IGNORED

Tomlin to Cardiff - CONFIRMED

Ian M

2 minutes ago, Norn Iron said:

Good point but then if you watched the Big Match on Monday (BT Sport) you'd have seen an excellent game from August 1976. The fitness and amount of running shown in a 20 minute edited version wasn't too dissimilar to today's pace of the game.

Would the '76 game been that different to the '66 version? 

I grant you that fitness techniques is far better than those of even 20 years ago but you can't argue about skill levels. You've either got it or haven't.

The 1976 BT Sport game showed the winger making a mockery of the old first division home defence. His crossing was superb and the way the striker left his marker to head the ball past the keeper would be considered fantastic by today's standards. 

If only I could remember the winger and striker's names! Oh yes, Paul Cheesley and Clive Whitehead. BT showed that game at Arsenal.

I think modern day Tomlin, fully fit by modern standards with modern boots etc would get in the 1966 England side. In the last 20 years sports science and fitness has changed football hugely and it would show.

Many of those guys smoked and were heavy drinkers. The game is just played at a different pace now; all players are athletes to varying degrees.

2 minutes ago, Tears in rain said:

Thankyou for that!! It seems no one knows who is having a medical there and it's just who people would like to sign.

It just further supports what I was told yesterday evening and why he was left out of the squad at Bath, despite a previous indication that he would be. 

Also - not convinced the fee is anywhere near £2m upfront and majority relates to add-on's on appearances and bonuses. Was a suggestion of a loan-deal mooted at one point.

4 minutes ago, BCFC Grim said:

What do we lack? Creativity/goals. What do we do, sell our most creative player. Poor last season, who wasn't? Better have a good replacement lined up.

You can tell from last seasons performances that he didn't want to be here. We cant afford to carry him for another season in the hope he will pull his finger out.

Its definitely the time to get rid and move on. 

JP was looking very creative at the end of last season. 

3 minutes ago, BCFC Grim said:

What do we lack? Creativity/goals. What do we do, sell our most creative player. Poor last season, who wasn't? Better have a good replacement lined up.

I'm sure we will. I think we're looking to bring in a genuinely classy midfielder - indicated by the Enzo Perez rumours.

Tomlin is on big wages, possible we need to get rid of him before we can bring in another big earner.

5 minutes ago, BCFC Grim said:

Paterson . He done more than Tomlin last season. Work rate unquestionable . Whilst it's a shame about Tomlin. Who I rated. He's on big wages and he has to deliver. Which unfortunately he never last season. And as a club of our size he needed to deliver. If it frees up wages for more players then I'm all for it . Going to Cardiff. Meh 

2 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I'm sure we will. I think we're looking to bring in a genuinely classy midfielder - indicated by the Enzo Perez rumours.

Tomlin is on big wages, possible we need to get rid of him before we can bring in another big earner.

Fingers crossed. I look at our forward options and nothing stands our really. This new player is a bit of an unknown, Duric can hold the ball up well but not so much a threat, and Taylor works his bollocks off but I'm not sure. 

Time will tell.

If Tomlin goes, I'll remember the quality moments, especially the chip over a defender and slamming it into the net as it dropped. But like Jacki and one or two other similar players, the is a very talented footballer but not a team player. If we had ten others who could cope with him disappearing from games for long periods, we could cope.

But Barcelona we are not, so far better to build a team where everyone pulls their weight.

1 minute ago, BCFC Grim said:

Fingers crossed. I look at our forward options and nothing stands our really. This new player is a bit of an unknown, Duric can hold the ball up well but not so much a threat, and Taylor works his bollocks off but I'm not sure. 

Time will tell.

I agree, if Tomlin goes we'll need a creative midfielder who can play as number 10. I'm not totally convinced in our current personnel to fill that role.

