IGNORED

Tomlin to Cardiff - CONFIRMED

Ian M

1 minute ago, JustinCider said:

This. As I posted earlier in another thread, typically when a rival, especially a bitter one, signs supposedly your star player their fans are usually all over the forum having some 'banter'. I've read through all of the Tomlin related threads and I can't recall seeing any of the usual Cardiff visitors to our forum posting and gloating about "we're a feeder club", "you're doomed without him" etc. Their silence, on here at least, is deafening; and telling, I think. I can only presume that they're either all on holiday, or possibly think we've mugged them off on this deal?

On the other hand a very few of us would say, they have a great deal and have secured one of our players that has undoubted talent, can do things other players cant or wouldn't try to,

i.m.o the only reason he`s gone is; he had a row with the management. Its not about the money, he`s gone there to play football and will without doubt get more game time there than he did here.

21 hours ago, JustinCider said:

I don't know whether anyone has noticed or mentioned it, but I'm surprised we haven't had any visits from Cardiff fans gloating about signing our 'star' player. Their silence is deafening, make of that what you will.

They seem very pleased indeed with the signing & view Lee as the creative spark they have been missing/the filling of Whittinghams boots..

I for one will watch with interest,and expect Colin to get some sort of a tune..

4 minutes ago, glos old boy said:

On the other hand a very few of us would say, they have a great deal and have secured one of our players that has undoubted talent, can do things other players cant or wouldn't try to,

i.m.o the only reason he`s gone is; he had a row with the management. Its not about the money, he`s gone there to play football and will without doubt get more game time there than he did here.

He could have had a lot more game time here if he`d chosen to apply himself. I`m guessing you didn`t see his last few starts for us where he just strolled around not giving a toss. We improved so much as a team when he was dropped. 

I know you`re anti LJ and I respect your view but to blame the management for what anyone watching could see was a player who couldn`t be arsed most of the time is harsh.

We`ll see how he gets on over the bridge - I expect him to start well and be benched by November.

It is telling too that we haven`t had any of our friends from the principality on here gloating about stitching us up - I expect they`re not sure whether they`ve signed a good player or not either.

45 minutes ago, glos old boy said:

Come back for pre-season unfit and overweight?

Threaten to ***** lay out the manager in front of the home crowd?

You mean these  things that other players can't or wouldn't try to do.

12 minutes ago, Keyardiv said:

I think you're overthinking that a bit. I hardly ever see Cardiff posters on here and I rarely see reports on our board of incursions into rival sites these days.

The vast majority of posts I've seen on our board have been positive about this signing. Clearly this is a player whose head you need to get straight, but possesses the creativity we've sorely been missing for a few seasons. Slightly risky perhaps but In Warnock we trust. 

Both NW and Tomlin need to be given a bit of slack to "express" themselves....thus neither would do much good here due to "The Management" and "The Plan"

52 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

He could have had a lot more game time here if he`d chosen to apply himself. I`m guessing you didn`t see his last few starts for us where he just strolled around not giving a toss. We improved so much as a team when he was dropped. 

I know you`re anti LJ and I respect your view but to blame the management for what anyone watching could see was a player who couldn`t be arsed most of the time is harsh.

We`ll see how he gets on over the bridge - I expect him to start well and be benched by November.

It is telling too that we haven`t had any of our friends from the principality on here gloating about stitching us up - I expect they`re not sure whether they`ve signed a good player or not either.

We must have a fair few scouts out headhunting, surely they cannot be doing their highly paid jobs to bring in such a waste of space in and at great cost.

He wont be the first or last to have a bust up with the manager.. it takes 2 to have a row.

On 7/13/2017 at 22:11, redandy1 said:

LJ did get it wrong. He signed Tomlin, failed to get the best out of him and sold him. Who else is at fault.

If only everything in life was as simple as this statement.

A few years back we signed Tony Dinning on loan, & later as soon as we made it a permanent signing his performances dipped dramatically.

With Tomlin I think the impression is he was given a lot of (can I say) "Lee way" 

There is no doubt that everyone at the club tried to accommodate him but results suggest otherwise.

There is no doubting his qualities but it is the increasingly inconsistent performances which must have ultimately cost him his place.

I like the bloke but I like my club more.

If, as some posts have alluded, that his intellect is on the low end of the spectrum, then he can't be that thick. Iirc, he didn't request a transfer so he'll be entitled to around 8% (I think that's the norm) of any amount paid. If we assume it's based on £2.5m then he'll get £200,000. If it's only a 5% rate then it's £125,000. For instance, he can use it to pay off any mortgage or business outlay. Hats off to him!

It's is a massive amount he'll receive for just losing some weight. Who's having the last but very short laugh?

