than we are aware of. I have a feeling that he could well be available for transfer but it looks and sounds like we are working with him not only on his physical fitness but mental well being.

Hopefully both LT and the club come out winners.

When Tomlin is in the mood he's a joy to watch. When he's not it's like some bloke from the pub won a competition to play with the team. There was far more of the latter than the former last season and Tomlin has to take some responsibility for that (though Johnson also has to take some blame). I'd love for him to come back this season and play like the player he can be for us. But I won't blame the club for cutting their losses if they get a reasonable offer, he was a passenger too often last season 

32 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Tomlin is a wind up merchant. He probably told people he wasn't injured just to get this sort of reaction.

Perhaps he was planned to have a gentle run out last night but he/they felt the niggle wasn't quite up to it and it was an unnecessary risk?

Could be a perfectly innocent situation. But who knows

I think that sort of wind up would be a bit too sophisticated him, pretty sure there's something up. 

59 minutes ago, RobArnold10 said:

Don't think it would be, I think we on OTIB are relatively astute about things - especially in this age where the club is incredibly secretive.

I agree he was poor for most of last season. Also having your top earner (probably) on the bench every week I get that. But I do feel that at times he is worth the entry fee alone. I think he is possibly the only player we have who does things that other players simply cannot do. 

It does feel like something is up. I would have expected them to say if a niggle in the same way they clarified how Korey came off. I hope he stays and plays number 10 but fear the worst 

Sir Alf Ramsey had a decision to make for the World Cup Final. Did he play the most skilful and fit again player in Europe  or stick with a team that played as a unit?

Sir Alf stuck with the team that had won games since Jimmy Greaves had been injured in an earlier match.

Jimmy Greaves was by far a better player than LT will ever be. Both could be lazy at times but they could create and score goals from nothing. 

Jimmy acknowledged later on that Sir Alf's decision to not play him in the final was the correct one.

By the way, Jimmy didn't even make the subs' bench. That wasn't Sir Alf's decision. There were no subs in World Cups until 1970. 

If we can learn anything from history especially that 1966 tournament, maybe LJ is not playing LT because he has a team currently that plays and wins.

I think a lot of the problem with LT last year were the players around him. By that I mean that when he was on loan him and Kodjia seemed to be always on the same wavelength. Kodjia would make a run and LT would find him. Last season for whatever reason him and Tammy did not work together. Now with FD coming into play the main striker role, being similar to Kodjia, could they strike up a good partnership? I would like to think so, but sadly I think he could be on his way.

21 minutes ago, Norn Iron said:

Sir Alf Ramsey had a decision to make for the World Cup Final. Did he play the most skilful and fit again player in Europe  or stick with a team that played as a unit?

Sir Alf stuck with the team that had won games since Jimmy Greaves had been injured in an earlier match.

Jimmy Greaves was by far a better player than LT will ever be. Both could be lazy at times but they could create and score goals from nothing. 

Jimmy acknowledged later on that Sir Alf's decision to not play him in the final was the correct one.

By the way, Jimmy didn't even make the subs' bench. That wasn't Sir Alf's decision. There were no subs in World Cups until 1970. 

If we can learn anything from history especially that 1966 tournament, maybe LJ is not playing LT because he has a team currently that plays and wins.

I reckon if you transported a modern Championship footballer back 50 years, with the advances in training, fitness and strength - they'd look like the best player on the pitch compared to those players of old.

14 minutes ago, LD83 said:

Cardiff. medical today.

Good move for him if true. Annoyingly can see Warnock getting him to play well. They need balance on the left now Whttingham has gone and a replacement of his dead ball ability. Makes sense.

If it's true I hope we recoup over half of our outlay.. in a way it's more important that he's off the wage bill.

Just now, Phileas Fogg said:

Good move for him if true. Annoyingly can see Warnock getting him to play well. They need balance on the left now Whttingham has gone and a replacement of his dead ball ability. Makes sense.

If it's true I hope we recoup over half of our outlay.. in a way it's more important that he's off the wage bill.

On the surface this would be a win for all concerned (to varying degrees !!).

Until he smacks a 90th minute 30 yard free kick winner past us at the Atyeo End !!

Just now, Phileas Fogg said:

I reckon if you transported a modern Championship footballer back 50 years, with the advances in training, fitness and strength - they'd look like the best player on the pitch compared to those players of old.

Good point but then if you watched the Big Match on Monday (BT Sport) you'd have seen an excellent game from August 1976. The fitness and amount of running shown in a 20 minute edited version wasn't too dissimilar to today's pace of the game.

Would the '76 game been that different to the '66 version? 

I grant you that fitness techniques is far better than those of even 20 years ago but you can't argue about skill levels. You've either got it or haven't.

The 1976 BT Sport game showed the winger making a mockery of the old first division home defence. His crossing was superb and the way the striker left his marker to head the ball past the keeper would be considered fantastic by today's standards. 

If only I could remember the winger and striker's names! Oh yes, Paul Cheesley and Clive Whitehead. BT showed that game at Arsenal.

Archived