IGNORED

No more strikers incoming?

Edge1981

26 minutes ago, tts_city said:

He was dropped around the time he was going missing for large parts of games and gifting goals with sloppy passing in tight areas and couldnt hit a cows ass with a banjo, if he is the answer this season then i fear the worst. 

He was dropped Cardiff game(when or poor run started)and while we weren't playing spectacular football at the time, Bobby was involved in a lot of our good play. Don't recall him gifting away possession too much and had more of a nip in his play then Korey did at the time. Bobby was easily our second most productive player up to mid October when Korey came back. He was consistently producing then dropped. He gets too hard a time on here. We could do with a few more Bobby Reid's. Good attitude, good technical ability and good work rate. Doesn't fit in a midfield two but if he got some minutes in a striker position, he'd get a good amount of goals. 

1 hour ago, JoeAman08 said:

He was dropped Cardiff game(when or poor run started)and while we weren't playing spectacular football at the time, Bobby was involved in a lot of our good play. Don't recall him gifting away possession too much and had more of a nip in his play then Korey did at the time. Bobby was easily our second most productive player up to mid October when Korey came back. He was consistently producing then dropped. He gets too hard a time on here. We could do with a few more Bobby Reid's. Good attitude, good technical ability and good work rate. Doesn't fit in a midfield two but if he got some minutes in a striker position, he'd get a good amount of goals. 

I can only tell it how I saw it. I have always wanted bobby to succeed here, but for me he just doesnt have enough about him on a consistent basis in the championship, done well in preseason against poor oppostion so far, i hope he proves me wrong if he is to be regular starter.

Just now, tts_city said:

I can only tell it how I saw it. I have always wanted bobby to succeed here, but for me he just doesnt have enough about him on a consistent basis in the championship, done well in preseason against poor oppostion so far, i hope he proves me wrong if he is to be regular starter.

That fine. Just saying as I saw it he was consistently doing it then was dropped for no reason. Then came on in that Cardiff game and got into one of our best positions of the game and nearly scored again but for a clearance off the line. Though because he is Bobby it was a dreadful miss. Make or break season for Bobby? Probably but I'm not sure he'll get the chances he'll need and if he doesn't make a huge impact in his rare 20-25 cameos he'll be deemed not good enough again. Bobby has make us regret selling him written all over him and I fear that is the path it's going. 

1 hour ago, JoeAman08 said:

That fine. Just saying as I saw it he was consistently doing it then was dropped for no reason. Then came on in that Cardiff game and got into one of our best positions of the game and nearly scored again but for a clearance off the line. Though because he is Bobby it was a dreadful miss. Make or break season for Bobby? Probably but I'm not sure he'll get the chances he'll need and if he doesn't make a huge impact in his rare 20-25 cameos he'll be deemed not good enough again. Bobby has make us regret selling him written all over him and I fear that is the path it's going. 

So for you he is a nailed on starter this season ?

1 hour ago, Edge1981 said:

So reading Johnson's post match comments it would seem he is not considering another striker. Whilst discussing Bobby Reid's form he said “He’s been great, I've put him up front, which is something I’ve had a taste to do, and it means we don’t have to sign another one".

Anyone else a little disappointed with that comment? After losing Tomlin and Engvall seemingly never playing for us we are left with Diedhiou, Taylor, Wilbs and McClousky. I probably sound like a doom and gloom merchant and I know it's been mentioned before but I can't see where the goals are coming from to be honest. It's great to see Reid doing so well but surely as a forward in the championship he'd get found out? 

By my rough reckoning we have over £8 million worth of strikers on the books. Then there is Reid and maybe some reinvestment from the Tomlin transfer. 

Let's give them a chance before too much doom and gloom eh?

Despite all the aggressive vitriol and criticism LJ has been subjected to I've recently started to think more positively about  him being the manager largely down to the fact that SL unequivocally supported him during the dreadful run and dip into the DZ last season.

LJ won't be sacked and the sooner we all accept that fact the better.

Stop whingeing and accept the things you cannot change

6 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Despite all the aggressive vitriol and criticism LJ has been subjected to I've recently started to think more positively about  him being the manager largely down to the fact that SL unequivocally supported him during the dreadful run and dip into the DZ last season.

LJ won't be sacked and the sooner we all accept that fact the better.

?? This thread is about Bobby Reid as a forward and whether we'll bring in another one

27 minutes ago, tts_city said:

So for you he is a nailed on starter this season ?

No not a nailed on starter right now. It all depends how the team sets up. Not sure we've got anyone better than Bobby to play behind a lone striker but if we continue with two up top then he doesn't get into the team. 

1 hour ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Let's be honest, we have had a 16 goal striker and a 23 goal striker in the last couple of seasons and look how that has gone...

Moral of the story, sort the rest of the shit out!

