IGNORED

The official Torquay United FC v Bristol City FC pre-season friendly match day thread

Septic Peg

Morning folks.

Well well well. A morning of rumours and Twitter is running faster than Usain Bolt with a tailwind.

Is Tomlin off to join Colin? Time will tell. Looked happy enough on Sunday but was named in the squad last night but didn't get even a minute... make what you will of that...

So Tor-key. A club currently doing a Blackpool and dropping down the leagues. A myriad of takeovers, staffing changes and board member switcheroos, has left Torquay in a precarious situation, the latest battle alleging the new owners buying the ground from the council and turning it into housing... sound familiar eh Wael?

I have a special affinity with Torquay, namely as I resided in Devon during my Uni years, a good friend of mine was a Torquay fan and we had eons of banter and lastly, Torquay were the only opponents  I ever saw at AG with my late old man. It was one of those quid a kid nights and we sat in the Williams iirc. Was a 1st round in the Checkatrophy/LDV/can't remember what it was called then... we won comfortably though. 

Also, expect to see a certain gashead reject on the field for the Gulls tonight. Mr Jake Gosling signed for Torquay at the beginning of last month...

I think this one might not be a comfy win. So will go with a 2-1 to City. Bobby with a brace. 

Come on you reds...

LJ letting all the kids (and Golbs & Diego) have a run out tonight. Here's the 20 man squad...

City squad: Alhaji Sesay, Jack Stanley, Scott Golbourne, Taylor Moore, Zak Vyner, Aaron Parsons, Aden Baldwin, George Nurse, Opi Edwards, Ashley Harper, Harvey Smith, Joe Morrell, James Morton, Tom Richards, George Dowling, Jonny Smith, Diego De Girolamo, Jake Andrews, Kel Akpobire, Freddie Hinds

2 hours ago, Septic Peg said:

LJ letting all the kids (and Golbs & Diego) have a run out tonight. Here's the 20 man squad...

City squad: Alhaji Sesay, Jack Stanley, Scott Golbourne, Taylor Moore, Zak Vyner, Aaron Parsons, Aden Baldwin, George Nurse, Opi Edwards, Ashley Harper, Harvey Smith, Joe Morrell, James Morton, Tom Richards, George Dowling, Jonny Smith, Diego De Girolamo, Jake Andrews, Kel Akpobire, Freddie Hinds

Like the fact that in previous seasons we've been advised which were Under-21/23's friendly matches when the fixtures were announced.

****** hate the fact that we now advise the previous evening of that intention, once supporters plans to attend have been put in place.

Absolute belter City - one for the 'Fans Liaison Officer' to ponder. The 'Continuous Improvement' Club ethic clearly doesn't apply to fan relations. 

Totally agree with lack of communication regarding the intent of playing U23's. I got suspicious of this when in LJ's post match comments last week he made no reference to Torquay game when asked if Diedhiou would be available - he only said that he wouldn't be ready for Bath and that hopefully he would be ok for Yeovil - clearly the decision to play U23's had already been made!

Surely it also devalues the game for Torquay fans and doesn't stand us in good light when their fans turn up expecting to see some of our first team!

5 minutes ago, Denbury Red said:

Totally agree with lack of communication regarding the intent of playing U23's. I got suspicious of this when in LJ's post match comments last week he made no reference to Torquay game when asked if Diedhiou would be available - he only said that he wouldn't be ready for Bath and that hopefully he would be ok for Yeovil - clearly the decision to play U23's had already been made!

Surely it also devalues the game for Torquay fans and doesn't stand us in good light when their fans turn up expecting to see some of our first team!

Probably, somewhat churlishly, getting our own back for them not playing our centre-forward when we loaned him to them. 

Pity, several Torquay fans I know were quite looking forward to this match. 

Anyhow, don't begrudge giving Torquay FC a tenner - although a pity their new owners will be pocketing it. Just would have preferred to have done it watching them play a competitive, Conference game. 

Sure City won't let us down though and will provide some recompense be it the form of brilliant entertainment, a new signing introduction or a free pint or three. 

40 minutes ago, Moor2Sea said:

Probably, somewhat churlishly, getting our own back for them not playing our centre-forward when we loaned him to them. 

Pity, several Torquay fans I know were quite looking forward to this match. 

Anyhow, don't begrudge giving Torquay FC a tenner - although a pity their new owners will be pocketing it. Just would have preferred to have done it watching them play a competitive, Conference game. 

Sure City won't let us down though and will provide some recompense be it the form of brilliant entertainment, a new signing introduction or a free pint or three. 

Agree with helping Torquay out with a tenner or three in my case - it's just a shame that we couldn't split the squad to show them what a Championship side with ambitions looks like!

Plus, living in Devon, don't want friends from work thinking their team have one over on us - even if it is an U23 team!

1 hour ago, Moor2Sea said:

Like the fact that in previous seasons we've been advised which were Under-21/23's friendly matches when the fixtures were announced.

****** hate the fact that we now advise the previous evening of that intention, once supporters plans to attend have been put in place.

Absolute belter City - one for the 'Fans Liaison Officer' to ponder. The 'Continuous Improvement' Club ethic clearly doesn't apply to fan relations. 

Entirely agree. I might still have decided to go to the game, as it's an opportunity to take my Brixham-resident father-in-law to a match. But it would have been nice to make an informed decision about whether I chose to organise my week to be able to get to the game. You wouldn't expect a full strength 11 for the whole of a friendly, but you'd  think there would be a few more first teamers in the squad!

As I go to see Torquay a couple of times a season when I'm down here I'll probably be in the unusual position of being more familiar with our opponents than I am with the City team! 

8 hours ago, Septic Peg said:

So Tor-key. A club currently doing a Blackpool and dropping down the leagues. A myriad of takeovers, staffing changes and board member switcheroos, has left Torquay in a precarious situation, the latest battle alleging the new owners buying the ground from the council and turning it into housing..

I have a special affinity with Torquay,

Torquay owner(s) is / are the guy(s) who own Gaming International which is trying ALLEGEDLY to turn Swindon Speedway's track into housing and will only then build a replacement track. GI have an ALLEGED history of this activity elsewhere. Rumour is that TUFC will ground share with Truro. 85 miles away, slightly longer than City sharing with Exeter!

I also have an affinity for Torquay. In my early teens, the family used to stay in Brixham every Easter. Special busses ran from Brixham to Plainmoor for the games. Remember TUFC used to kick off at 7.30 pm on Saturdays as they realised they might attract a few holiday makers along to their games. I showed my BCFC Supporter's Club book and they allowed me in their club for a pre match beer.

16 minutes ago, 22A said:

Torquay owner(s) is / are the guy(s) who own Gaming International which is trying ALLEGEDLY to turn Swindon Speedway's track into housing and will only then build a replacement track. GI have an ALLEGED history of this activity elsewhere. Rumour is that TUFC will ground share with Truro. 85 miles away, slightly longer than City sharing with Exeter!

I also have an affinity for Torquay. In my early teens, the family used to stay in Brixham every Easter. Special busses ran from Brixham to Plainmoor for the games. Remember TUFC used to kick off at 7.30 pm on Saturdays as they realised they might attract a few holiday makers along to their games. I showed my BCFC Supporter's Club book and they allowed me in their club for a pre match beer.

Yes, the Truro co-chair - Pete Masters - "facilitated" the deal (that was the word used) and was clearly interested himself.  There was a possible ground share of Truro at Torquay this season owing to Truro moving grounds.

Archived