IGNORED

Season preview from a Bristol City perspective

oneBoro

Hey,

We're running a feature on oneBoro (Middlesbrough FC blog & forum) previewing each club ahead of the new season. It'd be great to get some input from a Bristol City point of view if anyone would be interested in answering the following questions...

What are your thoughts ahead of the new season?
What position do you think you'll finish?
Which player(s) will be key for you?
Which fixtures are you looking forward to?

Thank you in advance, and good luck this season :thumbsup:

Hi mate,

For me I'm very much looking forward to the season, after scraping through last season it's great to have a fresh start. I think the players we currently have at the club are a season wiser and also the back end of season form was excellent so I'm hoping with a few new additions we will be looking  at a solid season.

I think we will finish around 14th this season and have a pretty quiet and easy season. Never in threat of play offs or relegation. 

I think our most important player this year will be Famara who we have spent £5 million on and therefore needs to hit the ground running and get a few early goals. Also at the moment he's looking like our main goal threat so obviously key to a good season.

Really looking forward to Sunderland away as never been to their ground. 

8 hours ago, oneBoro said:

A- What are your thoughts ahead of the new season?

B - What position do you think you'll finish?

C- Which player(s) will be key for you?

D- Which fixtures are you looking forward to?

A -

My thoughts revolve around two big questions, really.  

First is; was our decent opening/closing form last season or the record losing run the 'true' Bristol City under Lee Johnson?  And second is; are the players we have now better than those at this point last season?

I don't think we'll know the answer till we kick back off, but I am worried that after the large-scale recruitment last term, much of the squad is the same, and unless the existing group improve notably (which is possible) we shouldn't expect a huge improvement.

B -

Heart; 11th-8th (if everything 'clicks')

Head; 19th-15th (too many teams who look to have got their shit together this year compared to last, and stronger returnees from the Prem/arrivals from League One)

C - 

Diedhiou, without question.  Tammy Abraham was a revelation, and the season before Jonathan Kodjia's contribution was crucial in keeping us up.  We've lent heavily on a single, potent goal scorer each season we've been back at this level, and think we'll need to once more.

Equally, I think either Flint (if he stays) or Wright, or both will be crucial to how we progress; the arrival of the latter coincided with a bit of a back-to-basics approach at the back, which I think we need to maintain in order to survive again this year.

And as always; Korey Smith will be crucial, if he can stay fit (and he's already limped off in a friendly, unfortunately).  Believe we missed him in the early part of last year, even when getting good results, and makes us both more resilient and also more dynamic when he plays.  If he can avoid (or guess I should I say avoided now) another long term knock, he could be vital to us actually establishing ourselves at this level.

D - 

Cardiff (double dose of revenge required this year), Villa (I have several friends who support them, so that's a personal one), Sunderland (never been there; want to) and Wolves (be lovely if we can do them over after their spending the GDP of a small nation on their agent friend's clients). 

Good luck to Boro for the season; decent bunch of fans and a well run club - fancy you for top two.

9 hours ago, oneBoro said:

Hey,

We're running a feature on oneBoro (Middlesbrough FC blog & forum) previewing each club ahead of the new season. It'd be great to get some input from a Bristol City point of view if anyone would be interested in answering the following questions...

For what its worth and the wrath I'll get back!

Long hard season of struggle ahead with a coach who I doubt knows his best team and/or formation. Considerably weaker at the present time than we were at the end last season.

Somewhere in the bottom 3

The new guy up front has to hit the ground running or goals will be in short supply. We need at least better players than last season at left back, centre back and centre mid, at the moment we don't

Sunderland away, not been there, and your place as I was there last time and we won!!

9 hours ago, oneBoro said:

Hey,

1. Try and be positive. 

2. 16th. (There, that's being positive).

3. The ones we are yet to sign (is that positive, or desperate?)

4. Boro, tends to yield a few points for us. Other than this, I'm looking forward to Barnsley at home in a couple of weeks, and no further than that (oh dear, that's not being very positive).

A - I reckon a solid mid table finish would be fine for next season, we have improved on the positions that desperately needed improving and a few more signings to provide depth should see us in good stead.

B - 14th

C - Diedhiou will have to prove himself and if he does he will be key.

D - Cardiff away obviously, Villa at home should be decent but really I'm just looking forward to Barnsley at home to see where about we are squad wise.

1 minute ago, JBFC II said:

A - I reckon a solid mid table finish would be fine for next season, we have improved on the positions that desperately needed improving and a few more signings to provide depth should see us in good stead.

B - 14th

C - Diedhiou will have to prove himself and if he does he will be key.

D - Cardiff away obviously, Villa at home should be decent but really I'm just looking forward to Barnsley at home to see where about we are squad wise.

I'm sorry I just don't see it!

Famara is unproven to replace Tammy who was a goal machine, admittedly Famara could turn out the same, he could also be another Engvall we will have to wait and see.

The Italian is completely unproven at this level, could be a pay day move for him who knows?

