IGNORED

Tomlin to Cardiff - CONFIRMED

Ian M

This is definite now is it?

Shame- Tomlin on form, motivated and happy is as good as anyone at this level. He looks in much better shape too so I hope we don't regret this.

Funny how it changes too- for a time in August 2016 we had a mouthwateringly good front 3 potential of let's say Tomlin behind Kodjia and Tammy. Or in a straight 3, with Tomlin and Kodjia especially interchanging across the frontline. What could have been. Let's hope we move forward with the current squad now.

48 minutes ago, SuperDziek said:

I think signing a player like Tomlin for a team like ours is always a gamble, in that we're not one of the top teams who can afford to carry a player, we need the XI pulling together for the cause as at the moment, we're at best a mid table championship club.  

Some gambles pay off, some don't.  This one in theory is the latter, but if we get £2.8m back as a result of the gamble, then it's not worked out too badly.

Was it Paul Jewell who said about JET - One day a world beater, next day a panel beater.  Well, LT was like that and he was at least consistent in his inconsistency! 

Surely he was a dead man walking since the bust up with LJ though, so the news is no real surprise.  Good suggestion from @Woodsy to through in Engvall and call it £5m - You should be our Director of Football!

What "bust up" was this, then?

There was no bust up. Lee Tomlin told us in January there was no bust up. Indeed, so much was there no bust up with LJ, that Tomlin and LJ had a little chuckle to themselves about the very suggestion of there being a bust up between them.

Steve Lansdown did tell us that Tomlin needed to "knuckle down" though.

40 minutes ago, petehinton said:

All I can see is him doing just that mate. As much as we'd not like to admit it, Warnock completely transformed them last season. With a full summer and pre season with them, I can see them being real dark horses this season.

Yep, I remember that Friday night well - all set up for us to do Colin in his first (?) game there.....I got pissed on Thatchers watching that game. It was the only highlight

39 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Our second top goalscorer last season with 7 goals...all relative. If that's him doing f-all then he could have a devastatingly good season at Cardiff under NW!

7 goals. 7 goals for £3.5m and between £15k and £20k a week. That isn't good enough for us, Kid. I was expecting a lot more than that. How many of those were pens and free kicks? I'd love to see his assist figures as well. Nowhere near what I was expecting of him, massive disappointment

10 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

What "bust up" was this, then?

There was no bust up. Lee Tomlin told us in January there was no bust up. Indeed, so much was there no bust up with LJ, that Tomlin and LJ had a little chuckle to themselves about the very suggestion of there being a bust up between them.

Steve Lansdown did tell us that Tomlin needed to "knuckle down" though.

They wouldn't come out and say they did though especially when our form took a turn for the worse.

5 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

Yep, I remember that Friday night well - all set up for us to do Colin in his first (?) game there.....I got pissed on Thatchers watching that game. It was the only highlight

7 goals. 7 goals for £3.5m and between £15k and £20k a week. That isn't good enough for us, Kid. I was expecting a lot more than that. How many of those were pens and free kicks? I'd love to see his assist figures as well. Nowhere near what I was expecting of him, massive disappointment

The initial fee for Tomlin was reported as being £2.25m so not sure where £3.5m comes from? The only point I'm making is that 7 goals in 32 (10) appearances is a long way from f-all. It was actually a significant contribution in the context of our season and it'll have to be replaced somehow.

6 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

The initial fee for Tomlin was reported as being £2.25m so not sure where £3.5m comes from? The only point I'm making is that 7 goals in 32 (10) appearances is a long way from f-all. It was actually a significant contribution in the context of our season and it'll have to be replaced somehow.

But it can be replaced by a team player who will bring far more to us as a club. To put it another way, Matty Taylor was less than prolific from a goalscoring point of view but he created goals either directly or indirectly and did more for us than Tomlin - He contributed more. 

I think Tomlin's net impact for us, taking in to account his goals, assists, general play, supporting his teammates, the manager, the club, was overwhelmingly negative - so much so better off without even rather than worry about 7 goals. 

5 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

32 starts and 7 goals really isn't that good is it?

Just now, 29AR said:

But it can be replaced by a team player who will bring far more to us as a club. To put it another way, Matty Taylor was less than prolific from a goalscoring point of view but he created goals either directly or indirectly and did more for us than Tomlin even if less goals. He contributed more. 

I think Tomlin's net impact for us, taking in to account his goals, assists, general play, supporting his teammates, the manager, the club, was overwhelmingly negative - so much so better off without even rather than worry about 7 goals. 

I've already said: I wouldn't have signed him permanently in the first place.

Just now, Super said:

32 starts and 7 goals really isn't that good is it?

It's not amazing, mind you Tomlin wasn't playing as an out and out striker all of the time. Often he was played out wide (out of position in my view) and 7 goals still made him our second top scorer and 7 goals in 32 is not f-all - it's a contribution that needs to be replaced. That is the only point I am making!

