IGNORED

Struggle

Langford Red

I can understand why people think we will struggle again this season and that is largely down to LJ. I read most of the other championship club forums and most agree it will be tough. Im surprised about the optimism of the newly promoted teams. Sheff Utd fans feel they can get top ten with their title winning team. 

Funnily enough we have been rarely mentioned as a relegation candidate. The favourites so far seem to be Burton, Barnsley, Bolton, Millwall, Ipswich and QPR!

17 minutes ago, Oops said:

Sounds like you're covering all the bases to me.

If we're shit you'll gloat, if we're average you'll gloat, and if we're great you'll be the first to jump the barrier.

I'll just be there supporting the team, minding my own business and loving Bristol City.

I won't gloat, I will be as upset as you will be if we struggle.

I will support the team.

I obviously hope we do well.

My opinion currently is that we will struggle.

That's it.

ps/I hope as much as you do that we do well.

We don't need this turning into Asschat/North Korea where by people who voice objections or suggest we may struggle are snuffed out.

It'd be most unhealthy, if so.

8 hours ago, Monkeh said:

We've lost 2 players from the squad that finished the season strongly,

1 was Tammy who was replaced with the French lad

the other was little who was replace with the Italian, we are no worse off,

i pretty sure millwall, burton, Ipswich, qpr, forest  Wîll all finish below us,

the other problem is thanks to parachute payments and ffp it's impossible for us to compete with any team that have been relegated in the last 5 years from the prem and by my count that's around 8

which puts bang on course for mid table

Firstly, we don't know that we will be no worse off with the 2 newbies who replaced proven players; secondly from Dec 10th to March 11th last season we failed to beat anyone (including a couple of those that will now "finish below us" this season) in the league, bar Rotherham who were relegated.

So how exactly are we on course for a mid table position, as I see things IF the newbies are as good as the players they are replacing we will still be in for a relegation scrap...like last season.

As City fans, most seem to assume that we will somehow improve while the other teams are going to be worse, that is just a hope, while in fact there is not much at the moment to say that is going to happen......Sorry.

28 minutes ago, glos old boy said:

Firstly, we don't know that we will be no worse off with the 2 newbies who replaced proven players; secondly from Dec 10th to March 11th last season we failed to beat anyone (including a couple of those that will now "finish below us" this season) in the league, bar Rotherham who were relegated.

So how exactly are we on course for a mid table position, as I see things IF the newbies are as good as the players they are replacing we will still be in for a relegation scrap...like last season.

As City fans, most seem to assume that we will somehow improve while the other teams are going to be worse, that is just a hope, while in fact there is not much at the moment to say that is going to happen......Sorry.

apart from the way we finished the season, getting rid of the most disruptive person in the dressing room who when dropped the whole team lifted and we pulled clear, 

the loudest are all doom and gloom but they are also the vast minority, most who would rather see city go down so they can prove a vindictive point against Johnson, then get behind the team,

Last season has finished, its gone over,

11 hours ago, Bicester Red said:

Lets be honest

Unless some big tansfer activity comes before the start of the season

We will struggle  

We have bought a £5 mil plus Striker,  who has a very poor record of scoring!

Transfers will have to start happening soon

I am already worried for us in this coming season

We cn not continue with the last season team, who struggled to stay up 

I think there will be something happening, but the new season is very close, and the team need to jell now not during the first 2 months 

Ah Bicester, another one hoping we're gonna struggle just to have something to winge about, same people every f*****g day, lets wait and see

8 hours ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

I can understand why people think we will struggle again this season and that is largely down to LJ. I read most of the other championship club forums and most agree it will be tough. Im surprised about the optimism of the newly promoted teams. Sheff Utd fans feel they can get top ten with their title winning team. 

Funnily enough we have been rarely mentioned as a relegation candidate. The favourites so far seem to be Burton, Barnsley, Bolton, Millwall, Ipswich and QPR!

So we should be able to sneak into 24th slot, entirely un-noticed by any of the others.

10 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

1. What on earth makes you think we are a "top club"? (The use of the word "other" qualifies us as such in your post. We are a small club at this level" trying to inprove our stature, NOT a top club.)

2. £80m odd got Villa where last season? They are risking everything on promotion before their parachute payments run out. 

I had a conversation about this with a pretty knowledgable Villa fan, they are on the borderline of FFP rules as it is, next season they will be in danger of breaching them despite parachute payments if they do not go up.

"Not much difference to last season except losing 2 top quality players"

One of them we knew was leaving as he was never our player. We have just smashed our transfer record on a signing in that position.

The other player had 2-3 good performances at most last season, the rest of the time he was a hinderance more than a help.

Thank you, exactly what I was going to reply to this post. 

