IGNORED

Getting a dog to help with recovery.

Tipps69

8 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

That’s the trouble with dogs in general and especially pups, is how quickly they go downhill when ill. Dogs dehydrate really quickly compared to humans so any serious diarrhoea or vomiting is best dealt with by a prompt vet visit.  Lovely looking pup, glad she’s on the mend.  The other side of the coin, is that they recover really quickly as well.

You’re right & I’m just glad I was home with her when she fell ill, god knows what could of been if I hadn’t been there.

19 hours ago, Tipps69 said:

Inca has a bit of illness on Tuesday, sick & looking like she was going to pass out & literally not moving!! Rushed to the vet, she had a bit of a temperature & they think gastroenteritis!! So 2 lots of tablets, an anti-sickness injection & some paste substance, she is now back to being much more like herself.

She’ll be 18 weeks old tomorrow.

6B2B3990-9FC7-4583-B766-CF34DC277FB0.thumb.jpeg.e48487547a86041fb6edcc0640c48ac1.jpeg

What a stunning woofer. She's just lush!

Glad she is better. Ours went down hill with gastro at a similar age (we think he ate a slug/snail from the garden). Wouldn't even lift his head up off the floor. Emergency vet trip at night and much fresh chicken and rice later, and he was fine again.

18 minutes ago, Septic Peg said:

What a stunning woofer. She's just lush!

Glad she is better. Ours went down hill with gastro at a similar age (we think he ate a slug/snail from the garden). Wouldn't even lift his head up off the floor. Emergency vet trip at night and much fresh chicken and rice later, and he was fine again.

Yeah, she brings snails into the house, the trouble is you just can’t watch them all of the time, if I walk her over the fields she’s off her lead, I’m not going to chase her around every time she chews something because she’ll just think I’m playing & then I’d end up running around like an idiot & considering I can’t run, it’s just not going to happen :laugh:

4 hours ago, Tipps69 said:

Yeah, she brings snails into the house, the trouble is you just can’t watch them all of the time, if I walk her over the fields she’s off her lead, I’m not going to chase her around every time she chews something because she’ll just think I’m playing & then I’d end up running around like an idiot & considering I can’t run, it’s just not going to happen :laugh:

Teach it how to use a frying pan, butter and garlic and you've got it made mate.

On 29/09/2017 at 15:06, Tipps69 said:

Inca has a bit of illness on Tuesday, sick & looking like she was going to pass out & literally not moving!! Rushed to the vet, she had a bit of a temperature & they think gastroenteritis!! So 2 lots of tablets, an anti-sickness injection & some paste substance, she is now back to being much more like herself.

She’ll be 18 weeks old tomorrow.

6B2B3990-9FC7-4583-B766-CF34DC277FB0.thumb.jpeg.e48487547a86041fb6edcc0640c48ac1.jpeg

What a beautiful dog.  Here's my dog.  At 4 weeks.  She's now 4 years and doing well after a couple of "issues".  So take heart.

AmberBaby.jpg

On 9/30/2017 at 11:37, Tipps69 said:

Probably tried to pick a toad up, our late West tried that and was ill afterwards.

We have a black pug and a parson jack russell and luckily neither are interested in frogs, toads or salamanders of which we have loads of in our garden.

27 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Probably tried to pick a toad up, our late West tried that and was ill afterwards.

We have a black pug and a parson jack russell and luckily neither are interested in frogs, toads or salamanders of which we have loads of in our garden.

Possibly a slug, I caught her with a great big one as we got back from a walk today (dirty bitch) but we don’t tend to get frogs or toads etc in our garden.

6 minutes ago, Moor2Sea said:

On a more serious note. Be very wary of your dog having contact with slugs/snail ( including their mucus trails). Lungworm is a real risk. 

It’s a nightmare doing the nail / slug clean up every morning but she’s at that age where everything goes into her mouth!

Just a little update maybe someone could give me a little advice?

Inca’s now just over 20 weeks old & weighs in at 14kg’s, not looking like she’s going to be a ‘massive dog’ but the vets are trying to get me to sign up for their monthly payment plans. My issue is that everything they are trying to charge me for is dependent on Inca’s weight when she is fully grown, so whenever I take her to the vets, I get the phrase of “she’s going to be a big dog”!!

Now I’m not stupid, I know Rottweilers are a big bread of dog & I’ve had one before but they then make the comment that to pay via the monthly plan, she’s going to be an extra large dog but she is nowhere near as big as my old Rottweiler & she isn’t even as big as an 8 month old Labrador! It just feels like they are trying to convince me that she’s going to be massive so I pay extra every month because when she’s old enough to be considered an adult they won’t turn around & say “oops, our mistake, she’s only a medium / large dog, so she won’t cost as much per month now” & it’s not like they’ll offer a refund on any difference from when she’s an adult dog & while it’s not huge amounts, it’s still £8p/m difference which is better off in my pocket rather than the vets in my opinion.

I don’t understand why they have to do it on potential weight rather than actual weight!

So has anyone else had any similar experiences?

1 hour ago, Tipps69 said:

Just a little update maybe someone could give me a little advice?

Inca’s now just over 20 weeks old & weighs in at 14kg’s, not looking like she’s going to be a ‘massive dog’ but the vets are trying to get me to sign up for their monthly payment plans. My issue is that everything they are trying to charge me for is dependent on Inca’s weight when she is fully grown, so whenever I take her to the vets, I get the phrase of “she’s going to be a big dog”!!

