IGNORED

Gary O'Neil

Wolf Island

Should he stay or should he go?  On the one hand he's permanently injured, no doubt on high wages, commutes from London and we have cover in his position.

On the other he brings undoubted quality and experience (including of promotion) which could help a young squad.

On balance I think I'd say keep him but what do others think?

I'd hoped he would be fit for pre-season and we'd end up seeing the best of him this season.

But the fact that he's seemingly injured once again and is missing the build up makes me worried he is again going to be unable to contribute properly.

Had a few games last year where he really ran things, and looked every bit the player I had thought we had on our hands.

Unfortunately most of those showings were pre-Christmas, or even before the first international break, and he didn't seem to have much influence when we were poor.

I'm of a mind that if he was to leave, or even end up well down the pecking order were he to stay, we'd not be massively inconvenienced.

Talk of Stephen Quinn being someone we were interested in made me think that GO'N might be off; in all honesty, as long as his knee injury is over with, and he's back to the same busy player he was at Hull and Reading the season before last, I'd prefer Quinn come in to be that experience in the middle for us.

That said; a fit Korey Smith, an improving Brownhill, Pack and Hegeler too seems to me enough cover in that central midfield area. Might be enough for us.

When he was on the pitch I thought we generally looked better for it. However looking at stats certainly in terms of results that wasn't the case! In theory should be a world beater for us, wasn't the case last year and needs to be fit. As others have said I'd lean towards moving him on if anybody's willing to take him.

I was all for him staying and getting some time off the bench to help see out games and getting a few starts here and there. Maybe starting in cup games as a leader with some youth but him already being injured doesn't bode well. I thought we overused him last season and that is why after the first few games he didn't look as good. Then the injuries happened. He could still probably help the squad but if someone wanted him they could take him. Though it would probably mean we have to pay most of his wages for the year. He'll be here until January and even then he'll probably see out his last year here. 

So disappointed with O'Neil as on big money I suspect and we are getting no value. Started superbly and was a real driving force but anything post October is a write off. Cannot work out what's going on with him as surely we should be looking to pay him off with a compromise payment to allow him to be closer to home in London.  No idea of relationship with LJ as rumours point to not being great but then why have him involved in running U23's at end of season.

best of going though as we have better and stealing a wage

Really suspicious of this "he's injured" stuff, as we were also told that about Tomlin.

Top of my list to go, a high earner who has contributed very little.

Not that bothered about a replacement either, as Smith, Brownhill, Pack & Hegeler can all play there.

Need a more creative, goal scoring midfielder if anything.

17 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Really suspicious of this "he's injured" stuff, as we were also told that about Tomlin.

Not that bothered about a replacement either, as Smith, Brownhill, Pack & Hegeler can all play there.

Trouble is who would want him? We'd have to pay up his contract which isn't going to be cheap 

Interesting temperature check and there is a real strength of feeling against O'Neil it seems. I don't disagree with the analysis of his contribution last season but just wonder whether he could offer more next. Doesn't feel like a Tomlin scenario as he seems to be much more constructive and less disruptive. And like Wilbs before potentially a good example of how to look after yourself physically into the latter stages of a career (yes he's had injuries but doesn't seem to neglect his body). 

2 minutes ago, Ser Davos Ciderworth said:

Interesting temperature check and there is a real strength of feeling against O'Neil it seems. I don't disagree with the analysis of his contribution last season but just wonder whether he could offer more next. Doesn't feel like a Tomlin scenario as he seems to be much more constructive and less disruptive. And like Wilbs before potentially a good example of how to look after yourself physically into the latter stages of a career (yes he's had injuries but doesn't seem to neglect his body). 

He could offer more next season. He could've offered more last season.

6 minutes ago, David Brent said:

I don't think we'd miss him were he to leave.

Exactly. I couldn't tell anyone his style of play etc as I feel I hardly know him. Came with a good record but like others before him failed due to injuries. Happy to commute and play golf, but that's about it. Luckily we have only a years wages to pay up if we decide to. 

I think in this case, he probably is injured. LJ said in an interview something like "Knowing GO'N, he has probably worked himself too hard over the summer".

Its a shame, I had really high hopes for him when he signed but I can't seem him being anything but a "bit part" player this season.

53 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Cardiff have one!!!!!

1 minute ago, alexukhc said:

Wants a Millwall move

He alluded to as much when he was on Danny Baker`s show a week or two ago. Danny asked him if he would come back and the reply was something like, We`ll have to see what Neil (Harris) has to say about that`. Probably just banter but it seem he was trying to suggest it to me.

Probably the signing last summer that I was most pleased with but most disappointed by.

55 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

He alluded to as much when he was on Danny Baker`s show a week or two ago. Danny asked him if he would come back and the reply was something like, We`ll have to see what Neil (Harris) has to say about that`. Probably just banter but it seem he was trying to suggest it to me.

Probably the signing last summer that I was most pleased with but most disappointed by.

Come and get me plea I thought

1 hour ago, Tomarse said:

Trouble is who would want him? We'd have to pay up his contract which isn't going to be cheap 

As others have said I think he (and we) wants to go to Millwall.

Even if they were interested we'd end up subsidising his wages.

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

I wonder how many minutes GON and Tomlin spent on the pitch together from Sheffield Wednesday (away) til the end of the season?  Just saying :whistle:

The way LJ wants to play a pressing game I don't think GON fits into that high energy approach so definitely not a match day starter which means he is likely to be a last 15 min off the bench option if we need to see out a game. For what is probably reasonably decent wages that's a bit of a waste in my eyes.

2 hours ago, RedM said:

Exactly. I couldn't tell anyone his style of play etc as I feel I hardly know him. Came with a good record but like others before him failed due to injuries. Happy to commute and play golf, but that's about it. Luckily we have only a years wages to pay up if we decide to. 

I was disappointed by his weary , powder puff crosses and free kicks but at the beginning he ran the show .

He may have burnt out .

Archived