IGNORED

No more strikers incoming?

Edge1981

So reading Johnson's post match comments it would seem he is not considering another striker. Whilst discussing Bobby Reid's form he said “He’s been great, I've put him up front, which is something I’ve had a taste to do, and it means we don’t have to sign another one".

Anyone else a little disappointed with that comment? After losing Tomlin and Engvall seemingly never playing for us we are left with Diedhiou, Taylor, Wilbs and McClousky. I probably sound like a doom and gloom merchant and I know it's been mentioned before but I can't see where the goals are coming from to be honest. It's great to see Reid doing so well but surely as a forward in the championship he'd get found out? 

1 minute ago, Red Right Hand said:

Yep, all the normal transfer window smoke and mirrors as usual.

Can`t wait for the two new signings that no-one`s even mentioned to be announced on the Wednesday of the Tenerife trip.

I really hope so. Reckon we must be in for Ollie Watkins despite the Brentford rumours

6 minutes ago, Bourne End Red said:

Don't take anything said as gospel mate.

More accurate

Poor old Bobby

Gomna be a £5 million prem player

Then dissapears without a trace, can't even make the squad for months

Now he's a solution to any striking difficiencies or absences

All depends on what happens with Engvall to me.

If he stays with us, giving us Diedhiou, him, Đurić, Taylor plus Wilbs (in an emergency) to chose from, then we probably won't sign another striker.

If he goes back to a Sweden for good then I expect that we will.

4 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

More accurate

Poor old Bobby

Gomna be a £5 million prem player

Then dissapears without a trace, can't even make the squad for months

Now he's a solution to any striking difficiencies or absences

Comparing him to Dele Ali :laugh: You'd think someone at the club would tell him to keep his mouth shut and save him some embarrassment.

I like Bobby. Should've never been dropped last season when he was. Didn't deserve it and it cost us. We had been getting results up to the Cardiff game when he was first dropped for Korey Smith who was no where near ready to come back to full time. Bobby probably would've finished second leading scorer from midfield had he played the whole season. He has his flaws but at striker they become less critical. With the injuries it's worth throwing him up there. He's clearly got an eye for goal. 

As for the words actually said, he's not exactly gonna say we're already decimated by injury and we have 2 strikers on the way. Sounded to me that there was a chance for Bobby to show me what he can do as a striker that can help link midfield with the forwards while other are out. 

27 minutes ago, Edge1981 said:

So reading Johnson's post match comments it would seem he is not considering another striker. Whilst discussing Bobby Reid's form he said “He’s been great, I've put him up front, which is something I’ve had a taste to do, and it means we don’t have to sign another one".

Anyone else a little disappointed with that comment? After losing Tomlin and Engvall seemingly never playing for us we are left with Diedhiou, Taylor, Wilbs and McClousky. I probably sound like a doom and gloom merchant and I know it's been mentioned before but I can't see where the goals are coming from to be honest. It's great to see Reid doing so well but surely as a forward in the championship he'd get found out? 

Đurić. Ever heard of him?

20 minutes ago, Edge1981 said:

I guess I shouldn't. I also forgot Đurić in my list of strikers who I rate highly 

So now you've remembered an international striker that we've already got and until Engval's future is decided, are you ok with us not signing another striker at the moment..? 

1 minute ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Let's be honest, we have had a 16 goal striker and a 23 goal striker in the last couple of seasons and look how that has gone...

Moral of the story, sort the rest of the shit out!

That's a fair point succinctly put !!!!!

Last Year we conceded far too many yet our only 'strengthening' anywhere else is a (for me slightly left field) replacement for Little

Whether that 'strengthens' / improves us is debatable ATM 

The next couple of signings (if we get any) are paramount IMHO and must be Ines that would be expecting to start

Just now, Bar BS3 said:

So now you've remembered an international striker that we've already got and until Engval's future is decided, are you ok with us not signing another striker at the moment..? 

If Engval was truely part of our plans then yes I would be happy. I think we all know he's not part of our plans though. 

1 minute ago, Edge1981 said:

If Engval was truely part of our plans then yes I would be happy. I think we all know he's not part of our plans though. 

Based on what..? Him going out on loan..? 

I think people forget his age. 

Maybe he doesn't have a future here, but it seems like assumption based on rumour to me, at the moment. 

Why take him to Tenerife if he's already finished here..? Would be very easy to just say that we didn't think it was a good idea to interrupt his loan spell, that's going fairly well. 

1 hour ago, JoeAman08 said:

I like Bobby. Should've never been dropped last season when he was. Didn't deserve it and it cost us. We had been getting results up to the Cardiff game when he was first dropped for Korey Smith who was no where near ready to come back to full time. Bobby probably would've finished second leading scorer from midfield had he played the whole season. He has his flaws but at striker they become less critical. With the injuries it's worth throwing him up there. He's clearly got an eye for goal. 

As for the words actually said, he's not exactly gonna say we're already decimated by injury and we have 2 strikers on the way. Sounded to me that there was a chance for Bobby to show me what he can do as a striker that can help link midfield with the forwards while other are out. 

He was dropped around the time he was going missing for large parts of games and gifting goals with sloppy passing in tight areas and couldnt hit a cows ass with a banjo, if he is the answer this season then i fear the worst. 

13 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Based on what..? Him going out on loan..? 

I think people forget his age. 

Maybe he doesn't have a future here, but it seems like assumption based on rumour to me, at the moment. 

Why take him to Tenerife if he's already finished here..? Would be very easy to just say that we didn't think it was a good idea to interrupt his loan spell, that's going fairly well. 

Possibly so. How interested are we in his progression though when he was out on loan? Didn't Tinman fly out to watch him only to find out he was injured? Surely there would be dialogue between manager and player or club and player on an almost daily basis if they really were serious on him being the future of our club?

2 minutes ago, Edge1981 said:

Possibly so. How interested are we in his progression though when he was out on loan? Didn't Tinman fly out to watch him only to find out he was injured? Surely there would be dialogue between manager and player or club and player on an almost daily basis if they really were serious on him being the future of our club?

Don't you think it's far more likely that Tinnion flew out to watch him and then he picked up an injury..?! 

53 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Yep, all the normal transfer window smoke and mirrors as usual.

Can`t wait for the two new signings that no-one`s even mentioned to be announced on the Wednesday of the Tenerife trip.

You aware of something the masses arent, or are you just making a very valid point?

5 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Don't you think it's far more likely that Tinnion flew out to watch him and then he picked up an injury..?! 

Yes it would seem that way. Although he was injured three days before the game and this was online at the time too 

1 hour ago, Edge1981 said:

It's best to put LJ's interviews on mute as he's full of shit, unfortunately.  I mean, does anyone truly believe he now suddenly rates Bobby after the way he was randomly bombed out of the team last season despite some encouraging performances, and actual goals?

I don't think even LJ knows what his views are on players half the time. 

Just thinking about our striking situation - it does seem that with 5 or 6 strikers we have quantity but looking at them there is a lack of quality - IMO we would be better off with 3 quality strikers and then if changes are needed we use other players such as Bobby. I think this should be done accross the squad with flexing player from other positions - we seem to do it anyway.

To be honest Reid is a better striker than he is a midfielder and would be a great number 10, today he scored two goals and the keeper saved 3 powerful on target shots from him. I was impressed with him today, also noticed that he has bulked up quite a bit too. Think the answer to our striker problem if we're short is Bobby Reid and will prove a few wrong hopefully not me.

Archived