IGNORED

England Women Euro 2017 (Merged)

13 minutes ago, Rob k said:

On the radio - has mentioned city about 10 times!!

Bristol City got a mention on the telly too. We're here, we're there, we're every ******** where.

Our manager, does he always wear shirts that are four sizes too small?

Cripes. Enjoyed watching this more than the men's team. Never thought I'd say that. 

Hopefully, Southgate is watching. Positive, powerful, progressive football - the modern way. Not the SOD possession- bore fest that went out in the 90's.

Could this England Woman's team hold it's own at any level of the men's football league?

Prem is a no as is the Championship but could they finish higher than the Gas, or avoid relegation out of the Football League?

Having watched Mangotfield United a few times last season I'm constantly surprised about how physical and fast paced the game is at that level.

Surely it would be disingenuous to place an international women's side at Downs level.

Just a thought,  but at the end of each game does Mark Sampson sit in the changing rooms conducting the debrief with a bag on his head or does he get to cop an eyeful each time ?? Don't wish to be non PC but just curious what the protocol would be ?

9 minutes ago, Baldyman said:

Just a thought,  but at the end of each game does Mark Sampson sit in the changing rooms conducting the debrief with a bag on his head or does he get to cop an eyeful each time ?? Don't wish to be non PC but just curious what the protocol would be ?

I imagine he waits until they're changed?

52 minutes ago, Baldyman said:

I used to referee rugby matches on Wednesday afternoons when the majority of games are Universities etc. Every now and again a Ladies match would come up my list. Before the game you have to go in to the changing room and have a chat with the players, tell them what you want from them :) and check studs. Some of em would have little or nothing on when putting their studs up for inspection and with a bit of banter too. Then afterwards, a share of the bath or showers with 30 odd young ladies. And then they get you a drink in the bar.

1 hour ago, Flounder said:

Could this England Woman's team hold it's own at any level of the men's football league?

Prem is a no as is the Championship but could they finish higher than the Gas, or avoid relegation out of the Football League?

Having watched Mangotfield United a few times last season I'm constantly surprised about how physical and fast paced the game is at that level.

Surely it would be disingenuous to place an international women's side at Downs level.

One of Yoevils female players works for the Somerset FA as a tutor for coaches. She takes part in her coaching v males. Her football skill level is on par with male players at semi pro level, easily. 

2 hours ago, Erithacus said:

Both Scottish fullbacks are City girls. Bet they wish they had an easier first game - our (Lionesses) fitness and speed of thought are really starting to become a factor.

Thing is Chloe Arthur the Scottish left back is basically a number 10 / attacking midfielder for City.  God knows why she's left back.  The equivalent of sticking Paterson left back.  She had that Nobbs plus Lucy Bronze to contend with. A comparison to the mens' game would be Dani Alves right back and maybe Pedro right mid.  No wonder she got overrun poor girl.

58 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

One of Yoevils female players works for the Somerset FA as a tutor for coaches. She takes part in her coaching v males. Her football skill level is on par with male players at semi pro level, easily. 

I did my Level 1 with Natasha Harding who now plays for Liverpool.  Technically she was above semi pro.  Never seen anyone jump so high off the ground to head it. 

2 hours ago, Flounder said:

City Women had a warm up against Keynsham Town in April I believe.  That's an indicator.  Big difference is physicality.  Who's competing with Flinty in the air?

5 hours ago, The Bard said:

City Women had a warm up against Keynsham Town in April I believe.  That's an indicator.  Big difference is physicality.  Who's competing with Flinty in the air?

This - I've no doubt a semi pro men's team would beat that England team by 8 or more goals despite them being as skilful. 

Womens football has come on leaps and bounds (keepers are still bad mind!!) so just enjoy it for what it is!

I would say women's skill level very high it's the physical part they would struggle.  US women's team lost 5-0 to Dallas FC under 15 boys in April & a much fancied Australia women's lost 7-0  to a local under 15  boys just before the last world cup.

Some of the reasons fans are liking the women's game is the emphasis on skill and technical stuff, rather than the 'combative' efforts of the men; that and the stark absence of faking injuries or diving makes for a more respectable sport. Of course, football is a physical game and relies on a certain amount of strength (the Lionesses are showing the improvements in that area now) but the women tend to have less reliance on it. Expect them to continue to grow in a slightly different direction to the men's on the field.

16 hours ago, Super said:

Is it just me that cant stand clare balding?!

She must really hope that she never suffers from hair loss.

You're not alone, my old man starts twitching every time she appears on the TV screen. He's convinced there's a plot for lesbians to take over the BBC!

49 minutes ago, Sir Colby-Tit said:

She must really hope that she never suffers from hair loss.

You're not alone, my old man starts twitching every time she appears on the TV screen. He's convinced there's a plot for lesbians to take over the BBC!

She's on Channel 4 though...

In fact their energy and team ethic is outstanding.  There was a moment about 10 minutes ago when the right back carried the ball into midfield, lost it in a dangerous position and 5 of them sprinted back to cover her and snuffed out the chance of a goal.

Archived