Quite, stop conceding so many goals and more goals needed from the rest of the team, including the likes of Reid. Too big a risk to expect strikers to carry the team.

5 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

?? This thread is about Bobby Reid as a forward and whether we'll bring in another one

Don't feed the troll mate

Its a case of 'I've got nothing of interest to say or debate so I'll post a load of shite to try and attract some attention'

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

All depends on what happens with Engvall to me.

If he stays with us, giving us Diedhiou, him, Đurić, Taylor plus Wilbs (in an emergency) to chose from, then we probably won't sign another striker.

If he goes back to a Sweden for good then I expect that we will.

Engvall has an opportunity in Tenerife.  Tomlin gone, injuries to Taylor and Đurić (and Wilbs), playing Reid up top (I'm fine with that, see my post midweek).  We will know more about him after Tenerife.  Assuming he is fit, then he must get game time out there. 

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Whether he is or isn't in Lees plans , I get the firm impression that Gustav doesn't see or want a future here 

We don't really know.  We are basing it on our learned Swedish living forum members and their local press.  Of course the Swedish press are likely to be truthful :whistle:

1 hour ago, Edge1981 said:

Yes it would seem that way. Although he was injured three days before the game and this was online at the time too 

Maybe Tinnion went out to have a face to face with him.  Tinnion rates him, and perhaps he was out there sorting out plans for his reunification with the squad.  Perhaps he was looking at another player too?

2 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

I do like the look of Hinds tbh, not a quick as McCoulsky but there's something about him. 

Has Hinds sneaked ahead of McCoulsky? @Shtanley - any view?

13 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

This thread is about the perceived lack of strikers with LJ saying that Reid could play in that position. 

Im saying in a "between the lines" manner that it's down to LJ to deal with it. No doubt he'll say we don't need anymore strikers with Diediou, Taylor, Đurić, Engval and possibly Reid all available to play there.

44 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

I think everybody wants him to do well and recognises he does some talented stuff sometimes. Also, he is no longer the flimsy youth he was originally.

However, to say he was dropped for no reason just flies in the face of the evidence. In my eyes his giving the ball away in dangerous midfield positions became a trademark. 

He looked good today and IF he can keep that up he will deserve a starting place.

I was also impressed by Freddie Hinds, who I'd never seen before. He seems promising, as the sort of small, fast "playing on the shoulder" striker that we need. Admittedly he was playing against a defence made up of triallists who showed signs of having met each other at half past two.

9 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Has Hinds sneaked ahead of McCoulsky? @Shtanley - any view

McCoulsky is injured, I think Hinds may end up playing a higher level judging by his technique but McCoulsky is faster stronger as of right now. 

I think McCoulsky will go out on loan again, Hinds will play u23 football but maybe get a chance with the first team in a cup game or if injuries strike 

7 hours ago, Robbored said:

This thread is about the perceived lack of strikers with LJ saying that Reid could play in that position. 

Im saying in a "between the lines" manner that it's down to LJ to deal with it. No doubt he'll say we don't need anymore strikers with Diediou, Taylor, Đurić, Engval and possibly Reid all available to play there.

and please tell me just how many championship goals that lot scored last season? yet they are about to be thrust into a tough championship season.

We are going to have to get lucky and quick, with the start only weeks away now. A proven goalscorer in this div would cost probably double our record signing but it would give us much more hope than now, and a blind man could see we need a decent goalie, have done for a while.

If any of your strikers do come good they will be gone when the first offer comes in......f.f.s. why don't we do something different for a change i.e. buy class and keep them.

1 hour ago, glos old boy said:

why don't we do something different for a change i.e. buy class and keep them.

Isn't this what we (and every club) have always tried to do? We have to work within the confines of reality unfortunately, easier said than done.

9 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

It's best to put LJ's interviews on mute as he's full of shit, unfortunately.  I mean, does anyone truly believe he now suddenly rates Bobby after the way he was randomly bombed out of the team last season despite some encouraging performances, and actual goals?

I don't think even LJ knows what his views are on players half the time. 

I'm trying to be restrained with all the LJ bashers coming out of the woodwork again for no apparent reason, but for KITR to accuse LJ of being full of shit is a bit rich.

if I was LJ, i don't think I'd ever make a public statement, given the way his words are pulled to pieces.  Ah, the modern world, what a pile of poo it is sometimes.

1 minute ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I'm trying to be restrained with all the LJ bashers coming out of the woodwork again for no apparent reason, but for KITR to accuse LJ of being full of shit is a bit rich.

if I was LJ, i don't think I'd ever make a public statement, given the way his words are pulled to pieces.  Ah, the modern world, what a pile of poo it is sometimes.

Thanks for adding absolutely sod all to the debate other than a personal insult :thumbsup:

8 hours ago, Robbored said:

I would also add the club captain Wilbs who will still get game time.

