IGNORED

warnocks finest hour

where's the joy

thank you neil warnock for sorting out the cancer in our team.

how wondrous tomlin appeared when first he came to us and then how poor he went on to become.

he had us on the edge of our seats, then tipped us into a relegation battle as little lee tried to build a formation to work around him, and failed.... and failed again.

if we got our money back then thats brilliant and the thought that he might play as badly for cardiff as he did for us is a nice one.

a penalty hit so hard against the upright at sheffield wednesday that it rebounded out to the centre circle seemed to be the turning point.

tomlins demise perhaps began then.

we shall miss his outrageous skill and flashes of genius but not his overall contribution through our slump of slumps

time to forgive, forget and move on  

I'd say that Tomlin's found most consistency  for us on the bench....which is where he is likely to be again by Christmas.

Not hungry enough to prove his doubters and not good enough at this level. The Championship is about 95 mins per game at 100% effort. 5 minutes of breathtaking brilliance every five games is no use to a team....

If Warnock gets much out of him then good luck...but I wouldn't hold my breath and forget building a team around him, he won't even notice them!

1 hour ago, BerkeleyBAred said:

I'd say that Tomlin's found most consistency  for us on the bench....which is where he is likely to be again by Christmas.

Not hungry enough to prove his doubters and not good enough at this level. The Championship is about 95 mins per game at 100% effort. 5 minutes of breathtaking brilliance every five games is no use to a team....

If Warnock gets much out of him then good luck...but I wouldn't hold my breath and forget building a team around him, he won't even notice them!

Mmmm.......let's revisit that around December fella

3 hours ago, BerkeleyBAred said:

Too hungry, surely?

While I'd criticise Tomlin for poor fitness, which he looks to have improved, the blame for our bad form during THAT spell cannot be laid at his door alone. In fact at a time when player were going missing, and if you think back to occasions when we had throw in's, and it looked like our entire team had left the pitch there were so few options, Tomlin was ALWAYS available. 
He tried to get things going, he never shied away from receiving the ball when others hid. That run put paid to his involvement, we came out the other side when LJ accidentally stumbled on a more pragmatic formation (I think it was the only one left), one that LT's talent did fit.
If Warnock finds a formation to suit him , Tomlin could be massive (not that way) this coming season. It remains to be seen whether we will entertain as much, I'd settle for winning and worry about more later. 
Good luck LT , just not in the 2 games Vs us.

I imagine he will really miss having to watch the ball aimlessly flying over his head from a team that forgot what a forward pass is, or having to drop within five feet of one of the DC's to collect the ball. 

Probably best for all involved he has found a new home. 

Was very poor last season and basically sulked imo. Was great when he first came and had a point to prove which he did, got a contract and then all went downhill from there. He has so much in his locker but half the time doesn't have the drive or passion to even try and show it. I am glad he has gone for the benefit of the club, but it is a bit of slap in the face he has decided to get himself fit and lose some weight once he knew he was off. I think he will do a superb job under Warnock, but how long that will last is anyones guess, if he has one sulk/backchat etc with him I think he will be in for a fright. If we have got most of our money back then we have done very well.

2 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

While I'd criticise Tomlin for poor fitness, which he looks to have improved, the blame for our bad form during THAT spell cannot be laid at his door alone. In fact at a time when player were going missing, and if you think back to occasions when we had throw in's, and it looked like our entire team had left the pitch there were so few options, Tomlin was ALWAYS available. 
He tried to get things going, he never shied away from receiving the ball when others hid. That run put paid to his involvement, we came out the other side when LJ accidentally stumbled on a more pragmatic formation (I think it was the only one left), one that LT's talent did fit.
If Warnock finds a formation to suit him , Tomlin could be massive (not that way) this coming season. It remains to be seen whether we will entertain as much, I'd settle for winning and worry about more later. 

Isn't that the problem though - a big IF?

4 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

While I'd criticise Tomlin for poor fitness, which he looks to have improved, the blame for our bad form during THAT spell cannot be laid at his door alone. In fact at a time when player were going missing, and if you think back to occasions when we had throw in's, and it looked like our entire team had left the pitch there were so few options, Tomlin was ALWAYS available

I'm just gonna pick one game...PNE at home.  It's a small sample, but it summed up LT for me.

if you remember that game, we came flying out the traps, and for about 15 minutes we were all over them, although we didn't create too much by the way of gilt edged chances.  The crowd was buzzing.  We'd turned the corner (of our bad run) surely? Tomlin, buzzing around everywhere, rabona pass here, flicky thing there.  Magical!  All from the 'in the hole' position with a centre circle radius.

Then PNE scored, soft goal, but good header from Higull.