Now I’m not stupid, I know Rottweilers are a big bread of dog & I’ve had one before but they then make the comment that to pay via the monthly plan, she’s going to be an extra large dog but she is nowhere near as big as my old Rottweiler & she isn’t even as big as an 8 month old Labrador! It just feels like they are trying to convince me that she’s going to be massive so I pay extra every month because when she’s old enough to be considered an adult they won’t turn around & say “oops, our mistake, she’s only a medium / large dog, so she won’t cost as much per month now” & it’s not like they’ll offer a refund on any difference from when she’s an adult dog & while it’s not huge amounts, it’s still £8p/m difference which is better off in my pocket rather than the vets in my opinion.

I don’t understand why they have to do it on potential weight rather than actual weight!

So has anyone else had any similar experiences?

Is this like for annual boosters/flea stuff/wormer?

If so, it might be better to just pay for boosters seperately and order her flea treatment/wormer online. A vet can issue you the prescription on request. That way her weight is taken and her prescription covers her with the correct dosage. Also ridiculously cheaper online!

20 minutes ago, Septic Peg said:

Is this like for annual boosters/flea stuff/wormer?

If so, it might be better to just pay for boosters seperately and order her flea treatment/wormer online. A vet can issue you the prescription on request. That way her weight is taken and her prescription covers her with the correct dosage. Also ridiculously cheaper online!

Yeah, they have tried to get me to sign up to two different things, the first would cover her booster, an annual check-up & her flea & wormer treatments for something like £23p/m, the second ‘offer’ was just for her flea & wormer treatments for £13p/m but the dosage is done on what her weight might be, not what it actually is now! Which I find strange as surely any medicine should be given on the bases of her actual weight now, not what she might weigh in 18 months time! Or am I simply being thick?

1 minute ago, Tipps69 said:

Yeah, they have tried to get me to sign up to two different things, the first would cover her booster, an annual check-up & her flea & wormer treatments for something like £23p/m, the second ‘offer’ was just for her flea & wormer treatments for £13p/m but the dosage is done on what her weight might be, not what it actually is now! Which I find strange as surely any medicine should be given on the bases of her actual weight now, not what she might weigh in 18 months time! Or am I simply being thick?

Your post is on open forum - did you know?

tfj

3 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

No. You shouldn't be paying for excessive doses if she doesn't require them in future. Is there any stipulation that says they would reduce and refund the additional monthly cost when she reaches adulthood at 18m/1 year if she hasn't reached their suggested weight bracket?

Personally, I would pay the one off consult fee per annum for her jabs and then have her weighed at a free nurse clinic (most vets do these for nail clipping/weight control etc) to ensure you have the correct weight and order online.

Or change vets maybe? Never heard of a vet charging for a 'predicted' weight. Hope they aren't dosing for her 'predicted' weight currently either.

6 minutes ago, Septic Peg said:

No. You shouldn't be paying for excessive doses if she doesn't require them in future. Is there any stipulation that says they would reduce and refund the additional monthly cost when she reaches adulthood at 18m/1 year if she hasn't reached their suggested weight bracket?

Personally, I would pay the one off consult fee per annum for her jabs and then have her weighed at a free nurse clinic (most vets do these for nail clipping/weight control etc) to ensure you have the correct weight and order online.

Or change vets maybe? Never heard of a vet charging for a 'predicted' weight. Hope they aren't dosing for her 'predicted' weight currently either.

That’s my concern, that is seemingly what they are doing & no, there’s no stipulation about a refund or reduction in dosage if she doesn’t hit the predicted weight when she gets to adulthood.

I do find it strange as I’ve never had a similar experience with my previous dogs although this is a different vets to ones I’ve used previously. And I do have concerns about them giving her the dosage on what weight she ‘might’ be. I certainly wouldn’t expect a doctor to give a baby any medication on the basis of what they might weigh when they become an adult. Surely it’s the same principle?

18 minutes ago, Dollymarie said:

I pay monthly for the flea/worming/jabs thing for my two cats but it’s just a price for a cat, not based on their weight. I do it cos it spreads the cost of two lots of jabs etc out over the year rather than having to fork out in one go which I couldn’t afford. 

Yeah, I can understand that Dolls, I’m just finding it all a bit odd that it’s done on potential weight in the future rather than what she actually weighs now & the fact that they could be giving her a dose for what is in theory nearly double her current weight. Just sounds like the wrong thing to do to a living animal.

38 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

Yeah, I can understand that Dolls, I’m just finding it all a bit odd that it’s done on potential weight in the future rather than what she actually weighs now & the fact that they could be giving her a dose for what is in theory nearly double her current weight. Just sounds like the wrong thing to do to a living animal.

Perhaps ring a few other vets in the area and ask how they do it. Then you can go back to your current vet and say "hang on..."

• Admin

I have never heard of this.  It sounds like a bit of a scam to me, I just pay a fixed amount, not sure it's got anything to do with size.  This is the company many of the vets use for the plans  http://www.pethealthplans.co.uk/    its part of Denplan, the company that many Dentists use.  One thing is for sure, they are both making money from it, whereas if its just you and the vet involved, surely it should be cheaper.

4 hours ago, Maesknoll Red said:

I have never heard of this.  It sounds like a bit of a scam to me, I just pay a fixed amount, not sure it's got anything to do with size.  This is the company many of the vets use for the plans  http://www.pethealthplans.co.uk/    its part of Denplan, the company that many Dentists use.  One thing is for sure, they are both making money from it, whereas if its just you and the vet involved, surely it should be cheaper.

Yeah, let’s just say I’ve decided to not take them up on their ‘kind offer’, maybe when Inca’s an adult & we know just how big she’s actually going to be I’ll go with it but I’m not going to do it on the basis of an ‘estimate’ at what size she might get to.

22 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

Yeah, let’s just say I’ve decided to not take them up on their ‘kind offer’, maybe when Inca’s an adult & we know just how big she’s actually going to be I’ll go with it but I’m not going to do it on the basis of an ‘estimate’ at what size she might get to.

Just curious Tipps but how did you arrive at the name Inca ?

Archived