IGNORED

Britt Assombalonga

40 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

A good striker, albeit with some injury problems, but £14 million?  Has the world gone mad?

parachute payments, that is what we are trying to compete with, it's creating a two tier championship 

Boro have signed some quality players this season. Should win the league really but after what happened at Villa last season money doesn't buy success. Wouldn't surprise me if Assombalonga is the top scorer this season. Certainly one of the best strikers in the league in my opinion

Just now, WRERE said:

Boro have signed some quality players this season. Should win the league really but after what happened at Villa last season money doesn't buy success. Wouldn't surprise me if Assombalonga is the top scorer this season. Certainly one of the best strikers in the league in my opinion

Easily one of the best, if he can keep clear of injury. 

Still only 24 years old, I believe.. in which case, in today's market, as we saw with Kodjia, that's the kind of money you can get for proven championship goal scorers if the ex prem clubs want them. 

Would have liked to seen him here but £14 million :noexp:

There again JK , McCormack ....... and there's an argument that he's as decent (Goalscorer) if not better than those two 

Football's gone truly nuts 

Another reminder what we are up against, even in this league

If FD gets 15 or so goals this here he'll look a bargain !!!

14 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

The way it's going some relegated club with parachute payments would be in for £20 million

Monopoly money

It's the only way clubs like City can make any progress. Hope you keep picking out the players that will make you a big profit, keep reinvesting in younger, not as proven players and hope that one day it all gels and you make it to the promised land. Then you come back down and become the ones spending £15m on a striker.

I remember LJ saying in an interview that within the next 5 years anyone who hasn't made it to the prem before, will probably never get there (something along those lines), can see how that would be true.

7 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

3 years younger and better scoring rate in this league than JK (marginally)  

Having only just signed a new contract I'm not surprised at the fee. 

He'll be a better player at Boro than he was at Forest. 

And if he isn't, they will just splash another £10-15m on whoever is top scorer in January.

31 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Starting to make the 9 million quid bids for Gray and Gayle look almost sensible 

It's amazing (and frightening) how the cost of players is escalating so quickly and I imagine the same is happening with wages. 

44 minutes ago, Offside said:

It's amazing (and frightening) how the cost of players is escalating so quickly and I imagine the same is happening with wages. 

Danny Kelly was discussing this issue this morning on TS in light of Asombalonga's transfer.  He said that today's £20m fee is the equivalent  of £750,000 only a few short years ago.

40 years ago Kenny Dalgleish , a great player, signed for Liverpool for £450,000 - a British record at the time. Adjusted for inflation that would today be £2,465,000. Bearing in mind Lukaku's transfer is now the British record at £95m(?) it makes you realise just how crazy the finances in football has become.

23 hours ago, Monkeh said:

parachute payments, that is what we are trying to compete with, it's creating a two tier championship 

Didn't stop Brighton or Huddersfield last year. Lack of parachute payments is a lame excuse trotted out by badly run football clubs. We've spent quite enough money to be in a better place than we are. Have a good scouting system, get the right players, coach and manage them well. Not simples, but it can be done. 

11 minutes ago, Calculus said:

Didn't stop Brighton or Huddersfield last year. Lack of parachute payments is a lame excuse trotted out by badly run football clubs. We've spent quite enough money to be in a better place than we are. Have a good scouting system, get the right players, coach and manage them well. Not simples, but it can be done. 

Huddlesfield is an exception I'll give you that, but brighton's squad was built up over a number of years, then Houghton was brought in in 2014, saving them from relegation, continueing to build and resulted in promotion, they had stability,

Thats what we are trying to do, a period of stability, Johnson has 10 games for me, this is his squad now, there no more excuses and if we are really struggling after those 10 games he has to go, if we are mid-table and up then thats progress  

4 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

To think that SOD wanted to sign Assombalonga permanently from Watford but was told he couldn't due to finances and so we put in a loan bid. Assombalonga then signed for Peterborough for approx. £1.5m.

The purse strings appear to be a little looser these days.

prob something to do with more finances coming in to the club with bigger crowd and corporate facilities and the high earners had gone, where as SoD still had loads of over paid player (alot he added himself) crowds were dwindling and we had no corporate facilities,

If we had the ground we wanted back then (ashton Vale) then SoD would of got his player

Archived