Apart from that we have not improved the Keeper, left back, Centre back (Look at a lot of conceded goals last year) or centre mid!

First 3 questions. Ask me again a few days before the season starts. Still a lot of players to come and go in all squads in this division and it's difficult enough to predict how teams will do in the championship without not knowing who'll be playing for who! (For what it's worth, I think we'll do OK, but not great)

Fixtures I'm looking forward to: Both Sheffield clubs away (that's where I live), Barnsley away (that's where I work) and Leeds away (lived there for a long time). Hopefully will get to Boro away too as my wife's family are from up that way. Should get to Ashton Gate a few times too, but which games will depend on family more than who we're playing!

On 13/07/2017 at 10:06, chipdawg said:

First 3 questions. Ask me again a few days before the season starts. Still a lot of players to come and go in all squads in this division and it's difficult enough to predict how teams will do in the championship without not knowing who'll be playing for who! (For what it's worth, I think we'll do OK, but not great)

Fixtures I'm looking forward to: Both Sheffield clubs away (that's where I live), Barnsley away (that's where I work) and Leeds away (lived there for a long time). Hopefully will get to Boro away too as my wife's family are from up that way. Should get to Ashton Gate a few times too, but which games will depend on family more than who we're playing!

looking forward to sheffield great weekend west st maggie mays an Bestibies

On 12/07/2017 at 23:43, oneBoro said:

At the moment, we are still short by a player or two. I am not sure we are heading in the right direction, but will love to be proved wrong.

I have no clue ! I hope we can finish higher mid table, I fear we might have another struggle unless the young players step up and continue in the same style we finished the season in.
Diedhiou , if he hits the ground running it could be key. The keeper , whoever that may be, along with Flint and his partner, again whoever that may be.
Not many now, the one's I was looking forward too , I can't get to. I would say Cardiff but no doubt that will be a bubble game.

I apologise for the seeming defeatist attitude , my initial excitement over FD's and Pisano's signing has waned a little and as things stand we could start the season with one fit striker, and one who has never played in this country let alone this level.

Never mind, another new player, a 5-0 Vs Twenty :yes: and I'll feel a whole lot better.

On 13/07/2017 at 11:16, downendcity said:

For this season my hope is that Major Isewater goes bust, due to their being no demand for his squeaky bum oil.

sadly if BCFC supporter you need MISBO and it is a relief

A - Very hard to judge, last 2 seasons we have had a goalscorer who hit the ground running, if Diedhiou does not fire, looks like we will have problems scoring.

B - My guess as things stand, 15th - 21st, hoping that if things don't go well, there are 3 teams worse than us.

C - Diedhiou and Flint

D - Sunderland A, new ground. Smoggies A - Night in Darlo and we have a good record there. Wolves A, love the Great Western and we last won there on 28/3/31, (Useless stat, on that day William Shatner was 6 days old) 19 unsuccessful visits since then.

On 12/07/2017 at 23:43, oneBoro said:

It will be a continuation of our standard historical record, i.e/we will end somewhere in the bottom third and hope not to be relegated.

17th.

Flint, Diedhoeu.

Millwall and Sunderland away.

I realistically think that we're going to be at the low end of the table. There's a gulf between teams nowadays and I honestly can't see us beating teams like Boro (even though we do every year), Villa, Wolves, Fulham, Sunderland and Birmingham this year.

i think we'll be top of our small group of teams, so probably 17th, with Sheffield Utd, Milwall, Burton, Forest, Cardiff etc below us (not in that order)

Realistically, at the moment I think we'll struggle. We survived by the skin of our teeth last season and we actually have a weaker squad now than we did then imo. More signings are needed, and at the moment a finish of around 12th-15th without any real danger of relegation would be a result.  

I reckon we'll finish 19th. 

Key players will be Famara (who simply has to fire for us to do much) and Korey Smith. We're a much better team when Smith is playing well. 

I'm looking forward to Villa away and Milwall at the Gate..... it's been years since we've had the 'pleasure' of playing them! 

I'm hoping City will finish in the top ten, but at the moment I don't feel that we've made the signings to really push for this.  BCFC need to grow in the Championship and I'd love City to battle for the play-offs ideally within 2 seasons.  Whether the club share this ethos, I don't know.  This season, I'd see us finishing 15th, unless we weave some more magic in the window.

As others have said, the key player for City will be Famara Diedhou - and we'd need him to score at least 15+ goals to warrant our highest transfer fee.

Based on the Tomlin transfer this week, I'm looking forwards to playing and beating Cardiff twice!

And for what it's worth, I'd love another double of 1-0 wins of Boro!

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

....still at Chelsea too, and no more than a girl's name on this forum to many of us, me included....there were a few on here like @Shtanley that knew all about him.

The joys of only having Eurosport at home as a university student. He'd constantly be scoring in the UEFA youth league and the first time I saw him I thought he looked like an interesting striker.

Archived