Just now, Kid in the Riot said:

I've already said: I wouldn't have signed him permanently in the first place.

It's not amazing, mind you Tomlin wasn't playing as an out and out striker all of the time. Often he was played out wide (out of position in my view) and 7 goals still made him our second top scorer and 7 goals in 32 is not f-all - it's a contribution that needs to be replaced. That is the only point I am making!

Yeah I get thay and appreciate (and recall!) you were rightly never a fan of signing him. Just saying whilst he scored 7, I don't think he was a positive contributor at all so no need to fear who will replace those goals. 

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Our second top goalscorer last season with 7 goals...all relative. If that's him doing f-all then he could have a devastatingly good season at Cardiff under NW!

How many of those were free kicks or penalties? He was abysmal last season and not even a goals scored stat will change that. And for the record, of those 7 I think 4-5 were pens or FK. He was supposed to be the focal point of the team. To drag us to something when we didn't have it going. Instead he sulked and got out of position while giving the ball away easier and easier. I guess some rather remember his good 4 months after Cotterill which is fine but truth is he's probably one of the worst transfers the club has ever made when you consider the price tag and wages. 

Again most of his goals were penalties or FK. Stats aren't your friends guys and girls! They often tell lies. Ok the FK game talent but seems we don't mind Brownhill on them and we know Mags and Hegeler can take them. Penalties id hope our record signing could convert them as well as Tomlin or better

2 minutes ago, Distortia said:

Unfortunately, I think he will shine there. Just a hunch.

I think so too. Warnock has been around long enough and is respected enough he can say what he likes to LT and he'll have to be on board. I was similar when I played. Didn't need to be coddled I needed to be told what to do and if I didn't a good earful went a long way, 

2 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

How many of those were free kicks or penalties? He was abysmal last season and not even a goals scored stat will change that. And for the record, of those 7 I think 4-5 were pens or FK. He was supposed to be the focal point of the team. To drag us to something when we didn't have it going. Instead he sulked and got out of position while giving the ball away easier and easier. I guess some rather remember his good 4 months after Cotterill which is fine but truth is he's probably one of the worst transfers the club has ever made when you consider the price tag and wages. 

Ah, those pesky free kicks and penalties - I forget that they don't count as goals, do they?

He won't go down as one of the worst transfers we've ever made because of those 4 months when he was great and also the fact that we will recoup all of our money on him. If he is abysmal as you say, then will be a piece of cake to replace.

Just now, JoeAman08 said:

I think so too. Warnock has been around long enough and is respected enough he can say what he likes to LT and he'll have to be on board. I was similar when I played. Didn't need to be coddled I needed to be told what to do and if I didn't a good earful went a long way, 

I think he'll have one good season at most and go off the boil again. 

My impression is that he doesn't respect those in authority, and he won't even Warnock. What he will react to though is the fact there are seemingly more happy to see him leave. He needs to feel loved, he'll work for that, soon as his name rings around the stadium expect he'll revert to type. 

2 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Ah, those pesky free kicks and penalties - I forget that they don't count as goals, do they?

He won't go down as one of the worst transfers we've ever made because of those 4 months when he was great and also the fact that we will recoup all of our money on him. If he is abysmal as you say, then will be a piece of cake to replace.

He was - £300k Matty Taylor last season kept him out, rightly. 

Just now, Kid in the Riot said:

Considering anyone could've converted the penalties I don't see why it should be a crutch trying to hold Tomlin up to even average here. Bobby Reid scored more from open play, probably gave the ball away less and did more work off the ball yet people can't give the guy a break but Lee Tomlin did a Rabona 25 yard pass and chipped the ball over a defender once. Please, I'd rather have Bobby Reid over last years lee Tomlin. 

5 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Again most of his goals were penalties or FK. Stats aren't your friends guys and girls! They often tell lies. Ok the FK game talent but seems we don't mind Brownhill on them and we know Mags and Hegeler can take them. Penalties id hope our record signing could convert them as well as Tomlin or better

Video highlights suggests he was the penalty taker for them and did a good job. So yeah fingers crossed :fingerscrossed:

3 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Also I don't think he needs replacing. We need players in anyway. He was a guy that didn't have a position for us anymore. Yes recouping the money is a success i agree there so it will spare him but LT should get a lot more credit for our bad season then he does

20 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

In my head it was more like £3.5, if £2.25m was reported I'll go with that

Which makes the (reported) deal even more spectacular. I'm even more in favour of it now

Imagine if he just knuckled the **** down and those 32 (10) 7 goals were more like 42 (10) 12 goals. All the rumours of him threatening to spark LJ out, and rumours off stuff going on off the field, he's just not worth the hassle. I bet Paterson has way better stats than that this year, given a chance

Archived