Tomlin at that put is on his haunches, he was blowing, and to be fair he'd run the game for 15 minutes.  So what happened next?  He starts dropping deeper, because he can't run around to create the space in the gap between midfield and Tammy.  He;s taking his breather, and he's pointing at everyone else to do his work.  Suddenly Bobby Reid thinks he ought to listen to LT and 'rotate' with him....but of course Lee isn't going to cover Bobby's midfield two position and work back and forward, so O'Neil and Reid as a central two, become a one...just O'Neil.  And we start to get over-run.  Perhaps Bobby should have 'grown some' and told Tomlin to eff off and play to the original starting instructions.  To make matters worse, not only has Tomlin started to come deeper, it's only when we've got the ball, as soon as Preston go past the line of LT with the ball he isn't interested.  

Having had a bit of a breather, he swaps back with Bobby, or LJ has sussed out what has happened, and has ordered him back.

But we've lost our foothold on the game, the confidence has gone and we are no longer popping it around like we were in first 15 minutes, Tammy is starved of any ball, and Tomlin is standing hands on hips in the inside right position, when the ball is on left hand side, because he doesn't want it...because he knows he'll have to run around more.

(the best pass and move teams are generally the fittest - they work hard on the ball, and when they haven't got it they work hard to get it back)

That was just an example of a half of football where LT wasn't always available....there are countless others throughout last season.

Eff knows how LJ played him the whole 90 that day, he cheated for 45-60 minutes of that game.  He's a highlights player, a bloody good one, but a bloody awful one on the days he's blowing out his arse.

Although fitter when he was at Middlesbrough, he also had better players around him to afford him his luxury time.  We aren't good enough for that.

His transfer to Cardiff will be the best business we'll do all summer (imho) :P

edit: if the real LT is genuinely on this forum - which he ain't, come on and tell me I'm right!

12 hours ago, Vincent Vega said:

Warnock will get him playing . The mans a top notch man manager .

he is, and for all the s**t he gets on here I would have him here in a heartbeat. I do think however in a few months there could well be a fall out between LT and Warnock. Il be stunned if he lasts 3 seasons at Cardiff.

31 minutes ago, RUSSEL85 said:

he is, and for all the s**t he gets on here I would have him here in a heartbeat. I do think however in a few months there could well be a fall out between LT and Warnock. Il be stunned if he lasts 3 seasons at Cardiff.

Be stunned if LT lasts 3 seasons anywhere. 

13 hours ago, where's the joy said:

thank you neil warnock for sorting out the cancer in our team.

how wondrous tomlin appeared when first he came to us and then how poor he went on to become.

he had us on the edge of our seats, then tipped us into a relegation battle as little lee tried to build a formation to work around him, and failed.... and failed again.

if we got our money back then thats brilliant and the thought that he might play as badly for cardiff as he did for us is a nice one.

a penalty hit so hard against the upright at sheffield wednesday that it rebounded out to the centre circle seemed to be the turning point.

tomlins demise perhaps began then.

we shall miss his outrageous skill and flashes of genius but not his overall contribution through our slump of slumps

time to forgive, forget and move on  

What a pathetic, immature ill thought first sentence.

As long as we get a team of 11 tryers who nod yes to the coach I presume you will be happy

50 minutes ago, RUSSEL85 said:

Summer, Autumn, Winter?

When he was on loan he was devastating, every time he got the ball in the area he looked odds-on to bury it. Last season he just looked disinterested. I was ecstatic when we signed him-then he quickly took a leaf from the Dinning handbook of post-loan success. 

18 minutes ago, frenchred said:

What a pathetic, immature ill thought first sentence.

As long as we get a team of 11 tryers who nod yes to the coach I presume you will be happy

If those 11 tryers who nod yes to the coach see us challenging fat the top end of the championship, will you be happy? 

Individual brilliance is what we all want to see on the pitch, but for a club like us it is unlikely to enable us to challenge the clubs that are able to afford the best players. It is a strong team that will serve us best, and we saw signs of this at the end of the season.

It will never be the case that all 11 players will be in 100% agreement with the head coach, but they are professionals and part of being professional  in a team is doing the job you are asked to do for the benefit of the team. I'm nowhere near being ITK, but strongly suspect that Tomlin was not only not in agreement with the head coach, but allowed his disagreement to affect the rest of the dressing room. An unsettled dressing room would make LJ's already difficult job almost impossible. 

By the way, I agree that the posters first sentence was immature, although I also think there is a strong chance that Tomlin moving to Cardiff might be the best bit of transfer business we do this summer.

27 minutes ago, Malago said:

But you're not a pro player.

But if he was....

....he might want to play for the inexperienced manager who lets him get away with slacking, doing what he wants etc.

A player might want to play in a 'system' that revolves around him, but Warnock will not let him stroll around doing his own thing within it.  

So not everyone would want to play for Warnock.

1 hour ago, Malago said:

But you're not a pro player.

Maybe some managers will get more out of a certain type of player than others. That's called man management.  LJ didn't always get the best out of Tomlin, maybe Warnock will. Time will tell. The point I was making was that I would rather play under a passionate, demonstrative manager, like Warnock, than a hands in pocket theorist like LJ. That's just my opinion. I respect your entitlement to a different view. This is a debate forum.

Archived