I dont know how many (if any) new players we are going to sign before the 

new season starts but is there no optimism around that thinks that the 

Likes of o'dowda, brownhill,Magnússon,taylor,Đurić,patterson,hegeler,

I.e. the players who were settling in last season might actually come 

good?  Add to these the 2 new players lj jas just signed plus, dare I

Mention gustav engval and taylor moore, that is 11 players lj has

signed, are they all not good enough.

Sometimes I think we as a group of fans expect miracles, lots of teams

fans would be over the moon if their team were starting a new season

with the squad that we have.

Have faith.

59 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

apart from the way we finished the season, getting rid of the most disruptive person in the dressing room who when dropped the whole team lifted and we pulled clear, 

the loudest are all doom and gloom but they are also the vast minority, most who would rather see city go down so they can prove a vindictive point against Johnson, then get behind the team,

Last season has finished, its gone over,

I would love it for us to smash this div and get to the prem this season believe it or not; BUT I do not believe for one second that will happen.

This disruptive person galvanised us all not so long ago and we were all singing his praises. Lets see how the bad man effects Cardiff shall we?

There is no vendetta I just don't think LJ has it in him to take us to where we want to be, should I lie? minority or majority I don't care I`m just saying what I think, rightly or wrongly.

I am not a child or gashead I have been to many, many grounds over the past 50years and was a ST holder in the Dolman for the first 2 years, so please don't ever say I want us to go down, just for having an opinion on our manager and prospects.

Wanting and thinking are not the same.

I don't understand why there is so much pessimism and why people are talking like we only survived by the skin of our teeth last season. We were in the relegation zone for about 5 minutes and in the top 6 for significantly longer.

We've got an average squad for the division but margins are fine. We weren't that amazing in our good patches but we weren't that awful in the bad ones. Luck plays a big part. I think the fact that our defeats were concentrated in one horrible run has made a big difference to the perception of last season.

Pessimists assume that this season will be like last only without the good bits at the start and the end. It's just as likely that it'll be like last season but without the horrible run of form. It's overwhelmingly more likely that it'll be approximately the same, though hopefully with a more even distribution of results.

The only real area of concern is up front, where Diedhiou is an unknown quantity. The rest of the squad is much as it was and the young players have a year's more experience in the Championship. The outlook isn't that bleak at all.

1 hour ago, Monkeh said:

No no. I keep reading this sort of thing. It's wrong. Such people do not exist. There are no City fans that want us to fail, only those that are concerned that we haven't strengthened a team that nearly went down. It's not being vindictive, it's realisim. I think we will struggle this season. If I am wrong, I will not be bitter about it... I will be f****ing delighted.

26 minutes ago, BCFC_Dan said:

I don't understand why there is so much pessimism and why people are talking like we only survived by the skin of our teeth last season. We were in the relegation zone for about 5 minutes and in the top 6 for significantly longer.

We've got an average squad for the division but margins are fine. We weren't that amazing in our good patches but we weren't that awful in the bad ones. Luck plays a big part. I think the fact that our defeats were concentrated in one horrible run has made a big difference to the perception of last season.

Pessimists assume that this season will be like last only without the good bits at the start and the end. It's just as likely that it'll be like last season but without the horrible run of form. It's overwhelmingly more likely that it'll be approximately the same, though hopefully with a more even distribution of results.

The only real area of concern is up front, where Diedhiou is an unknown quantity. The rest of the squad is much as it was and the young players have a year's more experience in the Championship. The outlook isn't that bleak at all.

Pessimists live longer than optimists, Dan. The older, long-in-the-tooth optimistic City fans are dropping faster than the woe-is-us ones. That is probably why there is "so much pessimism."

A German study published by the American Psychological Association in 2013 revealed - turning received wisdom on its head - that "older people who have low expectations for a satisfying future may be likely to live longer, healthier lives than those who see brighter days ahead..."

Pessimistic City fans are simply attempting to maximise their living says, months and years in the (forlorn*) desperate hope of having any chance of seeing City do something meaningful, wonderful and exciting that doesn't involve being in L1 or playing in that stupid bloody lower league cup competition for losers and tinpots.

That is all. Long live the pessimists.

*my own pessimism revealed there

10 hours ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

like us Sheffield utd fans are in for a shock, I don't think they realise what a jump in class the championship is.

13 hours ago, Oops said:

Loved them in 82, loved them in 2009, love them now.

I'd watch the ******* in the Regional league Division 5. 

Am I a 'happy clapper'?

No, just easily pleased :)

3 hours ago, Jack Dawe said:

Pessimists live longer than optimists, Dan. The older, long-in-the-tooth optimistic City fans are dropping faster than the woe-is-us ones. That is probably why there is "so much pessimism."

A German study published by the American Psychological Association in 2013 revealed - turning received wisdom on its head - that "older people who have low expectations for a satisfying future may be likely to live longer, healthier lives than those who see brighter days ahead..."

Pessimistic City fans are simply attempting to maximise their living says, months and years in the (forlorn*) desperate hope of having any chance of seeing City do something meaningful, wonderful and exciting that doesn't involve being in L1 or playing in that stupid bloody lower league cup competition for losers and tinpots.