Just now, Red Army 75 said:

Paterson . He done more than Tomlin last season. Work rate unquestionable . Whilst it's a shame about Tomlin. Who I rated. He's on big wages and he has to deliver. Which unfortunately he never last season. And as a club of our size he needed to deliver. If it frees up wages for more players then I'm all for it . Going to Cardiff. Meh 

I think Patterson has still to prove himself, and wouldn't surprise me if he went the same way  as Tomlin. Don't get me wrong looked good at the end of the season but just have a feeling he will drift in and out of the team. I hope not just a hunch. He was used sparingly till the last few games. He came on and helped get the winner against Rotherham and then we didn't see him for a few weeks. 

1 minute ago, cidered abroad said:

I know the reaction that this will provoke but here goes. Bobbie Reid?

Think this is why Bob has been played behind the strikers in the friendlies. 

I know it was only Guernsey and Bath but think he did well tbf.

Tin hat on...

Just now, cidered abroad said:

I know the reaction that this will provoke but here goes. Bobbie Reid?

Not for me. Not convinced he's got the consistent quality, only in flashes. Would love him to surprise me this season. 

There has to be a reason he's survived so many managers.. don't see it personally.

Just now, Phileas Fogg said:

Not for me. Not convinced he's got the consistent quality, only in flashes. Would love him to surprise me this season. 

There has to be a reason he's survived so many managers.. don't see it personally.

Long as we can work on Reid's finishing from 1-3 yards im happy he seemed to struggle with those :fingerscrossed:

1 minute ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Has to be much much more consistent, and stop being so bloody lightweight!! far too easily outmuscled. His skill is evident, but he needs to 'do it' week in week out. Too old to still be considered as one for the future in my view! 

3 hours ago, Ian M said:

I suppose we will need this thread for sure now.

Telling fans on Sunday he isn't injured, despite what LJ tells us & then on Tuesday is named in a 22 man squad but doesn't get any minutes as LJ preferred to bring on a player not even in the squad orginally. His absence was not even covered post match.

Goodbye Lee.

I wouldn't read too much into his absence from the 3 friendlies so far, if he has had a slight injury then there maybe a case of us taking extra precautions with him & especially with the very wet conditions of last night, it may of been considered as too much of a risk of slipping?

As regards to Cardiff links, my view is that if he's not in LJ's plans (which wouldn't be a surprise on last season's form) then it's best we ship him out & if £2m is correct then it goes a long way to paying for Dicko (if we are still after him), as long as Cardiff cover Tomlin's wages as well, that's a huge financial gain for the club but I'd be very surprised to see Cardiff willing to pay anywhere near £20k p/w in wages so I'd expect us to get stuck with some of it!

Tomlin on his day is a magician but sadly those days were to few & far between & we have other players who can play that role that will also offer us more of an all round game (defensively) as we aren't a good enough team to play  be able to play with 10 men for the majority of our games.

All depends on what LT they get. If they get the one we had on loan he'll be an excellent signing. If they get the one we had last year they'll rue the signing. 

People bemoan a gamble on Engvall for £2m but want to keep LT and turn down £2m based upon last year? Given additional risks of being a fan and player distraction or negative influence even, I think it's unreasonable to keep him in the hope he rediscovers form. It's too much of a gamble.

Good riddance re Tomlin. He's like a spoilt kid with a bad attitude which you don't want spreading around the squad. He's obviously very talented, but has no work ethic, not a team player, has poor control of his temper(to team-mates, coaches and referees) and a fragile ego. 

City aren't the first club to discover this, maybe Johnson saw him as a challenge, as will Warnock if he goes over to that hole. 

Just now, Andy Horsman said:

Has to be much much more consistent, and stop being so bloody lightweight!! far too easily outmuscled. His skill is evident, but he needs to 'do it' week in week out. Too old to still be considered as one for the future in my view! 

I'm a big advocate of giving players time - and Bobby as a smaller guy, it's understandable to give him time to grow into his man's body before we make a final decision on him.

For me though, and for his own career, this season he has to force his way into the side as a regular starter - now or never. If he's still a fringe player by next May I think we've got to get rid.

He's skillful but it's his consistency I worry about. Thing is though, several managers who watch him day in and day out and are far more knowledgable than I have kept him on the scene. He must have something.. hope we see it this season.

Archived