Has anyone else noticed that in a week of 2 threads that has aroused so much annoyance, there could be a connection? I give you the Tomlin conspiracy theory or the Ashtongategate.

FACT: He's gone.The club has been diplomatic about his leaving and something happened behind the scenes.  

FACT: The Henbury Gas thread was in full flow at the time of Tomlin's rumour of leaving. The club (Adam B) has denied there was an incident involving a disabled person who had a tooth loosened in the stand by a City fan (thanks Peg for your investagative journalism). It seems all the CCTV cameras were facing the wrong way or not switched on.

Fact: No other Club official has provided a statement to testify it happened to Geoff Twentyman. Yet Henbury Gas knows it happened. His friend has seen the evidence.

Fact: The Henbury Gas thread has now been locked without any reason and that it's been allegedly stated (read I can't be bothered to find exact link) that the Supporters Trust helps out so that advertising isn't needed to help fund this very site. Surely this can only mean a back-hander to keep those in the know quiet! 

What if the injured party couldn't recognise the difference between a fan wearing BCFC gear and a player?

The real reason for LT leaving is because it was allegedly him who caused the injury to HenburyGas' friend's mate.

Ashtongategate is here to stay. Anyone else with a conspiracy to prove the above,  please divulge.

Well, if nothing else, LT certainly gets people typing. Given his insatiable yearning to be the centre of attention, he must be delighted with the response (notwithstanding the fact that much of the thread is made up of some pretty damning - and largely deserved - criticism.) Fifteen pages so far and no doubt this topic still has quite a bit of mileage, especially as Norn Iron has now added a new dimension with Ashtongategate.

My first reaction to the news he was gone was one of muted disappointment. He was fun to watch - for a while. But as has been pointed out repeatedly, he belongs to a category of players with special skills but flawed temperament who invariably let you down in the end. They all move on, for various reasons, leaving behind a depressing sense of what-might-have-been and of talent wasted.

You pay a high price for the occasional stellar turn. Much as part me didn't want to see him go, if you examine the pros and cons in the cold light of day it's hard to argue against the decision to sell. It's true he can do things few others can, and that's an undeniable asset lost, but on balance the bloke's a high-maintenance liability whose attitude and lack of professionalism have a negative impact on team spirit and whose inconsistency means that the side has to carry him for long spells. His overall contribution last season bordered on the negligible and hardly anyone has sought to oppose the consensus that ultimately the team played better without him.

He will lap up the attention he'll get at his new club to start with, and my money would be on him playing out of his skin at first, but leopards don't change their spots. Ask any competent social scientist: there's a reason they quote at you the old, self-evident maxim: "the best predictor of future behaviour is past behaviour". He's somebody else's problem now, and when the honeymoon's over, you will almost certainly witness, as we did here, an asset transform itself into a liability. Colin's welcome to him.

2 hours ago, glos old boy said:

We must have a fair few scouts out headhunting, surely they cannot be doing their highly paid jobs to bring in such a waste of space in and at great cost.

He wont be the first or last to have a bust up with the manager.. it takes 2 to have a row.

We all saw LT at the end of the season before last and I suspect 90% of the fans wanted us to sign him permanently as a result. If the club hadn`t many people would have used that as a stick to beat certain individuals with as they are doing now. The club would have been accused by the usual suspects of lacking ambition, not having any desire to progress etc. and we would have had many `Lansdown, get your chequebook out` type posts. LJ would have been accused by some of being unable to attract the top players and as a result he should be sacked.

I strongly suspect you would have been among that group.

Damned if you do, damned if you don`t to some people. If we hadn`t shipped him out now and he`d started v Barnsley two stone overweight and been a complete liability then the club would have been slagged off for that by the same people who are now criticizing his sale.

9 hours ago, Swede said:

If only everything in life was as simple as this statement.

A few years back we signed Tony Dinning on loan, & later as soon as we made it a permanent signing his performances dipped dramatically.

With Tomlin I think the impression is he was given a lot of (can I say) "Lee way" 

There is no doubt that everyone at the club tried to accommodate him but results suggest otherwise.

There is no doubting his qualities but it is the increasingly inconsistent performances which must have ultimately cost him his place.

I like the bloke but I like my club more.

I guess LJ should've signed Tomlin, let him keep us up then not signed him despite all and sundry demanding it? 

On 15/07/2017 at 10:27, Red Right Hand said:

I`d be interested to see a outsiders view of the transfer. Do fans of other clubs see it as good business for Cardiff or a good deal for us I wonder?

@pnefcok @Rascal @Owl Visiting @Southend Blue  

Any of you guys not on your holidays and have a view?

