IGNORED

Gustav interview...

EmersonsRed

4 hours ago, EnclosureSurge said:

Some great comments on here, positive towards Gus.

I disagree that it's now or never...he's 21, we have seen, what, 70 mins of him v Hull (which impressed me, I thought he was excellent in that game up against Maguire and Dawson, was it?).

Maybe don't send him out on loan to Sweden again, but I don't see the harm of him going to Portsmouth, Plymouth, Charlton or somewhere of a decent size, a team challenging up near the top (if, indeed, any of those three do challenge). If he went there till January - and we had cover of Taylor/Đurić fit, plus Fammy, Wilbs and maybe one new signing - and scored 5, 6, 7 goals... that's not now or never. He'd be in good shape to come back to us and look to get on the bench and work from there.

We are clearly building a framework of young, U23 players going out on loan in this country. The fact he's Swedish made sense he went back there for a bit (and was a success, by almost any standard, let's not forget). Allowing him to do the same as Vyner, Moore, Reid and Bryan (who went on loan to Plymouth aged 19/20 or so) would fit in to what we are doing with our U23s. He's 21, he's played 70 mins, he hasn't been tested in this country, it isn't now or never for me. The only shadow over all that is the price tag, but that wasn't of his making. That was clearly a cute move by whoever we signed him from, apologies I don't recall their name.

If he'd cost £200,000 or was English or had come through our academy, would we be saying it's now or never? Probably not. He's no clown, you can see that from the training shots (mind, it was only Frankie in goals!). I think he's got plenty of time to 'prove' himself/be given a chance, with us now or after a loan in this country.

Football has no patience these days. There's no bloody hurry! Good on him for his interview - no mean feat after what he's 'been through' and that he is only 21. Pretty sure I wasn't so level-headed at that age. Well, I know I wasn't.

I'm looking forward to maybe seeing him play a bit for us this season some time, and, if not this, then maybe next season.

But didn't he refuse to go on loan to L1 last season?

And in his sub appearance against Brentford at home he did a passable impersonation of a headless chicken who'd never heard of the offside law.

6 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

And in his sub appearance against Brentford at home he did a passable impersonation of a headless chicken who'd never heard of the offside law.

We were chasing the game for the vast part of that appearance, frustratingly chasing a slick Brentford side who wouldn't let us have the ball.  He was certainly pumped up when he came on.  He was much more impressive v Hull.  Would've been nice to have seen him partner Tammy that night.

there must have been a reason we signed him for a large fee, whatever it was, with most people on here saying we are doomed or at best a season of struggle awaits, what reason can there be for not giving him a proper go, if it works out great, if not well at least we gave it a go.

16 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

to be fair kodjia never seemed to pay much attention to the offside rule, didn't do him any harm in the end did it.

14 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Hopefully he will be given a chance. No one knows the details of what actually happened with regards his lack of game time, but let's hope that he gets an opportunity to contest for a place, and when it comes, he takes it.

Totally agree, the lad deserves his chance & hopefully he grabs it :fingerscrossed:

13 hours ago, BCFC OF SWEDEN said:

Last time we played a team from the swedish League it was Helsingborg, we lost 4-0....

If I am not mistaken, was that during the middle of the Swedish season? That's not to say they're not a better side but it probably exacerbated the scoreline.

43 minutes ago, Coppello said:

If I am not mistaken, was that during the middle of the Swedish season? That's not to say they're not a better side but it probably exacerbated the scoreline.

Thats right! I also think that Championship  is better than the swedish league. But some people here on OTIB, looks like them think Championship is also better than the Bundesliga. Im thinking of the Hegeler discussion. He played from start in december in Herta Berlin and didnt get in our side at the time we were losing Every game.  Ok i knew he got a few games but you must get him time. Im 100% sure that he is a better football player  than most of our player in midfield and also a better player than in Flint in the defence for an example! Its the same with Hörður, he plays for a team which beat England last time and he had also problems for the last 25 games last season. Its all about if you want footballers in the team. Now we will maybe get a real footballer Eliasson, whats gonna happend to him......

• Admin

The interesting part was right at the end when asked about whether he would be with us next season and he mentioned he was to sit down and discuss this with LJ

Can't see him wanting to be sent out on loan again, to me it seems either he plays for us or he will push for a permanent move away

5 minutes ago, phantom said:

The interesting part was right at the end when asked about whether he would be with us next season and he mentioned he was to sit down and discuss this with LJ

Can't see him wanting to be sent out on loan again, to me it seems either he plays for us or he will push for a permanent move away

Very much the impression I got, and I wouldn't begrudge him that stance.

Last year he hung around with us for six-to-eight months and barely played, and once he got out on loan he has been scoring regularly, and achieved his aim of making the U21 Euros.

I'd understand if he backs himself to move away properly and get on with his career if LJ doesn't plan for him to play for us in the short term.

Gustav himself has said he wan't to be loaned out to Djurgården for the rest of the season.

