IGNORED

Tomlin to Cardiff - CONFIRMED

Ian M

1 minute ago, Phileas Fogg said:

You need to read what people are actually writing, I wasn't singling Johnson out at all. Pack, Abraham, O'Donnell and Flint aren't relevant to the point being discussed.

so do you, I was agreeing with you, I was pointing out that plenty made mistakes last season but aren't being singled out for it

7 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I think it depends on the context, in the context he said it (if i'm right about that) it was intended as a bit of a joke - probably with a grain of truth.

The full comment is here - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36962717

Johnson said City aim to "fast-track" efforts to emulate Swansea and Stoke, who have both featured in Europe's second-tier competition in recent years.

"We'll give it a right good go, that's for sure," said Johnson at Tuesday's BBC Radio Bristol & BBC Somerset sports forum.

"I believe it as well. I believe it is putting pressure on everybody at the club and we can deal with that pressure.

"Yes it will be very, very difficult, but why not? We're ready to go. Bristol is a fantastic city.

"I love the city, and the club, to bits. It's an amazing new stadium that will only get better as well."

To me, it doesn't seem that outrageous a comment when put in the context of the full quote. He's just revealing our ultimate aim. I don't think emulating Swansea/Stoke is that unrealistic, but the rest of the jigsaw needs to fit together first.

That doesn't read like it was intended as a joke. I think he said it and believed it. He has since made a comment I think (possibly in that Guardian article at the season's end) that he got a bit carried away earlier in the season with some of the things he said.

I'm afraid despite the stadium redevelopment that should be a massive catalyst for us, we are so far away from emulating Swansea/Stoke. I may have believed it could happen a year or two ago but I think we're more likely to return to L1 than go up as things stand. Where will we be in 5 years (or less than 4.5 years now)? Mid-table C'ship at best I reckon.

2 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

That doesn't read like it was intended as a joke. I think he said it and believed it. He has since made a comment I think (possibly in that Guardian article at the season's end) that he got a bit carried away earlier in the season with some of the things he said.

I'm afraid despite the stadium redevelopment that should be a massive catalyst for us, we are so far away from emulating Swansea/Stoke. I may have believed it could happen a year or two ago but I think we're more likely to return to L1 than go up as things stand. Where will we be in 5 years (or less than 4.5 years now)? Mid-table C'ship at best I reckon.

we all got carried away with the start we made,

3 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

If I remember rightly - it happened as a direct off the cuff reply to Darrell Clarke's answer as a bit of a joke. The quoted part is his expansion on that point that is intended to basically say that that's where we should be aiming for and that the infrastructure is falling into place to achieve it. That's how I interpreted it anyway.

Ultimately that has to be the aim, what's the point of all the development of the stadium and infrastructure if we're not aiming for the top flight.

I'm a little more optimistic than most, perhaps unwisely, but I believe we will get to the premier league in the next few years.

4 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I'm a little more optimistic than most, perhaps unwisely, but I believe we will get to the premier league in the next few years.

With LJ?

In theory it should be 'our turn' soon enough seeing as though nearly every club in the C'ship and many in L1 and even L2 have been there.

Just cannot see it under the current ownership, sadly.

Just now, Kid in the Riot said:

With LJ?

In theory it should be 'our turn' soon enough seeing as though nearly every club in the C'ship and many in L1 and even L2 have been there.

Just cannot see it under the current ownership, sadly.

I am - maybe more out of hope than expectation. 

I hope he's learned from his mistakes from last season, will avoid saying 'too much' in the media, play a settled side where possible and avoid singling players out (Moore, Magnússon).

Basically I'm banking on him being a far better manager from his experiences of last season. 

I admire his resilience, which was pretty remarkable really. Must've been incredibly tough being him in February.

Ability that can't be trained; attitude that can't be tamed.

Tomlin now and again ends up in situations where the team, coach and personal circumstances all align for him and he's dynamite.

But outside of this, he struggles to make an impact. And I think he ends up a bit of a difficult character when that happens.

For me; he's gone, so we move on.

Interesting co-incidence that someone on Twitter has just posted the average age of managers in the top leagues.... 

England 50

Germany 44

Italy 50

France 54

Spain 50

Reinforces the point over risks associated with appointing a young, inexperienced head coach/manager to lead us in to the top league - not helped by appointing young, inexperienced assistant coaches. 

Just hope there is an inner Eddie Howe somewhere in LJ which is ready to burst out! 

Still with him on the basis I want BCFC to succeed and he is our manager that the owner supports, and SL has far more contact with him and inside knowledge than I, but my patience is rapidly running out. 