And we have the biggest signing in the clubs history at no9 .

No more strikers for sure

1 hour ago, glos old boy said:

and please tell me just how many championship goals that lot scored last season? yet they are about to be thrust into a tough championship season.

We are going to have to get lucky and quick, with the start only weeks away now. A proven goalscorer in this div would cost probably double our record signing but it would give us much more hope than now, and a blind man could see we need a decent goalie, have done for a while.

If any of your strikers do come good they will be gone when the first offer comes in......f.f.s. why don't we do something different for a change i.e. buy class and keep them.

We showed with Gray and Gayle that we are prepared to pay the big money you suggest. Unfortunately players like that are not actually keen to join us so it's a bit of an academic point.

14 minutes ago, JammyOne said:

Isn't this what we (and every club) have always tried to do? We have to work within the confines of reality unfortunately, easier said than done.

What is reality? as I see it we have a fairly rich owner, we have the new improved stadium which is to bring us better and more secured income from its multi use 12mths of the year and according to some a bright young manager and his countless staff to advise/work with/for him. Surely now then is the time to kick on, bring in players who are proven and keep them to progress towards the dream of prem football.

We seem to me to be stuck in this circle of buying possible/maybe decent players then either cashing in or moving them on depending on whether they come up to scratch or not; we also seem content just hang on rather than take a chance and move forward.

We have a great chance to now move forward and challenge the top teams in this div but seem reluctant to take it.

3 minutes ago, glos old boy said:

What is reality? as I see it we have a fairly rich owner, we have the new improved stadium which is to bring us better and more secured income from its multi use 12mths of the year and according to some a bright young manager and his countless staff to advise/work with/for him. Surely now then is the time to kick on, bring in players who are proven and keep them to progress towards the dream of prem football.

We seem to me to be stuck in this circle of buying possible/maybe decent players then either cashing in or moving them on depending on whether they come up to scratch or not; we also seem content just hang on rather than take a chance and move forward.

We have a great chance to now move forward and challenge the top teams in this div but seem reluctant to take it.

However rich SL is we are still not going to be able to compete with bigger clubs paying much higher wages, even assuming 'proven' players wanted to join us.a

1 minute ago, chinapig said:

We showed with Gray and Gayle that we are prepared to pay the big money you suggest. Unfortunately players like that are not actually keen to join us so it's a bit of an academic point.

Why is that do you think? we didn't/don't have what they wanted i.e a club that looked as though they were moving forward not constantly going no-where. We maybe should say right sink or swim lets go for it and stop playing at it, show more ambition and desire; we could challenge anyone but not with hope/maybe and if players. Buy class, class costs.

5 minutes ago, chinapig said:

However rich SL is we are still not going to be able to compete with bigger clubs paying much higher wages, even assuming 'proven' players wanted to join us.a

We should be able to match the exploits of the likes of WBA, Stoke and even Bournemouth now, we have the supporters, the ground but not the management determind enough to take a chance and go for it.

These bigger clubs like those mentioned started somewhere........with the confidence and management not afraid to try and take a chance.....not, not going to, cant, but CAN AND WILL.

Let's say Engvall is given every opportunity to break into the side, then the list below is what we have in that position;

Taylor (injured), Đurić (injured), Wilbs (injured), Diedhiou, Engvall (injured?), and now seemingly Boddy Reid.

Add the kids like Hinds in, and I'm skeptical as to whether we need numbers in there.

Yes, I'm not 100% convinced those lads have it in them to lead the line over a full Championship season,  but as I've pointed out before elsewhere; we're replacing 23 league goals, so all we really need is Diedhiou to plunder maybe ten, Engvall to get six or seven, same again from Taylor and Đurić, and our midfield to pull their weight a bit more (other than Bobby and Paterson we really didn't get enough from elsewhere last year).

For me; I would like a little more experienced depth in the defence, particularly at full back (hope the Italian lad is good, but if not don't want us wasting Korey at right back), and someone to backup/alternate with Smith in the middle - the perma-injured GO'N isn't up to it for me, and Pack and Brownhill play alongside Smith in my mind.

Got enough forwards and attacking midfield options for me; best be improve the rearguard now.

(of course; this precludes us getting someone notable in - was a experienced and proven scorer at this level suddenly affordable and available then I'd not mind, but I think other than smashing our transfer records again and paying crazy money, that's not happening)

48 minutes ago, glos old boy said:

I don't believe it's a question of reluctance.If there was a magic formula that guaranteed success SL wouldn't hesitate to use it , unfortunately there isn't so he won't risk the future of the club by chucking good money after bad.

12 hours ago, Edge1981 said:

I guess I shouldn't. I also forgot Đurić in my list of strikers who I rate highly 

You rate Đurić highly, but he didn't spring to mind when drawing up a list of our forwards. Oh dear. 

Archived