IGNORED

Why are people obsessed with Ollie Watkins?

Lrrr

As someone who has never watched him play can someone tell me why a lot of people on here seem to be obsessed that we should be signing him? Just initial glance about him, at 21 (a few months older than Engvall) he has a 1 in 4 scoring rate in league 2, hardly makes him stand out... When we were loaning Joe, Bobby and Wes at that age they were the best players in the division or playing at a higher standard. Secondly Exeter appear to want at least £2m for him, just nothing about him appears to show value for that sort of money. Even if he can push on will he really become a good championship player? Outlaying £2m plus you'd more likely be expecting to buy someone who would have an immediate impact or could go on to play a higher standard and be sold on for profit. Personally I'd rather see Gustav given a better chance.

17 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Friend of mine is an Exeter fan and believes he is good enough for the Championship, having watched him week in week out, and also watched a lot of City too.  That's good enough for me.

Its funny because when we have been linked with players in the past I tend to look at their current clubs forum to gain a perspective. Whether its league 1 or 2 their fans assume that their best players can do well in the championship after watching a few games if not any at all in the championship.

Championship clubs have been linked with him but im not sure they would be able to offer enough game time especially if the asking price is as high as 2mill. I saw him in both games against Carlisle and although making a few mistakes, he was definately the most creative player on the pitch. Did your mate say whether he thinks they can keep him or not?

I guess because we've missed the boat with a few localish players who've gone onto better things - Matt Grimes for example - and people don't want to see us miss another.

I wouldn't read exclusively into stats, I get the impression he's more of a number 10 creative type than a goalscorer like Abraham. I've seen him a few times and he looks like the type of player who will play at a higher level, but I personally would be a bit disappointed if we invest the figures being quoted in him. I think the money could be spent better elsewhere.

If it were £1m for example, probably a better deal but you can't blame Exeter for wanting to make money from their assets.

It would also be a big risk for Johnson. Say we sell Tomlin for £2m+ this week and spend a similar amount on Watkins - it puts a huge amount of pressure on Watkins to be an immediate success. Johnson was criticised for spending too much on 'ones for the future' and not playing them. If we bought in Watkins, he's in and out of the team like O'Dowda and we are playing badly - it's another stick to beat Johnson with.

If it were me, I would try and get him - but for a far lower price. I think he's worth investing in but not for those figures with all things considered.

I have watched Ollie quite a few times this season. He is a fantastic prospect, but I do not think he would necessarily fit our style of play. He is an attacking midfielder/shadowstriker who often plays off a target man who can hold up the ball- this was Reuben Reid this season. He makes runs to the flanks to stretch the defence and is capable of good finishes himself. Go to 0:51 of the Wycombe game to see Ollie on the right flank, drifting from his role to initiate an excellent pass that (eventually) resulted in a goal. Keep watching the clip to see Ollie once again drift to the right flank to create an assist. He is not doing this as a winger- he has freedom of the entire attacking third and finds space excellently. Combined with Reuben's experience and ability to make time for Ollie to make these runs, the combination could be very effective  I think the most apt comparison would be with Bobby Reid, only with the ability to finish. He scores the final goal too, hilariously taking the ball off the Wycombe defender.

I was at this game, and when Ollie came on in the 60th minute with the score at 1-1, he changed the game. There was a real buzz whenever he got the ball, and this has been a recurring theme whenever his is playing. He is still raw and has his off days, but this is to be expected. I think the Championship would be a huge leap for him, and any team taking that risk need to realise they have someone capable of excellence if he is nurtured and given the confidence to round out his inconsistencies. (while nowhere near Ethan Ampadu, who Chelsea have just snapped up).

I'm happy to answer anything about Ollie- obviously my view is only subjective but having seen him play he deserves most of the hype around him.

1 hour ago, Super said:

No idea. Only saw him in the playoff final tbh and he was shocking.

Ran the show in the Play-off semi's though, couple of great games vs Carlisle.

However I would say the pressure of a play-off final can make the best of players crumble...

But worth 2 million? Absolutely not. 21 years old, still a lot to prove before commanding such a fee

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

If it were me, I would try and get him - but for a far lower price. I think he's worth investing in but not for those figures with all things considered.

One of those deals with so much now plus extra for each goal and more if promotion is secured?

1 hour ago, Newquay-Red said:

I have watched Ollie quite a few times this season. He is a fantastic prospect, but I do not think he would necessarily fit our style of play. He is an attacking midfielder/shadowstriker who often plays off a target man who can hold up the ball- this was Reuben Reid this season. He makes runs to the flanks to stretch the defence and is capable of good finishes himself. Go to 0:51 of the Wycombe game to see Ollie on the right flank, drifting from his role to initiate an excellent pass that (eventually) resulted in a goal. Keep watching the clip to see Ollie once again drift to the right flank to create an assist. He is not doing this as a winger- he has freedom of the entire attacking third and finds space excellently. Combined with Reuben's experience and ability to make time for Ollie to make these runs, the combination could be very effective  I think the most apt comparison would be with Bobby Reid, only with the ability to finish. He scores the final goal too, hilariously taking the ball off the Wycombe defender.

I was at this game, and when Ollie came on in the 60th minute with the score at 1-1, he changed the game. There was a real buzz whenever he got the ball, and this has been a recurring theme whenever his is playing. He is still raw and has his off days, but this is to be expected. I think the Championship would be a huge leap for him, and any team taking that risk need to realise they have someone capable of excellence if he is nurtured and given the confidence to round out his inconsistencies. (while nowhere near Ethan Ampadu, who Chelsea have just snapped up).

I'm happy to answer anything about Ollie- obviously my view is only subjective but having seen him play he deserves most of the hype around him.

So would likely need to play up top with Djuric? 

2 minutes ago, Newquay-Red said:

I would say so, yes. He is lightweight and would get bullied by experienced Championship defenders. He is often isolated when up front by himself

I could only see him fighting with Taylor for a place as third choice and that's assuming Engvall won't be around. Can't see us stumping up that amount for at best third choice. 

On ‎13‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 16:21, Rob k said:

I see Brentford are sniffing about and know which scouts I trust for taking decent players from the lower leagues out of ours and theirs!!

I think City have scouts who know what a decent lower league prospect looks like but it's then up to the coaching team whether City pursue their recommendations - Alfie Mawson for example.

For all we know, our scouts have been banging on about Watkins for ages but someone higher up the chain of command has decided the price being asked by Exeter isn't value for money - they're the ones you need to be questioning because, like you, I suspect this kid will go on to have a decent career.

Then again, maybe he's just not the type of player we're after right now because, in essence, he's Bobby Reid and we've got more than enough of those already?

On 12/07/2017 at 16:35, hodge said:

As someone who has never watched him play can someone tell me why a lot of people on here seem to be obsessed that we should be signing him? Just initial glance about him, at 21 (a few months older than Engvall) he has a 1 in 4 scoring rate in league 2, hardly makes him stand out... When we were loaning Joe, Bobby and Wes at that age they were the best players in the division or playing at a higher standard. Secondly Exeter appear to want at least £2m for him, just nothing about him appears to show value for that sort of money. Even if he can push on will he really become a good championship player? Outlaying £2m plus you'd more likely be expecting to buy someone who would have an immediate impact or could go on to play a higher standard and be sold on for profit. Personally I'd rather see Gustav given a better chance.

He usually plays in more of a deeper role and has come of the bench a fair few times so that ain't too bad stats for a 21 year old. Hasn't shown up in big games but 2m isn't a lot in today's market and we could easily make double that if he's average at this level

Archived