That is all. Long live the pessimists.

*my own pessimism revealed there

Pessimists are less likely to be disappointed that are Optimists.

5 hours ago, glos old boy said:

I would love it for us to smash this div and get to the prem this season believe it or not; BUT I do not believe for one second that will happen.

This disruptive person galvanised us all not so long ago and we were all singing his praises. Lets see how the bad man effects Cardiff shall we?

There is no vendetta I just don't think LJ has it in him to take us to where we want to be, should I lie? minority or majority I don't care I`m just saying what I think, rightly or wrongly.

I am not a child or gashead I have been to many, many grounds over the past 50years and was a ST holder in the Dolman for the first 2 years, so please don't ever say I want us to go down, just for having an opinion on our manager and prospects.

Wanting and thinking are not the same.

I don't think anyone should be expecting that we will be promoted to the premier league this season. I can see why they would be disappointed if that was their expectation. I just think that is an unrealistic expectation given the budgets of some of the teams we are up against. We are not in the market for £15m strikers. We have a decent squad that will compete, however. I hope for mid table. And I will enjoy that as the championship is great! 

6 hours ago, Nicki's soulmate said:

Ah Bicester, another one hoping we're gonna struggle just to have something to winge about, same people every f*****g day, lets wait and see

I don't think he is looking to have something to whinge about.we need 4/5 players who know the championship.In the championship we cannot wait and see, we've tried that.

3 hours ago, downendcity said:

Pessimists are less likely to be disappointed that are Optimists.

Optimists are optimists, how are they, by definition going to be more disappointed than someone who is a pessimist? Yeah, even i'm confused with this one.

16 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

Optimists are optimists, how are they, by definition going to be more disappointed than someone who is a pessimist? Yeah, even i'm confused with this one.

Quite.

If City are relegated this season then the pessimists will get to say "I told you so", but they won't as they'll be too busy lamenting the weakness of our squad for the rigours of league one. The optimists will probably just take a couple of months off OTIB and think about something nicer.

16 hours ago, eardun said:

I don't think anyone should be expecting that we will be promoted to the premier league this season. I can see why they would be disappointed if that was their expectation. I just think that is an unrealistic expectation given the budgets of some of the teams we are up against. We are not in the market for £15m strikers. We have a decent squad that will compete, however. I hope for mid table. And I will enjoy that as the championship is great! 

missing the point, the point that many believe we will improve with a less exp squad (or even if we had the same squad) while other teams will be worse; Could it also come to be that others will be better and we will be worse.

Please tell me why we will get better at the expense of others?

21 hours ago, eardun said:

Surely City now as a club given the set up you now have should be aiming for the premiership sometime soon?

The championship is such a strange league where those thin margins and key cogs make the difference between being a bottom half side and a promotion side..

Even as I gashead I would be very suprised if your club does not get into the premiership within 5 years if you get those key cogs in place.

10 minutes ago, Thatch35 said:

massive pressure on the new guy to score the goals to keep city up. If he doesn't or someone else city are down.

"If we dont score goals we will go down"

About the first factual thing you have posted, though an extremely basic concept.

But, having a 20 goal striker isn't important in the slightest if it means very few others score goals.

Last year we scored 60 league goals, personally I would be far happier if each of our outfield players chipped in with 6 goals each, than the same distribution as last year, as it removes any reliance.

6 hours ago, icegas said:

Surely City now as a club given the set up you now have should be aiming for the premiership sometime soon?

The championship is such a strange league where those thin margins and key cogs make the difference between being a bottom half side and a promotion side..

Even as I gashead I would be very suprised if your club does not get into the premiership within 5 years if you get those key cogs in place.

Agree. Just that expecting promotion this season is too soon in my view. 

12 hours ago, glos old boy said:

missing the point, the point that many believe we will improve with a less exp squad (or even if we had the same squad) while other teams will be worse; Could it also come to be that others will be better and we will be worse.

Please tell me why we will get better at the expense of others?

I just feel we improved and had learned by the end of last season. So if we can maintain the form we showed towards the end of season, and avoid the mid season crash, I can see us being mid table (which I would see as progress). No guarantees of course but I see no point going into the new season feeling gloomy. For a start, I'm just pleased we are in the championship given our recent history!

1 hour ago, eardun said:

I just feel we improved and had learned by the end of last season. So if we can maintain the form we showed towards the end of season, and avoid the mid season crash, I can see us being mid table (which I would see as progress). No guarantees of course but I see no point going into the new season feeling gloomy. For a start, I'm just pleased we are in the championship given our recent history!

In the last 8 games we collected 13pts out of 24pts available and the prev 8 brought us only 2 wins; an improvement on our record breaking rubbish results between Dec and March maybe but nothing to strike fear into this div there I`m afraid.

Archived