1 hour ago, Richard Head said:

I was relating age to experience. The person who never made a mistake never made anything. I think we'll agree to differ on this one!

Yes I know you were.  However what you seem to imply is that Colin is in his 60's and that when Lee gets to that age he will be able to manage players as well as Colin can..  no chance IMO

1 minute ago, paulcityfan said:

Yes I know you were.  However what you seem to imply is that Colin is in his 60's and that when Lee gets to that age he will be able to manage players as well as Colin can..  no chance IMO

To be fair, that opinion is based on nothing but supposition. 

3 hours ago, downendcity said:

A few years back I was a sales manager with a financial services company and remember interviewing any number of advisers who were looking for the company that would enable them to fulfil their potential. It was their 4/5/6 previous companies and managers that had been the problem - nothing to do with the adviser.

Tomlin strikes me as a footballer with similar ambitions.

Spot on.

dysfunction.jpg.73736b6a47170feec9494ae290620d3d.jpg

1 hour ago, paulcityfan said:

What you think I'm implying is up to you mate. What I believe is that intelligence is not fixed, including emotional intelligence. As a senior manager (in education, not football!) I was learning all the time how to manage people. No one can guarantee how much someone learns and how it affects her/his behaviour. Neither of us knows how LJ will develop as a manager.

47 minutes ago, Robson said:

Have you got proof of when this statement was made?
I must have missed that.

I'll let you wade through the various reports on the OS or Evil Post.  Apologies but I don't have the time.

I've been in Cardiff today, just read the South Wales echo and the Tomlin transfer is very big news.

Warnock says Tomlin was his number one transfer target. It seems that he thought he would only get him on loan,  ( with a " substantial" loan payment ) but then "Bristol backed away" and the full transfer was done. 

Warnock also says that Tomlin was one of only three players that he put a man marker on last season.

9 hours ago, downendcity said:

A few years back I was a sales manager with a financial services company and remember interviewing any number of advisers who were looking for the company that would enable them to fulfil their potential. It was their 4/5/6 previous companies and managers that had been the problem - nothing to do with the adviser.

Tomlin strikes me as a footballer with similar ambitions.

A few years ago a couple moved in next door to us and immediately proclaimed that they`d lived in eight different houses and had had awful neighbours in each one.

Nothing to do with them of course.

Fortunately they only stayed for six months and no doubt told their new neighbours about what a nightmare we`d been.

20 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

A few years ago a couple moved in next door to us and immediately proclaimed that they`d lived in eight different houses and had had awful neighbours in each one.

Nothing to do with them of course.

Fortunately they only stayed for six months and no doubt told their new neighbours about what a nightmare we`d been.

I'd heard the same! :) 

Last season was a season of almost's for Tomlin. Almost made it into the first team and then didn't, almost managed to not be as fat as a moose and then didn't, almost got LJ fired with the penalty miss v Burton Albion and then didn't.

I reckon a motivated Lee Tomlin is still one of the very best No.10s in the Championship and if played in that role at Cardiff, I'm sure he will have games where he gets rave reviews.

That said, he is probably one of the worst options if you ask him to play left flank of midfield and track opposition runners back. There was clearly no love lost between LT & LJ, witnessed by the outburst at Huddersfield. 

Given we are stuck with LJ, for now at least, with some regret I think if we have more-or-less recouped the fee we paid and freed up  high wages, it was probably a good transfer deal done. 

5 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

I`d be interested to see a outsiders view of the transfer. Do fans of other clubs see it as good business for Cardiff or a good deal for us I wonder?

@pnefcok @Rascal @Owl Visiting @Southend Blue  

Any of you guys not on your holidays and have a view?

This. As I posted earlier in another thread, typically when a rival, especially a bitter one, signs supposedly your star player their fans are usually all over the forum having some 'banter'. I've read through all of the Tomlin related threads and I can't recall seeing any of the usual Cardiff visitors to our forum posting and gloating about "we're a feeder club", "you're doomed without him" etc. Their silence, on here at least, is deafening; and telling, I think. I can only presume that they're either all on holiday, or possibly think we've mugged them off on this deal?

19 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

I`d be interested to see a outsiders view of the transfer. Do fans of other clubs see it as good business for Cardiff or a good deal for us I wonder?

@pnefcok @Rascal @Owl Visiting @Southend Blue  

Any of you guys not on your holidays and have a view?

Fans of other clubs wouldn't necessarily know the full context - they might not know he was our highest earner, they might not know about the rumoured disruptive influence or bust up with LJ..

The most important thing in the Tomlin situation to fully have a view is the detailed context.

Archived