This is not in Citys interest. Either we sell him to Djurgården or more likely, if the Eliasson rumour is true, to IFK Norrköpng (Engvall plus cash). What we need to make sure is that we get a very good sell on clause.

3 hours ago, reformed_red said:

I think the big question the club needs to answer following the video clip of the interview is....WTF is Bobby Reid's hair about???

Tis shocking. I find it very selfish of bobby giving the fact we are the ones who have to look at it while he only has to put up with it when brushing his teeth or walking past reflective surface.

For me, it's not even about the transfer fee. We paid what is a reasonable amount for talent nowadays, and frankly I think that if the fans are worrying about transfer fees then it's an indication that the club isn't as far ahead as we'd like to think.

I want our young talent to be playing competitive football as much as humanely possible. If it means a loan to a League 1 club then so be it, but the club needs to show that its investment is worthwhile. If we spent £2-3m on a player that was never going to play Championship football then it reflects badly on the clubs vision. At some point, we need to have faith in our talent, otherwise all the work that's been put into the academy is for nothing.

3 hours ago, bristolcitysweden said:

Gustav himself has said he wan't to be loaned out to Djurgården for the rest of the season.

This is not in Citys interest. Either we sell him to Djurgården or more likely, if the Eliasson rumour is true, to IFK Norrköpng (Engvall plus cash). What we need to make sure is that we get a very good sell on clause.

I'm not sure I'd be happy with us swapping Engvall (2.5 Million was it?) for Eliasson, and also giving them cash on top. How much is this kid worth?

5 hours ago, Coppello said:

We should've played the return leg in the middle of our season. But not the middle of last season.....

My personal opinion is that it is us, the fans, who are making it a "debacle". We signed him, expecting him to play more and Tammy was even better and adapted quicker than we expected. He got homesick, fairly understandable for a 20 year old who is disappointed his big money move hasn't turned out the way it was supposed to and he went back to enjoy the game and be closer to friends and family again. Now he's back and our need for him is greater.

Seems fairly simple to me.

1 hour ago, Carey 6 said:

I'm not sure I'd be happy with us swapping Engvall (2.5 Million was it?) for Eliasson, and also giving them cash on top. How much is this kid worth?

I guessed the offer was £1,5m in one of the threads but giving it a second thought and the fact that he has 2½ year left on his contract probably £2.5m. I don't think we will get more than £750,000 selling Gustav back to Sweden. Maybe a valuation of £1m if Engvall is part of the deal.  

48 minutes ago, RockleazeRed said:

My personal opinion is that it is us, the fans, who are making it a "debacle". We signed him, expecting him to play more and Tammy was even better and adapted quicker than we expected. He got homesick, fairly understandable for a 20 year old who is disappointed his big money move hasn't turned out the way it was supposed to and he went back to enjoy the game and be closer to friends and family again. Now he's back and our need for him is greater.

Seems fairly simple to me.

Agree, and yes it's a lot of money for us, but we are in a league now where paying 10 mill plus is not out of the ordinary, down in league 1 you can spend 200 - 500k on a player and hope they progress and you may get 1.5 million for them, we are way beyond that now, we are in a league where people are takings risks on players that they hope will do a job for 1.5-2.5 million, if they turn out well then they get sold on for 10-20 million quid.

Buying a player for 1-2 million and it not working is something we are going to have to accept going forward as it's the only way we are going to pick up players that either push us up the league, or we can sell on for 15 million ala Kodja.  We aren't going to be picking many players up "on the cheap" as we see it, and assuming we stay in this league and push towards the upper eschelons we are going to be smashing our transfer record a number of times over the coming years. To the point where 10 million + is just the price of proven players at this level, and 2 million is signing a player who we hope will come good but may not work out at all.

A bit late in the thread and only based on what I saw when he played vs Fulham in the league cup (plus highlights from Hull), but my worry with Engvall is that he's not quite good enough to compensate for what he lacks physically. There looks to talent there but he's not quick or strong and without those qualities in the Championship you really need to be technically very good, which I don't think we've seen yet.

Hope he gets a run in the team and proves me wrong but I can see him heading back to Sweden fairly soon. 

20170719_151312.thumb.jpg.2e8a6a025597538d13cb2f91617f226f.jpg

4 hours ago, bristolcitysweden said:

IFK Norrköping have a very good record of taking on players that for some reason have faded.

Ex. Stoke City player Mikael "Spike" Hansson is Player Manager at the club and great at man management.

Mikael and his family were our opposite neighbours.

A lovely man and a lovely family. His nickname was actually Pike as in the freshwater fish.

He would provide me with comps whenever we played against him. He also played in that Wembley final. In return, I provided Mikael with a couple of photos I took from my seat of him on the pitch. Naturally,  you could just recognise him in the distance. So, he knows all about BCFC!

I even photo bombed his feature in a newspaper a hot BCFC mentioned. No real idea what it says! Translations welcomed as would any commission from the transfer fee. I must take some credit!

Archived