IGNORED

Garlandsweden 60 years young!

bristolcitysweden

Happy 60th Birthday young fella!!!!  Any chance you have the programme from that match played back on 29th July, 1970?

Also, Gerry Gow's City debut was actually the last match of the previous season away at Charlton Athletic, when City lost 1-2.  Garland scoring the only City goal.

31 minutes ago, Garland-sweden said:

Thanks very mutch City friends. Make me smile, have a good time and take car. Will probably come over and watch the Millwall game in August. Always believe, Coyr!!!

No!!! :no:

Don't take car, you'll get arrested.

3 minutes ago, spyder66 said:

Happy 60th Birthday young fella!!!!  Any chance you have the programme from that match played back on 29th July, 1970?

Also, Gerry Gow's City debut was actually the last match of the previous season away at Charlton Athletic, when City lost 1-2.  Garland scoring the only City goal.

We met up with Gerry in Weymouth a couple of years ago and he told us the Holstein Kiel game was his debut 

10 minutes ago, EnclosureSurge said:

Cos in those days, English football was big abroad. If you saw'm on the telly or live, you somehow fell in love. C'mon think of all the Europeans who love English football - Denis Bergkamp being named, and precisely spelt, after Denis Law for example. There are scores of Leeds, Man U, Liverpool fans across Europe because we were big news then. Something exotic, something from the 'home of football' (and not long after we'd won the WC), something passionate. 

Yes, in the late 60 ies, there was each saturday an english game on telly. It was called Tips extra. We are a betting people in Sweden so we bet on the english team, and still do. So therefore many Swedes have a english team as favourites abroad. Somewhere in the 80 ies I saw the cupfinal Coventry-Tottenham at wembley. Think Coventry won 4-2, and I was lucky to put my money on the sky blues. At that time it was expensive with aeroplane so we took a ship fr.o.m. Gothenburg..

10 minutes ago, spyder66 said:

Are you sure mate?

9 minutes ago, spyder66 said:

No, unfortunate not. Remember looking in the local paper day after. Look at pictures and tried to understand what the text said.

10 minutes ago, bristolcitysweden said:

I think we shall all chose burial over cremation. Could be some CIty celebrations 750 years ahead and that they would like to invite some nut heads from the past (just temporary). Better off with burial I reckon.

Better be safe. If they cremated you, there could be a great fire of Stockholm. :whistle:

1 hour ago, bristolcitysweden said:

Are you sure mate?

According to "Bristol City - A Complete Record, 1894-1987" and "The Bristol Babe, The First 110 Years of Bristol City F.C." it was.  I've checked the match-day programme, and he is not listed in the team line-up, but that doesn't confirm anything.  Being the last game of the season I can't check later programmes, so I'll try and locate a match report from the newspaper and double check and get back to you.

Just now, spyder66 said:

According to "Bristol City - A Complete Record, 1894-1987" and "The Bristol Babe, The First 110 Years of Bristol City F.C." it was.  I've checked the match-day programme, and he is not listed in the team line-up, but that doesn't confirm anything.  Being the last game of the season I can't check later programmes, so I'll try and locate a match report from the newspaper and double check and get back to you.

Actually, I've just checked the match-day programme for the home match against Charlton on 19th Dec, 1970 the following season.  At the back there is the "Flashback" piece. It clearly states the following....

"Charlton gained some revenge in the return game which was our last match of the season.  They won 2-1 at The Valley-an important result for it kept them in the Second Division.  Gerry Gow made his League debut in that match and played at right-half"

8 hours ago, Garland-sweden said:

Yes, in the late 60 ies, there was each saturday an english game on telly. It was called Tips extra. We are a betting people in Sweden so we bet on the english team, and still do. So therefore many Swedes have a english team as favourites abroad. Somewhere in the 80 ies I saw the cupfinal Coventry-Tottenham at wembley. Think Coventry won 4-2, and I was lucky to put my money on the sky blues. At that time it was expensive with aeroplane so we took a ship fr.o.m. Gothenburg..

I went with a mate up to Failand in January 1990 before we played Chelsea in the FA Cup. We were just stood there watching City train - Turner & Taylor, Biff, Shelts, Renns, Big Joe etc - when a two-man tv crew approached us and asked us if we'd answer a few Qs about City.

Turned out they were from a Swedish tv channel and, as the game was to be broadcast live in Scandanavia, they came to film City training. And they got me and my mate Ernie. We sang Drink Up Thee Cider for them, which doesn't look or sound very good with just two herberts in a windswept field on a Tuesday afternoon in winter.

I would like to say we gained some more Swedish City fans that weekend, beating John Bumstead et al, but thnking about me and Ernie singing, I'm not so sure.

Happy Birthday Garlandsweden! We love having a Scandanavian fan club (It's probably still your birthday as the Sun hasn't set has it?)

2 hours ago, EnclosureSurge said:

I went with a mate up to Failand in January 1990 before we played Chelsea in the FA Cup. We were just stood there watching City train - Turner & Taylor, Biff, Shelts, Renns, Big Joe etc - when a two-man tv crew approached us and asked us if we'd answer a few Qs about City.

Turned out they were from a Swedish tv channel and, as the game was to be broadcast live in Scandanavia, they came to film City training. And they got me and my mate Ernie. We sang Drink Up Thee Cider for them, which doesn't look or sound very good with just two herberts in a windswept field on a Tuesday afternoon in winter.

I would like to say we gained some more Swedish City fans that weekend, beating John Bumstead et al, but thnking about me and Ernie singing, I'm not so sure.

Happy Birthday Garlandsweden! We love having a Scandanavian fan club (It's probably still your birthday as the Sun hasn't set has it?)

Games in the tv-show "Tipsextra".

27 January (FA-cup) 1990 Bristol C vs Chelsea, 3-1.

For sure some of us saw you on the telly that day.

Archived