IGNORED

Naturally Gifted

mozo

So we saw Tomlin do some things with a football that very few City players have in history. Where does he rank in our list of natural talents?

I'm not talking best players per se, but the gifted ones like Jacki, JET and Adomah (and Junior Bent, of course)

problem is you can be gifted as in Jacki,Jet and Tomlin but unless you can be relied on game after game you become a problem.It can be no coincidence that Tomlin will start next season as a new boy in his fifth season running or that Jet cannot nail down a place in a regular team. We all love entertainers but the game is about winning and only consistancy does that

1 hour ago, mozo said:

So we saw Tomlin do some things with a football that very few City players have in history. Where does he rank in our list of natural talents?

I'm not talking best players per se, but the gifted ones like Jacki, JET and Adomah (and Junior Bent, of course)

And the most gifted ever to put on a City shirt Jantzen Derrick. 

3 minutes ago, Glyn Rileys Mullet said:

In my history of watching city it has to be Walsh or Tinion.  Gifted and consistent 

If it's based on being gifted and consistent then, for me, it has to be Sir Alan Walsh. Brian was great but Alan was slightly better.

In my opinion we got far more from JET than we did from Tomlin (or Jacki for that matter). Yes JET faded out of games at times and looked sluggish when not on form, but his goals record was pretty good from memory and overall he was a bit more consistent. He also seemed to be a much more positive character in the dressing room. 

11 minutes ago, Offside said:

In my opinion we got far more from JET than we did from Tomlin (or Jacki for that matter). Yes JET faded out of games at times and looked sluggish when not on form, but his goals record was pretty good from memory and overall he was a bit more consistent. He also seemed to be a much more positive character in the dressing room. 

Worth remembering that was at a lower level. JET is league one at best 

It depends on your definition of gifted. If it's a gifted goalkeeper, then it's Mike Gibson.  Fullback is Clive Whitehead. Central defender is Geoff Merrick. Midfield is Brian Tinnion. Winger is Clive Whitehead (again). Goal scoring forward must be John Atyeo.  For sheer entertainment it must be Baz Savage

30 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

It depends on your definition of gifted. If it's a gifted goalkeeper, then it's Mike Gibson.  Fullback is Clive Whitehead. Central defender is Geoff Merrick. Midfield is Brian Tinnion. Winger is Clive Whitehead (again). Goal scoring forward must be John Atyeo.  For sheer entertainment it must be Baz Savage

Pound for pound natural talent?

Our legends fall into 2 categories - 1 tremendously gifted, totally flawed - generally recruited in times of great need who quell the famine  or loyal talents who perform consistently over several seasons. I prefer the latter - Walsh, Tinnion etc.

Tomlin sounds a bit like McGeady to be honest. Immensely talented but hasn't always done himself justice.

Grayson got the best out of McGeady last season but the rumours coming out seem to be that he wasn't particularly liked by staff at the club and caused problems behind the scenes.

He has now followed Grayson to Sunderland so we'll have to wait and see if he does well again this season.

The game has changed, you only have to look at the way its played and hard working players that do the role they are given are much more the flavour than mavericks.

People gave Skuse and other of his ilk a lot of stick but he was constantly described in that mold, hard working and intelligent capable of actually doing what a manager wanted rather than playing like hes the only one on the team.

In the fast paced modern game while the mavericks still have the keys to unlock a defence they end up being passengers when they don't have the ball and the game simply passes them by.

14 hours ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

And the most gifted ever to put on a City shirt Jantzen Derrick. 

Ah, now we're talking talented City players. When on song, it was sheer delight to watch Jantzen. When not, at least we had ten others who would do his work and "look after him" in the nicest possible way.

Tomlin, JET, Jacki and a few others are similar but the big difference now is that the great majority of teams, cannot cope with their off days. As a left winger, Jantzen could stand on the touchline and watch the world go by, but the game is so different now that such players are a noticeable burden on the rest and the opposition are much cuter at taking advantage. 

Tommo gave us a few great moments but I feel that this coming season, we will be a better unit with a more even work rate among the eleven on the pitch.

Has to be Jacki..............Even John Motson observed that he was from another "Planet", followed very closely by a young Andy Cole, who was electric and head & shoulders above anyone on the pitch during his time here...............especially during his initial loan period, when he was outstanding

On 13/07/2017 at 18:38, mozo said:

Don't forget Bas Savage, king of the stepover.

On 7/13/2017 at 22:58, glastonred said:

Lee Trundle

Never...OK very talented, but again not a team player....only one that can I can say without any fear of contradiction, to be the best Bristol City stalwart, the most talented, the most engaging, the most intelligent, and a goal scoring machine that had few rivals, I give you the one and only.

JOHN ATYEO, I was lucky enough as a kid to see him play, home and away back then, that team he played in was unforgettable, so much so I will never forget Gibson Briggs Thresher  Parr Connor Low Derrick Clark Big John Williams Hooper.. How that team never played in the top flight I will ever know.

On 2017-7-13 at 22:34, shelts said:

An easy one . Jacki . Proper maverick. Liked a drink . Liked the women. Didn't score many. Never played loads of games . Lit up Ashton Gate. Polish playboy . 

Worth every penny of every pound that i paid to watch him. Class.

Archived