Obviously I don't know anywhere near as much as you lot but here goes:

Having read through a lot of the thread this reminds me of a similar situation going on with us in Lewis McGugan. We signed him in 2015 not long after our takeover and after a successful loan spell. At that time he was our biggest signing in years and a lot of us couldn't believe we'd got him. Shortly after that we started throwing the cash around and in no time at all he'd slipped down the pecking order. He only made 11 appearances in his first season and despite a few brilliant goals it was clear Carlos didn't rate him. Then rumours started to circulate that he'd refused to play in a particular position and since then he hasn't kicked a ball for us. Last season he wasn't even given a squad number and think he only made a couple of appearances for the development side. 

The situation has divided the fans because some believe he has the ability to be playing regularly and that Carlos is being stubborn refusing to give him another chance. Others point out that he's fallen out with the management/owners at every other club he's been at and is clearly happy to sit at home on matchdays collecting a wage and turning down loan moves. 

Obviously things haven't gone anywhere near this far with Tomlin, but if there's been a fallout and Johnson has decided he's no longer in his plans then it's probably the right time to get your money back on him rather than his contract running down and him leaving on a free (like McGugan is going to). It's never a nice feeling selling a player to a local rival though. 

McGugan is available on a free by the way. :ph34r:

28 minutes ago, Owl Visiting said:

Obviously I don't know anywhere near as much as you lot but here goes:

Having read through a lot of the thread this reminds me of a similar situation going on with us in Lewis McGugan. We signed him in 2015 not long after our takeover and after a successful loan spell. At that time he was our biggest signing in years and a lot of us couldn't believe we'd got him. Shortly after that we started throwing the cash around and in no time at all he'd slipped down the pecking order. He only made 11 appearances in his first season and despite a few brilliant goals it was clear Carlos didn't rate him. Then rumours started to circulate that he'd refused to play in a particular position and since then he hasn't kicked a ball for us. Last season he wasn't even given a squad number and think he only made a couple of appearances for the development side. 

The situation has divided the fans because some believe he has the ability to be playing regularly and that Carlos is being stubborn refusing to give him another chance. Others point out that he's fallen out with the management/owners at every other club he's been at and is clearly happy to sit at home on matchdays collecting a wage and turning down loan moves. 

Obviously things haven't gone anywhere near this far with Tomlin, but if there's been a fallout and Johnson has decided he's no longer in his plans then it's probably the right time to get your money back on him rather than his contract running down and him leaving on a free (like McGugan is going to). It's never a nice feeling selling a player to a local rival though. 

McGugan is available on a free by the way. :ph34r:

I believe he had a trial down Cardiff before they went for Tomlin.

On ‎14‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 15:10, BobBobSuperBob said:

You seem to doubt what @BigTone has said

Is this the 'proof' you wanted  ?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40365441

Not too taxing to find

Thank you for this.

The head coach added: "I signed Lee Tomlin because I wanted to build around him and I believed in the talent and the personality."

'wanted' being the key word there.

5 hours ago, Robson said:

Thank you for this.

The head coach added: "I signed Lee Tomlin because I wanted to build around him and I believed in the talent and the personality."

'wanted' being the key word there.

I wanted a pony as a kid . Never got it 

To sum up then.....i.m.o.

• about 4 weeks ago he was the dogs wotsits and LJ was singing his praises on the beeb
  • the travelling time to training is now cited as a major reason for the transfer, even though there are reports of LT having a flat in Bristol at some stage.
  • the alledged on/off field spats with LJ are also a said to be a reason
  • LT has also been on official vids saying everything is fine and running smooth
  • LT has also been in official vids in hotel room with club captain having a laugh and a joke while talking about the squad, despite some fans insisting players and LT don't get on.
  • We have sold an undoubted talented footballer to a rival ........ only LT and LJ knows the real reason why. THE END.

2 hours ago, glos old boy said:

• about 4 weeks ago he was the dogs wotsits and LJ was singing his praises on the beeb
  • the travelling time to training is now cited as a major reason for the transfer, even though there are reports of LT having a flat in Bristol at some stage.
  • LT has also been on official vids saying everything is fine and running smooth
  • LT has also been in official vids in hotel room with club captain having a laugh and a joke while talking about the squad, despite some fans insisting players and LT don't get on.
  • We have sold an undoubted talented footballer to a rival ........ only LT and LJ knows the real reason why. THE END.

Oh come on, we all know the reason why.  He didn't fit in, he rocked the boat, and he was a disruptive influence.  He had to go.  Cardiff were prepared to take the risk when other clubs weren't, so he went to Cardiff.  THE END?

4 hours ago, glos old boy said:

That's your version of a summing up, heavily distorted by a relentless anti-LJ agenda.

Here's mine: Tomlin was an indisputably talented but underperforming and ill-disciplined player who ultimately turned out to be more far trouble than he was worth.

The end.

Archived